Author Topic: ROY MOORE vs DOUG JONES  (Read 15008 times)

Offline Acerk

• I pay attention to details!
Re: ROY MOORE vs DOUG JONES
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 15:52:58 »
That's fair! I have no problem with that. Growing up with any kind of rigid fundamentalism can be pretty damaging. I'm sorry you went through that.

I mistook your post as you being reluctant to mention Islam, which is something I see a lot. Sorry about that!

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 20:14:06 »
I was referring to any and all intolerant fundamentalist orthodoxies.
but you specifically pointed trump as a propagator of said orthodoxy. as far as i'm aware trump is not responsible for the ravaging of europe by extremist muslims, which started long before he ever came to power.

if you were talking about how trump is the driving force behind the rise of fundamentalist religious ideologies in the USA (in which case i must presume you mean Christianity), as an outside observer i also haven't seen any proof that supports your claim.

since you have made your feeling on this particular matter clear, i wish to ask if you have an opinion on the anti-trump factions propping up Islam values and beliefs, since Islam is even more intolerant than Christianity in many aspects.

I have spent a lot of time in the past addressing my issues with Christianity, but now usually avoid it.  The reason I have talked about my issues with Christianity in the past is because I grew up in an evangelical Christian household and personally saw and felt the damage it caused not only to me, but also to others who didn't conform to the evangelical life as they described it, while these same groups protect their own who are guilty of things far worse than the small issues they drove others away for. 
if it's not too personal, this would make an excellent separate thread

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 21:18:05 »

but you specifically pointed trump as a propagator of said orthodoxy.

if you were talking about how trump is the driving force behind the rise of fundamentalist religious ideologies in the USA

I don't know how you could possibly have come to such a twisted reading. My guess is that you are quite young.

The current rise of fundamentalist religion began in earnest in the 1970s, in my opinion in reaction to the "new enlightenment" that was happening as the "atomic age" was blossoming and science was maturing, challenging the existence of God in a significant way. That backwards shift was a major component of the wave that put Reagan in office, in my opinion.

Trump is a monumentally amoral, dishonest, and hateful person who should, by all rights, be condemned and scorned by all righteous people of all religions (along with all righteous persons who are not believers). Yet, somehow, and this, to me, is the single most baffling aspect of his rise to power, the "evangelical" wing of American "Christians" (and I feel compelled to put that word in quotes) supported, and continues to support him.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline Acerk

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 05:28:14 »
Trump is a monumentally amoral, dishonest, and hateful person who should, by all rights, be condemned and scorned by all righteous people of all religions (along with all righteous persons who are not believers). Yet, somehow, and this, to me, is the single most baffling aspect of his rise to power, the "evangelical" wing of American "Christians" (and I feel compelled to put that word in quotes) supported, and continues to support him.
All emotion and opinion.

Not gonna get convinced by adjectives when you clearly, still, don't know why people support Trump. You're in an echo chamber.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 07:47:48 »
All emotion and opinion.

Not gonna get convinced by adjectives when you clearly, still, don't know why people support Trump. You're in an echo chamber.

trololololo

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 10:33:35 »

but you specifically pointed trump as a propagator of said orthodoxy.

if you were talking about how trump is the driving force behind the rise of fundamentalist religious ideologies in the USA

I don't know how you could possibly have come to such a twisted reading. My guess is that you are quite young.

The current rise of fundamentalist religion began in earnest in the 1970s, in my opinion in reaction to the "new enlightenment" that was happening as the "atomic age" was blossoming and science was maturing, challenging the existence of God in a significant way. That backwards shift was a major component of the wave that put Reagan in office, in my opinion.

