Author Topic: [Survey] Your GMK Layout Requirements  (Read 4657 times)

Offline effectiveduck

[Survey] Your GMK Layout Requirements
« on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 01:51:36 »
Take survey here: http://goo.gl/forms/562cj5sVhe

Hey everyone!

Lately I've been really interested in what layouts/special keys people want included in GMK sets. So I put together a quick survey to get a general consensus as to what the most popular layout requirements are. I was having trouble with how to frame the question because ideally we would want to accommodate as many layouts as possible, but the reality of that is very expensive sets. So if you decide to take this survey, could you please answer with what you need/will use, that would help give better results.

Thanks to everyone who decides to take the survey, any feedback or comments are more than welcomed.

Final results:
More
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 March 2016, 20:16:57 by effectiveduck »

Offline effectiveduck

Re: [Survey] Your GMK Layout Requirements
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 05:22:43 »
So far ISO, winkeyless and surprisingly 65%/75% are leading the votes, all with more than twice as many votes as everything else.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 05:27:54 »
ISO!

Offline effectiveduck

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 05:41:17 »
ISO!

Seems to be the vocal point, kind of unsurprising considering how hard it would be to accommodate all ISO variations.

Also added a comments section.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 06:10:14 »
Taken the survey and also voted for ISO, among few other things, but I primarily need the Left Shift ISO for I prefer ANSI Enter over ISO.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 06:31:11 »
Please share the results!

Offline effectiveduck

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 06:35:31 »
Results so far:

65%/75% dropped off a bit but still going strong.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 07:00:21 »
Too bad there's so little interest in R5 keys.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 09:12:43 »
Results so far:

Show Image

65%/75% dropped off a bit but still going strong.

"Nordic kit"- Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 09:28:00 »
Filled
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 09:33:54 »
Don't listen to the redditors. They make a lot of noise and then don't end up buying anything.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 09:43:59 »
Add some estimated pricing for the different options and you may get more accurate data, if you only ask for preferences you may end with the wrong data on people that may not buy GMK key caps at all, but that expressed their feelings and biased the results of the survey. Most r/MK people prefer cheaper options made of PBT over GMK ABS doubleshots, I know that there are people cross-registered at r/MK, DT and GH that prefer GMK, but most of the people there have a different profile than DT and GH.

Offline Malenky

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 10:21:51 »
ISO (specifically UK) mainly for me, but also HHKB, since I have an Infinity on order at Massdrop.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 10:22:25 »
Ergodox is not on there :(

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 10:24:26 »
ISO isn't hard to offer support for. Just offer UK ISO and you're good to go.
I will be astonished of there ever is a successful gmk buy with any other ISO kit.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline effectiveduck

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 14:36:15 »
'Final' results:

More

Add some estimated pricing for the different options and you may get more accurate data, if you only ask for preferences you may end with the wrong data on people that may not buy GMK key caps at all, but that expressed their feelings and biased the results of the survey. Most r/MK people prefer cheaper options made of PBT over GMK ABS doubleshots, I know that there are people cross-registered at r/MK, DT and GH that prefer GMK, but most of the people there have a different profile than DT and GH.

This is a solid idea with some logistical problems though, since these kits will ever be sold separately the price will change depending on how much/how many layouts are included in any give set, so giving a concrete value is nearly impossible.

Over all I'm fairly happy with the results, the main surprises for me are the 65%/75% and 1u ctrl and alt keys being more popular than hhkb but the latter could be skewed because of plank users, difficult to tell.

Thanks everyone for participating!

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 15:25:51 »

Ergodox is enough specialized keys that it's not very feasible with GMK MOQ. A one-handed ergodox kit is 19 keys, which means it would probably be around $40 to outfit both halves of an ergodox (assuming $1/cap). If ergodox users are content to use already-included keys for some of the locations on their board, that price could maybe be dropped to $30 for a board.

As a GB runner, you then need to decide if you are going to include an extra $30-$40 worth of keys in your base kit, or provide them as an add-on. If the former, that probably represents at least a 20-25% increase in the cost of the base kit, which I would expect to significantly hurt efforts to make MOQ. Smaller compatibility kits such as ISO (4-6 keys), 65%/75% (3 keys), or 1800 (5 keys) are easier for buyers to stomach, because they increase appeal by at least as much as adding an ergodox kit, but do so for a much lower added cost.

Alternatively, if ergodox is run as an add-on pack, you need to make MOQ of 150 for ergodox kits. If you offer a half-ergodox kit, you may be able to get by with 75 ergodox users, each buying a pair of ergodox kits. I don't have a good feel for how many people use an ergodox, but it seems to me that would be a bit of a tall order for any given set. Perhaps it would be possible with a really popular colourway -- an ergodox addon for Dolch or Hyperfuse might be successful, even if run as a standalone buy.

That said, it would be great to see GMK sets for ergodox become successful. I'd love to be proven wrong!
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 15:31:31 »
My GMK Layout requirements are for GMK to make buckling spring caps, thank you for your time. :D

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 15:46:31 »
Win keyless
Ban ISO

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 16:34:17 »
ISO!

Seems to be the vocal point, kind of unsurprising considering how hard it would be to accommodate all ISO variations.

Also added a comments section.

Iso uk should be enough for everyone

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 16:36:20 »
I'm ANSI 60% with a couple of 1.25u blanks for OS keys.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 16:51:38 »
Redditors didn't bring many votes to the homing bars because it's taken for granted. There's a vast majority of non-gmk keycaps, so they don't vote for something they already have.

