Author Topic: [IC] IFK musubi. 5/10/21 SHIPPING  (Read 81538 times)

Offline ertisan

[IC] IFK musubi. 5/10/21 SHIPPING
« on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 23:26:34 »

Updates.

5/10/21
- Shipping is underway and people have started receiving their kits/mats

8/18/20
- Updated board renders

8/14/20
- Kits have been finalized by TKC. Unfortunately due to low interest in the color kit, it has been axed and mega-addon kit has been made smaller as to remove the extra color options. Prices have been adjusted accordingly.
- Deskmat designs are now up!
- GB date listed as Aug 28th on TKC.
- Box design is finished but will be kept under wraps. It'll be like a small hopefully present visual surprise when you get your set in the mail!

5/27/20
- New google form to gauge interest in each individual kit.
- Preliminary prices for kits have been added.

5/22/20
- Small update to kits based on feedback. Pricing will be updated once fully finalized.

7/19/20
- Biggest change to this update is that the Pantone colors have changed. This is because the factory uses uncoated Pantone colors vs coated. You can see a comparison of the old and new Pantone colors below in the Pantone section.
- Kits have been updated based on feedback. Big changes are Hirgana w/ Latin in the base kit. I understand the frustration for those who wanted Latin only but my thought process on this was that the theme is based off of a Japanese ideology and based on feedback, this is what the large majority of people wanted. Novelties have been finalized and a lot of you guys asked for a spam musubi novelty so that has been added. Mega Add-on also finalized. A color kit was another thing I asked in my feedback and once again a large majority wanted this. This kit will allow you to swap out any yellow or blue modifier in the base kit. Note this is only works for the base kit modifiers. Part of the reason the Mega Add-on kit is so... Mega in size is because it is a self contained color swap kit.
- New artisan collaboration: Artkey Universe.
- Kit prices, Vendor, and GB date have been finalized below.
- Things left to do are finalize box art and mat design(s).

5/7/20
- Created new feedback form to collect feedback specifically on the base kit alphas. (I base my design decisions on the feedback in the form so please fill it out!) Google form
- Introducing 3 more artisan collaborations! Alpha Keycaps, Sodie Caps, and Wildstory Caps!
- Introducing cable collaboration! ZeusCables!
- Set will be Infinikey PBT and the vendor will be TheKey.Company! Group Buy date has been set but will be announced at a later date.
- Image of Pantone chips added

Group Buy.
Dates
August 28th @ 6PM ET

Vendors
US - TheKey.Company
EU - Proto[Typist] Keyboards
Asia - zFrontier
Australia - SwitchKeys
Canada - Deskhero

Pricing
Base Kit $90
Mega Add-on Kit $65
Latin Kit $30
Novelty Kit $39

About IFK musubi.
"Musubi is the old way of calling the local guardian god. This word has profound meaning. Typing thread is Musubi. Connecting people is Musubi. The flow of time is Musubi. These are all the god's power. So the braided cords that we make are the god's art and represent the flow of time itself. They converge and take shape. They twist, tangle, sometimes unravel, break, and then connect again. Musubi - knotting. That's time."

IFK musubi. is inspired by the thread worn by the two main characters in a popular animated Japanese film. The thread was a physical manifestation of the concept of Musubi and ended up being symbolic of their journey together and apart through both space and time. Whether you're a fan of the movie or you just really enjoy the colors, please take a look and leave some feedback/comments below!

As of right now there are plans for a desk mat and hopefully some more collaborations. This might change based on level of interest.

Kits.
Base $90

Mega Add-on $65

Latin $30

Novelty $39

Deskmats.
Silhouette

Egasumi Light

Egasumi Gradient

Keyboards.

Viktus Styrka

Iron180

Pantone.

Collaborations.

@alphakeycaps - @artkey.universe - @goldenstar_keycap - @krapshop

@latrialum - @sodiecaps - @wildstory.caps

@zeuscables

Roadmap.
- GB!

Social.
If you're interested in following this or other projects in the future by me, follow my instagram at @ertisan.studios

Signature.
If you'd like to support the set and get the word out, please put this banner in your signature:

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106045.0][img width=250 height=125]https://i.ibb.co/wNVd0LV/musubi-Title-V2.png[/img][/url]

Special Thanks.
- Meika: For helping turn the novelties from ideas into actual art.
- SGrumpyBunny: For his amazing blender file that was the base for my renders.
- Vorckus: www.dakotafelder.com was super helpful in my blender learning journey
- Langelandia: Answering my questions and giving me advice on all things keysets.
- LBaron: For providing/allowing the use of Iron180

« Last Edit: Wed, 26 May 2021, 05:14:46 by ertisan »

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

Re: [IC] PBT musubi.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 23:37:52 »
Dam thats colorful  ;D

Offline DJ Clicks

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 23:50:13 »
YESYESYESYES!!! FINALLY A COLOURFUL GOOD LOOKING PBT SET!! Imo it would look better to make hiragana the base kit and the Latin kit to be a separate kit. I'm hoping that the 1u \| key will be blue in the base kit and maybe icon 2u backspace. SUPER LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS SET. Please keep this set pbt. There are too many gmk sets and not enough good looking pbt sets.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 April 2020, 00:09:33 by DJ Clicks »

Offline Idod

• Formerly templa23
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 23:52:18 »
Yes, In 100%, I will buy out MOQ if I have to

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 00:08:36 »
Earlier today, there was a thread about a set w some KLE pics and some hex colors. Now, there’s this IC, where the initial post should be screengrabbed for posterity as to what the first post in an IC should look like. Maybe this isn’t your plastic, or colors, or theme. That’s cool. But in terms of selling a design...this is it.

Offline powahause

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 00:11:25 »
Assuming reverse dysub for the colored caps? Looks sick but may be hard to make

Offline DJ Clicks

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 00:13:52 »
Have you tried infinikey?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 00:28:51 »
White Enter accent... so an anti-accent? Doesn't work imo, there should be blue Enter and Esc options instead. They appear in the keyboard render, but don't seem to be present in the kit pic.

Big fan of the color palette, but not so sure about this particular implementation.

Edit: These blue keys are going to need to be yellow in order to work, since they're supposed to be mixed with the nav cluster keys (which are yellow). The blue Fn can stay blue since there's already a yellow one below it.

Edit 2: Not sure if you're planning on running this in EPBT or Infinikey (probably the latter, since EPBT likely isn't going to be able to reverse dye sub this based on their current manufacturing capabilities), but if those F, J, 5 keys are flat and not scooped, you might as well drop them and keep just the barred ones, since very few people in the community use flat/non-homing F, J, 5 keys.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 April 2020, 00:45:19 by konstantin »

Offline synthtastic

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 00:37:04 »
Yeeeeees this looks fantastic!!!
Expensive plastic makes me sigh.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 00:49:31 »
I want to buy strictly because I love that movie.

Offline J3ff_Leopard

• Wishlist
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 00:52:20 »
Read the title and expected to find some Spam. There is no Spam.
WTB Resin Cast Click Clack Leaf

Offline ertisan

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 00:56:53 »
YESYESYESYES!!! FINALLY A COLOURFUL GOOD LOOKING PBT SET!! Imo it would look better to make hiragana the base kit and the Latin kit to be a separate kit. I'm hoping that the 1u \| key will be blue in the base kit and maybe icon 2u backspace. SUPER LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS SET. Please keep this set pbt. There are too many gmk sets and not enough good looking pbt sets.

Dam thats colorful  ;D

Yeeeeees this looks fantastic!!!

