Author Topic: Homelabs of Geekhack  (Read 4844 times)

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
Homelabs of Geekhack
« on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 20:44:49 »
I figure I might as well combine my two favorite topics...

Post pictures or network diagrams of your homelabs; I know one of you has one!

I'll upload photos of mine once I get it updated this weekend (have two r620s on the way).
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Homelabs of Geekhack
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 20:50:01 »
I have never drawn a diagram of mine.

It is a lot more boring now than it used to be.

Back in the day I had a small cluster of rack-mount Sun servers, plus a couple of Dell servers and a few bits of networking gear, and many workstations.

Now it is one modem/router, one server, and about half a dozen workstations.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 21:13:06 »
Back in the day I had a small cluster of rack-mount Sun servers, plus a couple of Dell servers and a few bits of networking gear, and many workstations.

I knew I'd  find some of you here! Whatcha got?
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 October 2018, 21:35:23 »
My current 'server' is a 2007 mobo based PC slash Arch LNMP nextcloud thingy held together with twigs and bubblegum. Though I would loave to see what other GH users are using. Especially Gear with ZFS.

edit - I meant to type "I would love to see", but failed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 November 2018, 12:26:48 by csmertx »

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 08:39:34 »
I haven't drawn a diagram of my network because I haven't seen the need to it's stupidly simple.
Using 2 gigabit switches, 1 router, 1 server, 2 workstations and 1 Raspberry Pi.
RPi is running RasPlex and it's placed in the living room.
Also have my 2 workstations placed in the living room, that was the wife's decision she said she'd never see me otherwise.  :p
Server is placed in my 'server room' which is just a room I dedicated to all my tech ****.

Hoping to snag a first gen Threadripper at some point and update the server.

EDIT: Oh I forgot, the server is used for storage and whatever project I might be working on. Or if I need to learn something for work.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 10:27:31 »
Nice try NSA _rubik. !!!

Ah damn ya' caught me! I suppose this is very much an "I'll show you mine if you show me yours"?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 20:53:29 »

I knew I'd  find some of you here! Whatcha got?

HP MicroServer as the main server.  Older HP Proliant as an occasional database server.  Bunch of workstations of various types, vintages and OSes.

Nothing very exciting any more.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 02:34:53 »
Well, I thought it was simple enough, it got complicated as I remembered how many systems are around the house.

This is just my day to day stuff.
I always have a pile of stuff I'm toying with or just sitting collecting dust.
206473-0
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 02:43:14 »
I haven't drawn a diagram of my network because I haven't seen the need to it's stupidly simple.

I thought mine was simple until I started to try and describe it, it became easier to just draw it up (with stolen clipart*).

I went the opposite on my file server, I used a low power G/T series processor (G630T), even with 2 drives it never pulls more than 45 watts  and only then if it's compressing a file from one drive to another. What do you have on your desktop if you want a Threadripper for a server... More importantly, what are you doing with the server that needs Threadripper?

*Who the heck pays those kind of prices for a networking diagram utility, I'm in the wrong business.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 04:24:04 »

I thought mine was simple until I started to try and describe it, it became easier to just draw it up (with stolen clipart*).

I went the opposite on my file server, I used a low power G/T series processor (G630T), even with 2 drives it never pulls more than 45 watts  and only then if it's compressing a file from one drive to another. What do you have on your desktop if you want a Threadripper for a server... More importantly, what are you doing with the server that needs Threadripper?

*Who the heck pays those kind of prices for a networking diagram utility, I'm in the wrong business.
I'm currently hosting a few game servers for friends, which I'd like to expand to include a few more games. Running some VMs with various Linux distributions for learning purposes. As it is I'm always running out of available cores.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 15:12:34 »
This diagrams why y'all arn't getting the FULL Tp4-xperience.

206494-0

Offline JP

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 12:15:16 »
TP4 > The entire internet  :))
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 12:58:33 »
just picked up an r710

most likely going to slap unRaid on it - play around with docker and VMs.  only problem is where to put it, my IT rack isn't deep enough for a server :/

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 18:15:19 »
oh a network diagram of my lab...

*goes to install Visio on work PC*

well not done in Visio, but a reasonably accurate diagram

all solid lines are 10Gbps fiber, big dashed are 1GB copper, others are just informational

this is a conjoined lab between myself and my neighbor+coworker

206567-0
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 November 2018, 19:00:24 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 19:55:34 »
If I had my wits about me, my 'lab' would probably look something like this. No questions please.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 02 November 2018, 20:19:00 »
If I had my wits about me, my 'lab' would probably look something like this. No questions please.

Show Image

Such Happy, Much Art. !!

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 09:44:35 »
 I JUST bought a r720 that should be here by the end of the week. I'll update with photos/diagrams then