Author Topic: [IC] GMK ThinkCaps // Starts November 16  (Read 144022 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: [IC] GMK ThinkCaps // Please fill out the new form!
« Reply #300 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 17:04:15 »
The Icon Mods kit is missing the Esc key in its icon version.  :(

Isn't that a Mac thing?

I am a PC user and I have never used a Mac, so I know nothing about Macs. I have this example of a previous Icon Mod kit.

Show Image

that esc icon made it's first mac appearance on the apple adjustable keyboard (icon was not on the keycap, but beside it on the case). it was later part of the "think different" keyset and i'm sure has been used in a couple mac-centric sets since.
- also the modifier key right next to the spacebar is the icon for apple's "option" key (alt on pc)

This ESC key is just the icon equivalent for full icon sets. It is the first time that it was related to macs, and I have been around some time to tell.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #301 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 17:09:04 »
- also the modifier key right next to the spacebar is the icon for apple's "option" key (alt on pc)

Actually, given the orientation, that's the standard Alt symbol (just without an arrow). It would be Apple's Option symbol if it were the opposite orientation.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #302 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 11:08:37 »
Just a reminder,

Last day to join GMK Dolch R5, if you need the Extension kit compatible (in part) with GMK ThinkCaps:

Offline colonelpanic

« Reply #303 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 20:14:44 »
Is there a projected GB date? I’ve been purchasing parts over the past months exclusively for these keycaps.

Offline IBMweMissU

« Reply #304 on: Mon, 07 September 2020, 00:57:41 »
Is there a projected GB date? I’ve been purchasing parts over the past months exclusively for these keycaps.

Haha, me too !

Offline Cloods

« Reply #305 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 03:03:46 »
i was 100% expecting a set made of thinking emojis. Cant tell if i'm disappointed that its not or relieved

« Reply #306 on: Sun, 20 September 2020, 12:04:52 »
i was 100% expecting a set made of thinking emojis. Cant tell if i'm disappointed that its not or relieved

Definitely relieved, this set looks dope.

Offline itbesandrodoe

« Reply #307 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 08:35:34 »
Count me in - I just completely restored and upgraded a T420 to use as a daily laptop and I would love my TexYoda to match!

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
Re: [IC] GMK ThinkCaps // Please fill out the form!
« Reply #309 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 09:38:35 »
Would definitely be down for this set, could be a nice touch for my board at work lol.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline BITespresso

« Reply #310 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 14:03:37 »
Very nice set! I‘m interested. Just filled out the form.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #311 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 14:12:44 »
Very nice set! I‘m interested. Just filled out the form.

Excellent. Thank you

Offline pngu

• send noots
« Reply #312 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 14:17:03 »
Do you have any artisan collabs coming up with regards to nipples? I'd buy a rose gold rama nipple.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #313 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 14:18:50 »
Do you have any artisan collabs coming up with regards to nipples? I'd buy a rose gold rama nipple.

Haven't looked into it, but I'm sure our US vendor will...

Offline Bitmxp

• I’ll take 12
    • Bitmap Studios
« Reply #314 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 15:08:09 »
ININININININ IM IN !!!!

Offline dddeeaatthhh

« Reply #315 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 20:10:02 »
has adding an R4 'page up' key already been talked about?
i thought for sure this was going to be the kit to finally give it to me.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #316 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 20:13:54 »

No, what board's it used on?

Edit: Okay you mean like on the TP... Hmm... let me review the forms first.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 September 2020, 20:17:39 by voodoo6k »

Offline Jo_hannes

• You can never learn less. You can only learn more.
« Reply #317 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 00:19:52 »
I just read the entire thread and I am so impressed with the detailed discussion going on here. Great to see people really weighing in and making the set better. Now, I lack the in-depth knowledge needed to give that kind of feedback, so I can only say that I think this is an excellent set, and I really, really hope NorDe will be available. I really need my äöå’s. :)
Again, congrats on the excellent work (OMG the renders!)!
Best
Johannes

Offline dakatisshort

« Reply #318 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 09:38:06 »
I want this!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #319 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 10:22:28 »

How would this key be put to use on a mechanical keyboard?