Yes, In 100%, I will buy out MOQ if I have to

I do appreciate the encouragement!

Earlier today, there was a thread about a set w some KLE pics and some hex colors. Now, there’s this IC, where the initial post should be screengrabbed for posterity as to what the first post in an IC should look like. Maybe this isn’t your plastic, or colors, or theme. That’s cool. But in terms of selling a design...this is it.

Thank you for the kind words. I asked around as to what info people would like to see in an IC since it's my first time. This was the culmination of a few people's input. It's really thanks to them!

White Enter accent... so an anti-accent? Doesn't work imo, there should be blue Enter and Esc options instead. They appear in the keyboard render, but don't seem to be present in the kit pic.

Big fan of the color palette, but not so sure about this particular implementation.

Edit: These blue keys are going to need to be yellow in order to work, since they're supposed to be mixed with the nav cluster keys (which are yellow). The blue Fn can stay blue since there's already a yellow one below it.

Show Image

Edit 2: Not sure if you're planning on running this in EPBT or Infinikey (probably the latter, since EPBT likely isn't going to be able to reverse dye sub this based on their current manufacturing capabilities), but if those F, J, 5 keys are flat and not scooped, you might as well drop them and keep just the barred ones, since very few people in the community use flat/non-homing F, J, 5 keys.

The attention to detail and feedback is so appreciated. The render keyboard should've had a red enter. Good eye. Will have to update that keyboard render to have a red enter. Your idea on the anti-accent is intriguing and I'll probably switch to blue. Seems like lots of people are digging the blue there. As for the nav cluster and the blue keys around it, I wanted the pgdn, pgup, etc keys to be different from the nav arrows. I'm def open to changing it esp depending on how it looks laid out on a keyboard that supports those keys. I got caught up in making them blue because the arrow keys are yellow in that particular area. That'll have to be addressed.

Have you tried infinikey?

Assuming reverse dysub for the colored caps? Looks sick but may be hard to make

Looks like infinikey is the way to go. Hopefully we can make it happen!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 01:05:54 »
As for the nav cluster and the blue keys around it, I wanted the pgdn, pgup, etc keys to be different from the nav arrows. I'm def open to changing it esp depending on how it looks laid out on a keyboard that supports those keys. I got caught up in making them blue because the arrow keys are yellow in that particular area. That'll have to be addressed.

You should be able to change them to yellow and make it work, since there are also blue arrows in the kit :thumb:

The alternative option is to keep the nav keys blue, but then also add blue R1 Home, R1 PgDn and R2 Del keys in order to support the different possible 65%/75%/1800 setups.

I think the first option is better since it involves less keys and still has the potential to look good.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 April 2020, 01:08:26 by konstantin »

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 01:08:50 »
I have some minor concerns with the intricacies on some of the novelties that might not look so well on reverse dye sub, as well as some minor colour qualms [alpha-coloured enter but no mod enter, and imo yellow bottom row displaces the set too much for me (possibly just have alt/code yellow and keep mod-colour for else?)]

That being said, I love the colours and where this is going, and appreciate that you're using latin monolegends and hiragana subs as a child kit (with the arguably better "mito subs"). The set IMO doesn't need subs with how much is going on, and I'm glad more people are taking this approach on anime-themed sets with what I did with Noel and Yuru.

Hope to see updates soon!
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 April 2020, 01:16:39 by Agilr »

Offline cadrev

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 07:38:50 »
Looks nice! I'm in!

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 07:52:24 »
Where's the spam?

Offline chanzjj

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 07:56:55 »
Colours look very similar to GMK Belafonte.

Offline synthtastic

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 08:12:11 »
Nope.

Offline noodleman

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 08:42:26 »
teal a small accent colour on the hair tie/bracelet, but it's a major colour in this kit, so to me it doesn't really evoke the colours from it.  if the main colours of the kit were red and orange with a touch of teal accents i think it would better represent the hair tie/bracelet.

Offline hkiri

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 10:40:01 »
This actually works pretty well!

Offline Tyson

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 11:37:09 »

What are you smoking, and can I have some. lol

Offline bananafritters

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 03:15:46 »
I like this but I wish there are more red-orange than teal (in reference to the anime).

Offline Felt

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 10:06:54 »
I think the color balance is amazing here. The Teal really makes the Orange and Red pop. There was obviously a lot of deliberation on the color layout and I love how this set could even appeal to those who havent even seem the film. A++

Offline FTR_Beat

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 10:24:24 »
oooh, really like this set and the colors combination! I think, the weeb set comes out as clean with this colors scheme.

Render of the fc660m is on point  :thumb:

Offline FTR_Beat

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 10:27:20 »
I think the color balance is amazing here. The Teal really makes the Orange and Red pop. There was obviously a lot of deliberation on the color layout and I love how this set could even appeal to those who havent even seem the film. A++

You got it right! I haven't seen the film and really like this set and colors scheme =)

Offline fabijolo

• I like expensive plastic.
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 12:18:12 »
I think this is gonna turn out great, especially in pbt, good job :thumb:

Offline Tyson

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 14:24:40 »
I love the movie, unfortunately the colors of this set don't do it for me. I'm sure it'll do well! A lot of other people look forward to it! Good Luck!

Offline KEYGEM

• * Vendor
    • KEYGEM Online Shop
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 15:09:02 »
I really like the combination of colors but what I realllllly like is your explanation of the name. This makes it even more special :)

Offline Lazesummerstone

• ҠѤӋϚΔΡѕ
    • MY Keycap set - Transmutation
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 14:03:20 »
I have a wood keyboard that I really want to put this set into. It really does give me some traditional Japanese candy store vibes.

Offline chanzjj

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 14:34:27 »

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 15:21:58 »

Show Image

Show Image

So what if they're similar? Mito doesn't own those colors or that combination of them. And the rest of the set is beige not blue.

Offline Enroze

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 15:26:41 »
This looks awesome! Really looking forwards to seeing possible deskmat designs soon too, good luck :D

Offline danieljgrouse

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 16:10:25 »

Show Image

Show Image

I don't think pointing to accent kits of two sets that otherwise look nothing alike and claiming that the two sets "have similar colours" just because some of the accent keys happen to have vaguely similar colours is entirely reasonable or helpful to anyone.

Offline ertisan

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 16:38:34 »
I have some minor concerns with the intricacies on some of the novelties that might not look so well on reverse dye sub, as well as some minor colour qualms [alpha-coloured enter but no mod enter, and imo yellow bottom row displaces the set too much for me (possibly just have alt/code yellow and keep mod-colour for else?)]

That being said, I love the colours and where this is going, and appreciate that you're using latin monolegends and hiragana subs as a child kit (with the arguably better "mito subs"). The set IMO doesn't need subs with how much is going on, and I'm glad more people are taking this approach on anime-themed sets with what I did with Noel and Yuru.

Hope to see updates soon!

I definitely share your concern about some of the novelties and will probably have to ask the vendor/manufacturer for more information as to whats possible and what is pushing it. Definitely a learning process for me. As for colors I think I like the split but I'm definitely reading a lot of feedback about wanting more yellow or more blue. It'll be hard to decide what to do but I'm gonna do my best. Thank you for the support and great feedback!

I think this is gonna turn out great, especially in pbt, good job :thumb:

Looks nice! I'm in!

This actually works pretty well!

oooh, really like this set and the colors combination! I think, the weeb set comes out as clean with this colors scheme.

Render of the fc660m is on point  :thumb:

You got it right! I haven't seen the film and really like this set and colors scheme =)

I really like the combination of colors but what I realllllly like is your explanation of the name. This makes it even more special :)

I have a wood keyboard that I really want to put this set into. It really does give me some traditional Japanese candy store vibes.

Thank you all for the kind words! Definitely means a lot to me.

I love the movie, unfortunately the colors of this set don't do it for me. I'm sure it'll do well! A lot of other people look forward to it! Good Luck!

Thank you for the encouragement though!

This looks awesome! Really looking forwards to seeing possible deskmat designs soon too, good luck :D

It's currently in the works.

teal a small accent colour on the hair tie/bracelet, but it's a major colour in this kit, so to me it doesn't really evoke the colours from it.  if the main colours of the kit were red and orange with a touch of teal accents i think it would better represent the hair tie/bracelet.

I like this but I wish there are more red-orange than teal (in reference to the anime).

I've been looking at the google responses and gonna tweak the base kit a little bit and maybe introduce another minor extension kit for colors. Theres a lot of people who like having more blue and also a lot of people who want more of the orange/yellow. I'm going to try to strike a balance that hopefully will make as many people happy without losing the original vision of the set.

Where's the spam?

Haha having a spam artisan would be kinda funny.

Hopefully the layout and shade of the colors will set this set apart from Belafonte enough!

Offline synthtastic

[IC] PBT musubi. UPDATE: Initial collabs
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 17:38:03 »
Don’t mind me. Just here to say yet again this set looks absolutely amazing. I love colorful boards.

Having said that, I agree with others that having some colorful mod kits would be really nice.

Offline Jaystice

Re: [IC] PBT musubi. UPDATE: Initial collabs
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 19:54:29 »
Okay, now this is epic.
Bottom Text

Offline DJ Clicks

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 21:21:36 »
Any chance that hiragana alphas are included in the base kit instead of Latin alphas?

Offline Hanabi

• Falling into a black hole.
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 22:30:25 »
Really loving the theme! Looks amazing.

Offline joonia

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 00:45:13 »
im gonna need all of this.

Offline Enroze

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 15:06:28 »
Checked back in to see if there was anything new, read the updates and just wanted to +1 the matching cable idea, I think it'd really fit the theme :D

Offline Romutulus

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 19:58:02 »
Are you taking requests for renders by any chance? I kind of want to see it in a white or red case like a red candybar or white 7v. I really like this set, but I am just unsure how well the colors of the caps will fit with regular case colors for me.

Offline ertisan

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 00:25:37 »
Okay, now this is epic.

im gonna need all of this.

Thank you for being onboard the musubi. hype train!

Don’t mind me. Just here to say yet again this set looks absolutely amazing. I love colorful boards.

Having said that, I agree with others that having some colorful mod kits would be really nice.

Any chance that hiragana alphas are included in the base kit instead of Latin alphas?

One of the questions I'll definitely be asking the vendor is what possible kit arrangements can I do to try to accommodate as many people.

Checked back in to see if there was anything new, read the updates and just wanted to +1 the matching cable idea, I think it'd really fit the theme :D

Definitely working on reaching out for a cable collab! Heres hoping for the best.

Are you taking requests for renders by any chance? I kind of want to see it in a white or red case like a red candybar or white 7v. I really like this set, but I am just unsure how well the colors of the caps will fit with regular case colors for me.

I actually worked out a quick white case render I was gonna add with a later update but let me throw it up now.

Offline Idod

• Formerly templa23
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 01:26:56 »

Would love a render with the blue 7v as well if you ever take request for renders

Offline ertisan

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 01:30:34 »

Would love a render with the blue 7v as well if you ever take request for renders

Unfortunately I am not in possession of the 7v case file. I will definitely see what I can do but for the most part the cases I use are all openly available online to anyone. If I can't get ahold of the 7v, I'll try to look for another case and make it blue!

Offline Idod

• Formerly templa23
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 02:13:08 »

Unfortunately I am not in possession of the 7v case file. I will definitely see what I can do but for the most part the cases I use are all openly available online to anyone. If I can't get ahold of the 7v, I'll try to look for another case and make it blue!

That would be amazing love the set anyways so its almost a for sure grab from me but If you could match it on any blue keyboard it would be great to see what color looks the best for the keycaps

Offline ertisan

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 01:36:19 »
That would be amazing love the set anyways so its almost a for sure grab from me but If you could match it on any blue keyboard it would be great to see what color looks the best for the keycaps

Went ahead and added a render of musubi. on a blue Iron180.

Offline Idod

• Formerly templa23
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 02:22:03 »

Went ahead and added a render of musubi. on a blue Iron180.

That looks great! Now its definitely a must pick up for me, I will be awaiting any updates you have on this project and hope I won't have to wait too long for it to enter GB

Offline DJ Clicks

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 04:09:26 »
Could you add the profiles for the novelties? Is there a novelty for the 1.5u backspace and tab? And have you considered removing the numpad from the base kit to save on costs?

Offline MechanicalNerd

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 03:47:39 »
Definitely in for this, can't wait!  :thumb:

Offline ertisan

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 14:26:25 »
Could you add the profiles for the novelties? Is there a novelty for the 1.5u backspace and tab? And have you considered removing the numpad from the base kit to save on costs?

I'm currently working on how to do the kits and I can def add the profiles for the novelties when I rework the kits a little. I don't believe theres a backspace or tab novelty atm. I did look into removing the numpad and making the set more modular overall but after asking around for advice, thats probably not the way to go. There will probably be a new google form up in a couple of days with more specific questions regarding kits and the base kit overall.

Definitely in for this, can't wait!  :thumb:

Woo! Thank you!

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 15:32:20 »
I agree with the dude above that hiragana sublegends should be in the main set. I'm not sure if I'll buy, but I'll be observing this IC.

Also, if I buy this set will a meteor murder me in my sleep?

Offline ertisan

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 17:19:49 »
I agree with the dude above that hiragana sublegends should be in the main set. I'm not sure if I'll buy, but I'll be observing this IC.

Also, if I buy this set will a meteor murder me in my sleep?

That will definitely be a question on the next google form. Do people interested in buying the set prefer hiragana alpha or latin alpha in base. I've gotten this feedback a lot and I can only make one group happy in this regards so it will probably be whichever group is the majority.

I cannot promise you will or will not be murdered by a meteor in your sleep. But if you've been body swapping lately with someone in a nearby town, I would definitely consider buying some meteor insurance. :thumb:

Offline NAV

• Formerly A_Vicarious_Death
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 08:55:28 »
I REALLY REALLY like this! Would prefer japanese alphas :D

Offline timtamale

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 09:09:18 »
Count me in, looks amazing!

Offline stuey138

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 18:13:38 »
Need Hiragana sublegends in base, they seem so appropriate. Quite a pretty set.

Offline ertisan

Re: [IC] PBT musubi. 5/7/20 UPDATE: Vendor/Collabs/Pantone
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 18:48:25 »
I REALLY REALLY like this! Would prefer japanese alphas :D

Need Hiragana sublegends in base, they seem so appropriate. Quite a pretty set.

So far Japanese alphas in the base set is heavily requested. I'm leaning towards that myself but I put up a new google form with that exact question and some other ones so I can gather more data. I plan on making my decision based on what people pick.

Count me in, looks amazing!

Thank you. Thank you!

Offline TalksToChalk

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 19:40:40 »
Hoping that Latin only Alphas stay in the base kit.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 20:23:22 »

This. The set's aesthetic is already busy due to the different colors, so it could do without the added visual clutter that sublegends bring.

