Author Topic: [IC] Vanana: Bluetooth MCU-ready non-split ergonomic keyboard  (Read 3404 times)

Offline anoclew

[IC] Vanana: Bluetooth MCU-ready non-split ergonomic keyboard
« on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 11:54:59 »
[IC] Vanana: Bluetooth MCU-ready non-split ergonomic keyboard

Hello keeb geeks!,

Here I came with another non-split ergo keyboard, Vanana, and I'd like to see if you guys are interested in it and how you think about it!

If you become interested in Vanana after reading this post, please help me out by filling up the IC form, so that I can better know what Vanana you like to have.

[IC FORM](https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdFzAeEzjKR_qfoRPIpjFNHrru1PirfYS2pFRq9tIFe1C0SFQ/viewform?usp=sf_link)

[Final Vanana Design](https://imgur.com/a/Dg4MlEr)

The prototype photo will be up soon.

**Short 'why another?' question:**

I wanted to have an ergo keyboard that has:

- Circuitry for an easy Bluetooth setup
- Pronounced pinky column stagger

- All Alt, Ctrl, GUI on the bottom row
- At least 1.25u layer switching keys
- At least 1.25u spacebar
- Non-split for portability and easier BT charging
- Easy thumb access to the bottom row
- Rotary encoder support

I tried nine ergo keyboards so far, and they were all awesome, and Atreus62 was the closest to my preference. However, they still missed a few of my personal preferences. So, Vanana came here.

**Board specs:**

- MCU: Promicro compatibles, nRF52 BT boards like nice!nano and BlueMicro.
- The thumb cluster supports 2x 1.25u, 2x 1.5u, and 1x 3u spacebar.
- Pinouts for BT chips (onboard battery pinout, Power switches pinout, RGB underglow switch pinout to cut off a quiescent current draw in BT mode).
- RGB underglow
- Rotary encoder support up to two (at the middle key positions) with Elite-C or Nice!nano
- All the diodes, resistors and RGB LEDs are SMT pre-soldered. You only need to put your switches, or Mill Max 0305 preferably, and MCU.

**Confirmed GB specs:**

- Buying options are a plate kit and a 3D printed case kit.

- PCB color is green.

- Included hardware

- 24 standoff, 12 screws, 12 nuts, 12 washers
  - Switch hole cap x 2
  - 7-degree feet (not included in the plate-case kit)
  - 1 x EC11 rotary encoder
  - Right angle header
  - Dupont cable
  - 2 x case-mounting slide switch (will be replaced with small SMT slide switches in the plate-case kit. Not pre-soldered)
  - Rubber feet

- QMK and ZMK firmware will be uploaded to my GITHUB repo. I will push the QMK firmware to the official repo after GB ends.

- Color options for a 3D printed case depend on IC responses, but I will limit them to three or four.

**Updates**:

- I will post a 3D printed case prototype next week. Now I am scared.

- The FR4 plate case will be in a conventional sandwich-style. It will look like [this](https://www.reddit.com/r/olkb/comments/k295y6/waaffle_a_convertible_bluetooth_6080_ortholinear/), without the extended are supporting a middleware.

- I was looking for a 3D printing manufacturer who can handle the logistics, but it was not successful, and even finding a suitable manufacturer was not easy due to the holiday season schedule. Now I am processing test print with three manufacturers.

- I usually do not include hardware for DIY kit because it varies according to different configurations, but given the feedback, I decided to source and include all the hardware required to make a standard build in the kit.

- At the moment, the major challenge is 3D printing logistics. I am doing sample prints with some manufacturers, and it turned out that the manufacturing price is more expensive than I thought, and it took 16 hours to print one case with a spec that I want. Because this is my first GB project, and I have to handle it all in my spare time, I think the maximum quantity for 3D print kits will be pretty small as around 10 to 20 due to my limited handling and QC capability.

- Major changes in case design parts selection. I first intended to use the simplest assembly configuration, but I decided to go with my favorite setup which needs a bit more of hardware components.

- After having talked to manufacturers and with some changes in configuration, the expected price increased, and I am trying to harness it below 100 USD.

Any feedback/suggestions will be greatly appreciated, and If you have more questions, please post a reply below.

Stay safe and strong!

Offline anoclew

Re: [IC] Vanana: Bluetooth MCU-ready non-split ergonomic keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 11:55:54 »
QnA from the previous IC on Reddit:**

- What is the purpose of the ring on the case?: Sorry, it is confidential. But you may find it pleasant when you bring Vanana around :)

- Rotary Encoders are supported?: Yes. How can I watch Youtube without a rotary encoder??  However, you need Elite-C or Nice!nano because RGB underglow takes the extra pin of Promicro. I may change it depending on IC responses.

- Will you release 3D case models?: Yes, I am thinking to release it after GB ends, but the specific date is not set because I keep changing the design here and there. 

- What is the maximum battery dimension?: Check [here](https://i.imgur.com/Yo6ymUy.jpg). I am using a 45mm x 65mm 1800mh battery, which lasts forever and takes forever to charge.

- Shipping to overseas?: As long as USPS can go there, I do not think there is any problem. I am in the US.

- Hot-swap compatibility?: You can put Mill Max hot-swap sockets. I always build all my keyboards as hot-swappable with Mill Max 0305. The spec of the top spacers was chosen in the consideration of 0305, which is 4mm.

- Choc switch compatibility?: Sorry, too late to change the footprints :(

- How about an acrylic case?: I'd really like to try it. However, making an acrylic case is much more expensive than making a 3D printed one in my area. Let me know if you know a reliable and cost-effective manufacturer.

- Are you married?: No.

- Wood PLA?: Probably yes. However, an extra charge may apply. For example, I paid 55 USD for the wood PLA for [Waaffle](https://imgur.com/gallery/jVPIq0z), and the regular PLA was 41. The exact overcharge depends on the manufacturer that I will choose soon.

- What is your biggest concern?: 3D prints QC and logistics.

Offline ycanales

• keybordist
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 12:47:39 »
Cool design!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline anoclew

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 12:57:00 »