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #320 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 10:28:05 »
Thanks for the update & I’ve filled out the formfor a stand-alone 40s kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jooobe

« Reply #321 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 11:08:13 »
Give me

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline dddeeaatthhh

« Reply #322 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 11:25:01 »

pretty much any layout with an arrow cluster and 1u keys on either side of the 'up' arrow

i know this example is probably pretty specific to me,  but i use a macro pad that has an arrow cluster with the two keys on either side of the 'up' arrow as pgUp/pgDn. my specific pad is set up for text/code editing, but it's also useful for browsing the web.

the first thing i missed when switching from using just a thinkpad to a desk with an external keyboard full time was being able to have those keys there.

but setting aside my personal preference, if for no other reason, this is a Thinkpad themed set, pretty much every thinkpad in the past ten years has had that setup

« Last Edit: Tue, 29 September 2020, 11:31:38 by dddeeaatthhh »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #323 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 11:39:01 »

pretty much any layout with an arrow cluster and 1u keys on either side of the 'up' arrow

i know this example is probably pretty specific to me,  but i use a macro pad that has an arrow cluster with the two keys on either side of the 'up' arrow as pgUp/pgDn. my specific pad is set up for text/code editing, but it's also useful for browsing the web.

the first thing i missed when switching from using just a thinkpad to a desk with an external keyboard full time was being able to have those keys there.

but setting aside my personal preference, if for no other reason, this is a Thinkpad themed set, pretty much every thinkpad in the past ten years has had that setup

Show Image

I cannot think on any mechanical keyboard with such layout. I also have my thinkpad in front of me and I may say that I have never used those keys.

Offline dddeeaatthhh

« Reply #324 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 12:55:33 »
I cannot think on any mechanical keyboard with such layout. I also have my thinkpad in front of me and I may say that I have never used those keys.

i had this layout on a dz60 for a while

also any ortho layout

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #325 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 13:14:57 »

i had this layout on a dz60 for a while

Show Image

also any ortho layout

I get where you're coming from, but that's quite a niche thing...

Since the nav keys were omitted from the ortho set, I don't think it would get much usage. I'd add a R3 Home (in TKL or Extension) before the R4 Pg Up.

Offline base

« Reply #326 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 13:15:29 »
I know it's pretty late in the game as far as this IC goes, but has there been any thought/discussion around either a full mod-colored F-row or blue pad-printed front legends for SysRq & Break (or more)? I'm all-in on this set regardless, but would be interested in outfitting a second board with WOB base + full mod colored f-row + accents.  :cool:

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #327 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 13:45:19 »
I know it's pretty late in the game as far as this IC goes, but has there been any thought/discussion around either a full mod-colored F-row or blue pad-printed front legends for SysRq & Break (or more)?
[...]

Yes. At one point, I wanted this set to be more "authentic" (relative to what? all TP's are different) but anticipated the huge headache that that would be. :p

For example, if the 60% mods were black, then people would be asking for the accent keys only... because WoB is a thing... but we're already offering that. ;)

The "authentic 2000's TP" add-on will have to be for another round, I'm afraid.

Offline Fjällräv

« Reply #328 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 13:49:23 »
Now this is something an office worker would love.

Offline base

« Reply #329 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 13:50:44 »
I know it's pretty late in the game as far as this IC goes, but has there been any thought/discussion around either a full mod-colored F-row or blue pad-printed front legends for SysRq & Break (or more)?
[...]

Yes. At one point, I wanted this set to be more "authentic" (relative to what? all TP's are different) but anticipated the huge headache that that would be. :p

For example, if the 60% mods were black, then people would be asking for the accent keys only... because WoB is a thing... but we're already offering that. ;)

The "authentic 2000's TP" add-on will have to be for another round, I'm afraid.

Yeah I figured I was getting greedy, but gave it a shot, lol. Would definitely be in for a future "authentic" kit if it ever comes to pass!  I'm just so psyched that the standalone accent kit is a thing, many thanks for that decision!!

Offline beyonddc

Re: [IC] GMK ThinkCaps
« Reply #330 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 09:39:47 »
This really brings back memories.  When I was in college between 1999 and 2003, I was working as a technical support at a mid-sized company.  The whole company is using IBM thinkpad as laptop.  Yup, it was before Lenovo bought out all of IBM laptop business.   

