Author Topic: [IC] Han60 - Budget-oriented 60% keyboard | 12/22 Major Update  (Read 11288 times)

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards
[IC] Han60 - Budget-oriented 60% keyboard | 12/22 Major Update
« on: Tue, 12 October 2021, 02:25:36 »
Introducing the Han60
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join the Discord for the most up to date information: https://discord.gg/aJXxfFwFWB

Update Summary (12/22/2021)
Hey all! It's been about 2.5 months since my initial IC and I just wanted to thank everyone for the open, honest feedback. I've spent the last 10 weeks combing over all the improvement opportunities and implementing the best ones. The design process of this has been challenging, but also quite fun. Please see the details below on a summary of changes (I've also updated the entire post with all the up to date details):

Case
  • Logo is now engraved and scaled down - placed in the bottom center of the board
  • Added some additional chamfers/fillets for QC improvements
  • Finalized color selection: Black, Gray, Blue, Rose Gold
  • Finalized case foam, hardware/accessories, and case feet

Plate
  • Finalized material selection: Polycarbonate, FR4, Aluminum
  • Added flex cuts to FR4 / Aluminum plates
  • Tsangan layout w/ option for arrow keys

PCB
  • Layout is now Tsangan w/ option for arrow keys
  • Added support for both AU/MU-type MCU's
  • Added on-board ESD protection
  • Han60 is now in the QMK Configurator
  • Waiting to be merged into VIA
  • Will be added into VIAL

Miscellaneous
  • Added sound test
  • Almost finished with website
  • Added Discord link

Logistics
  • Price is still tentatively set in the $160 - $180 range (most likely $170 for PC/FR4 and $180 for Alu)
  • Initial sale will b0 50 in-stock units - hopefully with more rounds after!
  • Planning a tentative sale date of late Q1 / early Q2 2022

There is still some work left to be done prior to sale so I'll be sure to keep updating this post as soon as I have new info. Please also join the discord for the most up-to-date information and to ask any questions (or just hang out and chat!)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Background
Hi all! Farhandsome (han) here. Just wanted to give a little background on myself before talking about the board. I'm an engineer by trade and work in medical device fabrication so I have access to a lot of different manufacturing tools and what not. Combining that with a love of mechanical keyboards that started a little over a year ago, I decided to try my hand at designing a keyboard of my own. The process was pretty difficult as I didn't have too much knowledge of PCB design but it was a welcome challenge and I ended up really enjoying the process. My favorite part has to be interacting with the keyboard community on both consumer and designer levels. I find the process really fascinating and I hope it's something I can continue to expand my knowledge upon and work on more and more unique designs.

I decided to start with something relatively simple - a simple 60% keyboard with a minimalist form factor. This is far from the most unique or the most intricate design I had in mind for a keyboard, but I wanted to learn the process from start to finish with a board that is not endgame for anyone by any means, but something that is affordable and can be viewed as an option for an entry-level board into an enthusiast's hobby. I hope this project leads to a relative success so I can follow up with more daring design choices while having a better knowledge of the market and community as a whole.

Design

Case
  • Size: 60% Keyboard
  • Material: Aluminum
  • Mounting Style: Gasket Strip Isolation Mount
  • Typing Angle: 7°
  • Frame: WK
  • Color: Black, Gray, Blue, Rose Gold
  • Accessories: Case foam and silicone feet

Plate
  • Material: Polycarbonate, FR4 (Flex cuts), Aluminum (Flex cuts)
  • Support: ANSI / ISO; Split Backspace & Split Left Shift; Stepped Caps Lock; Arrow Keys Option

PCB
  • Type: Solderable only (for R1)
  • Support: ANSI or ISO; Split Backspace; Stepped Caps Lock; Arrow Keys
  • Power: Simplified USB-C Daughterboard (ai03) w/ onboard ESD protection (Bottom mounted JST connector)
  • Software: QMK/VIA/VIAL Support

Sound Test

Logistics

Pricing & Quantity
  • Price: $170 (PC or FR4) / $180 (Aluminum)
  • Quantity: MOQ of 50
Contents
  • Top Case
  • Bottom Case
  • Plate
  • PCB
  • Case Foam
  • Gasket Strips
  • USB-C Daughterboard & JST Cable
  • Silicone Feet
Timeline
  • Interest Check: Complete
  • In-Stock: Planning for an in-stock run of 50 units in March/April 2022.
Branding

Engraved logo on back of the bottom center side of the board. After lots of feedback, kept this one to a minimum for aesthetic purposes while still retaining some level of uniqueness for the board itself.

Renders

Thank you to SpikedSynapse for the renders!

Click here for older renders:
More

Prototype

Click to see older prototypes:
More
**Note: Has some visible scratch marks; this is a result of my own tampering. The final units will all be thoroughly inspected for quality.

Final Thoughts
This is also my first IC so I hope I've put everything needed for a successful interest check. Please give me your open and honest feedback about both the board as well as the interest check itself! I'll be considering this a living document so I'll update with more pictures, renders, typing tests, etc. as time goes on and I get more feedback. Thanks so much for letting me a part of this community and I hope you enjoy the Han60!

Change Log
  • Initial Interest Check - 10/12/2021
  • Major Update / Revisions - 12/22/2021
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 December 2021, 15:22:55 by Farhandsome »

Offline keybo_hobo

60% with arrows, gasket mount and data board for this price. Looks very nice=) Mb soundetst of your proto?

Offline honoka

Hmm, you say iso but there is no split left shift support

In that case, there is no use for the iso enter

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards
Hey there! Thanks so much for the reply - you're totally right. Oversight on my part - I'll add in support for a left-shift split!

Hmm, you say iso but there is no split left shift support

In that case, there is no use for the iso enter

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards
Thank you! Will do - I'll add in a sound test for my next update.

60% with arrows, gasket mount and data board for this price. Looks very nice=) Mb soundetst of your proto?

Offline ahash

Love the minimal design and non-aggressive logo. Imagine good depth on the acoustics with the polycarb, great choice! Can't wait for this one, feels like it's been forever since a unique 60% has dropped.

Offline Ustinj

looks nice :thumb:

Offline haesbaert

I like it but please consider supporting Tsangan, lots of people in the community prefer it over ANSI layout.

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards
Thanks so much for the feedback! Yes, it seems like Tsangan is the popular opinion in the IC form and Reddit threads. I will switch the default layout to Tsangan w/ an option for arrow keys. More to come - thanks!

I like it but please consider supporting Tsangan, lots of people in the community prefer it over ANSI layout.

Offline mikestah

All the blemishes on the prototype are disconcerting even with your disclaimer. I really like what you appear to be offering but I'm worried that you won't be able to keep that price, a good quality, and that set of features at such a low moq, but I'm sure you'll figure it out. GLWIC

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards
Hey there! I recognize the concerns and I understand. Seriously though, this prototype had been through a lot prior to this picture just from changing of plates, different gasket trials, etc. Once I get in my next sample, I plan to take a photo prior to any testing.

I'll be totally transparent throughout the process - it's my first GB so I definitely don't want to set things off on a bad precedent!

All the blemishes on the prototype are disconcerting even with your disclaimer. I really like what you appear to be offering but I'm worried that you won't be able to keep that price, a good quality, and that set of features at such a low moq, but I'm sure you'll figure it out. GLWIC

Offline nick779

Thanks so much for the feedback! Yes, it seems like Tsangan is the popular opinion in the IC form and Reddit threads. I will switch the default layout to Tsangan w/ an option for arrow keys. More to come - thanks!

Yeah dropping ANSI is a deal breaker for me. I would maybe TRY Tsangan, but not a big fan of losing ANSI. Also if you do this, please offer multiple plates even if it costs more. All of the cut outs for arrow key layouts remove so much material from the plate.

Offline PracticalJoke

This looks extremely nice. Quick question, you mentioned that there will be a tsangan layout option, will there still be an option for the ANSI layout?

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards

Yeah dropping ANSI is a deal breaker for me. I would maybe TRY Tsangan, but not a big fan of losing ANSI. Also if you do this, please offer multiple plates even if it costs more. All of the cut outs for arrow key layouts remove so much material from the plate.

Gotcha. I think what I will do before making any hard decisions is include this in the second IC. It looks like there's a few options in terms of PCB layout as well as logistics that I'd like to get a community answer before moving to GB. Thanks so much for the feedback.

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards
This looks extremely nice. Quick question, you mentioned that there will be a tsangan layout option, will there still be an option for the ANSI layout?

Thanks for the feedback! I'll be including this topic in the second IC! I haven't made a hard decision on ANSI vs. Tsangan yet.

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards
Re: [IC] Han60 - Budget-oriented 60% keyboard | 12/22 Major Update
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 15:25:29 »
Added in major update on 12/22!