Gmk world problems.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 09:52:24 »

Ergodox is enough specialized keys that it's not very feasible with GMK MOQ. A one-handed ergodox kit is 19 keys, which means it would probably be around $40 to outfit both halves of an ergodox (assuming $1/cap). If ergodox users are content to use already-included keys for some of the locations on their board, that price could maybe be dropped to $30 for a board.

As a GB runner, you then need to decide if you are going to include an extra $30-$40 worth of keys in your base kit, or provide them as an add-on. If the former, that probably represents at least a 20-25% increase in the cost of the base kit, which I would expect to significantly hurt efforts to make MOQ. Smaller compatibility kits such as ISO (4-6 keys), 65%/75% (3 keys), or 1800 (5 keys) are easier for buyers to stomach, because they increase appeal by at least as much as adding an ergodox kit, but do so for a much lower added cost.

Alternatively, if ergodox is run as an add-on pack, you need to make MOQ of 150 for ergodox kits. If you offer a half-ergodox kit, you may be able to get by with 75 ergodox users, each buying a pair of ergodox kits. I don't have a good feel for how many people use an ergodox, but it seems to me that would be a bit of a tall order for any given set. Perhaps it would be possible with a really popular colourway -- an ergodox addon for Dolch or Hyperfuse might be successful, even if run as a standalone buy.

That said, it would be great to see GMK sets for ergodox become successful. I'd love to be proven wrong!

Makes sense. I do think there's a market for a very plain set of Ergodox mods as a standalone set?
-1.5u and 2u,
-blanks,
-neutral color like black or nearly-black grey.

They could all be the same profile. This would be a massive improvement over what Ergodox users typically use (DSA).

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 10:00:45 »
The surge for 65% would be due to the recent Fox drop.

Offline effectiveduck

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 17:08:40 »

Maybe but it uses all standard key sizes, so no extra kits are needed for it.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 17:17:05 »

65% adaptor typically includes caps with more appropriate legends for the rightmost column. While these spaces can be filled in by numpad caps, some users appreciate having proper legends and profiles for these caps.

Offline effectiveduck

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 17:24:00 »

65% adaptor typically includes caps with more appropriate legends for the rightmost column. While these spaces can be filled in by numpad caps, some users appreciate having proper legends and profiles for these caps.

Yea it's typically R2 Pg Up R3 Pg Dw R4 End, but the whitefox doesn't need any of these keys, it's kind of like an extended f660.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 17:32:57 »

Yea it's typically R2 Pg Up R3 Pg Dw R4 End, but the whitefox doesn't need any of these keys, it's kind of like an extended f660.

Whitefox is fully programmable -- people who are used to traditional 65% or 75% boards may choose to set their layouts appropriately. Users may even choose to set their layouts as such for the sake of having appropriate caps.

Personally, I prefer the labels in the typical 65% adaptor to the 'official' labels of the whitefox.

Offline effectiveduck

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 17:37:29 »

Whitefox is fully programmable -- people who are used to traditional 65% or 75% boards may choose to set their layouts appropriately. Users may even choose to set their layouts as such for the sake of having appropriate caps.

Personally, I prefer the labels in the typical 65% adaptor to the 'official' labels of the whitefox.

Oh my bad, i was getting the whitefox confused with the magicforce :/

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 17:46:02 »

Oh my bad, i was getting the whitefox confused with the magicforce :/

No worries, it's all good :thumb:

Offline effectiveduck

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 20:18:26 »
Forgot to update this with the final results, though not much has changed.

More

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 20:58:35 »
The interest for ISO comes as a surprise, because independent kits for ISO does not reach MoQ usually, when they are offered independently of the main set.

Offline effectiveduck

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 21:06:35 »
The interest for ISO comes as a surprise, because independent kits for ISO does not reach MoQ usually, when they are offered independently of the main set.

Yea when it comes to comments from other forums ISO was the biggest topic, though it was usually people asking for their specific kits, nordic, etc.

Offline yinzer

• I'm new around here ... please don't notice.
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 21:52:49 »

Makes sense. I do think there's a market for a very plain set of Ergodox mods as a standalone set?
-1.5u and 2u,
-blanks,
-neutral color like black or nearly-black grey.

They could all be the same profile. This would be a massive improvement over what Ergodox users typically use (DSA).

I feel as if going for the same profile keys would be a missed opportunity. While better than DSA, it still falls short of fully sculpted.

I think the half-dox method is a really clever way to hit MOQ. Finding 150 ergodox users to buy in on a more expensive set just isn't going to happen. 452 people bought the Ergodoxian set in Granite R4 .. and then 128 bought into PuLSE R2.

You might hit it... But 75 is much more realistic number. I'm not saying it's a sure thing though. Nantucket Selectric didn't hit that mark and it was an all-in-one Ergodox set, which was the most buyer friendly way to arrange the kit.

I think the key would be trying it out on a set that people know.. Hyperfuse seems like the perfect set to try this on. It's well known and dank as hell. Also, and I don't think this has been done with a GMK GB that I have seen, but a stand alone alphanumeric kit would go a long way to making to making buys buyer friendly for those with non-standard layouts. A trend I have seen (and liked) recently is offering inverted colorway alphanumerics as a child set.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 March 2016, 22:08:33 by yinzer »

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 22:01:31 »
Gimme 2 left shifts for my 660c and I'm a happy camper
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 22:09:15 »

ISO or bust.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin