Author Topic: [IC] Full-Size Custom Plate...Ducky Shine II or Universal?  (Read 4388 times)

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
[IC] Full-Size Custom Plate...Ducky Shine II or Universal?
« on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 00:55:58 »
This is an interest check for a Full-Size Custom Plate.

It started here with my goal of having a custom plate for my Ducky Shine 2: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44740

Now I need to gauge how much interest there is in this project and if compatibility should be expanded beyond the Shine 2 into a universal plate.

INTEREST CHECK

Offline turtle

Re: [IC] Full-Size Custom Plate...Ducky Shine II or Universal?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 17:45:13 »
Would be interested if it would fit a ducky shine 9008s.. Wouldn't mind if the plate won't cover the num pad but would be awesome if it did.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 18:05:19 »
Filco fullsize?

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 21:15:31 »
was this the $100 plate?
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline gnubag

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 21:17:36 »
Filco fullsize?

you would need a way to remove the top right 4 switches.

that is also why an uni plate is not really working. so there have to be 2 seperate plate 1 ducky plate and a uni plate for filco, rosewill, kbt, etc.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 21:20:18 »
Or Ducky users could accept not having those four switches plate mounted?

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 21:35:19 »
I'm very interested in this. For a Filco, though, and I've been thinking about running a similar GB as my first GB once I've reached my 60 post milestone and have generally established myself as a noob-in-good-standing (Note: I already have one great xaction with a Gh-er, I'm listed on heatware and I absolutely can't wait to participate!!!). Can you tell I'm excited!!?? LOL. Anyway...

I'm very interested in a plate that allows for solderless switch modding (that's a must-have for me). Another property I would like a universal plate to have: ensuring that it doesn't have a negative impact on a user's ability to adopt aftermarket controllers (don't know how much of an issue this is or isn't, but it's something I'd definitely keep in the back of my mind).

Oh.. and it has to be available unifinished or in black. Personally, I think any color besides black just looks gaudy.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline gnubag

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 21:40:29 »
I'm very interested in this. For a Filco, though, and I've been thinking about running a similar GB as my first GB once I've reached my 60 post milestone and have generally established myself as a noob-in-good-standing (Note: I already have one great xaction with a Gh-er, I'm listed on heatware and I absolutely can't wait to participate!!!). Can you tell I'm excited!!?? LOL. Anyway...

I'm very interested in a plate that allows for solderless switch modding (that's a must-have for me). Another property I would like a universal plate to have: ensuring that it doesn't have a negative impact on a user's ability to adopt aftermarket controllers (don't know how much of an issue this is or isn't, but it's something I'd definitely keep in the back of my mind).

Oh.. and it has to be available unifinished or in black. Personally, I think any color besides black just looks gaudy.

for the controller the plate does not really matter (looking at a filco and a rosewill) as long as it is not bigger than the original plate (which the custom plate should not be)

also most likely the plate will be just plain aluminium or steel which allows you to customize it without having other people suffering from high prices due to the finish.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 23:11:34 »
was this the $100 plate?
This is an IC to check if focus should be shifted to a universal plate instead of just for the Shine II that I have.

Filco fullsize?
I don't have a Filco to use for reference.  Any volunteers? ;D

Or Ducky users could accept not having those four switches plate mounted?
Assuming that the four switch holes does not interfere with the universality of the plate...can these just be left empty for other keyboards without these switches?  The top cover would cover up the empty switch holes.

Well, it's not entirely solderless :'( ...you still need to desolder the switches to remove the stock plate and the resolder the switches to install the custom plate.

If this comes to fruition, I could use some help with logistics stateside. :cool:

Offline turtle

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 08:57:55 »
Make it happen!

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 09:17:12 »
Make it happen!

Trying to!  So far just have 2 responses for Rosewill compatibility.

If there's not enough interest I'll still go ahead with a Shine2 plate for myself and other that are interested.

The laser cutter I've spoken to most recently also has the equipment for bending so they can do the bend on the upper and lower edges of the plate...but they need the original plate as a reference.

Current Challenge: MAKE TIME TO DISASSEMBLE THE SHINE 2.

Offline turtle

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 09:47:33 »
I hope that same plate can be used for the first one. If you are taking apart your board you should make you should modify your switch top so you can modify in the future with out desoldering the LEDs.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 10:20:36 »
I hope that same plate can be used for the first one. If you are taking apart your board you should make you should modify your switch top so you can modify in the future with out desoldering the LEDs.

Oh yeah, that's the other reason I wanted to have the plate on hand when I visit the cutter...I might be able to convince them to modify the existing plate as a prototype or something.

Regarding the switch top mod...I did some practice with a dremel on the switch tops for my QFR.  Doing 108 switch tops for the Shine 2 will be...umm...I don't want to think about that right now haha

Offline turtle

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 16:14:41 »

Oh yeah, that's the other reason I wanted to have the plate on hand when I visit the cutter...I might be able to convince them to modify the existing plate as a prototype or something.

Regarding the switch top mod...I did some practice with a dremel on the switch tops for my QFR.  Doing 108 switch tops for the Shine 2 will be...umm...I don't want to think about that right now haha

Yes I agree. Another reason why I left my ducky stock. But when I do take it apart might as well do the whole shabang. So much to solder and desolder too. Royal pain