Author Topic: Disassemble Philips SPK8403 ??  (Read 1454 times)

Offline ikome

Disassemble Philips SPK8403 ??
« on: Sun, 12 November 2023, 10:33:12 »
One of these Philips SPK8403 kbs fell into my lap. It's a warranty return with a couple of binding switches, which I'd like to try repairing..

But I can't figure out how it comes apart.. other than the several obvious screw heads on the bottom. Can someone please tip me off on this?

For that matter, how does the wrist rest come off?

Thanks!

Offline wjrii

Re: Disassemble Philips SPK8403 ??
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 November 2023, 09:00:24 »
I don't have this board, but I am no stranger to cheaper gamer boards.  This one looks like a pretty typical Filco knockoff.  A couple of things to try: first, if it seems almost ready to come off, try to GENTLY push to see where there's still something holding it together, and then see if that something might be hiding under a label or rubber foot; second, it does appear that this one has a top case, and most cheap top cases will attach with clips molded into the plastic.  Get a plastic spudger-like tool from an electronics repair kit or similar (some people have luck with used gift cards or sturdy guitar picks) and try to find the seam on the bottom of the keyboard.  If you can get the top case off, you might find more screws to try. Some of the gamer boards are unadvertised 3-pin Outemu style hotswap, but don't count on it.

Offline locatepoplar

Re: Disassemble Philips SPK8403 ??
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 November 2023, 19:49:14 »
Should it come off with ease, attempt lightly pressing the area to determine if anything is left holding it together. If so, determine whether that piece could be concealed by a label or rubber foot. You can try more screws if you can take off the top casing. Not all gamer boards are 3-pin Outemu type hotswaps, though some are; don't rely on them.