Author Topic: [Suggestions] Black PBT Backlit Keycap sets?  (Read 4205 times)

Offline leiigghhh

[Suggestions] Black PBT Backlit Keycap sets?
« on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 08:33:31 »
Hello

I live in Australia and I was wondering if anyone could suggest some black PBT backlit compatible keycaps! I own a Varmilo VA87MN with standard Cherry MX brown switches and would love to have some suggestions on the best places to purchase. Especially since i live in Australia :)

Thanks, Leigh

Offline Zar7

Re: [Suggestions] Black PBT Backlit Keycap sets?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 11:23:45 »
Greetings!

The best PBT backlit compatible keycaps I have ever used is the Vortex PBT+POM Doubleshot Keycaps. I used to get it from Amazon, but it is not available there anymore.
Checked mechanicalkeyboards.com as well, and they ran out of stock as well (although they have a vast selection of keycaps, among other stuff). Referring to your location in
Australia, I gave MechKB Australia a look, and it seems that they do not have that as well. Keep looking around for them. They are available in black or white, and both are in
OEM profile, which should be great for your Varmilo.

Cheers! Sorry I could not help much but at least I can give you a recommendation. :D

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 13:43:41 »
You lucky Aussies have the black doubleshot PBT keycaps from Deck in a normal looking font. Maybe they'll sell you a set of keycaps? hmm.. wait a sec, I guess the normal legend caps are all ABS shine through. Sorry, I have no idea where to look; mechkb.com has PBT keycaps but as you probably know they're not designed for backlighting.

Offline seville57

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 14:52:48 »
Hello

I live in Australia and I was wondering if anyone could suggest some black PBT backlit compatible keycaps! I own a Varmilo VA87MN with standard Cherry MX brown switches and would love to have some suggestions on the best places to purchase. Especially since i live in Australia :)

Thanks, Leigh

You can always take a look here: http://www.google.se/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=23&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjTtZvynJ7NAhWMC5oKHZRBAfU4FBAWCCowAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ultimate.zone%2Fproducts%2Fvortex-pbt-pom-double-shot-backlit&usg=AFQjCNFtsqR386U_IyO8iJpJmKVJtjKR1w

I don't know if they ship to Australia.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 June 2016, 14:59:09 by seville57 »

Offline Lepidus

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 14:58:30 »
Varmilos have inverted led positions, so pretty much every backlit set wont work very well on them.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 15:07:21 »
Varmilos have inverted led positions, so pretty much every backlit set wont work very well on them.

True, they're made to make the side face legends visible on their stealthy PBT keycaps afaik.

If you don't mind soldering you could swap your switch tops for clear switch tops (or swap for clear Gaterons) so that the light emitted from the LEDs is brighter. From what I've seen the LED underglow is really effective on Varmilo keyboards if you have the side facing legend keycaps.