Author Topic: Metal badge Model M anyone?  (Read 8908 times)

Offline Maledicted

Metal badge Model M anyone?
« on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 12:47:34 »
It can be yours for a cool $100.

Vintage 1986 IBM Model M Mechanical Clicky Keyboard 1390120

I almost thought about it myself since it is in a lot better shape than mine is, presently.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 February 2020, 12:53:21 by Maledicted »

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
Re: Metal badge Model M anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 13:05:03 »
Is it notably better than a Unicomp?
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 13:33:31 »
Is it notably better than a Unicomp?

Yes, it is a very early model with the heavy plate. Note, however, that the 1390120 does not have lock lights.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 13:43:24 »
Nobody needs lock lights (YMMV).
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 15:15:26 »
Nobody needs lock lights (YMMV).

Agreed. I can tell with mine that even superficially, without weighing them, this version immediately felt heavier than even Model Ms from just a few years later.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 February 2020, 15:29:05 by Maledicted »

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 00:08:23 »
I got one with and without lights, and honestly, If i need to know the status of lock lights, I just type something. It's never too much confusion.

My Terminal one without lights, is heavy, and has a very short coiled cord, it's also permanently attached, which is strange for such old Model M's.

My standard M with Lights, the one that came with the old IBM AT as an option, it just top notch. I love it to shreads. My favorite Model M, though My Industrial model is probably my favorite.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow