Author Topic: Custom Keycap Ideas Thread - all ideas welcome  (Read 986360 times)

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
Re: Custom Keycap Ideas Thread - all ideas welcome
« Reply #1100 on: Sun, 01 January 2017, 21:15:35 »
I love Dolch, but I prefer traditional Dolch colors.

Do you mean the legends must be white not cyan color?  :p

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #1101 on: Wed, 04 January 2017, 16:21:48 »
SA Metro (PBT Dye-Sub)

In Livingspeedbump's words: A neat idea for a WASD keyset  ;)

Offline Kammi

« Reply #1102 on: Sun, 08 January 2017, 13:56:50 »
Hi, been reading for a while but decided to make an account so I could share a thing!

I designed some keycaps based on the Korean/Japanese card game of hwatu or hanafuda. For those unfamiliar, a standard deck can be seen here: https://seoulseoul.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/eab3a0ec8aa4ed86b11.jpg. The style of the game is a little similar to go-fish mashed up with poker, which is weird but fun.

So far I have this design:

which includes the tentative full layout and some novelty ideas. The colors are SignaturePlastics ABS, and I haven't decided on a profile yet but I'm leaning towards SA.

I'm looking to get some advice and feedback on whether to take this further or not! For now it's just a fun pet project, but future plans may include a Korean alpha set, font styles, and other modifiers for different layouts :)

Offline dante

« Reply #1103 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 17:58:59 »
How does one come up with a keyset based on a movie without getting sued?  I'm pretty sure the rights would be cost prohibitive to obtain.

Offline zslane

« Reply #1104 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 18:35:28 »
In most cases the rights owner will not even respond to your request, much less grant you a license. The clerical costs of preparing, filing, and enforcing the license agreement would vastly surpass the revenue it would generate for them. You'd be lucky to even get a form letter rejecting your proposal.

What most artisan designers do is make the product without consent and hope that the rights owner doesn't notice or pursue legal action. Such a strategy will almost always work because even sending a cease and desist order to stop production and sales would be more trouble than it's worth to a large entertainment conglomerate.

Offline dante

« Reply #1105 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 20:10:32 »
Thanks for the info.  I'm going to wait until Semiotic is in my hands but I think I'd like to do a set loosely based on the movie Interstellar.

I'm pretty sure the enter key is going to say "No, it's necessary" :D

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #1106 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 12:41:32 »

Offline muni_chang

• Keyboarding Kills
« Reply #1107 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 01:11:40 »
Design by muni_chang
DSA profile
PBT dye-sub or ABS double-shot
Manufacture by MOJOcaps or SP ( I don't think this set will be made)
Jan 28th 2017 is Chinese traditional Spring Festival call "Chun Jie"
Hope you guys will like the Oriental colours and sorry about I didn't design the novels
Anyway Happy Chinese New Year!
Keyboarding Kills

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #1108 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 21:55:25 »

« Last Edit: Fri, 20 January 2017, 22:16:08 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #1109 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 21:57:04 »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1110 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 21:57:05 »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #1111 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 22:10:42 »
Okay.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #1112 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 22:16:42 »
I turned it upside-down. It looked too much like a smile the other way.

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #1113 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 21:28:36 »

Offline drakeonyou

• facebook
« Reply #1114 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 22:07:57 »
Show Image

Show Image

I'm not a fan of GMK but that colorway is sexy.

Offline zslane

« Reply #1115 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 22:29:04 »
Reminds me of:

158291-0

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #1116 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 22:47:38 »
Reminds me of:

(Attachment Link)

haha,that's not really the same. Alphas zone and the adapters' color are opposite.

Offline zslane

« Reply #1117 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 12:35:50 »
True.

But a "reverse LightCycle" is more LightCycle than it is Dolch. Besides, to my mind, a Dolch set isn't really Dolch if the legends aren't white. It is, at best, just a dark gray colorway misappropriating the Dolch name.

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #1118 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 21:17:28 »
Show Image

Show Image

I'm not a fan of GMK but that colorway is sexy.

Yes, Dolch color + cyan legends look beautiful.  :p

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #1119 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 18:27:22 »
Beautiful concept, I agree!

Having said that, can you imagine how odd it'd seem to the vast majority of people in the world that anyone would spend this much time and trouble fussing over just one type of computer component?

If you stop to think about it, most people who use keyboards are probably plenty busy just trying to earn enough dough to support themselves and their families. And of course there are the millions of people in refugee camps around the world who can only dream about having their own keyboards, no matter what colors the keys might be.

All I'm saying is, it seems important, doesn't it, to step back every now and then from all this endless cerebration over keyboard detail and get a bit of perspective? You know, to remember that life involves things other than keyboards, and that we might be missing out on a few of those things before we get old and die? I'm just saying. Okay.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1120 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 20:30:44 »
Noted. You don't like custom keyboards or custom key caps. Some of us are on this forum to enjoy odd things. Just sayin'

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1121 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 20:00:47 »
Beautiful concept, I agree!