Offline Oni74

« Reply #331 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 10:55:07 »
First of all, a big thank you for proposing a TKL kit as default. I feel too many set designers opt for full kits even though a large percentage of the community are in the 60%-80% range and do not need to cover numpad. (IMHO, I personally see it as a money-grab despite all the rationale/excuses I've heard)

I personally have accumulated 3 GMK sets' alphas without mods to match them with (Ex: I've unused Oblivion alphas because I also got the hagoromo alphas), and ThinkCaps mods would be a fantastic match for them. Would it even be possible to offer a mods-only kit? (Everything in the TKL sans the alphas). Totally understand if you're not willing.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #332 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 11:41:14 »
First of all, a big thank you for proposing a TKL kit as default. I feel too many set designers opt for full kits even though a large percentage of the community are in the 60%-80% range and do not need to cover numpad. (IMHO, I personally see it as a money-grab despite all the rationale/excuses I've heard)

I personally have accumulated 3 GMK sets' alphas without mods to match them with (Ex: I've unused Oblivion alphas because I also got the hagoromo alphas), and ThinkCaps mods would be a fantastic match for them. Would it even be possible to offer a mods-only kit? (Everything in the TKL sans the alphas). Totally understand if you're not willing.

The stories you hear are true... It's because of GMK pricing that you usually see larger base sets; it's much more expensive per key to split up the set into smaller kits. Not a money grab, imo.

The reason we're attempting it here is because the set is neutral enough (as far as colours go) to expect a number of users getting it for their standalone numpads. Whereas another more colourful set might not be as popular for this application.

So, no, there is no intention of splitting the alphas.

Offline Oni74

« Reply #333 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 12:50:10 »

The stories you hear are true... It's because of GMK pricing that you usually see larger base sets; it's much more expensive per key to split up the set into smaller kits. Not a money grab, imo.

The reason we're attempting it here is because the set is neutral enough (as far as colours go) to expect a number of users getting it for their standalone numpads. Whereas another more colourful set might not be as popular for this application.

Got it. Thanks for the quick response and clarification. Still interested in the set - haven't decided on whether to pick up a TKL kit or Icon Mods + Novelties. Let's see how it goes!

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #334 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 12:54:34 »

Got it. Thanks for the quick response and clarification. Still interested in the set - haven't decided on whether to pick up a TKL kit or Icon Mods + Novelties. Let's see how it goes!

Np.

FYI, it may not be exactly what you're looking for, but Icon + RGB mods make a complete 60% modifier set..

Offline Oni74

« Reply #335 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 13:23:57 »

Np.

FYI, it may not be exactly what you're looking for, but Icon + RGB mods make a complete 60% modifier set..

Yeap - considering that too. All i've got are 65% and 75% boards so I will definitely need the novelties to cover my right-most column.

can't help but think there would be a bunch of community people who'd just want the mods - maybe a Mods-only gb with various colors would be nice. It would certainly make 2020 suck less. *chuckle*

Offline Jo_hannes

« Reply #336 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 04:30:12 »
Sooooo, when’s the GB happening? I really need this classic look on my desk (in like a year or whenever GMK gets around to producing these ;) )

Offline WiseLucas

« Reply #337 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 13:56:37 »
Yeah only question remaining is when! Such a nice set. Are there plans for a CA proxy?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #338 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 08:48:41 »
I wonder the same: When is this happening?

Offline Jo_hannes

« Reply #339 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 14:32:53 »
On his Discord server, the TA said November, so, SOONTM, I guess. :D /Johannes

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #340 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 17:11:22 »

November 16.

Sorry, I'll post the details at a later time.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #341 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 18:09:06 »

November 16.

Sorry, I'll post the details at a later time.

Awesome. Thank you very much for the information.

Offline IBMweMissU

« Reply #342 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 23:17:26 »
Yes ! We got a date. Now all we need is vendors :-)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #343 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 08:28:25 »
Am I missing something, or the pricing has not been announced yet?

Offline smithbob

« Reply #344 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 10:10:49 »
is it going to be on Drop.com?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #345 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 10:16:27 »
is it going to be on Drop.com?

I hope not.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #346 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 10:48:31 »
Am I missing something, or the pricing has not been announced yet?

I'm currently having internet issues at home so I will post vendors and prices once that's resolved.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #347 on: Tue, 03 November 2020, 15:41:56 »
I fear that multiple sets of this will be required.  I have dug out a Cherry G80-3000 and a Cherry 1800 from storage just to put these on them.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #348 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 23:19:13 »
Any news on vendors yet? We're almost a week out.

Offline tech.spaghetti

« Reply #349 on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 08:35:04 »
Please guys add italian support :(