TRUMP IS A BIG BAD RACIST SEXIST HOMOPHOBIC ROSIE O'DONNEL-HATING ORANGE-SKINNED DEVIL WORSHIPPING HITLER-WANNABE WHO IS GOING TO DESTROY THE EARTH WITH GLOBAL WARMING! THE TIME TO PROTEST AND "RESIST" IS NOW! I AM LIKE LITERALLY SO TRIGGERED BY DONALD TRUMP THAT I LITERALLY BROKE DOWN IN TEARS WHEN HE CALLED FOR LOWERING THE CORPORATE TAX RATE TO 21%. BECAUSE THAT IS LIKE LIKE LITERALLY SO RACIST! I AM VOTING FOR HILLARY AND OBAMA IN 2018. IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH ALL MY TALKING POINTS, THEN THERE IS NO WAY IN THE WORLD YOU COULD HAVE EVEN A SMIDGE OF INTELLIGENCE BECAUSE YOU ARE LITERALLY NOTHING BUT AN EVIL NAZI RACIST FASCIST ISLAMOPHOBE. BY THE WAY, I JUST SAW ON CNN THAT TRUMP DRINKS TOO MUCH DIET COKE. IMPEACH HIM NOW!
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 December 2017, 10:35:44 by microsoft windows »
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 11:34:55 »
That's fair! I have no problem with that. Growing up with any kind of rigid fundamentalism can be pretty damaging. I'm sorry you went through that.

I mistook your post as you being reluctant to mention Islam, which is something I see a lot. Sorry about that!

Ah no need to be sorry, all kinds of people grow up with **** in their lives and what I dealt with was manageable, but also left a strong distaste of Christianity in my mouth.

I have spent a lot of time in the past addressing my issues with Christianity, but now usually avoid it.  The reason I have talked about my issues with Christianity in the past is because I grew up in an evangelical Christian household and personally saw and felt the damage it caused not only to me, but also to others who didn't conform to the evangelical life as they described it, while these same groups protect their own who are guilty of things far worse than the small issues they drove others away for. 

if it's not too personal, this would make an excellent separate thread

Haha, I doubt it's honestly exciting enough to be worth another thread.  My parents are fine people and I ended up okay, but I am very glad I had them as opposed to a lot of the other parents in that church.  My best friend growing up came out to me as gay when we were in high school and when his parents found out a few years later, they told him to stay at college because he wasn't welcome at home anymore, then they tossed his stuff out and had a pastor come into his old room to "pray the gay away" for lack of a better term. 
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 18:02:17 »

As a sincere though imperfect Christian, I will try to answer your question. The 2016 election left many people with poor alternatives. For years I would categorize myself as a conservative; partly because of many of the issues conservatives have traditionally stood for but also because of a reservation to radically change policies and institutions that may only require minor corrections. While I haven’t always voted for the Republican candidate, unless I have a compelling reason not to, I will, and while I had compelling reasons not to vote for Trump, I did. It may have been a poor choice but I’m still not convinced that it was the was not the lesser of two evils.

Candidate Trump did not appeal to me for several reasons. I felt that his inexperience in the government workings and his incomplete knowledge of issues made him unprepared to be our chief executive. More than that , I didn’t like his style. His childish bullying and name-calling, his simplistic answers to complex questions, and his questionable history all provide a ready answer to why he was my last choice among the long list of candidates in the primary.

So why do I continue to support him? The reason is the same one I gave when asked why I supported former President Obama when he was in office: he is the President of the United States. I would have given the same courtesy to Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders if they were elected. I would have mourned and fought against some of their actions but I would not have protested their presidency. Would I have supported a Hitler? No, but  I think it’s a stretch  to compare Trump with Hitler (yes, I’ve read several comparisons). An unbiased observer could only characterize some of the Left’s actions after the election as, at best, poor sportsmanship and at worst, anarchy.

Those who are baffled by the evangelical right’s support for Trump need only look to themselves: It is human nature to be defensive when others mock and attack your most treasured beliefs. Christians have been labeled with all of the ists, isms, and phobic suffixes for decades and now the destruction of the planet has been added to the list. Accusations which may be true in some cases but they do not represent most believers. These ubiquitous insults and presuppositions have created a new scapegoat in popular culture, particularly from the Left.  For this, the Christian Right has responded by siding with the candidate who has not attacked them or their values. I don’t see why that is so hard to understand.

