Author Topic: Really Coolermaster?  (Read 2141 times)

Offline rich1051414

Really Coolermaster?
« on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 01:55:20 »
If you haven't heard, cooler master one upped their own rapid fire keyboard with their CM MasterKeys, which now has THICC PBT keycaps and what looks like foam laser printing. The font is actually normal now, the board is totally unbranded other than the windows keys, uses authentic switches, and it is rock solid, oh and only $79.

The keyboard seems to do so much right at a low price that I kind of feel bad for the little guy.

This isn't an ad for the keyboard, it just struck me as almost market disruptive.

I don't know if they still use costar or not for board manufacturing, but even back when the rapid fire came out, I felt bad for filco, but the quick fire had sacrifices for the low price. I fail to find any sacrifices with the new updated version, and I looked hard...
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: Really Coolermaster?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 02:55:23 »
It's an inevitable consequence of supply and demand. With Chinese companies spitting out RGB mechanical keyboards with PBT doubleshot keycaps at a quarter of the price of A-brand products without any particularly glaring shortcomings, A-brand prices HAVE to drop and quality HAS to rise for them to be market-effective. 
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline saxophone

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 03:02:15 »
It's not market disturbing as much as the other brands simply never updating their already super greedy pricing.

Especially Filco, lmao. What do they even have to offer compared to their boards from like 5-6 years ago when mech keyboard started to grow more mainstream? Back then their boards were considered "solid". Now there's plenty of "solid" chinese boards that offer just as much as them but at $30-50 cost instead.

As far as I'm concerned the only part that was jacking up the prices were the cherry switches, which cherry has lost monopoly of since LONG ago.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 03:43:10 »
It's not market disturbing as much as the other brands simply never updating their already super greedy pricing.

Especially Filco, lmao. What do they even have to offer compared to their boards from like 5-6 years ago when mech keyboard started to grow more mainstream? Back then their boards were considered "solid". Now there's plenty of "solid" chinese boards that offer just as much as them but at $30-50 cost instead.

As far as I'm concerned the only part that was jacking up the prices were the cherry switches, which cherry has lost monopoly of since LONG ago.
I don't see any direction for these premium keyboard companies to go in other that utterly overkilling the build quality or actually innovating. It may indeed be a good thing, where these companies will actually need to think and innovate if they want to continue asking for a premium.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline nickaster1

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 10:03:03 »

To really say, it’s Filco. They are well-established and furthermore a “Japanese” company. Things don’t work the same for CM since they have always an underdog in the industries and while their products are good, they can never get the “hype” like Filco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 11:02:39 »
Remind me, when the cheap stuff has a PCB even remotely similar to Filco MJ2.

I would agree that they've lost the edge compared to Leopold, though.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 21:31:06 »
Remind me, when the cheap stuff has a PCB even remotely similar to Filco MJ2.

I would agree that they've lost the edge compared to Leopold, though.
Um, what? You realize that the quick fire rapid used costar just like the filco mj2, and the boards are so similar parts are interchangeable? That definitely qualifies as 'remotely similar'. The primary difference was mostly in the quality of keycaps, and cooler master had some extra features like media keys and windows lock.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 December 2017, 21:33:10 by rich1051414 »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 12:32:39 »
Quote from: DIATEC
[PC board got all renewed! It delivers you a better duration, quality and typing feel!]

Double layers is adopted for a new board. Through a hole of each switch has been firmly soldered.
With this, it can release any excess load or vibration that you make when you type in to a board not only to a metal plate inside. It enables you to enjoy a better typing feel!

MJ2 and QFR are based on the same prototype, but there's a number of differences: cable/connector, finish, the PCB, LEDs etc.