Author Topic: [GB] PURPLE/CLEAR ZEALIO SWITCHES (Complete)  (Read 562224 times)

Offline chromatically

Re: [GB] PURPLE/CLEAR ZEALIO SWITCHES (Shipping)
« Reply #1000 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 11:02:36 »
Got an update re: spring lube. Mkawa will be shipping out the spring lube package by the end of the week, so I should be receiving the package first/second week of November. Once I get those vials in, orders with spring lube will be shipped out asap.

ahhhh no wonder... I've been thinking the shipping has just been taking extraordinarily long :P
thanks zeal!!

Offline scoobs0311

« Reply #1001 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 13:14:40 »
Switches arrived today, they feel excellent! Thanks again Zeal! Hope to have time to put these on my v60 tonight :D

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1002 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 17:10:15 »
Package sent Monday, arrived a day early today nicely packaged in a perfect condition box - thanks Zeal, and DHL!

Sadly no Bingecap and I do have a complaint - some idiot (me) ordered 62g clears.  Between the smoothness and light springs only my pinkies notice any resistance at all pressing them :))  At least there are only 20 of them...  The 67g purples are much more to my liking and I also got some 100g springs which seem a bit stiff on a loose switch, but I might like them in a board.

Now I need to work out what to do with them!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Butter

« Reply #1003 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 18:00:43 »
Got the switches today as well  :D so much tape :thumb:

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1004 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 18:06:59 »
Just got my shipping notification - very excited!

Offline kishagi

• Narcoleptic
« Reply #1005 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 19:30:29 »
Just got mine today, realized that I messed up and chose the 62g option for the clear zealio switches rather than the 67g. Oh well, its a good thing that I bought those 67g springs from Massdrop. Thanks so much ZealPC! Now I can properly attempt to restore my "butchered" (read: I suck at unsoldering) Filco TKL board.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1006 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 19:32:58 »
Hi Zeal!

Thanks for the GB. I received my email announcing shipment last week. However the mail did not contain a tracking number nor the link given. If I look at the page the tracking info are empty. Is that normal? Do you mind to look it up, please?

Thank you.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #1007 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 20:14:24 »
Just got mine today, realized that I messed up and chose the 62g option for the clear zealio switches rather than the 67g. Oh well, its a good thing that I bought those 67g springs from Massdrop. Thanks so much ZealPC! Now I can properly attempt to restore my "butchered" (read: I suck at unsoldering) Filco TKL board.

67g springs on Massdrop will be vastly different from my custom springs. Massdrop's version is based on actuation point, whereas my weighting system (along with other Korean springs) are based on bottom out force.

Hi Zeal!

Thanks for the GB. I received my email announcing shipment last week. However the mail did not contain a tracking number nor the link given. If I look at the page the tracking info are empty. Is that normal? Do you mind to look it up, please?

Thank you.

Hi Ngt,

The shipping method you chose [Canada Post Int'l Air - (6-10 Business Days, No Tracking/Insurance)] does not come with tracking. From my experience, it usually delivers within a week for European countries. That's why "N/A" is used, meaning not applicable/not available.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline blai5000

« Reply #1008 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 20:46:09 »
Just got my order of 90x 62g L!  Can't wait to use them!

Offline thaddeus

« Reply #1009 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 20:56:13 »
I cannot resist sharing my potato pix

Unfortunately there isn't an empty PCB anywhere in the house :( I would LOVE to rip the browns out of my ES-87, but I purchased the Zealios for a 60% I have in mind...what do  :-\

*EDIT: And because it has not been said enough, THANK YOU ZEAL. This is my first group buy experience and it has gone so buttery smooth. I fear you may have spoiled me for the reality of other GBs  :))
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 October 2015, 20:57:53 by thaddeus »

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1010 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 03:42:22 »

67g springs on Massdrop will be vastly different from my custom springs. Massdrop's version is based on actuation point, whereas my weighting system (along with other Korean springs) are based on bottom out force.

Hi Zeal!

Thank you.

