Author Topic: [GB] PURPLE/CLEAR ZEALIO SWITCHES (Complete)  (Read 562183 times)

Offline eyesmiles

Re: [GB] PURPLE/CLEAR ZEALIO SWITCHES (Shipping)
« Reply #850 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 15:26:44 »

Zealios have landed. A small ode to the MX clear for the spacebar. One of my last Cherry MX / MX like switches builds I'll be doing aside from the GH60.

Thank you for your work Zeal! You are a beast as always :thumb:

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #851 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 17:42:45 »
eyesmiles, your left Alt is crooked...

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #852 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 18:16:45 »
eyesmiles, your left Alt is crooked...

Yep, fully aware :)) The switches aren't soldered yet. With the possibilites of the bottom row on the Leeku, the switch just hangs there. I got excited when I got the Zealios and just placed them on the PCB.

« Reply #853 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 19:58:58 »
Got my switches and cable yesterday; thanks again Zeal! :)
Now waiting on my planck to ship from Massdrop for my first Zealios board... it's gonna be a long wait!

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #854 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 00:22:43 »

So, I started by putting the Tai Hao Miami set on my pok3r, but then I realized that the zealios were secure enough in the plate that I could put the Miami set on my new board, to see what it will look like (I don't have any solder or a soldering iron at the moment...) in the process of pulling some of the Miami caps off, we had a few casualties. Oh well...

Anyway, my space bar seems to be sticking without returning all the way to the top. I think that the stabilizer bar has a little bit of a twist in it. Could that be the reason it sticks? (I got yummy gold plated stabs from leandren, by the way, so this board is nice!)

One more thing is that I don't have any lube that I can put on the stabs at the moment, which makes me a little bit sad, but the stabs are clipped, so I can't wait to start using this board!!!

Offline ika

« Reply #855 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 00:28:42 »
I will say that I did not particularly like the feel of the single switches (62 and 67g Zealios). There was more friction than I expected, especially at the bottom of the switch travel. Now that the switches are installed and I'm typing on them, though, they're basically everything I wanted MX brown to be. Slightly heavier than MX brown, but with actual tactility and not "there kind of feels like there's some tactility here???" . The 67g felt even snappier as a single switch but I'm saving those for when my Orion v2 comes in, so that impression will have to wait.

Offline myotherteeshirt

« Reply #856 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 02:29:02 »
Show Image

Zealios have landed. A small ode to the MX clear for the spacebar. One of my last Cherry MX / MX like switches builds I'll be doing aside from the GH60.

Hey there, what keyboard is this?

Offline nyunyu

« Reply #857 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 05:55:33 »
Show Image

Hey there, what keyboard is this?

Cherry G80-1800
http://cherrycorp.com/product/compact-g80-1800-series-keyboards/

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #858 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 08:12:41 »
got mine. bit wobblier than MX. dont have anything to mount them on ATM but curious to see what they're like.

can anyone confirm if all gaterons are this wobbly? is it the slider (slightly smaller) or is it the top housing (seems to have a slightly larger opening)?
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #859 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 11:36:08 »
got mine. bit wobblier than MX. dont have anything to mount them on ATM but curious to see what they're like.

can anyone confirm if all gaterons are this wobbly? is it the slider (slightly smaller) or is it the top housing (seems to have a slightly larger opening)?
http://imgur.com/a/sqQJd

That's a Gateron Brown. Measured at both the sliders and just above the sliders. For the record I'm not starting ****. I prefer a lubed Zealio to my Gateron browns. Just sharing the info.

Offline ika

« Reply #860 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 11:53:20 »
I'm sure Zeal will step in here soon with more info but he mentioned this about the smaller stems:

might be slightly smaller, though because it's a bit "wobblier", there's less friction against slider channels, resulting in a smoother feel. also quieter because of different plastic

I also noticed that Gateron Browns were slightly more wobbly than Cherry Browns. It could be placebo but I've never seen anyone talk about this so I figured it was important to bring up.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #861 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 12:04:25 »
You mean the stems?

