Author Topic: AcidFire's modular keyboard system - Axios [In Development]  (Read 657501 times)

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
Re: AcidFire's custom split keyboard - ErgoGP
« Reply #350 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 20:01:46 »
Nothing wrong with putting yourself in the position to cater to everyone without having to compromise :)

You're like bunny in that way.

Except bunny would give away a bunch of units, and require everyone who enters to post a picture of themselves playing piano with a piece of paper stuck to their face that says "bunnylake this is my favorite keyboard"  :D

No kidding I can actually play a piano

Me too...
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #351 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 20:02:22 »
nice
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #352 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 20:03:58 »
nice

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42967.0

It's too bad that everypony just plays guitar and stuff like that...
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Larken

« Reply #353 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 23:11:05 »
Definitely, would like to see what's managable, tho building the PC would either make it bigger to accomodate the ability to pivot the inputs, or a fixed angle to keep it all the same size.

On a different note, will I have complete faith that the boards from Seeed studio will be quality, however, will never pick the EMS option again when I want them at a reasonable time >_< here's hoping they'll atleast hit canada over the weekend. In the meantime I've gotten most of the firmware prepped, very eager to test it.

I've also been looking at LEDs, and was wondering what colors people would be interested in for their proto kits?

At the prices you've been offering your prototype units at, I'd say any color of LEDs you decide/have would be fine. If it came down to preference, I guess UV/aquamarine blue would be sweet (mostly due to the rarity), though I definitely am not expecting you to be providing them for the protos.

For that matter, I wouldn't mind taking it led-less, then source and solder my own later. (In fact, I'll prefer it, as there are some mods to be done to the switches before adding leds, so as to maintain the ez-open switch capability after leds are added in).

edit: p.s. the timber wolf is definitely one of my favorites. However, I didn't get that much into the politics of the game, so no real preference between the two factions.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 July 2013, 23:21:44 by Larken »
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #354 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 12:40:41 »
Definitely, would like to see what's managable, tho building the PC would either make it bigger to accomodate the ability to pivot the inputs, or a fixed angle to keep it all the same size.

On a different note, will I have complete faith that the boards from Seeed studio will be quality, however, will never pick the EMS option again when I want them at a reasonable time >_< here's hoping they'll atleast hit canada over the weekend. In the meantime I've gotten most of the firmware prepped, very eager to test it.

I've also been looking at LEDs, and was wondering what colors people would be interested in for their proto kits?

At the prices you've been offering your prototype units at, I'd say any color of LEDs you decide/have would be fine. If it came down to preference, I guess UV/aquamarine blue would be sweet (mostly due to the rarity), though I definitely am not expecting you to be providing them for the protos.

For that matter, I wouldn't mind taking it led-less, then source and solder my own later. (In fact, I'll prefer it, as there are some mods to be done to the switches before adding leds, so as to maintain the ez-open switch capability after leds are added in).

edit: p.s. the timber wolf is definitely one of my favorites. However, I didn't get that much into the politics of the game, so no real preference between the two factions.

Clan FTW! Though I don't know much about the new Mechwarrior. I've only played MW4.

AcidFire: ETA on the indiegogo prototype campaign? If you already told us, then I probably missed it.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline AcidFire

• Axios - The Open Source Modular Ergonomic Keyboard
« Reply #355 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 13:18:06 »
The plan is to do it about a week or so after I get the first set of boards I'm waiting on. I'm hoping to get up and running as close to the beginning of the month as I can, and I'll be posting my proposed perks later today.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #356 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 13:19:27 »
The plan is to do it about a week or so after I get the first set of boards I'm waiting on. I'm hoping to get up and running as close to the beginning of the month as I can, and I'll be posting my proposed perks later today.

Thanks!

I hope you get your boards soon...
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #357 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 18:17:49 »
Am I the only one here who constantly checks this thread for new developments?
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline linziyi

« Reply #358 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 18:30:42 »
Me as well
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

Offline BlueByLiquid

« Reply #359 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 18:43:55 »
Me three

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #360 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 18:46:36 »
1) Goes to geekhack
2) Clicks on the updated posts
3) Looks to see if this one has anything new
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #361 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 18:47:50 »
1) Goes to geekhack

* CommunistWitchDr Just subscribes to this with tapatalk and never even needs to check

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #362 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 18:49:24 »
1) Goes to geekhack

* CommunistWitchDr Just subscribes to this with tapatalk and never even needs to check

*Doesn't have smartphone.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline linziyi

« Reply #363 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 18:50:19 »
*Doesn't have smartphone
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

Offline linziyi

« Reply #364 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 18:51:36 »
So the keycaps would be blank, so what's the point of back-lighting?  :confused:
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #365 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 18:54:04 »
So the keycaps would be blank, so what's the point of back-lighting?  :confused:

To make it look cool!
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #366 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 18:55:46 »
AcidFire: Will the EgroGP have similar customization for layouts as the OG ErgoDox?
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #367 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 18:57:00 »

To make it look cool!

Which is the only reason for backlighting on a board like this anyway, an ergo board has no purpose if you don't touchtype.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #368 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 19:07:18 »

To make it look cool!

Which is the only reason for backlighting on a board like this anyway, an ergo board has no purpose if you don't touchtype.

Very true.

It is odd though.

I once decided to see if I could REALLY touch type, so I put a brown cloth over my hands and took a WPM test.

I could type just fine, but over the years of not touch typing, I had made a habit of looking at my hands while I type.

So, I was constantly glancing down at and sometimes staring at...

A brown cloth!
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #369 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 19:10:12 »
By the way...

What kind of switches is everypony planning on getting with their unit?

I'd like to get clears.

I've tried blues, and found them MUCH too light.

But...

I loved the tactility.

Sooooo...

I'll try some clears!
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline linziyi

« Reply #370 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 19:12:19 »
Would be amazing if there is an option to have black/white alternative keycaps, would look like a "real" piano!
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

Offline Merloobi

« Reply #371 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 20:10:08 »
Ive been constantly checking rhe progress of this keyboard, but mostly lurking :)

Hope everything goes smoothly!

Offline ShallowMoon

« Reply #372 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 03:11:26 »
I've been checking here a lot too. I have a question though, will the key caps be staggered? Seems it would be a bit more ergonomical that way. Apologies if this question was already asked/answered.

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #373 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 12:24:59 »
I have the thread on my notify list, so I get an email every time someone replies to the thread :D I love talking about this project.

To answer your questions:
1) So the keycaps would be blank, so what's the point of back-lighting?
Communist nailed it partially, but the blanks I'm ordering are clear so that I can potentially vinyl paint them and then laser etch markings into them. While this will be time consuming for me, I think it'll help to determine how well this will hold up over time to see what will wear away.

2) Will the EgroGP have similar customization for layouts as the OG ErgoDox?
What I have in mind will be better I think. Instead of having to reupload a new firmware to the device w/ your new layout, the software will be able to push the layout to your board without affecting the core firmware. The software will also have the ability to both share & download new layouts from a community site with ease. Creating layouts will also be a bit more simple/intuitive.

3) will the key caps be staggered? Seems it would be a bit more ergonomical that way. Apologies if this question was already asked/answered.
If your talking about staggering like a standard Qwerty board, no. If your talking about staggering the columns to better match the difference in fingers, yes. I've also staggered them a bit more than previous solutions, the index finger is a 6mm offset from the middle finger, while the pinkie keys are an 8mm offset from the middle finger.

Offline Sciurid89

« Reply #374 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 15:09:42 »
This think looks absolutely stunning. I am about to return my Kinesis because the thumb pads on it are way up in the sky relative to the fingers (ow.jpg). Recessing the thumb cluster is quite smart.

What is the measurement from the index homerow key to the center of the nearest possible 2x1 thumb key?

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #375 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 15:42:33 »
This think looks absolutely stunning. I am about to return my Kinesis because the thumb pads on it are way up in the sky relative to the fingers (ow.jpg). Recessing the thumb cluster is quite smart.

What is the measurement from the index homerow key to the center of the nearest possible 2x1 thumb key?

Currently It comes in at 80mm, but that doesn't include the drop between the levels. If you take the drop as well, it's 80.5mm.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 July 2013, 18:09:51 by AcidFire »

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #376 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 22:39:52 »
I have the thread on my notify list, so I get an email every time someone replies to the thread :D I love talking about this project.

Communist nailed it partially, but the blanks I'm ordering are clear so that I can potentially vinyl paint them and then laser etch markings into them. While this will be time consuming for me, I think it'll help to determine how well this will hold up over time to see what will wear away.

