Author Topic: [IC] Window - An Artisan Box  (Read 5420 times)

Offline Ustinj

[IC] Window - An Artisan Box
« on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 01:06:30 »
Window - An Artisan Box (ARCHIVED)

This project is no longer being supported - at a bulk cost of ~$180 for an MOQ of 100 units, it didn't seem feasible. The design was too expensive, and would need to be re-designed to be more affordable and accessible. If you liked this project, I highly recommend checking out the Archetype Chronos artisan box - it checks all the boxes that this one did, and even has a cleverly-designed stand that is both elegant and price-efficient!

Thanks to Shannie for supporting my designs and always giving great feedback, and Dandruff for helping me and giving me functional advice on this design.

The Design

For a while now, I have been wanting to make something after a feeling. It's weird and abstract, but it's the sense that I get when I see warm sunlight pouring through a window, with dust suspended in the sunbeams. To me, it gives a really strong feeling of warmth, nostalgia, old books, and comfort. While it's near impossible to actually get that feeling from a keyboard, I figure this would be the best time to whip that idea out - this artisan box will be called Window (because there is literally a window). I was bored one night and was looking at my case - a few thousand dollars worth of resin plastic, but I was storing them in a $15 3D-printed PLA box ... something didn't feel right about that. I decided I'd look into making something nicer to store my plastic in. I wanted to pitch this out there to see who may be interested in something like this.

Picture in my head (artist: arsenixc)
More

While I may be making tweaks and adjustments to the design of the lid (i.e. side profile, curves, radii, etc.) I first wanted to gauge the interest and collect feedback. Would people be willing to fork over the money for an artisan case with these features? My concern is that I am the only one, or there are few people out there who have these caveats with lidded artisan cases. There are a few key questions that I'd like to ask, and have prepared in an IC form:

IC form for feature requests / preferences: https://forms.gle/nBK3Y7U3DrTNjaTc8

Some niche, key design features that I wanted in this case were:

- A lid that slots over the bottom case - simple one-handed opening and closing, as well as being reminiscent of a seamless keyboard (also gives way to the next "feature")
- When opening the box, the walls of the bottom case are low and do not tower over the artisans - slots are on the shallower side @ 5.5 - 6.0mm.
- Replaceable viewing window without glue or friction - possible to have an add-on for a 'domed' viewing window that allows clearance for taller artisans, i.e. commissions, taller sculpts, etc.

The Idea & The Issue

One of the biggest pet peeves I have with my artisan case, apart from being 3D-printed and looking a bit less beautiful than I'd like, is that the walls are much higher than the artisans themselves. This is just a byproduct of a lidded case, as most lids are flat sheets that slot into the bottom case. I didn't like the feeling of putting my fingers so deep into the box to dig out an artisan.

I thought the solution would be simple, but it gave me a bit more of a headache than I'd have wanted. These were the key points that the design revolved around:

1. I wanted low case walls when the lid was removed.
2. I did not want to use glue to secure the window into the lid - felt a bit too permanent and irreplaceable.
3. I did not want the internal walls to be overly distant from the artisans (the most annoying part here..).

To read about the issues I ran into (and an explanation as to why I needed to add an extra midpiece to the design), feel free to expand the following...

More
First thought was to simply have the window screw into the lid from underneath, like top-mounting a keyboard plate. This solved some problems, but caused other problems...

+ I could have low case walls when the lid was removed
+ I didn't have to use glue to secure the acrylic window onto the lid

- There would have to be cutouts / clearance on the internal walls of the lid to accommodate the window's 'mounting points'
- Using 'mounting points' for the window means that the lid could flex when pressed between mounting points. We don't want flex here... if we add more mounting points to kill the flex, we'd have to have more cutouts on the internal walls.
- If we just space the internal walls far enough from the edge of the lid to give a uniform wall (no cutouts), then the internal walls would be distanced from the artisans.

Second thought was to sandwich the acrylic window between the bottom case and the lid, similar to a sandwich-gasket keyboard build. Again, it solved some problems but caused other problems...

+ No glue required to secure the window into the lid.
+ Internal walls aren't distant and 'sucked away' from the artisans, i.e. large overhang from the lid.

- High case walls are required to sandwich the window against the lid.

I really did not want to involve a third piece (to cut costs), but after brainstorming I think it's the best solution for what I'm looking for. There is a midpiece that screws into the lid, sandwiching the window in between. This ticks all the boxes:

+ Low case walls
+ No glue required, lids are easily replaceable if damaged.
+ Internal walls are replaced with the midpiece, which should be indistinguishable from the lid. While assembled, I shouldn't be able to tell there's a midpiece at all.
+ Having a midpiece sandwich the lid around the entire perimeter kills all flex.