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #862 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 13:01:12 »
Can confirm that these switches work unlubed with down 45g korean springs :D That is, they don't get stuck and unable to do the backthrow.
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #863 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 16:22:35 »
Yay! I got my Zealios.

First impressions: They remind me of Alps. Smooth, defined tactility, but wobbly.

The tight top is nice, but a bit pointless due to how loose the slider is. On Row 1 SA caps I don't think they're acceptable, to be honest.

Then there's the slight grinding that you get near bottom out. Looks to me like it's the left "leg" of the slider scraping on the pin extension inside the bottom case.

114424-0

114426-1

However, since I don't like to point out problems without offering a solution, I present to you.... The Golden Zealio mod!

114428-2

114430-3

You put a piece of copper tape on either side of the slider. Copper is malleable and conforms well to the slider shape. It's also low friction, so it still feels good. Helps improve the stability a lot without losing the beautiful smoothness.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #864 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 16:26:40 »
So much for the perfect switch, kinda sad now. Ah well there's always topre.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #865 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 16:35:06 »
You put a piece of copper tape on either side of the slider. Copper is malleable and conforms well to the slider shape. It's also low friction, so it still feels good. Helps improve the stability a lot without losing the beautiful smoothness.
Have you tried the switches you did this to enough to know how well it hold up to use?
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline cjhard

« Reply #866 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 17:11:15 »
Would not the adhesive of the copper tape slowly seep out and gum up your switches?

Sounds like we could use a Round 2, *hint hint*, *wink wonk*

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #867 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 17:21:25 »
Would not the adhesive of the copper tape slowly seep out and gum up your switches?

*wank wank*

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #868 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 17:25:50 »
Zealios has landed here in southwest florida

Thank you and great job on this group buy Zeal!

Offline cjhard

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #870 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 18:57:01 »
I received my order this afternoon. 150 65g tactiles. I've actually never tried clears before, let alone ergo clears.

I tried blues and browns, but never cared for the much. When it comes to tactile switches, I've always preferred alps.

I don't have a full board to put these on yet (waiting for my planck to arrive, I'm thinking perhaps an ergodox for zealio build #2), but I'm quite impressed by these so far. The tactile bump is very apparent, and they're just so crisp! It's great!

I'm burying the lede here, but I was jumping for joy when I opened the box. Not only did I find some rad switches, but I also got A FRIKKEN BINGE CAP!

1/10 reporting in.

He's living on my Lolita for the moment, but he'll have a permanent home on a zealio switch soon.
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km²), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km²),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #871 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 18:58:38 »

1/10 reporting in.

Not to burst your bubble, but you're at the very least 3/10, maybe later. Really nice cap though, you lucky duck!  :thumb:
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #872 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 19:00:52 »

1/10 reporting in.

Not to burst your bubble, but you're at the very least 3/10, maybe later. Really nice cap though, you lucky duck!  :thumb:

But he has "1/10" on the envelope ;)
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #873 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 19:01:56 »

1/10 reporting in.

Not first to post out of 10, cap 1 of 10. Mind you, I'm assuming they're labeled on the bottom right of the envelope in series...
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km²), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km²),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #874 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 19:02:29 »

1/10 reporting in.

Leave it to zeal to mess up the Binge order.
jk  :p
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #875 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 20:21:16 »
Thanks everyone for your criticism / suggestions. Will be replying to a few comments.

http://imgur.com/a/sqQJd

That's a Gateron Brown. Measured at both the sliders and just above the sliders. For the record I'm not starting ****. I prefer a lubed Zealio to my Gateron browns. Just sharing the info.

I did some measurements of the Zealio switch vs MX Tactile gray, and I'd say the dimensions were very close, subject to digital caliper calibration / human error.