Offline IMZO

• Matrix shill, and TKL WKL Lover
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 21:51:31 »
I kinda like it.. i hope the default set comes with the weeb alphas tho
More
Current boards: Jane V2 CE , Matrix 1.2og Silver WKL , Matrix 2.0add coating black WKL, Matrix 2.0add WKL Coating yellow, Satisfaction75 R1 Cloud white, Korno65, Bloop65, HHKB Pro 2 white,Lin Whale Pink WKL, Gok 7v White, Gok 7v Black, Orion V3 Silver WKL, Orion V2.5 Red WKL, Geon F1-8x Silver WK, Haus65 BlueGray, Plume65, Vertigo, Frog TKL WKL GreenF13

Offline Enroze

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 16:26:41 »
I see that ZeusCables collab! So excited ;) Filled out the new form, I think that Hiragana sublegends fit really well with some of the artisans in a way that Latin alphas don't.

Offline Romutulus

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 21:10:53 »
So many artisans collaborators. Does that mean we are expecting multiple artisans for this kit?

Offline farmisen

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 15:52:56 »
Can we have a spam musubi novelty? Pretty please.

Offline binxberry

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 11:26:13 »
just told myself i was done with the last set i bought but, i guess not! (isn’t that always the case). just filled out the ic really looking forward to this set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Waffle0508

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 19:24:34 »
I will definitely try to buy all kits!

Offline cadrev

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 21:19:56 »
By the way, with regards to the novelties, can we get a consistent colored column from R1-R4, I see current 65% and 75% utilized these kinds of novelties for their isolated pg down, pg up, insert, delete keys. Just like in GMK Bento and Metropolis.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 05:58:58 »
By the way, with regards to the novelties, can we get a consistent colored column from R1-R4, I see current 65% and 75% utilized these kinds of novelties for their isolated pg down, pg up, insert, delete keys. Just like in GMK Bento and Metropolis.

The runner mentioned on the previous page that he would address this. If the right column keys are changed to yellow, then it should be good.
As for the nav cluster and the blue keys around it, I wanted the pgdn, pgup, etc keys to be different from the nav arrows. I'm def open to changing it esp depending on how it looks laid out on a keyboard that supports those keys. I got caught up in making them blue because the arrow keys are yellow in that particular area. That'll have to be addressed.

You should be able to change them to yellow and make it work, since there are also blue arrows in the kit :thumb:

The alternative option is to keep the nav keys blue, but then also add blue R1 Home, R1 PgDn and R2 Del keys in order to support the different possible 65%/75%/1800 setups.

I think the first option is better since it involves less keys and still has the potential to look good.

Offline DJ Clicks

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 22:03:50 »
This might be a long shot, but could there be icon mods?

Offline Lanes

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 14:30:26 »
YES YES AND YES. I need you to make this so I can buy two sets, one for me and one for my boyfriend so we can have matching keyboards with the essence of kimi no na wa. I will 100% buy this.
Lanes

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 19:38:27 »
I really love the look of this. I'd be in for a set.

Offline Helpingly

• Hiya! I'm Helpingly
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 15:05:17 »
Oh wow, I'm gonna be honest, I don't like colorful keysets and this set is no exception. However, based off the theme alone and the execution, I think i'm in. The fact that you're deciding to go with PBT helps a lot as well.

Offline KPanzermast

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 23:10:49 »
I think there should be more red than blue (assuming you're going off of the kumihimo), but it definitely looks great. Put me down for one!

Tenki no Ko when

Offline Lazesummerstone

• ҠѤӋϚΔΡѕ
    • MY Keycap set - Transmutation
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 13:16:30 »
This is the keycap set I'm looking forward to most! I hope the wait isn't too much longer!
Also the little previews of what Zeus Cables is working on looks really like a perfect combo for this set!

Offline synthtastic

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 21:11:55 »
Man I'm looking forward to this set...That cable collab is gonna be bonkers!!!!!
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 June 2020, 21:16:13 by synthtastic »

Offline 2639

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 03:05:25 »
This set looks gorgeous! Would definitely like to see a render on Rama Work's ouro Zenith...wonder how the colors will interact.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 June 2020, 03:19:23 by 2639 »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 03:08:50 »
Any progress on some of the changes suggested in this thread?

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
    • Ashkeebs Lubing Service & Shop
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 14:39:09 »
Oh hot dang this is awesome, count me in!

Offline Milehammer

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 21:52:11 »
My love for this movie / sheer number of collabs (that cable looks amazing) / and that this set looks gorgeous just means that no matter what I'll be spending so much money  ;D Count me in!

Offline ertisan

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 22:08:58 »

It's a tough call especially since you can really only have one or the other in the base kit.

I kinda like it.. i hope the default set comes with the weeb alphas tho

This has been a big part of feedback.

So many artisans collaborators. Does that mean we are expecting multiple artisans for this kit?

Yes. each artisan collab will be doing their own artisan for the kit.

just told myself i was done with the last set i bought but, i guess not! (isn’t that always the case). just filled out the ic really looking forward to this set!

Always happy to hear more people are excited about the set!

The novelties is actually the last set I'm working on right now just to see what I can do there.

This. The set's aesthetic is already busy due to the different colors, so it could do without the added visual clutter that sublegends bring.

Should the hiragana end up in the base kit, latin alphas would be offered on the side and vice versa.

I see that ZeusCables collab! So excited ;) Filled out the new form, I think that Hiragana sublegends fit really well with some of the artisans in a way that Latin alphas don't.

Zeus is doing a great job!

Can we have a spam musubi novelty? Pretty please.

I'm actually surprised and definitely amused by how many people want this to happen.

The runner mentioned on the previous page that he would address this. If the right column keys are changed to yellow, then it should be good.

This has been addressed in the final kits.

YES YES AND YES. I need you to make this so I can buy two sets, one for me and one for my boyfriend so we can have matching keyboards with the essence of kimi no na wa. I will 100% buy this.

:) it's a great movie!

I will definitely try to buy all kits!

I hope you succeed in buying all the kits! Much appreciated.

This might be a long shot, but could there be icon mods?

Unfortunately it seems most people wanted font+icon for the mods so that will be what is in the final kits.

I really love the look of this. I'd be in for a set.

Thank you for the support.

I think there should be more red than blue (assuming you're going off of the kumihimo), but it definitely looks great. Put me down for one!

Tenki no Ko when

Tenki no Ko... haha we'll see. It's def on my mind but I think for next set, it won't be anime themed.

Man I'm looking forward to this set...That cable collab is gonna be bonkers!!!!!

Zeus has done something work

My love for this movie / sheer number of collabs (that cable looks amazing) / and that this set looks gorgeous just means that no matter what I'll be spending so much money  ;D Count me in!

I'm glad you're excited!

Oh hot dang this is awesome, count me in!

Thank you!

Oh wow, I'm gonna be honest, I don't like colorful keysets and this set is no exception. However, based off the theme alone and the execution, I think i'm in. The fact that you're deciding to go with PBT helps a lot as well.

PBT was something I was definitely driving for.

This is the keycap set I'm looking forward to most! I hope the wait isn't too much longer!
Also the little previews of what Zeus Cables is working on looks really like a perfect combo for this set!

Zeus has done a great job with the braided cable! I know I'll be picking that up.

This set looks gorgeous! Would definitely like to see a render on Rama Work's ouro Zenith...wonder how the colors will interact.

If I can find the file for the board, I can do a mockup render.

Any progress on some of the changes suggested in this thread?

