Author Topic: Signature Plastics DSA Keycap Review  (Read 60254 times)

Offline mr. rampage

Signature Plastics DSA Keycap Review
« on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 19:56:00 »

Signature Plastics DSA Keycaps
This is a review on the Signature Plastics DSA Keycaps available from their website. These are PBT keys with a lower profile. The total cost of this investment for me was $18 for the standard keys, $19 for the modifiers, $9 for shipping. It took 9 days for it to arrive using economy shipping and I didn't have to pay anything extra for customs or duty.

Shipping
The packaging these keycaps came in was sufficient and the keys came in without any damage. You can see that even the spacebar is packaged on its own. Much like pencils in Asia.

Installation
Installation was fairly straight forward. There were a few issues.
  • The stabilizers kept falling out. However, using the saran wrap trick made them stay in better. So not really much of a problem.
  • The fit for the keycaps was a bit off for some keys. I had much success with keys that were marked DSA 32. There are markings on the underside of each key and they ranged from DSA 31 - DSA 36. I'm assuming that these markings indicate the production run. As well, I found that the keys would fit best with the keycap break points pointing up for the standard keys and pointing to the left for the modifiers. Keys marked with DSA 33 sat higher up compared to the others.
  • There appears to be some warping on some keys as most of the keycaps were not actually square in shape. See below for images. This isn't a problem for me, but for some it may distract from the overall look.

Removal of the keys are no problem, but you must be careful as the keys have a tight fit. I used a wired keycap remover and just jiggled it gently to remove the keys.

Typing
Typing with DSA caps feels very weird. On my Filco, it is almost impossible to bottom out with them. This makes for a much quieter and dampened experience. My Filco is my main driver for gaming, so I will have to spend more time testing the DSA profile for gaming. The texture on the keys are amazing. In terms of texture, these are probably the best keycaps I have owned, but I will have to see how long that lasts. As well, that's not saying much as all I've owned are ABS OEM keycaps from Filco, DAS, Vortex PBT, and KBC PBT's. I generally prefer a more textured key as my fingers lack any sensitivity due to worn down finger tips from rock climbing. These are the first set of keys that I can actually sense.

Build
The general build quality is good. It is not as thick as the stock Poker 2 keys which are also my favourite build of key so far. It is much thicker than the replacement Poker 2 keycaps that I purchased from Qtan. I'm satisfied with the build quality and there is very little flex in the keys if I try to squish them. They also appear to be re-enforced. This may be standard with SP keys as this is my first set from them.

Overall
These are worth a try if you want to checkout how DSA keycaps feel. For the price, they're worth it.
  • Price: 5/5 - for $18 it's worth it
  • Service: 4/5 - no problems it's all good. Registered mail would be nice to prevent theft, but not a problem
  • Build Quality: 4/5 - inconsistent stems vary depending on the marking on the back.

Packaging

DSA Height Comparison with OEM Filco Key

Texture

Thickness
vs. OEM Filco

vs. Stock Poker 2

vs. KBC? Poker 2 replacements & stock Poker 2

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Signature Plastics DSA Keycap Review
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 20:26:53 »
Fantastic review - thanks!

I have been considering a DSA set.  I have a few random ones in my Crap Bag, but no modifiers.

This review has only made me more curious.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mr. rampage

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 21:07:31 »
Unfortunately, they don't have any yellow in stock. Hopefully, they'll have some in the future.  :D

Offline Reomero

• Manual breather
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 22:55:17 »
Great review, and nice photos :D Thanks!

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 23:33:09 »
Nice review !!!  Mine's on the way hopefully it will arrive soon.  :)

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline tbc

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 02:16:43 »
wow, very good review.

i have a ducky pbt set and i was wondering how the texture on these caps would compare.  I would describe the ducky's as 'sandy' and 'moisture-absorbing' (this is a GOOD thing - i hate the feeling of greasy abs).  is this more sandy? 
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline mr. rampage

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 14:17:14 »
i have a ducky pbt set and i was wondering how the texture on these caps would compare.  I would describe the ducky's as 'sandy' and 'moisture-absorbing' (this is a GOOD thing - i hate the feeling of greasy abs).  is this more sandy?