Explanation for the midpiece design:

To Be Confirmed / TBD:

- Finalize external lid design to be more fitting to the theme I'm aiming for.
- Due to the screw placement securing the midpiece to the lid, there may be a possibility that magnets placed on the four corners of the bottom case can give the lid magnetic securing! Fingers crossed this works, but that's what the prototype is for... to find out.
- Pricing depends on feedback I receive - number of slots can possibly change over the course of this IC, but I really want to hit a price point in the mid-100s or lower.
- Consider sources for UV-filtering acrylic

IC form: https://forms.gle/nBK3Y7U3DrTNjaTc8
(your feedback / requests will greatly influence the outcome of this project!)
Discord: https://discord.gg/XPEFcn8
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jjw_kb/

A functional prototype has been ordered to test the sandwiched lid design as well as potential magnetic fastening. Please feel free to fill out the IC form if you are interested in such a design.
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 April 2022, 01:17:15 by Ustinj »

Offline yuutsu

• Consumer of Brioche Loaf
    • Desktop Designs
Re: [IC] Window - An Artisan Box
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 01:13:16 »
This looks sick, hope the price tag isn't too high for it being a 4 piece design like this, looking forward to seeing it!
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 August 2021, 01:19:53 by yuutsu »

Offline Space_Case88

• keebs, anime, video games and coffee
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 01:19:46 »
I will pay for this, that is all

Offline novelflyer

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 01:27:44 »
This looks great, hope there is an option for one of 4x3. I'm looking forward to see it! :thumb:

Offline Sissy

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 02:08:52 »
very clean looking box.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 August 2021, 06:08:24 by Sissy »

Offline JRowMe

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 02:30:28 »
Everything you make is right down my alley. Might start jumping in artisan raffles just to fill this thing

Offline Xherion

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 02:58:12 »
I think it's good to include a couple slots for Enter key artisans, at least

Offline dandruff

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 04:26:04 »
I think it's good to include a couple slots for Enter key artisans, at least

I actually disagree with this-ish. I think a majority of the people who do collect artisans don't tend to have any Enter keys (outside of RAMA collecting I guess).

Offline AshF

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 05:14:27 »
Amazing artisan box.
It would be great to have the ability to have the box raised further so it is a truly functional display stand as opposed to one that sits flat on the surface. I would really value such a box and would be a certain buy for me. Also, larger capacity would be nice, gives me something to 'grow' into
Great design

Sent from my ASUS_I003D using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 August 2021, 05:16:40 by AshF »

Offline koolkeebs

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 06:13:51 »
USTINJ this is really cool

Offline o3okevin

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 09:21:21 »
Love the thought process

Offline growler

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 09:26:35 »
Good suggestions here. Done right, this could be something simple, but quite special.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Don't just stare at it ...

Offline seikoholic

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 13:29:34 »
reserved

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Offline IMZO

• Matrix shill, and TKL WKL Lover
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 14:03:36 »
looks interesting, love the design!
If price isnt too shabby, i'll certainly purchase as i plan on trimming down my artisan collection..
More
Current boards: Jane V2 CE , Matrix 1.2og Silver WKL , Matrix 2.0add coating black WKL, Matrix 2.0add WKL Coating yellow, Satisfaction75 R1 Cloud white, Korno65, Bloop65, HHKB Pro 2 white,Lin Whale Pink WKL, Gok 7v White, Gok 7v Black, Orion V3 Silver WKL, Orion V2.5 Red WKL, Geon F1-8x Silver WK, Haus65 BlueGray, Plume65, Vertigo, Frog TKL WKL GreenF13

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 14:05:23 »
Very interesting.

While there is an angle, it is still pretty close to flat on a table and maybe not the best for display purposes.
I am not sure if there could be a way to put the box on a stand to give it a bigger angle for a better display viewing angle.

Also hoping that were will be different color options and hopefully an EU vendor.

Offline growler

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 14:44:58 »
Maybe keep the shallow angle, and include a wedge mount to prop it up further.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Don't just stare at it ...

Offline Evasive

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 15:10:16 »
The case design looks very nice, I can do without the Windows engraving tho.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 17:51:42 »
Damn. This is cool. I've held back on a premium artisan case. This might be it.

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 18 August 2021, 00:28:57 »
haha might as well. Nice Justin. This is pretty rad.
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards