Author Topic: Loving tactiles  (Read 1660 times)

Offline rsrogers4

Loving tactiles
« on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 14:42:16 »
I've been using the keyboard in my signature for about a year, and just recently switched to a Maker Alexa (plateless, gasket mounted) with Gazzew Boba U4 tactiles + DCS 9009 keycaps. I am amazed at what a difference there is between these two keyboards and I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I like the tactiles! It reminds me a little of the early 1980s when I used the original IBM keyboards. There are just so many options and each one feels different... I can see how people fall down the rabbit hole...!
Geonworks Frog TKL w/62g Alpaca v2 (lubed, TX springs), SA-P Industrial PBT caps | Maker Alexa w/boba u4t stock, DCS 9009 caps

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
Re: Loving tactiles
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 18:08:05 »
While I'm more of a linear guy, I do have one batch of high bump tactiles like the boba u4ts that I like typing on from time to time, only issue is that it gets really tiring after a while, especially since they are on an aluminium plate. I was thinking of desoldering one of my other builds which has a pc plate and putting the tactiles in to see how they feel on it.

Also want to try mx browns in a full board as well. Tried an compaq mx 11800 at a meetup and liked how they feel, thinking of using them for one of my next builds just to see if I like them long term.

Also want an Model M, same story as the browns but I liked them more. Would say they are a lot different to my tactiles though.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 November 2023, 06:50:32 »
I've been using the keyboard in my signature for about a year, and just recently switched to a Maker Alexa (plateless, gasket mounted) with Gazzew Boba U4 tactiles + DCS 9009 keycaps. I am amazed at what a difference there is between these two keyboards and I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I like the tactiles! It reminds me a little of the early 1980s when I used the original IBM keyboards. There are just so many options and each one feels different... I can see how people fall down the rabbit hole...!

im surprised you don't just use a Model M lol
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline rsrogers4

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 01 November 2023, 16:46:38 »
I have thought about using a Model M. Now that @Rhienfo mentioned it, I could see how the high bump tactiles might get tiresome.
Geonworks Frog TKL w/62g Alpaca v2 (lubed, TX springs), SA-P Industrial PBT caps | Maker Alexa w/boba u4t stock, DCS 9009 caps

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 November 2023, 14:30:25 »
While I'm more of a linear guy, I do have one batch of high bump tactiles like the boba u4ts that I like typing on from time to time, only issue is that it gets really tiring after a while, especially since they are on an aluminium plate. I was thinking of desoldering one of my other builds which has a pc plate and putting the tactiles in to see how they feel on it.

Also want to try mx browns in a full board as well. Tried an compaq mx 11800 at a meetup and liked how they feel, thinking of using them for one of my next builds just to see if I like them long term.

Also want an Model M, same story as the browns but I liked them more. Would say they are a lot different to my tactiles though.

There's been some people experimenting, and it looks as if you can build U4 stems in Boba linear housings with ~45 G springs. This creates a much lighter U4.