What baffles me is how the enlightened left, with their professed goodness and superior reasoning, fail to see the contradictions within their ranks. While professing inclusiveness they condemn and vilify people of faith. Today, minority leaders in congress are condemning a major tax reform for being partisan and rushed,  while ignoring that their tactics were equally offensive a few years ago while passing the ACA. It suggests there is plenty of hypocrisy and self interest on both sides of the aisle. At the same time I believe there is also good and that we should try to work within those constraints. 

I think we would all benefit, certainly our country would, if we would try to find common ground rather than take the lazy route by only emphasizing the differences. With the world changing so rapidly, we’re faced with questions that didn’t exist in the recent past. It takes time for people to come around. This is true for both the conservatives who are slow to change and progressives who may not see the hazards of rapid policy change. Most US citizens want fairness, opportunities, reasonable freedom, and security. We rarely agree on how to get there but when we realize that we share more than we differ, we can find common ground to move forward.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 21:31:50 »

It is human nature to be defensive when others mock and attack your most treasured beliefs.

the enlightened left .... fail to see the contradictions within their ranks.

While professing inclusiveness they condemn and vilify people of faith.

Today, minority leaders in congress are condemning a major tax reform for being partisan and rushed, while ignoring that their tactics were equally offensive a few years ago while passing the ACA.

It suggests there is plenty of hypocrisy and self interest on both sides of the aisle.

The "devil in the details" resides in a small handful of your sentences.

The easier part of the response is to say that your last 2 sentences are absolutely false on every level.

The ACA was discussed, debated, amended, reconfigured, and evaluated in detail by multiple organizations, then finally passed after over a year of full and open *repeat - open* view and in broad daylight and in full detail by all parties involved including *the public* !

Revisionist history works itself in overdrive to deny this all-important fact. The passage of the ACA was a boon to tens of millions of Americans and the people who voted it into law saw little monetary gain for themselves.

As far as religion goes, I do not believe that anybody has a problem with people practicing the faith of their choice. The reason that people like myself (born and raised as a devout Presbyterian I might add) get so angry at the "Religious Right" is that they expend so much energy attempting to control other people's lives against their will.

For example, to press 2 of the big hot buttons, I am a straight man with children whom I love dearly, but I believe that gay rights and abortion rights are fundamental and inalienable human rights that the State has no business interfering with. If you think that abortion is bad, then don't have one. If you think that homosexuality is wrong, then marry a woman. But you can't demand that someone else live their lives based on your opinions.

But as long as so-called "religious" people attempt to impose their opinions on others while hiding under the apron of "God's Word" then they should expect push-back on a monumental level. That is precisely why the Founding Fathers, in their wisdom, endeavored to build a "wall of separation" between Church and State, and I believe that to be one of the cornerstones of our society. An attack on the separation of Church and State, in my opinion, is an attack on America itself.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 22:00:27 »

As a sincere though imperfect Christian, I will try to answer your question. The 2016 election left many people with poor alternatives. For years I would categorize myself as a conservative; partly because of many of the issues conservatives have traditionally stood for but also because of a reservation to radically change policies and institutions that may only require minor corrections. While I haven’t always voted for the Republican candidate, unless I have a compelling reason not to, I will, and while I had compelling reasons not to vote for Trump, I did. It may have been a poor choice but I’m still not convinced that it was the was not the lesser of two evils.

Candidate Trump did not appeal to me for several reasons. I felt that his inexperience in the government workings and his incomplete knowledge of issues made him unprepared to be our chief executive. More than that , I didn’t like his style. His childish bullying and name-calling, his simplistic answers to complex questions, and his questionable history all provide a ready answer to why he was my last choice among the long list of candidates in the primary.

So why do I continue to support him? The reason is the same one I gave when asked why I supported former President Obama when he was in office: he is the President of the United States. I would have given the same courtesy to Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders if they were elected. I would have mourned and fought against some of their actions but I would not have protested their presidency. Would I have supported a Hitler? No, but  I think it’s a stretch  to compare Trump with Hitler (yes, I’ve read several comparisons). An unbiased observer could only characterize some of the Left’s actions after the election as, at best, poor sportsmanship and at worst, anarchy.