MX Tactile Gray got the following measurements:
8.72mm (slider)
7.15mm (top of slider)
5.63mm (measurement from front to rear of switch, above where legs are)

Purple Zealio
8.7mm (slider)
7.09mm (top of slider)
5.54mm (measurement from front to rear of switch, above where legs are)

I also measured the interior bottom housing slider, top housing dimensions etc, and they were all relatively close to each other minus RGB switch top's slightly smaller logo to LED position (which makes sense, as Gateron has purposely designed it to be a bit tighter to prevent dust, which also happens to compensate for the slightly 0.1mm "smaller" stem).

If anything, I would say this is a fair compromise as I'd rather have a slightly wobblier stem than to have a (Cherry profile) keycap catch onto regular Gateron top housing as reported by members.

I'm sure Zeal will step in here soon with more info but he mentioned this about the smaller stems:

might be slightly smaller, though because it's a bit "wobblier", there's less friction against slider channels, resulting in a smoother feel. also quieter because of different plastic

I also noticed that Gateron Browns were slightly more wobbly than Cherry Browns. It could be placebo but I've never seen anyone talk about this so I figured it was important to bring up.

The above comment copied from IRC still stands.

Yay! I got my Zealios.

First impressions: They remind me of Alps. Smooth, defined tactility, but wobbly.

The tight top is nice, but a bit pointless due to how loose the slider is. On Row 1 SA caps I don't think they're acceptable, to be honest.

Then there's the slight grinding that you get near bottom out. Looks to me like it's the left "leg" of the slider scraping on the pin extension inside the bottom case.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

However, since I don't like to point out problems without offering a solution, I present to you.... The Golden Zealio mod!

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Interesting mod, Oobly. You're always tinkering with switches. :)) I don't have SA caps, so I can't comment in that regard.
As for the slight grinding you sometimes feel while bottoming out -- I've only been able to replicate it when pushing the stem against the "Gateron" logo while applying a diagonal downwards force. From what I feel, it seems like it's from the metal leaf touching the sidewall of the top of the stem, after the bump. If pressing the switch directly up and down, the switch leaf doesn't rub against the side wall which resulted in no grinding feel around the last 0.5mm (or less) of travel. Adding some thick lube where the top of the leg meets the top of the stem helped greatly reduce/remove the grinding feel.

So much for the perfect switch, kinda sad now. Ah well there's always topre.

Thank you for your input.

If you would like to pay for a new mould *hint hint*, *wink wink*

I received my order this afternoon. 150 65g tactiles. I've actually never tried clears before, let alone ergo clears.

I tried blues and browns, but never cared for the much. When it comes to tactile switches, I've always preferred alps.

I don't have a full board to put these on yet (waiting for my planck to arrive, I'm thinking perhaps an ergodox for zealio build #2), but I'm quite impressed by these so far. The tactile bump is very apparent, and they're just so crisp! It's great!

I'm burying the lede here, but I was jumping for joy when I opened the box. Not only did I find some rad switches, but I also got A FRIKKEN BINGE CAP!

1/10 reporting in.

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

He's living on my Lolita for the moment, but he'll have a permanent home on a zealio switch soon.

Congrats! You were the first to be drawn and won Zealio Bingecap 1/10! :) Enjoy your Slowfi!

1/10 reporting in.

Leave it to zeal to mess up the Binge order.
jk  :p

Leave it to trenzafeeds to not see the 1/10 marking :P
jk, not jk ;)
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #876 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 20:43:06 »
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #877 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 21:11:53 »
I haven't mounted my Zealios yet so I can't speak to the wobbliness. But at least with Alps switches, the wobbliness allows for less resistance when striking a key a bit off-center. In that regard I would think it's preferable for taller caps like SA.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #878 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 23:29:51 »
HURRY UP AND GET HERE PLEASE ZEALIOS :(
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline ika

« Reply #879 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 23:58:03 »
For those who are worried about the wobbliness I'm just gonna say that I didn't even notice until sth__ pointed it out. I was never really bothered by the wobble of cherry caps so this didn't even register on my "Concern Meter". The tradeoffs are more significant IMO.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #880 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 01:38:14 »
First off, there's another difference between these and "genuine" MX. The slider rod and tube are slightly different and they leave a smaller gap at bottom out (eyeballing it, it looks closer to 0.5mm compared to the 0.8mm of "genuine" MX). Which means trampoline modding these requires different thicknesses of material. The balls from IMSTO result in too much loss of travel and increased "mush". I'll be posting more about this in the trampoline mod thread, but so far it looks like slices of orings do the best job.