Having said that, can you imagine how odd it'd seem to the vast majority of people in the world that anyone would spend this much time and trouble fussing over just one type of computer component?

If you stop to think about it, most people who use keyboards are probably plenty busy just trying to earn enough dough to support themselves and their families. And of course there are the millions of people in refugee camps around the world who can only dream about having their own keyboards, no matter what colors the keys might be.

All I'm saying is, it seems important, doesn't it, to step back every now and then from all this endless cerebration over keyboard detail and get a bit of perspective? You know, to remember that life involves things other than keyboards, and that we might be missing out on a few of those things before we get old and die? I'm just saying. Okay.

I suspect there are a few things they'd rather have before a keyboard.

Quote a few things.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mana

« Reply #1122 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 04:38:01 »
http://imgur.com/a/hE6OE

Continuation from a thread I posted at r/mk ( https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/5tsgno/mockup_of_a_silly_idea_would_anyone_use_key/ ) - but with some colour and some updated keycap ideas.

I'd be looking to hopefully make this in SA profile; the colors can change, but I seem to have had some rather positive feedback about the modifiers at the very least.

Does anyone have any experience and is willing to help me turn this into a render?

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #1123 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 17:27:07 »

Continuation from a thread I posted at r/mk ( https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/5tsgno/mockup_of_a_silly_idea_would_anyone_use_key/ ) - but with some colour and some updated keycap ideas.

I'd be looking to hopefully make this in SA profile; the colors can change, but I seem to have had some rather positive feedback about the modifiers at the very least.

Does anyone have any experience and is willing to help me turn this into a render?

SA profile?  So, no rush on this getting this one produced, then.

Offline zslane

« Reply #1124 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 17:37:55 »
Only the very best designs will percolate to the top and garner enough long-term community support to endure an 18-24 month production lead time. Maybe this is a good thing.

Offline RELLIK

• WTB Bro Power Core WASD Set...Still...
« Reply #1125 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 12:37:42 »

Be nice to see a set that pops hot colors (so.much.blue.). Blaster (G1) and Cobra inspired, does this look like anything already done?

KUL-87        FC660M       Filco MJ2

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1126 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 19:57:05 »
Show Image

Be nice to see a set that pops hot colors (so.much.blue.). Blaster (G1) and Cobra inspired, does this look like anything already done?

Red and yellow looks like McDonalds?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline drakeonyou

• facebook
« Reply #1127 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 02:07:39 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 February 2017, 02:38:25 by drakeonyou »

Offline HardcoreDesk

« Reply #1128 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 23:20:41 »
DSA Shoal

https://redd.it/5werg8

A beach-themed keyset in PBT DSA

Offline mana

« Reply #1129 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 02:58:47 »

SA profile?  So, no rush on this getting this one produced, then.

Only the very best designs will percolate to the top and garner enough long-term community support to endure an 18-24 month production lead time. Maybe this is a good thing.

I'll take that as a suggestion that this is one of the "very best" designs you have seen? :p

Offline renatalidiane

« Reply #1130 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 23:27:37 »
I loved these keycaps, can you please  tell me how do I setup the same format (other colors) in the WASD please?  ;D

SA Metro (PBT Dye-Sub)

Show Image

Offline Jubileus

« Reply #1131 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 03:25:21 »
Had this idea of a runescape armor inspired keyset.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/5xzdvw/runescape_guthix_inspired_keyset/

Watcha think?

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #1132 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 04:28:14 »
I was wondering if anyone realized the term cap was being misused here.

For decades, keyboard-industry peeps have called those things you press keys or buttons. (Unicomp calls them both—notice the only reference to "caps" on their page is "Caps Lock".)

So you're probably asking, "What is a cap then?"

Well, it's the top part of a two-piece key, as on most IBM buckling-spring boards. (The part under the cap is the stem.)

Some Model M's have one-piece keys, without removable caps. So those are called—you guessed it—keys or buttons.

(Image found in this GH thread.)

Call them whatever you wish, of course. It just seems odd, this persistent misuse of caps, considering how much GHers are into accuracy. Usually.

« Last Edit: Sat, 25 March 2017, 04:29:45 by ander »

Offline zslane

« Reply #1133 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 11:06:03 »
Well, I certainly favor the use of key instead of keycap; it is faster to type for one thing. But how to get the rest of the community to agree (and conform)?

Offline justinmtype

« Reply #1134 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 10:03:57 »

Offline pepperfez

« Reply #1135 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 14:27:43 »
Are there any examples of attractive serif-font keycaps? I haven't seen one, but it seems like it should exist.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1136 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 21:09:32 »
Wikipedia disagrees:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keycap

And of course you believe everything you read on the internet :p

Oh, wait ...

Anyway, a "key cap" is a cap (hat) for your keys?