Hi Ngt,

The shipping method you chose [Canada Post Int'l Air - (6-10 Business Days, No Tracking/Insurance)] does not come with tracking. From my experience, it usually delivers within a week for European countries. That's why "N/A" is used, meaning not applicable/not available.
Haha, ok. Silly me. I forgot that I didn't choose a shipping with tracking ... Thanks for clarifying that for me. ;)

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1011 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 04:23:19 »

You too?  It's like the 62g just want to be bought :))
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline E3E

« Reply #1012 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 05:06:04 »

Hehe. 62g is definitely the most popular spring weight for Korean springs in general. Even though 67g springs are seeming to get a ton of love, they still aren't beating out the demand for 62g.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1013 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 05:15:24 »
I actually really like the 62g version. I'm happy with the 65g, but the 67g is too heavy for my tastes. I get the "Topre-like" comments, but I'm not a Topre fan anyway, so... To me it seems the 62g does have the most tactility and the smoothess makes them sooooo nice to use. With th 67g it feels like the stronger spring masks a little of the tactility. Glad I bought a few of them to test, though, otherwise it would have bugged me not knowing. They all have good "pop" thanks to the stronger Gateron contact leaf and smoothness.

A Clear slider actually has just a touch more tactility than the stock purple, but the rough surface really lets it down. If you look really closely at both together you can see the tactile bump on the Clear stem is just a touch more prominent and the purple a little less, but they're very, very similar and like I said, the smoothness trumps the bump.

In case anyone thinks I'm being overly critical of these, it's simply that they're so good that you can even notice the small details of the movement and feeling of them.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #1014 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 05:27:51 »
I actually really like the 62g version. I'm happy with the 65g, but the 67g is too heavy for my tastes. I get the "Topre-like" comments, but I'm not a Topre fan anyway, so... To me it seems the 62g does have the most tactility and the smoothess makes them sooooo nice to use. With th 67g it feels like the stronger spring masks a little of the tactility. Glad I bought a few of them to test, though, otherwise it would have bugged me not knowing. They all have good "pop" thanks to the stronger Gateron contact leaf and smoothness.

A Clear slider actually has just a touch more tactility than the stock purple, but the rough surface really lets it down. If you look really closely at both together you can see the tactile bump on the Clear stem is just a touch more prominent and the purple a little less, but they're very, very similar and like I said, the smoothness trumps the bump.

In case anyone thinks I'm being overly critical of these, it's simply that they're so good that you can even notice the small details of the movement and feeling of them.

Can't stop playing with the one 67g switch I have on my desk, really enjoying it!  :p

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #1015 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 06:18:41 »
Shipping notification yesterday, and that's with a cable ordered too :)

So, for those that ordered cables as well, Zeal is making his way through.  :thumb:

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline Xonar

• Cathode Ray Tubes
    • DPS
« Reply #1016 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 08:54:33 »
You're the man, Zeal.

Don't have them on a board yet but so far they're absolutely the best MX-type switch I've ever tried.

Almost ready to construct my Zealio 60%...
IBM Model F XT 5291 Bigfoot x2 | Unicomp UN4KPHA JP Spacesaver M | IBM Model M 3270 APL 122-Key | SHARP X68000 | SGI AT-101 | Samsung TH-5539 FAME Blue Alps | IBM Japanese Pingmaster | HHKB Type-S | IBM Model M 1392595, 6/4/1990 | IBM Model M 1391401, 2/2/1988 | Lexmark-branded 1398601 Model M, 8/18/1995 | Unicomp UB40T5A 122-Key, 5/20/2011 | Sun Type 4 | Sun Type 5c | DEC LK-401AA

Offline Dee1

« Reply #1017 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 10:19:46 »
Got an update re: spring lube. Mkawa will be shipping out the spring lube package by the end of the week, so I should be receiving the package first/second week of November. Once I get those vials in, orders with spring lube will be shipped out asap.
Awesome! That means I can get mine soon! :D

Offline thaddeus

« Reply #1018 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 13:01:27 »
You're the man, Zeal.

Show Image

Show Image

Don't have them on a board yet but so far they're absolutely the best MX-type switch I've ever tried.

Show Image

Ooooo, you're making me drool. What PCB is that?

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1019 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 13:06:37 »
You're the man, Zeal.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks like a white sprit facew to me (I built a zealio board with one myself.

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #1020 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 13:12:20 »
You're the man, Zeal.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That's a b.face. It's got that sweet RGB underlighting.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1021 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 13:18:12 »
You're the man, Zeal.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That's a b.face. It's got that sweet RGB underlighting.
Oooo! Get me in on that action! (aka, post pics when it's built, I wanna see!)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1022 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 13:55:02 »

Hehe. 62g is definitely the most popular spring weight for Korean springs in general. Even though 67g springs are seeming to get a ton of love, they still aren't beating out the demand for 62g.

Maybe so but we both wanted 67g and somehow landed up ordering 62s!

I actually really like the 62g version. I'm happy with the 65g, but the 67g is too heavy for my tastes.

