Author Topic: which is shorter, realforce R2 or realforce 87u?  (Read 2062 times)

Offline rf86u

which is shorter, realforce R2 or realforce 87u?
« on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 05:38:46 »
I've read that R2 is taller than 87u, so I'd assume it is less comfortable to use without a palm rest?

Offline rxc92

Re: which is shorter, realforce R2 or realforce 87u?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 12:53:48 »
You shouldn’t ever use a palm or wrist rest, it’s worse for ergonomics than typing properly with your hands above the keyboard. Resting the weight of your arms on your wrists is a quick way to wrist pain and health issues over a long period of time. 
I tested with my R2 and old RF and the R2 was noticeably lower as well.

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 13:05:22 »
imo 87u is the best out of the box keyboard out there.  I just wish they made keysets available

Offline Polymer

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 13:11:49 »
My R2 and 87u are practically identical height wise..

The R2 case is slightly higher but the keys themselves are basically the same....If there is any difference it is 1mm...This stays basically the same even with the feet up. 

So using them, you shouldn't see a difference..the biggest difference, if anything that you may notice is that the 87U has a bigger lower lip..so from the start of the case to the first row of keys is a bit thicker than the R2 but I don't know if you'd really notice that.

I can't be bothered using a camera and posting the picture...but I have them side by side right now..

Offline rxc92

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 02:10:53 »
That could be the case that they’re the same height, I only bothered measuring from the lowest point.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 17:50:43 »
Well the 87U is lower at its lowest point..but it also sticks out more from the keys to the bottom lip so you can't really compare the start of the case on the bottom of the two.  Where the keys actually start, they're basically the exact same height...

To me that all makes perfect sense given the design of the 87U wasn't just pulled out of nowhere and the R2 basically kept all of the ergonomic elements the same so you can easily go between the two without noticing any difference..

I haven't gone back to my variable 87U for a bit so this was a good reminder in how much smoother it is than a stock silenced Topre...that and the softer pinkie keys make it so easy to type on...

Offline rf86u

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 04:14:07 »
I haven't gone back to my variable 87U for a bit so this was a good reminder in how much smoother it is than a stock silenced Topre...that and the softer pinkie keys make it so easy to type on...

are you comparing 87U with R2 PFU version?

Offline Polymer

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 15:55:16 »

are you comparing 87U with R2 PFU version?

Yes...It isn't that the R2 is scratchy...but my 87U just feels smoother..part of that is the variable..part of that is the sound (it doesn't have the silenced whiffy sound)..part of it might how worn in it is...

Offline stimuz

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 03:46:49 »
imo 87u is the best out of the box keyboard out there.  I just wish they made keysets available

YMMV on that one I suppose. I'm in much better shape using the glorious TKL pad, but I could see the fancy wood/resin pads hurting more than it helps.

Offline stimuz

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 03:48:31 »

Yeah, build quality on my 87u is much better than my R2. Shame about that windows key size, though. R2 for sure has much nicer caps. R2 didn't really warrant a release imo, they should have worked on things like removable cable, programmable etc. before pushing it to market.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 12:46:33 »

Yeah, build quality on my 87u is much better than my R2. Shame about that windows key size, though. R2 for sure has much nicer caps. R2 didn't really warrant a release imo, they should have worked on things like removable cable, programmable etc. before pushing it to market.

I don't think they wanted they wanted a cable that could be removed or programmable..all of that would've been easy enough to do.  The R2 is already sort of programmable as it is so it wouldn't have been much of a stretch to do more than that. 

They were also due for a bit of a change....and I'm of the opinion that the newer case is actually cheaper for them to produce...

They could've just kept the case and changed the keycap configuration to be more standard...but for whatever reason they didn't want to.

There are a fair number of people that dislike the 87U case...and to be honest, the first time I saw it, I hated the extra bit on top..but you get used to it and I actually really like it (and prefer it)...but the new case is definitely universally less disliked as it is more generic...