I would say it is more grainy. The stippling is larger than what comes with the stock Poker 2 keys and stock OEM keys from Filco and Das. I'll have to try out the ducky pbt's to compare. I do worry that with the larger grain it'll make it easier to trap dirt and/or skin. Removing the keycaps was pretty nasty since I haven't cleaned that board in a year and half.

Offline redskull

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 22:50:20 »
thanks OP for the review, especially those nice zoom pictures.  ;D

Offline hydrospell

• * Destiny Supporter
  • some keyboard thing
    • octobrain
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 10:48:58 »
My review of your review: 4/5 - totally blows mine out of the water.  :cool: Very nicely taken photographs too.

Agree on your description of the texture - it's grainy and yes I do feel it soaks up moisture and oils, just not sure for how long more. That's something I failed to mention in my post.
⌨ Filco MJ2 MX Blues / M0116 Orange Alps / Homemade 60% MX Reds / M0110

Cherry MX art prints 20/50 still available!

Offline Martyr

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 21:52:29 »
Thanks for the review, was tempted to buy a set as the price is so low.

Still not sure how I would like a lower profile. Guess I'll just have to try it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 23:04:39 »
Thanks for the review, was tempted to buy a set as the price is so low.

Still not sure how I would like a lower profile. Guess I'll just have to try it.

It's really one of those things you have to try.

I'm thinking it would feel more like using a scissor switch keyboard - those tend to be flat, albeit with more key travel.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Martyn.T.Howells

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 14:12:58 »
Really interesting Review. was thinking of get a set :thumb:
Steelseries 6gv2 MX Black   Filco Majestouch2 TKL MX Blue   Poker II MX Red   HHKB PRO 2

Offline Aliwia

• WTB Cuprubber
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 16:41:03 »
Are they as tough to pull as they claim?

Offline mr. rampage

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 21:14:10 »
Are they as tough to pull as they claim?

You have to be gentle, but they definitely stay on much more than the standard OEM keys.

Offline Aliwia

• WTB Cuprubber
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 19:49:23 »
Is the difference between the F And J buttons big, or do you not notice the difference? Do they have natural little bumps on the keys or is the only difference the changed size?

Offline Hyde

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 23:36:52 »
Mine finally arrived few days ago.  Hmmmmmm I have to say first impression wise, I'm not sold yet since I think my imsto set isstill better.  But I might give it a few more days to decide.

Like everyone else said, the texture is one of the better ones I've felt ever.  Though the stems are very inconsistent, some are looser and some are really tight.  And there are edge warping like people pointed out too.

Typing feel wise it's really weird now.  Not only since it's flat profile so it feels like the 1, 2, 3, 4 and F1, F2, F3, F4 are are really far away now.  I find I also keep striking the edge of the key since it feels like it might have a smaller top surface area.

However in terms of profile height, I think it's a good balance between Cherry height and OEM height.  Since Cherry tend to feel really short in terms of bottom out distance, and OEM being really high.  This set feels like it sits in the middle.

I guess I'll give a bit more time and update you guys on it later.  :P

Is the difference between the F And J buttons big, or do you not notice the difference? Do they have natural little bumps on the keys or is the only difference the changed size?

There are no dots or dash on the keys.  It just have slightly different curvature.  I think it's more "domed" compare to the rest of the keys, but it's definitely enough for you to notice the difference.  However I still prefer the dash better.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Aliwia

• WTB Cuprubber
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 15:53:11 »
Mine finally arrived few days ago.  Hmmmmmm I have to say first impression wise, I'm not sold yet since I think my imsto set isstill better.  But I might give it a few more days to decide.

Like everyone else said, the texture is one of the better ones I've felt ever.  Though the stems are very inconsistent, some are looser and some are really tight.  And there are edge warping like people pointed out too.

