Author Topic: BlackBerry Passport: a poor design  (Read 2044 times)

Offline dusan

BlackBerry Passport: a poor design
« on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 11:46:40 »
BlackBerry Passport, the only model of the smartphone market that is supposed to be work-productive, seems poor to me. Aesthetically and ergonomically.

True, it poses a 80 mm wide display and a physical keyboard. That's about everything that can speak for productivity.

-- The square display is too short. The system and applications take some areas for the status bar, the menu and various tool bars, so there remain very little height for the actually active display. Why square display? Why not a more productive aspect ratio (width to height) like 4:5, 5:6, or at least 8:9?

-- The keyboard is too simple. Numbers and punctuations are critical for productivity in many use cases. [Inter-]national languages typically have characters beyond 26 of the English alphabet that are "first-class citizens" in the standard keyboard layout of those languages. Why only 30 keys? Why not 60, 50 or at least 40?

-- The form factor 1.44 is ugly. Why not some of the more aesthetically acceptable values like 13:8, 8:5, 5:3, or at least 3:2?

I do not own/use a Passport, or any other BlackBerry phone. I'm just one of 99% potential buyers that won't buy it.

Is there anybody who agree with me?

P/S. Attached some figures, to make it a bit more illustrative and constructive.
Topre Type Heaven | Filco Majestouch w/MX blue | CM Storm QF w/MX green | Asus Echelon w/MX black | Razer Tournament 2014 w/Razer green, Keychron K1 w/Gateron LP red | TypeMatrix 2030 | custom 6x16 ortho w/Matias clicky | Atreus w/Kailh box white & Gateron Pro yellow.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
Re: BlackBerry Passport: a poor design
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 14:31:49 »
I agree. I much prefer the "new" Classic. Keyboard looks WAY better.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 16:45:34 »
I agree. I much prefer the "new" Classic. Keyboard looks WAY better.

Show Image

Having had two Bolds in the past (v1 with trackball, v2 with trackpad) I really like the Classic. That said, I haven't had a new Blackberry device since they were one of my accounts. Back when they were the fastest growing company in the world. Only took about 18 months to go from that, to one of the fastest shrinking companies in tech.  :eek:

I do miss typing on an actual keyboard, but swype alleviates most of the issues I have with communicating on a touchscreen. I hope they regain some of their former glory, still think the Blackberry is a better corporate device.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 18:03:43 »
There's a newer version of the Passport, the Silver Edition, which looks like it has better ergonomics! Rounded corners and a taller device would make typing easier on this.

I really want this phone...someone hold me back!