I haven't mounted my Zealios yet so I can't speak to the wobbliness. But at least with Alps switches, the wobbliness allows for less resistance when striking a key a bit off-center. In that regard I would think it's preferable for taller caps like SA.

Binding is all about pressure angle, so taller caps will bind LESS than short ones:

And in general, more play means more chance of binding. With a lower tolerance gap and more slider contact points the slider should bind less (assuming the contact areas are smooth). Slider shape more than anything determines binding, but it generally gets worse with more play, not better (see my explanation below).

I did some measurements of the Zealio switch vs MX Tactile gray, and I'd say the dimensions were very close, subject to digital caliper calibration / human error.

MX Tactile Gray got the following measurements:
8.72mm (slider)
7.15mm (top of slider)
5.63mm (measurement from front to rear of switch, above where legs are)

Purple Zealio
8.7mm (slider)
7.09mm (top of slider)
5.54mm (measurement from front to rear of switch, above where legs are)
If anything, I would say this is a fair compromise as I'd rather have a slightly wobblier stem than to have a (Cherry profile) keycap catch onto regular Gateron top housing as reported by members.

The "catching" referred to has more to do with the case top design than the slider. Cherry cap stems are 5.6mm diameter, Gateron caps are 5.2mm. So Cherry stems can catch on the case top opening more easily. A wobbly slider will actually make this worse, not better.

Two of your measurements are relevant, the width inside the rails and the width above them, as both affect the horizontal play in the slider and at this scale, tiny amounts matter.

I respectfully disagree. Friction is independent of surface area (surprised? It's true: http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae140.cfm), but directly dependent on force and surface smoothness and wobbly sliders increase the sideways force present at the contact point. Most thermoplastics tend to have a coefficient of friction that decreases with load force, so that will help reduce the frictional force, but not enough to offset the increase in actual force. So you have increased force and it's acting on a smaller area. Which means you're getting faster wear which will introduce even more wobble. If the switch is pressed perfectly straight, there is no difference in friction between a wobbly slider and one with tighter tolerances, since the same areas of the slider and case are in contact and they're very similar (the side forces are then only generated by the contact leaves and will be consistent between them). But off straight angle, the wobbly slider will tilt and increase side forces and wear, whereas a tighter tolerance slider will not.

In other words, the looseness is not needed for smoothness (smooth surfaces is), but will increase wear and wobbliness with use.

As for the slight grinding you sometimes feel while bottoming out -- I've only been able to replicate it when pushing the stem against the "Gateron" logo while applying a diagonal downwards force. From what I feel, it seems like it's from the metal leaf touching the sidewall of the top of the stem, after the bump. If pressing the switch directly up and down, the switch leaf doesn't rub against the side wall which resulted in no grinding feel around the last 0.5mm (or less) of travel. Adding some thick lube where the top of the leg meets the top of the stem helped greatly reduce/remove the grinding feel.

The first two pictures in my post show that the slider is contacting the metal inside the bottom housing. You can see the scraped area on the slider inside the cutaway of the leg. You may well be right that this is not the cause of the grinding feel, though, especially if it goes away by lubing that top area. I will test further when I get home again today.

But now for the most important part of my post: Zealios feel awesome and are really smooth and tactile. There are some relatively minor issues which I think should have been mentioned by reviewers, since they impact some buyers, but they do the job they set out to do: be smoother Clears with better spring choices.

My experience with the 67g, 65g and 62g (I swapped some Sprit 62g springs into a few) is that the reviewers got it right. They descibe them well. I like the feel of the 65g ones best, although I still prefer the lightness of the 62g ones. Undecided which I'll use in my actual builds yet.