Typing feel wise it's really weird now.  Not only since it's flat profile so it feels like the 1, 2, 3, 4 and F1, F2, F3, F4 are are really far away now.  I find I also keep striking the edge of the key since it feels like it might have a smaller top surface area.

However in terms of profile height, I think it's a good balance between Cherry height and OEM height.  Since Cherry tend to feel really short in terms of bottom out distance, and OEM being really high.  This set feels like it sits in the middle.

I guess I'll give a bit more time and update you guys on it later.  :P

There are no dots or dash on the keys.  It just have slightly different curvature.  I think it's more "domed" compare to the rest of the keys, but it's definitely enough for you to notice the difference.  However I still prefer the dash better.

I would prefer the changed shape, since I dont always notice the bumps. Each to their own tho.

Offline dante

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 16:01:27 »
question(s):

1) For those of us with no imagination could you show some pictures of how you utilized the saran wrap?
2) I'm assuming these would go on perfectly with boards with cherry stabilizers?

Offline Aliwia

• WTB Cuprubber
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 15:47:35 »
question(s):

1) For those of us with no imagination could you show some pictures of how you utilized the saran wrap?
2) I'm assuming these would go on perfectly with boards with cherry stabilizers?

Cant answer the first one, but they do work with both stabilizer types, provided you have to costar inserts.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 21:00:31 »
Since I'm lazy so only potato picture for now, I'll post nicer pics with my DSLR later on the weekend.

I have to say the blue one look really nice, I had doubts when I first got the keycaps.  The blue look a bit faded and wasn't my favorite type of blue, but somehow after you put everything together on the keyboard it's not too bad.

However I find the F and J sticks out too much compare to the rest of the keys.  By sticking out I don't mean it's taller or anything, but it's too noticeably different than the rest I find it kind of distracting.  I still stand true that I think the dash is still the best method for F and J.

40365-0

Oh and excuse the ghettoness in this one, they literally came out with the tenkey set 2 days after I bought mine, and I don't feel like paying shipping again until I've decide whether or not I'll stick to this set.  So for now the number pad set is from imsto.

40367-1

In the mean time, strategic cropping always helps.  ;P

40369-2

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 04:30:43 »
Since I'm lazy so only potato picture for now, I'll post nicer pics with my DSLR later on the weekend.

I have to say the blue one look really nice, I had doubts when I first got the keycaps.  The blue look a bit faded and wasn't my favorite type of blue, but somehow after you put everything together on the keyboard it's not too bad.

However I find the F and J sticks out too much compare to the rest of the keys.  By sticking out I don't mean it's taller or anything, but it's too noticeably different than the rest I find it kind of distracting.  I still stand true that I think the dash is still the best method for F and J.

(Attachment Link)

Oh and excuse the ghettoness in this one, they literally came out with the tenkey set 2 days after I bought mine, and I don't feel like paying shipping again until I've decide whether or not I'll stick to this set.  So for now the number pad set is from imsto.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

This, with reciprocal legends ... want, want, want!

Offline Forsythe

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 12:53:15 »
Dat Blue and White, forever elegant and beautiful. How does the stem feel? Did it had the same problem as the plum DSA?

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Offline Aliwia

• WTB Cuprubber
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 14:09:59 »
The blue and white set looks so nice, do want  :eek:

Offline foxtrott

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 01:43:36 »

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

I bought the same combination .. blue and white. Unfortunately for me there was no backspace. but was replenished me free  :thumb:

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 16:50:03 »
Why I have to read this while knowing they have free shipping on the site?! Dang wallethack!
CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline tbc

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 21:40:14 »
i lost :)

