Author Topic: Cant put the spacebar on Steelseries G6v2 back together (picture)  (Read 3155 times)

Offline 7uckingkeyboard

Cant put the spacebar on Steelseries G6v2 back together (picture)
« on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 13:18:52 »
Hey.

I made the big misstake of removing my spacebar and the little "+" thing came off. I realize you have to slide the little metalthingy in the hole in the "+" piece but it's ****ing impossible... Any tips?

I'm boiling with frustration here... :( :(

Offline Neal

Re: Cant put the spacebar on Steelseries G6v2 back together (picture)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 13:28:41 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41718.0
This discussion should provide you with enough information, you will need to take the case off.

Offline 7uckingkeyboard

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 13:48:41 »
I did take the case of. But it didnt help. in that case i need to remove the whole circuit board?

Offline Neal

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 13:54:18 »
I did take the case of. But it didnt help. in that case i need to remove the whole circuit board?
Well yes, you need to be able to get to the wire. No need to solder however. It's hard to do, but possible. I even managed it on pcb mount with a plate in between, even harder.

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 14:39:05 »
The stabiliser from the 6v2 I have, the + piece won't actually come out the top normally, so perhaps yours was bent or damaged coming out? Mine will only feed in from underneath, and there is only one way round it will go. the + piece has to be installed first without the bar anywhere near, then the bar can be fed in and clipped into place.

Its probably just that its a fiddly swine job, but perhaps something broke off your + piece that allowed it to go in rotated 180 degrees, and the wire isn't in line with the right hole any more. The wire side has a high hole and a lower half hole, the side away from the wire has a blank face near the top and then a hole at the bottom.(I can photo this if you think it is any use)
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline 7uckingkeyboard

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 14:42:15 »
The stabiliser from the 6v2 I have, the + piece won't actually come out the top normally, so perhaps yours was bent or damaged coming out? Mine will only feed in from underneath, and there is only one way round it will go. the + piece has to be installed first without the bar anywhere near, then the bar can be fed in and clipped into place.

Its probably just that its a fiddly swine job, but perhaps something broke off your + piece that allowed it to go in rotated 180 degrees, and the wire isn't in line with the right hole any more. The wire side has a high hole and a lower half hole, the side away from the wire has a blank face near the top and then a hole at the bottom.(I can photo this if you think it is any use)

Hey, thanks. Yeah, i've been trying to mount the +piece w/o the bar. But it wont go in the metalstring (that corresponds with the +piece to the right). I'd love a photo.

Offline RabRhee

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 15:17:24 »

Hey, thanks. Yeah, i've been trying to mount the +piece w/o the bar. But it wont go in the metalstring (that corresponds with the +piece to the right). I'd love a photo.

Ok, the light is pretty low here, but hopefully these may help some (click on them to enlarge):

36346-0
36348-1
Ok, these 2 pics should be the same orientation as your picture. The wire should eventually go into the lower of the 2 gaps, the one that  isn't a full square hole.

36350-2
This is from the back, this is the side you shouldn't be trying to feed the wire into.

36352-3
Underneath, you should be able to see a little square inset, which ties into the thinner leg on the + piece. Thats why it will only go in one way.

36354-4
This is with the + piece inside the main piece. You can see the wire could in theory go into both holes but really it should only go into the lower one.

36356-5
This is with the wire inserted. The wire should clip into the bottom, but not until it is pushed into the hole.

36358-6
And this is with the wire clipped back into place. Finished.

Hope its some help, and not simply made it more confusing :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 September 2013, 15:19:02 by RabRhee »
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

Offline RabRhee

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 16:13:07 »
If it is still too much of a swine to sort out, you should be able to do it more easily if you are able to desolder and remove the switch for just the spacebar. The stabiliser can be rebuilt into one fairly solid piece and then fitted in as that complete piece. But the space switch gets in the way. That should be removable from the top as well. (assuming my 6Gv2 is the same as yours)

It does also occur to me that as your wire isn't in the + piece, you could pop out the + piece holder without desoldering, fit the + into it, and then try to clip it back in place and push the wire into the hole as you go. Still fiddly.

36362-0
Stab all together, on my (admittedly empty) plate and PCB

36364-1
sloted the bar in and under, and clipped in the front of the stabiliser

36366-2
Side view of front clipped in. To unclip you unclick the back first, i.e. the reverse of this

36368-3
Then stick the switch back in place.

(yeah, it sucks if you can't remove that switch)
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 September 2013, 16:19:33 by RabRhee »