Those who are baffled by the evangelical right’s support for Trump need only look to themselves: It is human nature to be defensive when others mock and attack your most treasured beliefs. Christians have been labeled with all of the ists, isms, and phobic suffixes for decades and now the destruction of the planet has been added to the list. Accusations which may be true in some cases but they do not represent most believers. These ubiquitous insults and presuppositions have created a new scapegoat in popular culture, particularly from the Left.  For this, the Christian Right has responded by siding with the candidate who has not attacked them or their values. I don’t see why that is so hard to understand.

What baffles me is how the enlightened left, with their professed goodness and superior reasoning, fail to see the contradictions within their ranks. While professing inclusiveness they condemn and vilify people of faith. Today, minority leaders in congress are condemning a major tax reform for being partisan and rushed,  while ignoring that their tactics were equally offensive a few years ago while passing the ACA. It suggests there is plenty of hypocrisy and self interest on both sides of the aisle. At the same time I believe there is also good and that we should try to work within those constraints. 

I think we would all benefit, certainly our country would, if we would try to find common ground rather than take the lazy route by only emphasizing the differences. With the world changing so rapidly, we’re faced with questions that didn’t exist in the recent past. It takes time for people to come around. This is true for both the conservatives who are slow to change and progressives who may not see the hazards of rapid policy change. Most US citizens want fairness, opportunities, reasonable freedom, and security. We rarely agree on how to get there but when we realize that we share more than we differ, we can find common ground to move forward.

Christian?

Well kurplop, I've already outed myself as an elitist librul globalist cuck, so I may as well just let 'er rip, right?  I'd better put on some gloves for this one...

Trump is the modern incarnation of a worshiper of the golden calf.  Of all people, the ones that Jesus condemned weren't the gays or the foreigners or whatever makes today's conservative rage.  No, he condemned the rich and those who flaunted piety for their own benefit.  Trump is a walking, talking affront to the principles of Christianity.

I suppose Christians have always had a persecution complex.  Even, apparently, when they make up the vast majority (~75%) of the population and control all three branches of government in DC as well as in all 50 states. :rolleyes:  I don't think that's a good enough reason to throw their every principle out the window.  Christ was humble, charitable, and forgiving, and he had no time for rich, pompous, bullies.

I grew up going to church school every frickin week and I earned the God and Country badge in Boy Scouts, I should know.  I also know that if the church feels prosecuted, it isn't because "the left" just hates them.  It's because for the last thousand years, the church has had to have been dragged forward kicking and screaming on every single social issue.  Allowing commoners to read the scripture for themselves, antisemitism, recognizing women as equals, slavery, interracial marriage, not murdering homosexuals, and so on.  That's the real reason.

And by the way, if a good Christian is looking for the lesser of two evils, the Clintons went to church more during Bill's term than any modern president except for Carter (also a D).  Probably more than Trump has in his entire life.  If that isn't a "Christian barometer", I don't know what is.

I'm supposed to excuse Evangelical Trump support because he didn't hurt their fefes?  That kind of just assumes they're all basically unthinking children, doesn't it?

If you think this abomination of a process resembles the ACA in any way whatsoever, you have been watching the Fox propaganda network too much.  The ACA took years, and is chock full of Republican amendments.  Efforts to reach out were constant and repeatedly rejected.  There's a lot of hypocrisy to go around in Washington, but it is so vastly slanted towards the Republicans it's not even a contest.  As an example, when Ted Kenedy's seat was won by Scott Brown, Democrats ensured he was seated before the ACA vote.  Did good old Mitch wait for Doug Jones to be able to vote this week?  Of course not.  Oh and remember when Republicans were so worried about the deficit?  Haha, that was only when working to improve health care!  Cut taxes for the wealthy?  Pile it on, baby!  Sex scandals?  Democrats are ejected by their own party, Republicans circle the wagons.  Who attacks the very idea of science?  Who makes every effort to PREVENT people from voting?  Who has stripped every consumer protection they could since taking office?  On every front, the right is proving that they govern in bad faith.