Maybe just call them switch covers instead.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #1137 on: Sat, 01 April 2017, 01:29:40 »
Key cap, key, whatever.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 April 2017, 02:49:06 by Niomosy »

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #1138 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 12:28:09 »
DSA Acid Concoction

Offline RELLIK

• WTB Bro Power Core WASD Set...Still...
« Reply #1139 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 23:04:30 »

For decades, keyboard-industry peeps have called those things you press keys or buttons. (Unicomp calls them both—notice the only reference to "caps" on their page is "Caps Lock".)

Well, it's the top part of a two-piece key, as on most IBM buckling-spring boards. (The part under the cap is the stem.)

Some Model M's have one-piece keys, without removable caps. So those are called—you guessed it—keys or buttons.

Show Image

Call them whatever you wish, of course. It just seems odd, this persistent misuse of caps, considering how much GHers are into accuracy. Usually.

Have to say they're caps, not keys. Whether 1 or 2 pieces they are still removable from the mechanical parts. A cap by itself is not a functioning 'key' or 'button', just a piece of plastic. Old IBM terminology from when home computers were still rare per household IMO shows it was a consumer friendly term, not necessarily an accurate one.

Then theres the entire term Key itself taken from a piano where removing a key wasnt just reapplying ivory, if were relying on old terms to be de facto >_>

While one COULD argue for a 1 piece buckling spring cap to be a 'key'because the stem is actually a functioning part of the mechanism, to say that term applies to all other caps is incorrect IMO (kinda like saying "all birds are toucans"  :-\ )

KUL-87        FC660M       Filco MJ2

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1140 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 23:13:36 »

Show Image

Have to say they're caps, not keys. Whether 1 or 2 pieces they are still removable from the mechanical parts. A cap by itself is not a functioning 'key' or 'button', just a piece of plastic. Old IBM terminology from when home computers were still rare per household IMO shows it was a consumer friendly term, not necessarily an accurate one.

Then theres the entire term Key itself taken from a piano where removing a key wasnt just reapplying ivory, if were relying on old terms to be de facto >_>

While one COULD argue for a 1 piece buckling spring cap to be a 'key'because the stem is actually a functioning part of the mechanism, to say that term applies to all other caps is incorrect IMO (kinda like saying "all birds are toucans"  :-\ )

Yea but isn't a key also a low-lying island or reef? My waterproof keyboard is now populated by islands and reefs..

Offline A Future Pilot

• A Descentr
« Reply #1141 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 13:07:22 »
Hey peoples!

So since I first started becoming interested in mechanical keyboards, I've really wanted to make a keycap set. I believe I've mentioned it before, but now I've done some work on it and am kinda stuck.

It's themed from the 1990s PC game "Descent". I'm looking for someone who can help me by creating some vector graphics of some of the elements from the game for the keycaps. If any of you would at all be interested in that, shoot me a PM :)

Thanks!
Here's the WW1 Flying Ace standing beside his Sopwith Camel

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #1142 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 06:28:25 »
DSA Acid Concoction

Show Image

a better render

Offline zslane

« Reply #1143 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 13:19:16 »

Offline srikzquest

« Reply #1144 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 14:10:11 »
SA Metro (PBT Dye-Sub)

Show Image

Is that your keyboard or photo-shopped image. It looks beautiful. How did you achieve that look? I mean what is the basic key set you started with and what are the color codes for those colors and lastly, how much it came around in total? I want to do something similar with DSA (as SA looks very high profile to me) but want to use the color key caps only for the bottom row +shift modifiers. Thank you...

Offline zslane

« Reply #1145 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 14:31:14 »
SA Metro (PBT Dye-Sub)

Show Image

Is that your keyboard or photo-shopped image.

I believe that is a CG render.

Offline proto

« Reply #1146 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 13:13:57 »
Hi,
I have been a lurker on here for a while and I was recently inspired to design a set of custom keycaps. The keycap set is based on the hermes 3000 typewriters, and I am mainly looking for feedback on the color scheme.
Keycaps

Hermes 3000 typewriter

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1147 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 13:40:42 »
Hi,
I have been a lurker on here for a while and I was recently inspired to design a set of custom keycaps. The keycap set is based on the hermes 3000 typewriters, and I am mainly looking for feedback on the color scheme.
Keycaps
Show Image

Hermes 3000 typewriter
Show Image

You'd love zslane's proposed HERMES Rocketeer SA keyset :) https://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/hermes-rocketeer-sa-keyset-proposal-t14483.html

Offline proto

« Reply #1148 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 14:59:16 »
You'd love zslane's proposed HERMES Rocketeer SA keyset :) https://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/hermes-rocketeer-sa-keyset-proposal-t14483.html
Wow I may have to buy that  ;) and its back to the drawing board for my first keycap set.

Offline JokersHarley

« Reply #1149 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 13:06:20 »
Can anyone help me find a place that will print a picture onto a keycap(so a customizable key cap) its for a gift(: