Author Topic: Looking for Cherry ML 2U keys  (Read 2013 times)

Offline lach

Looking for Cherry ML 2U keys
« on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 01:13:58 »
I am building a low profile travel keyboard and need to source some 2U cherry ml keycaps for the thumb keys (~4 for the prototype).

I have inquired with Signature Plastics and they can't help without placing a > $100 order which is out of range for me. I am also waiting to hear back from devlin, and will contact smartkeyboardsolutions.com if they come back negative.

I have a cherry g84-4100 which I was hoping to pull a few off but have realized that the shift and enter keys on my one are a bit smaller than 2U and can't find anything on ebay that dosen't look like it has the same key dimensions as the g84, I also have a plum which is the primary donor for the prototype but it has 1u and 3u so no help there.

I was wondering if anyone here had ideas of where else I may be able to source these type of keycaps? any and all options considered (3d printing ?, moulding ?, some obscure make of board  I have never heard of ?) as I have sent the pcb off for build.

thanks for reading.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Looking for Cherry ML 2U keys
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 07:00:35 »
Why not wait for Kailh PG1350? The switches should be better than Cherry ML, and should come with good keycaps.

Offline lach

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 23:27:54 »
Thanks for the response. Will look into those switches for a future version of the pcb.

I would really like to focus on sourcing the keycaps I need for the switches I have chosen for my build at the moment, any actionable ideas appreciated!

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 05:14:02 »
Note that the G84 series has smaller key spacing than the standard 3/4".

I think it was Soka that when he built ergo keyboard prototypes, he 3D-printed both the keyboard keywells for Cherry ML switches and the keycaps. Maybe he'll share his files if you ask nicely.

BTW, Cherry ML keycaps don't fit on the Kailh switches. Do read more in Matt3o's thread about the Kailh.

Offline lach

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 00:09:14 »
Great, will see if Soka can help out with the models of the keycaps, checked out the details on the Kailh's they look good but would require a number of changes to my design. I am pretty happy with the Cherry ML's at the moment, pcb's arrived yesterday and there aren't any major problems, typing happily on it at the moment, with a frankenstein thumb cluster :)