Author Topic: Why Filco's and DasKeyboard were forgotten?  (Read 2129 times)

Offline zlobin356

• Hi! My name is zlobin, im a big korean keebs fan!
Why Filco's and DasKeyboard were forgotten?
« on: Sat, 23 December 2023, 15:21:46 »
Why everyone forgot about Filco and DasKeyboard? I remember it was very popular in 2008-2014. maybe people need something more? sound, appearance? but have they become worse because of this, maybe they are simply outdated?I still want NIB Filco in camouflage with Cherry MX Brown/DasKeyboard with pom keycaps and Blues.
Akko ACR59/Tecsee Sapphire(L)/Shenpo
Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-2/MX Blue/Cherry POM

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Why Filco's and DasKeyboard were forgotten?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 December 2023, 20:05:09 »
They're still the same quality, which isn't bad, it's just not great these days as the industry has upped their game to match or even exceed them.

Worse still, they still expect premium pricing for dated features and middle of the road performance.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline zlobin356

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 December 2023, 04:05:24 »
Yea. in principle you are right

What would you choose, a modified Filco or some prebuild like Leobog HI75/Iqunix?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 December 2023, 17:20:49 »
A heavily modified FIlco like mine is near impossible to really beat (if you like that mounting and style), it's up there with some really high end exclusive stuff, the problem is the parts you need to do it are no longer sold and trying to find them used would be VERY difficult and i doubt most who have them want to part with them.

As for the Leobog and such (Iqunix is similar just with fancy cps), so long as the pcb works and the case is nice decent you can make an amazing keyboard out of it. Just put some decent stabs, caps and switches, maybe some foam... Should be just about as good as anything on the market. Keyboard PCBs aren't complicated, cases are just milled aluminum or plastic. It's not rocket science so if you like it, go for it. The only downside I can see is that it's not programmable and any software for it is probably generic and possibly infected, so you'll want an a software based method (as opposed to firmware) if you want to remap anything. I don't trust any company that links files to a Google drive.

If it was me, I'd probably spend a bit more and get the GMMK Pro.
Still made in China, but it's an American brand with a reputation you can call and get help if you have a problem and not likely to disappear at the first sign of trouble.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline garynguyen

• Tap hoa Phim
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 24 December 2023, 22:49:41 »
I think brands like Filco & Leopold still exist, but their technology is not something incredible to mention these days - especially when we compare them to uprising Chinese custom keyboard brands.

Of course, if you want to find a good prebuilt keyboard and use it intermediately without any mod for a long-time usage (>3 years), I highly recommend these brands to you. They are also good choice for newcomers.

However, the keyboard technology moves very fast (even Razer launches their first custom gaming keyboard - Blackwidow v4 75%, or Corsair with their K70 & K65 line up), Filco needs to adapt in order not to be forgotten.
AMD 5600X - RX 6600XT

Ducky One 2, Leopold 900RBT
Keychron Q2, Enter67, Tofu65, Sunset80, Wind Z75

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 December 2023, 02:09:40 »
BTW, Filco has a split 60% keyboard now, with macro keys on additional inner columns, which is a bit weird ... although perhaps useful for someone who is used to using the "wrong" hand for the keys in the middle.

I'm still using my ten-year old Phantom as my daily driver. It had been designed as replacement for Filco guts, but I use my loud home-made case.

Offline zlobin356

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 December 2023, 05:25:43 »
I think brands like Filco & Leopold still exist, but their technology is not something incredible to mention these days - especially when we compare them to uprising Chinese custom keyboard brands.

Of course, if you want to find a good prebuilt keyboard and use it intermediately without any mod for a long-time usage (>3 years), I highly recommend these brands to you. They are also good choice for newcomers.

However, the keyboard technology moves very fast (even Razer launches their first custom gaming keyboard - Blackwidow v4 75%, or Corsair with their K70 & K65 line up), Filco needs to adapt in order not to be forgotten.

Exactly.

Offline transeurasian

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 December 2023, 12:10:34 »
of course new things are popular :))

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 December 2023, 05:18:31 »
However, the keyboard technology moves very fast

No it doesn't.
It's the slowest changing computer component in your entire computer system.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 30 December 2023, 17:14:33 »
Filco lost because of costar stabs. Change my mind ^-^
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 30 December 2023, 18:39:52 »

To be frank, I'd take costar stabs over any plate mount cherry style stabs.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 31 December 2023, 00:02:50 »
Filco didn't fade away all at-once.

First, Leopold reduced it. Back in 2016-2018 or so, enthusiasts were commenting that Leopold offered more for about the same price. [The "more" being PBT double-shots and a detacheable cable, mainly.] Costar vs. Cherry stabilizers was still a sort of legitimate debate, back then.

Then, all the pre-builts receded post-2019, as more and more people wanted and expected custom features in their board.

Anyone genuinely looking at where things were headed in 2018 could have seen to skip the pre-builts entirely, but most people were eager to get a keyboard of some kind. Leopold had become the prime recommendation at that point.

The Filco's selling points are mostly as strong as they were back then, though. It's an MX keyboard in a normal layout that has exceptional durability. If you wanted to give someone a Cherry MX keyboard that they could use every day for a decade as a court reporter or something, this would work.

When I asked for advice here about modding my Filco some years back, someone said "all you need to do is lube the stabilizers." They were right. The worked-in MX Browns are pretty good now. It's just the stabilizers that have been knocked around a bit and need some help.

[Filcos suffered from their stupid pad-printed keycaps that wear out soon. Mine is wearing DCS, which is what it should have shipped with.]

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 31 December 2023, 11:31:42 »

To be frank, I'd take costar stabs over any plate mount cherry style stabs.

If you hate cherry profile spacebars and modifiers then costar can be a option. Otherwise Cherry stabs -> Costar
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Belfong

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 01 January 2024, 08:01:00 »
Don't forget Matias. I had a hard time trying to get one and their local reseller does not have stock and Matias does not sell direct if it is outside CONUS. So, I had to ask the local reseller to order for me which takes time and cost.