There will be an update soon. Currently getting samples from the factory. The final kits have been created based on google feedback forms and I plan on posting those up with the samples. There are quite a few changes and unfortunately some of those changes will be dealbreakers for people but for the most part I went with the majority of what feedback said in the google forms. The final kits will be final with the exception of any glaring big issues that pop up (e.g. missing a commonly used key) but hopefully this shouldn't be the case.

Offline shiroshiro

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 12:38:18 »
I can't wait for more update. I am definitely in for this one. So beautiful

Offline Chungle

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 22:50:58 »
Just popping in to say I'm definitely in on this. Basing my Primus colors to match so I need the set lmao. Also, a vote for hiragana only for the base kit alphas from me :D

Offline whisperingeye

• Found my new hobby... kbd
    • GitHub
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 20:14:41 »
My first post on GeekHack. I hope this will be my first group buy purchase!

Offline ertisan

I can't wait for more update. I am definitely in for this one. So beautiful

Updates!!!

My first post on GeekHack. I hope this will be my first group buy purchase!

Thank you for the support!

Just popping in to say I'm definitely in on this. Basing my Primus colors to match so I need the set lmao. Also, a vote for hiragana only for the base kit alphas from me :D

Primus has been the hot topic as of late in the discord channels I'm in. Hopefully you enjoy the kits!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
Updates!!!

I've been following this set along, great to see it finally get an update!

I took a look at the updated kits. Some remarks/suggestions:
  • Alpha-colored Enter and Esc “accents” — Have you tried rendering a board with these? This never turns out good, imo. Having accents the same color as alpha keys kind of defeats the purpose of accents. It would be better to include regular mod-colored (blue) Enter and Esc keys instead.

Here's a mockup of what I mean:

At least to me, that looks off. Consider removing all of the white accents from the set, or replacing them with regular mod-colored (blue) keys, where applicable.

• There are some issues with the hiragana sublegends:
    • The R3 #~ ISO key should have a む sublegend. Change this key to #~む.
    • The R4 \|む ISO key should have a ろ sublegend. Change this key to \|ろ. This and the above key are required for correct ISO/JIS support.
    • You included quaternary (top-right) sublegends on the punctuation keys (「, 」, 、, 。, ・) but then omitted all of the more important quaternary sublegends on the number row, E and Z keys. This does not make sense; you should either include all of the sublegends or none of them.
    • Please refer to these guides: with quaternary, tertiary-only, and take a look at GMK Bentō R2's Traditional kit for an example of proper hiragana sublegend execution.
  • Hiragana issues in the Add-On kit:
    • The R1 `¬ろ UK key should not have a ろ sublegend — in a correct hiragana kit, this sublegend is already included on the R4 \|ろ key, so having it on the backtick key would result in a duplicate. Change this key to (remove the sublegend).
    • The R3 '@ UK key that replaces '"け is missing its け sublegend. Without it, you would be left with a hole in the sublegends. Change this key to '@け.
    • A white R1 1u `~ー key should be included in the Add-On kit in order to allow correct JIS support. See how GMK Mecha-01 did it (that set uses katakana, but the key in question is exactly the same). By the way, ー is a Japanese character, not a dash.
    • Again, for more details an all of these suggestions, refer to the guides I linked above.

• Errors in key color:
    • This R4 1u Fn key needs to be blue in order to be usable with R4 1.75u Shift on ≥60% boards:

• Some useless keys that can be removed or moved from Base to Add-On:
    • Second R4 1u Ctrl in Base. Not used on any modern ≥60% keyboards, and most recent sets don't include it. Can be moved to the Add-On kit since it's useful for some ortho boards.
    • Yellow R2 1u = in Base. How would you use this key? It would go right in the middle of − and +, which doesn't make sense. Either remove it, or move it down to R3 and add a R2 1u + key so that you can have, from top to bottom: −, +, =, Enter. I would recommend the former option (removing it).
    • 1.5u Option keys in Add-On. Mac users don't use 1.5u Option keys, only 1.5u Command. Also, seeing as “Option” and “Alt” are synonymous, and 1.5u Alt keys already are included in the Base kit, there is no need for these. Removing 1.5u Option would save you 4 keys.
    • Yellow arrow keys in Add-On. Yellow arrow keys are already included in Base, you don't need a second set of them in Add-On.
    • R4 1u Fn keys in Color. Once the erroneous second yellow 1u Fn in Base is changed to blue, these keys will be duplicates and will no longer be needed (2× 1u Fn isn't used by any common boards).

• Missing keys that should be added:
    • R3 1.75u Function in Add-On. This key is a Caps Lock alternative, just like R3 1.75u Control, which is useful on many different boards for people who like to put Fn there. See how Infinikey Tidal did it.
    • Second R4 2u space in Add-On. This key is for ortho users, used on keyboards such as: Planck, Preonic, Boardwalk, Iris, Levinson, etc.
    • R1 1u Backspace in Add-On. This key is required for ortho boards with a number row (such as Preonic, Iris), as well as for JIS, and also some people like to use it on various ≥60% layouts.

• Other suggestions:
    • Replace R3 #~, R4 \| ISO legends with the more useful R3 \|, R4 <> (explanation, justification w/ data). See how Infinikey Tidal did it (pay attention to ISO keys in Base and UK keys in Add-On).
    • Optionally, change Prt Sc to Print, Scroll↲Lock to Scroll, Num↲Lock to Num, and Caps↲Lock to Caps for a more uniform look across the set with all single-line legends.

A few other things came to mind, but I omitted them as this post was already getting quite long.

Edit: clarification, grammar
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 July 2020, 05:08:13 by konstantin »

Offline synthtastic

!!!!!!!! Glad to finally have a GB date! This is gonna be amazing!

Offline Kahgen

GF loves the set, real nice and colorful!

Offline whisperingeye

• Found my new hobby... kbd
    • GitHub
I came across this set because I am obsessed with musubi, the spam and rice wrapped in a sheet of nori https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_musubi. Thanks to you, ertisan, I have now watched Kimi no Na Wa and am now familiar with the movie because of your key cap design! THANK YOU for including the actual spam musubi in the Novelty set!

So in watching the movie for the first time, I noticed that the bracelet Taki is wearing has a unique pattern, shown below:

• Is it too late to change or add another USB cable featuring this design?

Also, is it possible to include more musubi (the food?) in blue keys?

Also, again, thank you again for getting this started I'm confident that it will sell through!

Offline ertisan

Updates!!!

I've been following this set along, great to see it finally get an update!

I took a look at the updated kits. Some remarks/suggestions:
  • Alpha-colored Enter and Esc “accents” — Have you tried rendering a board with these? This never turns out good, imo. Having accents the same color as alpha keys kind of defeats the purpose of accents. It would be better to include regular mod-colored (blue) Enter and Esc keys instead.

Here's a mockup of what I mean:

Show Image

At least to me, that looks off. Consider removing all of the white accents from the set, or replacing them with regular mod-colored (blue) keys, where applicable.