What I have in mind will be better I think. Instead of having to reupload a new firmware to the device w/ your new layout, the software will be able to push the layout to your board without affecting the core firmware. The software will also have the ability to both share & download new layouts from a community site with ease. Creating layouts will also be a bit more simple/intuitive.

3) will the key caps be staggered? Seems it would be a bit more ergonomical that way. Apologies if this question was already asked/answered.
If your talking about staggering like a standard Qwerty board, no. If your talking about staggering the columns to better match the difference in fingers, yes. I've also staggered them a bit more than previous solutions, the index finger is a 6mm offset from the middle finger, while the pinkie keys are an 8mm offset from the middle finger.

I don't like the idea of the layouts being software based and not pushed to the keyboard's firmware like the ergodox.

I  use multiple computers at the same desk. My work computer i cannot install any not-approved software and drivers due to the nature of my work, basically if it doesn't work plug and play i cant use it and the computer my keyboard gets action with the most is my work computer.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #377 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 23:11:44 »

I don't like the idea of the layouts being software based and not pushed to the keyboard's firmware like the ergodox.

I  use multiple computers at the same desk. My work computer i cannot install any not-approved software and drivers due to the nature of my work, basically if it doesn't work plug and play i cant use it and the computer my keyboard gets action with the most is my work computer.

The software on the computer pushes the layout to a fancy part of the board where the layout is stored without having to flash firmware. The firmware just reads the layout you push. It's still totally portable.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #378 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 23:35:01 »

The software on the computer pushes the layout to a fancy part of the board where the layout is stored without having to flash firmware. The firmware just reads the layout you push. It's still totally portable.

if that is the case then ok

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #379 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 00:57:28 »
My apologies for the confusion (and thanks to Communist for explaining it), allow me to elaborate for those of you who are a bit more technical. The plan is to store the layouts in external EEPROM instead of as part of the firmware, making it simpler and safer (botching an EEPROM write isn't nearly as bad as a firmware issue) for the less technical crowd to update their boards. This will also be expandable as well.

As I was at work today and running something else through the laser, I decided to follow through on the pivoting idea:

20 Degree Z rotation

The current design allows up to a 45 degree rotation

This design has a  support that slides out with the main plate to help support the controllers

I've got a number of notes as to what I'm going to do differently with the next one, but so far I'm happy with how much more flexible this makes the current set up.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #380 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 01:18:35 »
I'm impressed.

The attention to detail is just fascinating.

Don't you sleep?
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #381 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 01:22:27 »
Would it be possible to split the base plate between the two controllers and then couple them in a way that could be adjusted?  I'm thinking of those with broad or narrow shoulders? 
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #382 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 01:24:28 »
Tenting. Check.
Z-Axis rotation. Check
Movement along X-Axis?
Movement along Y-Axis?

:P

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #383 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 01:55:18 »
Would it be possible to split the base plate between the two controllers and then couple them in a way that could be adjusted?  I'm thinking of those with broad or narrow shoulders? 
I hadn't given any thought to it, but after you brought it up an idea is forming for the next revision, so we'll see how this goes in the next round.

I'm impressed.

The attention to detail is just fascinating.

Don't you sleep?
A lot of this stuff comes to me as I work out the basic design, and I get a bit OCD with getting measurements just right.

You know, I get asked the sleep question a lot lol.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #384 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 07:15:28 »
My apologies for the confusion (and thanks to Communist for explaining it), allow me to elaborate for those of you who are a bit more technical. The plan is to store the layouts in external EEPROM instead of as part of the firmware, making it simpler and safer (botching an EEPROM write isn't nearly as bad as a firmware issue) for the less technical crowd to update their boards. This will also be expandable as well.

As I was at work today and running something else through the laser, I decided to follow through on the pivoting idea:
Show Image

Show Image

20 Degree Z rotation
Show Image

Show Image

The current design allows up to a 45 degree rotation
Show Image

This design has a  support that slides out with the main plate to help support the controllers

I've got a number of notes as to what I'm going to do differently with the next one, but so far I'm happy with how much more flexible this makes the current set up.

Wow... that's amazing!

I'm curoius, how much eep are you using?
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline wesleyh

« Reply #385 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 07:49:21 »
This is an amazing keyboard. Would be even greater if you could add a trackball to the equation, somewhere in the middle most likely?

Offline BlueByLiquid

« Reply #386 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 08:21:23 »
Love the new design. Great work! I would second the ability to make the device wider as I have extremely broad solders.

Offline Larken

« Reply #387 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 08:31:58 »
looking more and more badass with each update. Honestly can't wait for beta to start.

are you planning to offer the numpad for sale in the future too? Would be nice to finally have a numpad that matches the acrylic aesthetic of both the ErgoGP and the Ergodox.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #388 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 10:33:46 »
looking more and more badass with each update. Honestly can't wait for beta to start.

are you planning to offer the numpad for sale in the future too? Would be nice to finally have a numpad that matches the acrylic aesthetic of both the ErgoGP and the Ergodox.
That's the plan. I doubt it will be a part of the Kickstarter campaign, however I do plan to make it available after the kickstarter units have been shipped and I open up web sales.

Wow... that's amazing!

Thank you :) Whats eep?

Love the new design. Great work! I would second the ability to make the device wider as I have extremely broad solders.
Will keep that in mind. As I said, I have an idea on how to do it, so it'll come down to how it works out in practice.

This is an amazing keyboard. Would be even greater if you could add a trackball to the equation, somewhere in the middle most likely?
I've been giving this some thought as well, with a trackpad being another option as well. A big part of the question is whether to use something existing and mod it to fit, or to design a completely new add on for it. Time will tell what the best option will be.

Offline linziyi

« Reply #389 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 10:49:01 »
You can add some gears to make the two parts of the keyboard move/rotate symmetrically... Not sure if you understand what I mean
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #390 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 10:51:16 »
That's a possibility, however I've never been a fan of that type of setup as it locks you into a certain position on both sides instead of being more flexible. Also, that type of system would increase the difficulty/cost of being able to allow the user to spread them out to better suit themselves.

Offline ephson

« Reply #391 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 12:37:01 »
I have been a lurker for a couple of days now. I would love to join your beta when you get it up on Indiegogo. I am new to Keyboard modding, However I'm a programmer by day (Android developer) and I am not new to soldering and Arduino hacking. I would love to help out in anyway I can.
If you hear a voice within you say, ‘You cannot paint,’ then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced. – Vincent van Gogh

"If you want to learn something, read about it; if you want to understand something, write about it; if you want to master something, program it."

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #392 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 12:59:27 »
Wow... that's amazing!

Thank you :) Whats eep?

eep[rom]

1024k?
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #393 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 13:10:13 »
Ah gotcha, never heard it referred to as such before. I'm embedding a 1mbit module, so 128kb. The addon module would add another 384k (3x 1mbit), making for a total of 512kb, should be more than ample space to store just about anything the layouts + macros will ever need.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #394 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 13:16:20 »
Ah gotcha, never heard it referred to as such before. I'm embedding a 1mbit module, so 128kb. The addon module would add another 384k (3x 1mbit), making for a total of 512kb, should be more than ample space to store just about anything the layouts + macros will ever need.

Not bad...

It depends on how efficiently you format your resources, but 128k should be plenty.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline ephson

« Reply #395 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 16:50:43 »
FYI: there is an Ergodox set in this groupbuy:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44912.0
If you hear a voice within you say, ‘You cannot paint,’ then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced. – Vincent van Gogh

"If you want to learn something, read about it; if you want to understand something, write about it; if you want to master something, program it."

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #396 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 16:55:04 »
I was originally going to grab a set or two, but with the new sets SP is making available for DSA base & modifier, I'm able to order exactly what I need and cheaper than the Dolch kit.

Offline ephson

« Reply #397 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 17:24:23 »
I was originally going to grab a set or two, but with the new sets SP is making available for DSA base & modifier, I'm able to order exactly what I need and cheaper than the Dolch kit.

Are these sets available to all? If so, anyway I can get a link?

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #398 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 17:32:46 »
It's just the DSA PBT blank kits they're currently offering.

In other news, look what just walked through the front door :D

I will be cutting up the first couple after work today and I'll start populating them later tonight :D

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #399 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 17:34:48 »
In other news, look what just walked through the front door :D
Show Image

I will be cutting up the first couple after work today and I'll start populating them later tonight :D

SCORE!
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013