SP 50+      wallet -1,000,000

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 05:17:59 »
I got my ones (104 keys, all black set) and I'm not satisfied with the quality of Signature Plastics. Stabilisers fall off and are really flaky, I needed to put tiny bits of tissues in keys to hold the stabs.
Also the texture is different on normal 1x keycaps and the larger ones which. Weirdly deep dish caps have the same texture as the longer keys.
I'm not a fan of the sandpapery texture of the keys. I much prefer the smoother texture of the dip dish caps and it would be great if all keys were like them.
I do like the profile though. I like lower keys more than the OEM Filco or the PBT caps from ebay. I also love the spherical tops - the look and feel just awesome.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 19:36:41 »
I got my ones (104 keys, all black set) and I'm not satisfied with the quality of Signature Plastics. Stabilisers fall off and are really flaky, I needed to put tiny bits of tissues in keys to hold the stabs.
Also the texture is different on normal 1x keycaps and the larger ones which. Weirdly deep dish caps have the same texture as the longer keys.
I'm not a fan of the sandpapery texture of the keys. I much prefer the smoother texture of the dip dish caps and it would be great if all keys were like them.
I do like the profile though. I like lower keys more than the OEM Filco or the PBT caps from ebay. I also love the spherical tops - the look and feel just awesome.

Loose keycaps is quite normal.  I have a few sets from different places that do this.  I tend to use small squares of plastic ziplock sandwich bag.  This topic comes up every now and again around here.

Different texture could be different runs of keycaps - haven't heard of this before with the DSA sets that have been produces.

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 17:41:22 »

Well now I'm glad I resisted the urge to buy this set since that sounds like a pain to deal with.

Instead I bought a set of those thick PBT caps off ebay...admittedly more painful for my wallet, but I've heard too many good things about them!!  ;D
CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline czarek

• FalbaTech
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 04:10:46 »
Yep... I decided to swap back to my previous set - thin black blank PBT from eBay which is so far my favourite set - nice feel, excellent fit and finish. As for DSA I will use it for my ErgoDox prototypes, and I'm really not sure where to get decent keycaps for the fully assembled keyboard option I want to offer in future. I hoped this signature plastics caps will do it but I'm really disappointed.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 00:36:12 »
As for loose stems, I use plumber's tape and it seems to do the trick:  http://kitchenbathroomfixtures.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/teflon_tape.jpg

Also my experience is quite the opposite compare to you guys.  Initially i wasn't impressed with the build quality since there are edge warping, some stem tighter than others, and the F and J key just feels weird.

But now I've swap out my F and J to just regular key and after using it for a while and now I think I actually like how this set feels.  I think it's a good bottom out distance and it looks nice on my keyboard lol.

Although I've acquired Poker II recently so I have to compare it with the stock OEM thick PBT to see which I like better, though I suspect I'll probably like thick PBT better but I'll let you guys know tomorrow.  :P

Offline tbc

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 22:41:38 »
got some of my DSA set installed today.  pretty much everything except the base + spacebar.

keycap quality is DEFINITELY sketchy.  I'm having trouble fitting my capslock key on, which is really freaking me out because i can't think of any other 1.75 key anywhere on the board.

travel distance is kinda weird.  it feels like i have MORE than 4mm before bottoming out, somewhere closer to 6mm.  in reality, i'm sure nothing has actually changed, but the feeling has definitely changed.

DSA is pretty much mandatory for people with non-standard keysets (not quite moogle or tsangan) unless you're okay with mixing and matching and spending the money for that.

Offline thoere

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 14:17:47 »
I have these on my QFR w/ blues, white alphas with blue mods. They feel super clean to type on and the white doesn't get dirty easily. Love the colors. I'm really proud of my keyboard now.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 17:17:05 »
I have these on my QFR w/ blues, white alphas with blue mods. They feel super clean to type on and the white doesn't get dirty easily. Love the colors. I'm really proud of my keyboard now.

A little customisation makes a huge difference!

But where is the photo?

Offline catnipz0098

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 19:21:29 »
got some of my DSA set installed today.  pretty much everything except the base + spacebar.

keycap quality is DEFINITELY sketchy.  I'm having trouble fitting my capslock key on, which is really freaking me out because i can't think of any other 1.75 key anywhere on the board.

travel distance is kinda weird.  it feels like i have MORE than 4mm before bottoming out, somewhere closer to 6mm.  in reality, i'm sure nothing has actually changed, but the feeling has definitely changed.