• There are some issues with the hiragana sublegends:
    • The R3 #~ ISO key should have a む sublegend. Change this key to #~む.
    • The R4 \|む ISO key should have a ろ sublegend. Change this key to \|ろ. This and the above key are required for correct ISO/JIS support.
    • You included quaternary (top-right) sublegends on the punctuation keys (「, 」, 、, 。, ・) but then omitted all of the more important quaternary sublegends on the number row, E and Z keys. This does not make sense; you should either include all of the sublegends or none of them.
    • Please refer to these guides: with quaternary, tertiary-only, and take a look at GMK Bentō R2's Traditional kit for an example of proper hiragana sublegend execution.
  • Hiragana issues in the Add-On kit:
    • The R1 `¬ろ UK key should not have a ろ sublegend — in a correct hiragana kit, this sublegend is already included on the R4 \|ろ key, so having it on the backtick key would result in a duplicate. Change this key to (remove the sublegend).
    • The R3 '@ UK key that replaces '"け is missing its け sublegend. Without it, you would be left with a hole in the sublegends. Change this key to '@け.
    • A white R1 1u `~ー key should be included in the Add-On kit in order to allow correct JIS support. See how GMK Mecha-01 did it (that set uses katakana, but the key in question is exactly the same). By the way, ー is a Japanese character, not a dash.
    • Again, for more details an all of these suggestions, refer to the guides I linked above.

• Errors in key color:
    • This R4 1u Fn key needs to be blue in order to be usable with R4 1.75u Shift on ≥60% boards:
      Show Image

• Some useless keys that can be removed or moved from Base to Add-On:
    • Second R4 1u Ctrl in Base. Not used on any modern ≥60% keyboards, and most recent sets don't include it. Can be moved to the Add-On kit since it's useful for some ortho boards.
    • Yellow R2 1u = in Base. How would you use this key? It would go right in the middle of − and +, which doesn't make sense. Either remove it, or move it down to R3 and add a R2 1u + key so that you can have, from top to bottom: −, +, =, Enter. I would recommend the former option (removing it).
    • 1.5u Option keys in Add-On. Mac users don't use 1.5u Option keys, only 1.5u Command. Also, seeing as “Option” and “Alt” are synonymous, and 1.5u Alt keys already are included in the Base kit, there is no need for these. Removing 1.5u Option would save you 4 keys.
    • Yellow arrow keys in Add-On. Yellow arrow keys are already included in Base, you don't need a second set of them in Add-On.
    • R4 1u Fn keys in Color. Once the erroneous second yellow 1u Fn in Base is changed to blue, these keys will be duplicates and will no longer be needed (2× 1u Fn isn't used by any common boards).

• Missing keys that should be added:
    • R3 1.75u Function in Add-On. This key is a Caps Lock alternative, just like R3 1.75u Control, which is useful on many different boards for people who like to put Fn there. See how Infinikey Tidal did it.
    • Second R4 2u space in Add-On. This key is for ortho users, used on keyboards such as: Planck, Preonic, Boardwalk, Iris, Levinson, etc.
    • R1 1u Backspace in Add-On. This key is required for ortho boards with a number row (such as Preonic, Iris), as well as for JIS, and also some people like to use it on various ≥60% layouts.

• Other suggestions:
    • Replace R3 #~, R4 \| ISO legends with the more useful R3 \|, R4 <> (explanation, justification w/ data). See how Infinikey Tidal did it (pay attention to ISO keys in Base and UK keys in Add-On).
    • Optionally, change Prt Sc to Print, Scroll↲Lock to Scroll, Num↲Lock to Num, and Caps↲Lock to Caps for a more uniform look across the set with all single-line legends.

A few other things came to mind, but I omitted them as this post was already getting quite long.

Edit: clarification, grammar

First, A huge thank you. I'm super thankful to be able to receive constructive feedback that helps make the set the best it can be. It's extremely helpful and I want to make the time you put into crafting such a good response worth it.

I've fixed a lot of the things you brought up and will update soon. Certain changes that are base on preferences have stayed. I do like the white mods in the base so those will stay in. If it was an overwhelming majority of keys, I might have removed them but it's effectively 2 - 4 keys which doesn't affect the PBT pricing much and gives users more options. I've made the necessary changes to support JIS. The arrow keys in the add on have been removed as I completely forgot I had the exact R4 keys in both blue and yellow in the base already. I removed the = in R3 (it was mainly there because I've seen it in other sets but i was never sure why. I had it in to be better safe than sorry). I've also added small things like the R1 1u delete keys, R3 1.75u function keys, and another 2u red spacebar. Prt Sc is now Print however the locks will return their current phrasing. Scroll Lock and Num Lock respectively.

GF loves the set, real nice and colorful!

Thank you!

I came across this set because I am obsessed with musubi, the spam and rice wrapped in a sheet of nori https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_musubi. Thanks to you, ertisan, I have now watched Kimi no Na Wa and am now familiar with the movie because of your key cap design! THANK YOU for including the actual spam musubi in the Novelty set!

So in watching the movie for the first time, I noticed that the bracelet Taki is wearing has a unique pattern, shown below:
Show Image

• Is it too late to change or add another USB cable featuring this design?

Also, is it possible to include more musubi (the food?) in blue keys?

Also, again, thank you again for getting this started I'm confident that it will sell through!

Always happy to introduce people to the art of Makoto Shinkai. I hope you enjoyed the movie! I can't promise there will be a blue version of the spam musubi novelty but I'll see what I can do. As for the bracelet, a cable version based off the braided cord in the movie (the one in your picture) is already currently in development! It's not ready yet and again I can't make any promises because I'm not making the cable myself, but I do expect it to be made!

!!!!!!!! Glad to finally have a GB date! This is gonna be amazing!

I'm super excited haha. It's a lot of work but honestly it's been an experience seeing it slowly happen.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 July 2020, 01:59:24 by ertisan »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
First, A huge thank you. I'm super thankful to be able to receive constructive feedback that helps make the set the best it can be. It's extremely helpful and I want to make the time you put into crafting such a good response worth it.

I've fixed a lot of the things you brought up and will update soon. Certain changes that are base on preferences have stayed. I do like the white mods in the base so those will stay in. If it was an overwhelming majority of keys, I might have removed them but it's effectively 2 - 4 keys which doesn't affect the PBT pricing much and gives users more options. I've made the necessary changes to support JIS. The arrow keys in the add on have been removed as I completely forgot I had the exact R4 keys in both blue and yellow in the base already. I removed the = in R3 (it was mainly there because I've seen it in other sets but i was never sure why. I had it in to be better safe than sorry). I've also added small things like the R1 1u delete keys, R3 1.75u function keys, and another 2u red spacebar. Prt Sc is now Print however the locks will return their current phrasing. Scroll Lock and Num Lock respectively.

Great to hear, happy to be able to help :thumb: Thank you for designing such a fun and unique set. Looking forward to the update.

By the way, regarding the white accent keys, have you thought about making them a brighter shade of white than the alphas? I may not like the current setup, but I think one with brighter white accents could look quite good.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 July 2020, 06:38:26 by konstantin »

Offline SpeakingSilence

Definitely keeping an eye on this one. Great colors, love the novelties.

Offline ertisan

Definitely keeping an eye on this one. Great colors, love the novelties.

I'm really happy the novelties seem to be a big hit with people. There was a lot of thought put into each design.

Great to hear, happy to be able to help :thumb: Thank you for designing such a fun and unique set. Looking forward to the update.

By the way, regarding the white accent keys, have you thought about making them a brighter shade of white than the alphas? I may not like the current setup, but I think one with brighter white accents could look quite good.

I gave making it brighter a shot but I really do like having it match the alphas as an option. Also, kits have been updated! Should be the final versions.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
I gave making it brighter a shot but I really do like having it match the alphas as an option. Also, kits have been updated! Should be the final versions.