With troubles like these, common ground would be great.  As far as I'm concerned, it can't be had with one side sticking their fingers in their ears and insisting this obvious imbecile who can barely string a few words into a sentence is doing right by us.  No.  He's a wannabe dictator and I will fight against him with my last breath if I have to.

This is my last post in here.  This whole thing is ****ing cancer.  Acerk and every other troll account can get ****ed with a pipe wrench.

Offline Acerk

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 09:49:14 »
Trump is the modern incarnation of a worshiper of the golden calf.  Of all people, the ones that Jesus condemned weren't the gays or the foreigners or whatever makes today's conservative rage.  No, he condemned the rich and those who flaunted piety for their own benefit.  Trump is a walking, talking affront to the principles of Christianity.
Ehh, that's pretty selective. It doesn't seem like you know much about Jesus Christ. Did you learn all this from your local Antifa group?

This is my last post in here.  This whole thing is ****ing cancer.  Acerk and every other troll account can get ****ed with a pipe wrench.
I thought I was the one who was upset!? LOOOOOOOOL  :))

You have a lot of cognitive dissonance, and you'll be left behind as the Western world slowly transitions back into a nationalist spirit. MAGA

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 16:22:04 »

Christian?

Well kurplop, I've already outed myself as an elitist librul globalist cuck, so I may as well just let 'er rip, right?  I'd better put on some gloves for this one...

I suppose Christians have always had a persecution complex.  Even, apparently, when they make up the vast majority (~75%) of the population and control all three branches of government in DC as well as in all 50 states. :rolleyes:  I don't think that's a good enough reason to throw their every principle out the window.  Christ was humble, charitable, and forgiving, and he had no time for rich, pompous, bullies.

I grew up going to church school every frickin week and I earned the God and Country badge in Boy Scouts, I should know.  I also know that if the church feels prosecuted, it isn't because "the left" just hates them.  It's because for the last thousand years, the church has had to have been dragged forward kicking and screaming on every single social issue.  Allowing commoners to read the scripture for themselves, antisemitism, recognizing women as equals, slavery, interracial marriage, not murdering homosexuals, and so on.  That's the real reason.

And by the way, if a good Christian is looking for the lesser of two evils, the Clintons went to church more during Bill's term than any modern president except for Carter (also a D).  Probably more than Trump has in his entire life.  If that isn't a "Christian barometer", I don't know what is.

I'm supposed to excuse Evangelical Trump support because he didn't hurt their fefes?  That kind of just assumes they're all basically unthinking children, doesn't it?

If you think this abomination of a process resembles the ACA in any way whatsoever, you have been watching the Fox propaganda network too much.  The ACA took years, and is chock full of Republican amendments.  Efforts to reach out were constant and repeatedly rejected.  There's a lot of hypocrisy to go around in Washington, but it is so vastly slanted towards the Republicans it's not even a contest.  As an example, when Ted Kenedy's seat was won by Scott Brown, Democrats ensured he was seated before the ACA vote.  Did good old Mitch wait for Doug Jones to be able to vote this week?  Of course not.  Oh and remember when Republicans were so worried about the deficit?  Haha, that was only when working to improve health care!  Cut taxes for the wealthy?  Pile it on, baby!  Sex scandals?  Democrats are ejected by their own party, Republicans circle the wagons.  Who attacks the very idea of science?  Who makes every effort to PREVENT people from voting?  Who has stripped every consumer protection they could since taking office?  On every front, the right is proving that they govern in bad faith.

With troubles like these, common ground would be great.  As far as I'm concerned, it can't be had with one side sticking their fingers in their ears and insisting this obvious imbecile who can barely string a few words into a sentence is doing right by us.  No.  He's a wannabe dictator and I will fight against him with my last breath if I have to.

THIS ISN'T CANCER. I USE WINDOWS 98 SO I CAN'T GET CANCER. IF YOU'RE WORRIED ABOUT GETTING CANCER, THEN YOU SHOULD CONSIDER ADJUSTMENTS TO YOUR COMPUTING HABITS.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #112 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 05:14:44 »
Did you learn all this from your local Antifa group?
haha