Author Topic: Model M spacebar repair?  (Read 2867 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Model M spacebar repair?
« on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 02:55:33 »
Hey guys,

One of the stabilizer clips has broken off of my Model M's spacebar. I know I could just order a whole new spacebar, but I'd much rather repair it if possible. (You know, that feeling of fulfillment...) Didn't someone have a forum thread here with a fix for this? I looked around but couldn't find it. Thanks!
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Model M spacebar repair?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 03:16:04 »
There's this, but no pics.

Then there's this.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 00:18:53 »
Thanks, Rowdy. I did see that first one, but couldn't visualize what he meant:

Quote from: WubbaDucki
1. Take two garbage twist ties, burn off the outside plastic, and clean wires
2. Twist wires together to strengthen
3. Wrap wire around metal space bar bracket, then
4. Navigate remaining wire around plastic space bar hole
5. Hot glue it!

He's wiring the stabilizer to the clip, then gluing it on? But wouldn't that immobilize it? And I'm not sure how your 2nd reference would apply here.

I've used the super-glue-and-baking-soda technique to fix split PBT keycaps, but the problem here is that the bar must be able to move.

I know I could order another whole spacebar for just a few bucks, but it seems a shame to jettison this one because of a tiny broken-off piece o' PBT. I figured that by now you guys had encountered this and established a standard fix for it.

What if I put a blob of hot glue over the clip, let it cool, then drill a 1/16" hole through it? Or would a blob of JB-Weld be better?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 06:11:13 »
Thanks, Rowdy. I did see that first one, but couldn't visualize what he meant:

Quote from: WubbaDucki
1. Take two garbage twist ties, burn off the outside plastic, and clean wires
2. Twist wires together to strengthen
3. Wrap wire around metal space bar bracket, then
4. Navigate remaining wire around plastic space bar hole
5. Hot glue it!

He's wiring the stabilizer to the clip, then gluing it on? But wouldn't that immobilize it? And I'm not sure how your 2nd reference would apply here.

I've used the super-glue-and-baking-soda technique to fix split PBT keycaps, but the problem here is that the bar must be able to move.

I know I could order another whole spacebar for just a few bucks, but it seems a shame to jettison this one because of a tiny broken-off piece o' PBT. I figured that by now you guys had encountered this and established a standard fix for it.

What if I put a blob of hot glue over the clip, let it cool, then drill a 1/16" hole through it? Or would a blob of JB-Weld be better?

If you have a sufficiently small drill (e.g. a pin vice) the blob of glue and drilled hole would probably be a workable solution.

I think most people just discard broken space bars - it is much easier to buy a replacement than to try to fix a broken one.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 10:43:24 »
Okay, in a pinch, you could drill two small holes in the spacebar above the clips.  Just be careful when you attach the stabilizer.  It will work.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 02:07:25 »
Thanks a lot, guys! I'll try the JB-Weld idea first, as I can always remove it if it doesn't work. I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 20:54:38 »
I cut a piece of a flat toothpick and JB-Welded it against the spacebar's side wall, adajent to the clip's base, as shown here (plagiarizing someone else's photo):

With more JB-W, I then filled the gap between the protruding part of the toothpick and the remaining half of the stabilizer-bar clip; then I smeared JB-W over the bottom part of the toothpick and the adjacent key wall, to further secure it.

I'll let it cure overnight, then drill a hole for the stabilizer wire.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 20:52:05 »
Sorry I haven't posted about this again yet. Between my work and family there's rarely much time for me to work on fun stuff like this. I did the JB-Welding and tried drilling a hole for the wire, but I was in a hurry and drilled it too far from the long side of the key, so the wire's uneven. Must re-cement and try again.  :?|

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 21:51:20 »
Success! I remembered I had a small round jeweler's file, so I used it to widen the hole. That end of the stabilizer can now sit back far enough. The fix isn't pretty, but it's not visible, and the spacebar works perfectly. (Sorry, I took these without realizing I hadn't blown off the filing dust.)

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 22:22:43 »
Does look awful.  But, it works and that is all that matters.  :-)
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline SpartanD63

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 01:24:35 »
That looks pretty terrible, but since it works and isn't visible, I'd say that it's a good job.  :)

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 02:05:49 »
That JB-Weld worked out pretty well it looks like. How is the sound and feel?

I did this (http://imgur.com/a/wLlg6) 2 years ago and it's still holding up perfectly. Has quite a bit more ping to which 0100010 suggest using a nylon bolt. I should probably do that already. Could have just bought a new one but this was much more fun.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 02:16:00 »
Does look awful.  But, it works and that is all that matters.  :-)

+1

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 04:41:29 »
LOL—I'm looking at these photos again, and it sure does look ugly! But that's just because I borrowed my son's macro lens so I could get right up to it, and it picked up all kinds of miniscule details you'd never see in person.

The bracket I added isn't much bigger than the tiny clips that are normally on IBM spacebars. In other words, it's the size an ant—and consider how they look when you magnify them to this size!

As I think I mentioned, I smeared the extra JB-Weld on the inside to secure the added piece as well as possible. It looks like a mess here, but it was actually done quite deliberately.

Well, next time I'll settle for shots with a bit less precision.  :?)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 05:39:42 »
LOL—I'm looking at these photos again, and it sure does look ugly! But that's just because I borrowed my son's macro lens so I could get right up to it, and it picked up all kinds of miniscule details you'd never see in person.

The bracket I added isn't much bigger than the tiny clips that are normally on IBM spacebars. In other words, it's the size an ant—and consider how they look when you magnify them to this size!

As I think I mentioned, I smeared the extra JB-Weld on the inside to secure the added piece as well as possible. It looks like a mess here, but it was actually done quite deliberately.

Well, next time I'll settle for shots with a bit less precision.  :?)

There are bull ants down here about 1cm long - nasty little buggers really sting when they bite you.

But anyway it works, that's the main thing, and you wouldn't see the gory details most of the time anyway.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 00:46:06 »
But anyway it works, that's the main thing, and you wouldn't see the gory details most of the time anyway.

Oh, I dunno, I may take it off now and then and look at it. Things are pretty slow here in the suburbs.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 05:29:57 »

Oh, I dunno, I may take it off now and then and look at it. Things are pretty slow here in the suburbs.

Hardcore keyboard nerd :eek: :p

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 05:01:55 »
Ha ha, thanks!

The next time this is necessary, I think I'm just going to fashion a tiny wire loop and cement that in place. I just wanted to see if this would work. JB-Weld is impressive stuff... Maybe we could mold some keycaps out of it!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 05:50:46 »
Ha ha, thanks!

The next time this is necessary, I think I'm just going to fashion a tiny wire loop and cement that in place. I just wanted to see if this would work. JB-Weld is impressive stuff... Maybe we could mold some keycaps out of it!

You have tried one approach for the sake of keyboard science.  The wire option may work too, if you have something that will bond metal to plastic.