Author Topic: Shark's Wiki - Unicomp New Model M  (Read 1076 times)

Offline sharktastica

• CompSci research student, IBMer, r/ModelM mod
    • Admiral Shark's Keyboards
Shark's Wiki - Unicomp New Model M
« on: Tue, 14 November 2023, 14:42:33 »
My new wiki page for Unicomp's flagship full-size keyboard! The New Model M was released in 2020 as a larger counterpart to then-newly announced Unicomp Mini Model M. Whilst it doesn't have the Mini M's updated membrane matrix design or its modular USB cable support, it does make use of new tooling and for the most part replaces Unicomp's older keyboards made with tooling from the '90s.

https://sharktastica.co.uk/wiki?id=unicompnewm

Offline funkmon

Re: Shark's Wiki - Unicomp New Model M
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 November 2023, 19:35:19 »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the New Model M uses the internals from the Ultraclassic entirely, right? Meaning, while not untrue, it should probably be explicitly stated that the normal Models M from Unicomp differ, so the inner assembly is not transferable to a New M, although an Ultraclassic is.

Otherwise good overview, IMO.

Offline clay

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 November 2023, 07:21:20 »
Man I thought the cable in the new Model M has been changed to a detachable one :(

Offline sharktastica

• CompSci research student, IBMer, r/ModelM mod
    • Admiral Shark's Keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 November 2023, 07:49:24 »
Man I thought the cable in the new Model M has been changed to a detachable one :(

Unfortunately not, only for the Mini M. The New M is basically an external refresh and still uses the electronics of their other keyboards.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the New Model M uses the internals from the Ultraclassic entirely, right?

Not quite; the barrel plate and membrane assembly are the same, but the backplate isn't. Like its 5576-C01 predecessor, the Ultra Classic assembly kinda just sits there and typically double-sided taped in.

Ultra Classic left, New Model M right