For my purposes, I will "gold" mod all my Zealios. It's more work than scraping Clear sliders, but less than doing that AND installing stickers, for a better end result. I'll probably also end up lubing them, installing trampolines and adding latex to the top housings, because... well, that makes them as close to perfection as I'm expecting to be able get with ANY switches.

Thank you Zeal! My expectations for these was higher than it should have been, but in almost all respects was matched by these switches. My small disappointments relating to the looseness of the slider should not dampen people's enthusiasm for these awesome switches. I was hoping for these to be "no mods needed", but it turns out that for my urm.. "special" criteria for my switches I do still need to do some mods. Point is, though, that the end result is amazing. I could not get the same feel from MX Clears no matter how many mods I do to them. I post all this other info out of a need for completeness and accuracy.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 October 2015, 01:44:21 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #881 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 01:43:42 »

The adhesive should stay in place pretty well. Even if it does seep, there's the copper tape thickness holding the parts away from each other, so it'd need to really ooze out there to gum things up.

About a Round 2 with modified sliders.... not sure the expense is worth it, considering it's probably only SA profile pundits who'll be affected enough to care.

On the other hand, SA is getting more popular, with lots of GB's running for it, so... it's really up to Zeal to decide if it's worth it. Maybe if we buy enough of the first round to help the funding he'll consider it :)
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #882 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 02:31:42 »
Thanks for the lecture and comments, Oobly. :))

Sorry that my switch still isn't perfect, but it's still a huge leap and improvement from current Cherry offerings. I can, however, safely say that nothing on the market is close to Zealios, and I'm glad the community was able to help make the switch a reality.

The RGB switch top had a slight modification per my request to prevent keycap catching, and so far it's worked great with thick Cherry ABS caps. I haven't heard reports of catching yet.

By the way, the reason why I (nor the reviewers) noticed the gritty feel at the very bottom was because Gateron had hand lubed the review samples since there weren't enough switches to automate assembly (I was just told this yesterday, after asking Gateron some questions and providing feedback). The slider legs had a thicker jelly like grease and it happened to go up to the top of the stem, where the legs and the stem body joined. The automated switches have a thinner layer of lube that didn't go as high so that's why it may seem more noticeable.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #883 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 02:47:38 »
I don't think anyone could design a switch Oobly would be happy with without mods, he takes standards to an admirably high new level :thumb:

Still excited to receive mine, hopefully they'll be stiff enough that I don't bottom out and feel the grittiness.  There will be 60x 100g springs in the box to make sure for one build :))  Why did I change my order at the last minute...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline techmattr

« Reply #884 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 03:44:55 »
Finally got mine installed on my phantom. 62g. I'm thinking I'll probably swap out the springs for 67g though.... 62g feels a bit too light with these switches.

Offline MEEPhouse

« Reply #885 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 04:04:27 »
Finally got mine installed on my phantom. 62g. I'm thinking I'll probably swap out the springs for 67g though.... 62g feels a bit too light with these switches.

Show Image

This looks fabulous!  :)

Offline Data

« Reply #886 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 08:00:38 »
This thread has been very educational.  :p

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #887 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 09:50:21 »
The RGB switch top had a slight modification per my request to prevent keycap catching, and so far it's worked great with thick Cherry ABS caps. I haven't heard reports of catching yet.

I tried my caps that catch on normal Gaterons and they do not catch on Zealios.  :thumb:

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #888 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 11:40:41 »
Can anyone explain what "catching" is?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #889 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 11:54:11 »
Completely anecdotally, I don't notice any more wobble outta my SA caps (this is symbiosis so R3) with zealios than with the browns that were in my QFR. Also I have not experienced any rubbing, catching, or anything else like that when typing for the last week.

So take that as you will, one person's very personal take on it.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #890 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 11:56:09 »
Can anyone explain what "catching" is?

Some keycaps will literally get hung up on or catch when pressed down when using certain switch tops.