Alright, can't argue with that :)

Hiragana support looks spot on now, good job. I would just like to draw your attention to one detail, that being the を sublegend on the 0(わを key. This sublegend is supposed to be the same size as the わ sublegend below it (i.e. regular size), unlike the sublegends to its left which are smaller versions of other kana (ぁ, ぇ, ょ etc. vs を).

Also, since you chose to go with \| and <> for the ISO keys in the Base kit (this is nice to see), the UK support in the Add-On kit will need to be updated:
  • Change R3 \|む to #~む (since the former is now already present in the base kit)
  • Add R4 \|ろ
This will make the UK support in Add-On self-contained and complete.

Looking good otherwise :thumb:

« Last Edit: Wed, 22 July 2020, 17:36:23 by konstantin »

Offline JPublick

Ya lost me with the hiragana... Was looking forward to this set but it already has 4 colours with coloured text, adding subtext is just garish... Seems like an extra but I guess I got outvoted...
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 July 2020, 22:06:25 by JPublick »

Offline ertisan

Alright, can't argue with that :)

Hiragana support looks spot on now, good job. I would just like to draw your attention to one detail, that being the を sublegend on the 0(わを key. This sublegend is supposed to be the same size as the わ sublegend below it (i.e. regular size), unlike the sublegends to its left which are smaller versions of other kana (ぁ, ぇ, ょ etc. vs を).

Also, since you chose to go with \| and <> for the ISO keys in the Base kit (this is nice to see), the UK support in the Add-On kit will need to be updated:
  • Change R3 \|む to #~む (since the former is now already present in the base kit)
  • Add R4 \|ろ
This will make the UK support in Add-On self-contained and complete.

Looking good otherwise :thumb:

Thanks for the heads up on the UK support and the overall feedback! Just a quick question, but wouldn't I also need to add
  • R3 #~
  • R4 \|
to the add-on to support UK latin?

Can't wait to get this set in people's hands and my own haha.

Ya lost me with the hiragana... Was looking forward to this set but it already has 4 colours with coloured text, adding subtext is just garish... Seems like an extra but I guess I got outvoted...

Yea this was something I heavily considered with the feedback. I had already known that either way I went people would lose interest in purchasing the set so I went with the majority which was Japanese in the base set. Unrelated but I think this is something that I see as a huge benefit of KAT sets which is the ability to mix and match different mini-sets so people can ultimately get exactly the customization they want.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 July 2020, 22:27:37 by ertisan »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
Thanks for the heads up on the UK support and the overall feedback! Just a quick question, but wouldn't I also need to add
  • R3 #~
  • R4 \|

Correct, those two keys will also need to be added, but to the Latin kit, not Add-On.

Offline ertisan

• R3 #~
  • R4 \|

Correct, those two keys will also need to be added, but to the Latin kit, not Add-On.

And that should do it!

Offline Eagle Bearer

You sold me on the inclusion of Hiragana on the base set! This is heavily inspired by Japanese themes so it really should be included in the base. Good thing the majority of people thought so either.

Offline ertisan

You sold me on the inclusion of Hiragana on the base set! This is heavily inspired by Japanese themes so it really should be included in the base. Good thing the majority of people thought so either.

Glad I was able to get you onboard!

Re: [IC] PBT musubi. 7/27/20 UPDATE
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 06:45:13 »
this is a beautiful set, love the inspiration story and the renders!
though a question, which font will the set be using---the one in the first picture, or the keyboard renders?

Offline ertisan

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 08:20:23 »
this is a beautiful set, love the inspiration story and the renders!
though a question, which font will the set be using---the one in the first picture, or the keyboard renders?

Thank you! To answer your question, the set uses the font in the kits. The keyboard pics are old renders.

Offline Sounr

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 12:23:14 »
Would it be possible to add a JIS add on kit for hiragana sublegends with some modifiers?

Like this:

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/5a3c5e9139ed86f384b86d3f9056269e

Offline TeclisFtw

« Reply #100 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 13:42:47 »
Hello,

I want to say I created an account just after I saw this IC, I've been lurking for a while but never decided on creating an account.

The set is beautiful!!! It's what I've been looking for in PBT, and when I read what it was based off ... well, just fell in love, it's my favorite anime film, ever.

In the IC survey I said I'd like to see a minimalist deskmat.... but I'd like one based off the anime too. Heck, I'm gonna buy both of them.

Im so in for this GB!!!! Best of luck and thank you for making this!!

PS: This will also be my 1st custom keyboard, and I'm so looking forward to it.

Offline TalksToChalk

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 20:24:45 »
Curious why alphas can't be in their stand alone kit like some GMK sets do it. Is this some restriction from Infinikey?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 05:03:06 »
Curious why alphas can't be in their stand alone kit like some GMK sets do it. Is this some restriction from Infinikey?

Alphas are always included in the base kit with GMK sets. Standalone kits are sometimes used for alternative alpha options, which is what this set does as well.

Offline cojojo11

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 01:36:34 »
Can anyone tell me what the writing on the keys in the novelties kit translate too? I cant remember them from the film

Offline KPanzermast

« Reply #104 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 02:04:36 »
Can anyone tell me what the writing on the keys in the novelties kit translate too? I cant remember them from the film

結び (むすび/musubi) Not sure what the proper translation is, but the feeling of oneness that the grandmother explained on the way to the mountain shrine.
すきだ(suki da) "I like you"
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 August 2020, 02:06:26 by KPanzermast »

Offline NIK0

• yare yare daze
« Reply #105 on: Fri, 07 August 2020, 14:12:25 »
This. THIS is the lone post that finally got me to join Geekhack, I just can't get over how much I love the renders for these keycaps!! I love primary colors and Japanese themes, and by the time had I scrolled to the Novelties (likely overall my favorite novelties kit I've ever seen!!) I just kinda sighed, having finally resigned to joining another forum site... mainly so I could tell you how much I ADORE this set. OP! '
100% will buy multiple sets from this series, fingers crossed so hard that this one goes smoothly with this GB!
⋆ novice keycap enthusiast ⋆
@NIKO#9293

forever seeking GMK Vaporwave base + kana sets

Offline ertisan

« Reply #106 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 00:53:41 »
Would it be possible to add a JIS add on kit for hiragana sublegends with some modifiers?

Like this:

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/5a3c5e9139ed86f384b86d3f9056269e

Unfortunately, making new kits that will feasibly hit MoQ is pretty hard unless you're looking at Kat which lets people do all kinds of kits since their MoQ is an overall count of all kits. As it is, the color kit is getting the axe due to it not likely being able to reach MoQ based on surveys. That will announced shortly along with deskmat designs.

This. THIS is the lone post that finally got me to join Geekhack, I just can't get over how much I love the renders for these keycaps!! I love primary colors and Japanese themes, and by the time had I scrolled to the Novelties (likely overall my favorite novelties kit I've ever seen!!) I just kinda sighed, having finally resigned to joining another forum site... mainly so I could tell you how much I ADORE this set. OP! '
100% will buy multiple sets from this series, fingers crossed so hard that this one goes smoothly with this GB!

Thank you for the kind words! It's been a quite a journey from ideation to now but seeing people resonate with the set makes me really thankful.

Hello,

I want to say I created an account just after I saw this IC, I've been lurking for a while but never decided on creating an account.

The set is beautiful!!! It's what I've been looking for in PBT, and when I read what it was based off ... well, just fell in love, it's my favorite anime film, ever.

In the IC survey I said I'd like to see a minimalist deskmat.... but I'd like one based off the anime too. Heck, I'm gonna buy both of them.

Im so in for this GB!!!! Best of luck and thank you for making this!!

PS: This will also be my 1st custom keyboard, and I'm so looking forward to it.

Deskmat designs will be up real soon! There will actually be 2 minimal pattern deskmats and one anime themed one (still quite minimal). I'm so glad you're looking forward to the set! Means a lot to me.

Offline FernQuan

« Reply #107 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 16:13:18 »
I'm a bit disappointed that the spacebars are included in the Mega Add-on set, because the price it along with the Base + Novelties + cable and potentially a deskmat makes the cost too steep for me
I need the red 2.75u and 2.25u spacebars for the GK68XS

But of course this won't stop me from buying the other kits on this awesome set.

Offline ertisan

« Reply #108 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 02:48:27 »
I'm a bit disappointed that the spacebars are included in the Mega Add-on set, because the price it along with the Base + Novelties + cable and potentially a deskmat makes the cost too steep for me
I need the red 2.75u and 2.25u spacebars for the GK68XS

But of course this won't stop me from buying the other kits on this awesome set.

Unfortunately, TKC likes to have their kits done a specific way. They include the spacebars with the Mega Add-on. The Mega Add-on has gotten slightly smaller due to the extra color kit being axed. Hopefully the price point is a little more appealing now. Either way, thank you for the support!

Offline JayVoltage

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 04:08:49 »
extra color kit being axed.

awww is there a way to add an orange standard backspace to the add-on kit? was hoping to I could split the colours left and right sides of the board

Offline JayVoltage

« Reply #110 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 04:15:30 »
extra color kit being axed.

awww is there a way to add an orange standard backspace to the add-on kit? was hoping to I could split the colours left and right sides of the board
Oops just read again that kits are finalized - all good.  Love your work!

Offline TeclisFtw

Re: [IC] PBT musubi. 8/14/20 Deskmats and Small Kits Upate
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 13:40:41 »
Hi again,

Maybe I missed it, but do we know what profile the keycaps are?

For what I've seen from other Inifnikey sets, they're Cherry profile. But I don't know if this is Cherry or OEM profile.

Thanks in advance!

Teclis

Offline ertisan

Re: [IC] PBT musubi. 8/14/20 Deskmats and Small Kits Upate
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 16:24:18 »
Hi again,

Maybe I missed it, but do we know what profile the keycaps are?

For what I've seen from other Inifnikey sets, they're Cherry profile. But I don't know if this is Cherry or OEM profile.

Thanks in advance!

Teclis

Hey! Thanks for the interest in the set. These are Cherry profile!

Offline chronobolt

Re: [IC] PBT musubi. 8/18/20 Small board render update
« Reply #113 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 11:25:30 »
Just wanted to say thank you OP for this set, the movie really means a lot to me and this keycap set definitely does it justice. Cannot even tell you how long I was scouring the IC page for a nice and colorful PBT set, not to mention how quickly I signed up to be notified about this set lol. This set is almost definitely going on my endgame! Beautiful job OP, looking forward to your future work!

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 10:26:14 »
This group buy starts August 28, right?  Asking because the OP also says September 4.

Updates.
8/14/20

.  .  .  .  .
Group Buy.
Launch Date
September 4th

Offline ertisan

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 15:27:23 »
Just wanted to say thank you OP for this set, the movie really means a lot to me and this keycap set definitely does it justice. Cannot even tell you how long I was scouring the IC page for a nice and colorful PBT set, not to mention how quickly I signed up to be notified about this set lol. This set is almost definitely going on my endgame! Beautiful job OP, looking forward to your future work!

Thank you! It definitely means a lot to hear people are excited for the set! I'm hoping to get through the GB without a hitch and then I'll start thinking about next projects. Might try something less colorful to switch it up.

This group buy starts August 28, right?  Asking because the OP also says September 4.

Updates.
8/14/20

.  .  .  .  .
Group Buy.
Launch Date
September 4th

Thank you for pointing that out. I forgot to update the Date! It should be correct now. The GB starts Aug 28th @ 6PM ET and runs until Sept 11th

Offline lemmebuildthings

• Why did I get into this god forsaken hobby
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 08:59:03 »
**** the Deku last month and then Musubi this month, christ what is it with these fantastic keysets being dropped back to back.

Really love the design of this keycap set! The colour palette is super pleasin, the novelties look dope, and the mega add-on has virtually everything you would need for a non-standard keyboard set-up. Fantastic work! I look forward to the group buy!

Offline ertisan

« Reply #117 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 14:51:39 »
**** the Deku last month and then Musubi this month, christ what is it with these fantastic keysets being dropped back to back.

Really love the design of this keycap set! The colour palette is super pleasin, the novelties look dope, and the mega add-on has virtually everything you would need for a non-standard keyboard set-up. Fantastic work! I look forward to the group buy!

Thank you for the kind words! I'm pretty excited to see the set start GB!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #118 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 17:14:16 »
Took a look at the kits again after the latest update. I have to applaud this set for the great kitting — other Infinikey sets should take note!

Offline TalksToChalk

« Reply #119 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 18:17:56 »
Colors kit got the axe?

Offline ertisan

« Reply #120 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 18:20:16 »
Colors kit got the axe?

Unfortunately yes. Based on the survey there was just not enough interest in it.

Took a look at the kits again after the latest update. I have to applaud this set for the great kitting — other Infinikey sets should take note!

A lot of that is thanks to you! Your input was extremely helpful throughout the IC period of the set!

Offline TeclisFtw

« Reply #121 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 20:23:21 »
Hello,

The EU vendor does not show the product on his page.

Could you please confirm it should be displayed there?

Thank you!

Offline kimhoon9

« Reply #122 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 01:10:36 »
Hello, just wanted to say that I'm really interested to join this as my first ever group buy in this hobby. Still waiting for the other vendor links to go up, wishing this GB a great success!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline ertisan

« Reply #123 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 01:37:29 »
Hello, just wanted to say that I'm really interested to join this as my first ever group buy in this hobby. Still waiting for the other vendor links to go up, wishing this GB a great success!  ;D ;D ;D

Thank you! I'm really happy with how many people have told me this is their first set! It means a lot to me. Hoping to have everyone's continued support!

Hello,

The EU vendor does not show the product on his page.

Could you please confirm it should be displayed there?

Thank you!

It looks like the Asia and EU proxies have not updated their store fronts. I'll keep an eye on it but most likely they should be up soon.

Offline Se7enFiveOne

« Reply #124 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 02:57:47 »
This is my first time joining a GB. Is it normal for the pricing on the proxy sites to be higher? On zfrontier, the base kit is $99 and the novelties are $43

Offline ertisan

« Reply #125 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 03:09:28 »
This is my first time joining a GB. Is it normal for the pricing on the proxy sites to be higher? On zfrontier, the base kit is $99 and the novelties are $43

Unfortunately, Im not too familiar with how each vendor arrives at their price points. There could be some difference in logistics or operating cost for the different regions that translates to higher costs for proxies.

Offline kimhoon9

« Reply #126 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 03:13:49 »
Just wondering, will there be another GB thread opened or will updates be still posted here?

Offline ertisan

« Reply #127 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 03:36:23 »
Just wondering, will there be another GB thread opened or will updates be still posted here?

There is currently a group buy thread waiting for moderator approval. Once that goes through, the thread will be visible. Until then, I’ll be answering questions people have here.

Offline kimhoon9

« Reply #128 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 03:39:59 »

There is currently a group buy thread waiting for moderator approval. Once that goes through, the thread will be visible. Until then, I’ll be answering questions people have here.
Alrighty, thanks ertisan!