DSA is pretty much mandatory for people with non-standard keysets (not quite moogle or tsangan) unless you're okay with mixing and matching and spending the money for that.

Is SP usually that bad quality?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 19:40:04 »

Is SP usually that bad quality?

No, definitely not.

See their FAQ # 22.

Most GBs are done via SP, and most are completely fine.

Offline tbc

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 19:40:53 »
I rate consistency as a measure of quality when dealing with standard caps (eg gasmasks are novelties and handmade, so consistency between any two is never judged).

I would say that anyone casually using their kb every day would never realize that the inconsistencies unless they were intentionally staring at them it.  however, someone doing very basic quality inspection of every cap as they're being installed would very quickly realize the current one is slightly different than the previous cap.

EDIT:

for clarity, my criticism was 95% about consistency.  the vast majority of caps (when looked at individually) are fine.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 November 2013, 19:42:50 by tbc »

Offline thoere

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 20:50:38 »

A little customisation makes a huge difference!

But where is the photo?

Offline tbc

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 21:10:06 »
i guess you don't play SC2.  it's all about the MACRO! ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 22:05:41 »
Nice clean setup :)

Offline thoere

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 22:25:30 »
Nice clean setup :)
Thanks, although now the PC is on my desk. I like keeping my stuff nice and tidy.

Offline Olitender

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 18:59:09 »
The DSA keycaps are indeed nice! They feel very different from your standard DCS keycaps.

They aren't the thickest pbt blanks I've bought, but for 18 dollars, they are kind of a steal.

Here are some blue base DSA keycaps I bought from keycapsdirect. They don't have the blue base set for sale
because they dont have a  bluespacebar to match the blue base set, but I exchanged emails with customer
service (very helpful) and asked for a white spice bar to go with my white modifiers.

Sorry for the bad phone image.

Going into heat.

Offline czarek

• FalbaTech
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 04:12:19 »
You know I think it could be an issue with black keycaps. It's pretty much the same as with Unicomp's keycaps. Their white/grey set feels awesome - to be honest they have the best feel of all keycaps I ever tried (can be compared only to white Topre caps, but even Topre is no match IMO), while their blacks are the worst, texture is rough and uneven just like with those SP DSAs.
I'll give it a try with white caps, but for now I'm just too cheap and not that eager to try them.

Offline justnits

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 09:24:36 »
http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/product/dsa-pbt-blank-sets

is there any pictures of what the ergo set's colour scheme looks like?
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue
[Sold]Keycool 87 PBT White Cherry MX Blue | [Sold]ikbc F-104 Cherry MX Brown

Offline tbc

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 13:46:52 »
it's just one color.  when ergodox kit has every single key.  but for normal sets, they split the base and the mods.

Offline justnits

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 22:59:39 »
it's just one color.  when ergodox kit has every single key.  but for normal sets, they split the base and the mods.

bummer :(
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue
[Sold]Keycool 87 PBT White Cherry MX Blue | [Sold]ikbc F-104 Cherry MX Brown

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 02:01:43 »
BTW. I noticed that the DSA-profile keys made of PBT are really tight on MX Clears. You have to pull very hard to get them off.

Offline tbc

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 02:03:12 »

bummer :(

you  could message them and ask them if they might update their site to allow for only ergo mods (split just like their normal layout).

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 08:22:11 »
Just an update for those GHers that want to try the DSA profile. The group buy for the skull squadron set has now the base set at only $44 plus shipping. Awesome deal if you consider it is a double shot set. Check my signature for a link to the GB.

Offline skuko

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 05 March 2014, 08:35:58 »
i got a set of these from a fellow geekhacker to test out the DSA profile and i have to say i freaking love it :)

i only installed the main cluster because i don't fancy blanks, so the whole board is gonna be changed up when i get a full DSA set (be it the macross, DSA Hyper Fuse or the Retro)

can't freakin wait :D