Offline koalapear

• Actually hates koalas.
« Reply #891 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 14:00:36 »
Finally got my Duck Octagon together with 67g Zealios:

Bonus typing video:

Overall very satisfied with the switches! They feel great  :thumb:
'91 Model M SSK | NerD 60 (MX Greens) | Realforce 87U 55g | Winkeyless B.87 (MX Greens) | Monarch Matias Custom | HHKB | Duck Octagon (67g Zealios)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #892 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 16:17:58 »
I don't think anyone could design a switch Oobly would be happy with without mods....

:D Quite true, I must admit. These come closest to perfect that I've found.

I tried a Clear stem in a Zealio case and... Feels like a slightly smoother and more stable ErgoClear (with a slightly more prominent tactility, probably due to slightly stronger leaves in the Zealio), but still scratchy.
Tried a Zealio stem in a stock MX case and... feels like a slightly scratchier and noticably wobblier Zealio.

So the Clear stem AND stock MX case are both rough and contribute to the scratchy feeling of stock Clears.

Then I got wild and tried a gold modded Clear stem in the Zealio case. Still slightly scratchy, but much smoother than a stock Clear and very stable (most stable MX type of switch I've tried).

Conclusion: I like gold modded Zealios the most, despite the stability of gold modded Clear stems in Zealio cases. The smoothness is simply amazing and the "wobbliness" is not much more than stock MX and probably not noticable on Cherry profile caps. For SA caps it is, if you're particularly sensitive to this (as I am), but for sensitive types like myself, the gold mod stabilises them nicely, to the point that I reckon they're slightly more stable than stickered MX. And I can confirm that lube fixes the bottom out grind. It's also not present once they're trampoline modded even without lube.

I think the copper will be durable enough. It doesn't deform more once it's taken on the shape of the slider, and it's the same combination of materials as the slider legs against the contact leaves, so with a little lube it should really last.

Result: I will be using lubed 65g "Golden Zealios" (with trampoline and latex mods) in all forthcoming keyboard builds. They're simply the best. Thank you again, Zeal, you've produced the best MX compatible switch on the market hands down. If you ever do contemplate a new slider mold, you need only increase the dimensions of the slider parts that contact the rails to make these perfect (including a slighlty wider overall width). You can even go slightly larger than the dimensions of those parts on stock Clears and it'll remain smooth as butter, but have great stability, too. Should also wear less / more slowly.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #893 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 03:02:25 »
Finally got my Duck Octagon together with 67g Zealios:

Show Image

Show Image

Bonus typing video:

Overall very satisfied with the switches! They feel great  :thumb:

sweet board. Do you have a build log? I've been looking on how exactly to flash the firmware, because the 02D key mapper doesn't have a winkeyless layout mapper. And are the smd led controlled by the firmware to?
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 October 2015, 03:11:19 by ccc24 »

Offline cjhard

« Reply #894 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 10:12:12 »
A couple of my switches actuate just a hair short of touching them. All I did was open them up and add an LED inside, what could I have messed up to cause this?

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #895 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 17:06:05 »
Looks like the lube arrived, 'cause my order has shipped!

Thanks for all of your hard work Zeal , don't know of a geekhack equivalent so I hooked you up with some reddit gold :thumb:

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #896 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 18:21:19 »
Looks like the lube arrived, 'cause my order has shipped!

Thanks for all of your hard work Zeal , don't know of a geekhack equivalent so I hooked you up with some reddit gold :thumb:

Yeah, received first half of my lube order shipment from mkawa today. The package only contained thin & thick lube, so spring lube people have to wait a tiny bit more til second half is sent out D:

P.S. thanks for the reddit gold :))

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #897 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 20:18:42 »
Yay I got tracking!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #898 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 20:22:26 »
Yay I got tracking!

Congratulations! My order is still in the pipeline.

Offline graefeln

« Reply #899 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 20:42:20 »
Yay I got tracking!

Congratulations! My order is still in the pipeline.

So is mine - knowing he got the lube in and seeing others post is making me anxious to get mine. I know it will be soon though; Zeal is doing a great job.