Sounds like I should try a 62g purple, but the 62g clears are like typing on air to my fingers.  I need a bump or at least a noticeable amount of resistance but there's nothing there, and it will only get worse once gravity and the weight of a keycap are added :))  Some people will surely love the lack of effort required though - it's good to have options!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Butter

« Reply #1023 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 15:01:51 »
Quick question what is the different between Zealio linear and gateron red? Other then the clear tops and bottom.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1024 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 15:04:45 »
Quick question what is the different between Zealio linear and gateron red? Other then the clear tops and bottom.
And a translucent slider!

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1025 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 15:06:00 »
Support for RGB LED's is big. I think the springs are different as well (as in Zealios have gold springs), but I could be wrong about what Zeal's springs are actually made of.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1026 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 15:06:54 »
Support for RGB LED's is big. I think the springs are different as well (as in Zealios have gold springs), but I could be wrong about what Zeal's springs are actually made of.
I'm pretty sure they are gold plated. Pure gold wouldn't make a very good spring, as far as I'm aware.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1027 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 15:08:30 »
I'm pretty sure they are gold plated. Pure gold wouldn't make a very good spring, as far as I'm aware.
Should have made it clear, I meant gold plated, not pure gold obv
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #1028 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 16:04:43 »

Slightly heavier spring with more spring options. The spring weight is in the "goldy-locks" area between a Gateron red and black spring. They're also gold plated for an extra dash of bling ;)
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1029 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 16:59:50 »

I figure I should finally get around to taking some pics of the board I built. 67g purple Zealios.

Thanks Zeal! These are definitely my favorite switches, by far!!! (you might be getting an order for 100 or so from me here pretty soon, when Mira ever happens )

I hope that the pics aren't too potato. I took them with my phone...

Offline Vozella

« Reply #1030 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 17:00:44 »
You're out of stock of the 62g variant of the Purple Zealio switches. How long until they're back in stock? I'd like to buy the Zealio Switch Sampler Pack but I want to wait until the 62g variant are included.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1031 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 17:02:37 »
You're out of stock of the 62g variant of the Purple Zealio switches. How long until they're back in stock? I'd like to buy the Zealio Switch Sampler Pack but I want to wait until the 62g variant are included.
Zeal said that they will be back in Stock whenever he makes an order for restocking. Could be a while (my guess would be that he'll order more once most of the switches are running low on stock...)

Offline steve.v

« Reply #1032 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 05:18:46 »
Where can I get the latest and greatest lube for these purple zealios? 

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1033 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 08:17:47 »
Where can I get the latest and greatest lube for these purple zealios?
Zeal's store!

Offline kekstee

« Reply #1034 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 12:36:00 »
My 67g order arrived yesterday. I usually dislike stronger switches, but I think between a red build I have pending and my HHKB those were the right choice and offer something sightly different.

Comparing these 67g Zealios to stock Clears, they are bit lighter, the scratchiness is gone and the bump somehow feels snappier due to a longer travel from bump to cushioning/bottom.

With some 62g Springs I had the scratchiness issue of Clears gets much more pronounced. The spring sometimes feels like it has difficulties pushing the switch back over the bump. Not so with Zealios. But the bump suffered a bit here, it doesn't feel so much at the top like with the 67g version. I wish I had one or two 65g or even actual 62g Zealios for comparison, but thats what I could gather from my order :D Now I just need that PCB leaving Korea already.

Note though that I'd take the 62g version over Browns any day.

Offline ika

« Reply #1035 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 13:24:09 »
Has anyone looked into why some people are getting switches that actuate above the bump? I thought it was a problem with people who were modding these switches, but I discovered that I have one such switch in my =/+ key. I can barely brush the key and it will actuate. Unfortunately it's in my b.87 so I can't open the switch top to see what's wrong; I'll probably have to desolder the thing to fix it. Is it an issue with the switch leaf? Bent out of shape or something?

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #1036 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 13:45:03 »
Has anyone looked into why some people are getting switches that actuate above the bump? I thought it was a problem with people who were modding these switches, but I discovered that I have one such switch in my =/+ key. I can barely brush the key and it will actuate. Unfortunately it's in my b.87 so I can't open the switch top to see what's wrong; I'll probably have to desolder the thing to fix it. Is it an issue with the switch leaf? Bent out of shape or something?

I'm kinda glad I'm not the only one... I'm not entirely incompetent yay!

I'll be buying a multimeter (or a multimeter kit) before my next Zealio's build to make sure my switches are consistently post-bump actuated before soldering.

Offline Nufrifin

« Reply #1037 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 18:53:48 »
Got my order!

They feel very nice, but it seems that QC has to be done by whoever makes the keyboard, one out of a 100 had a weird issue, switch was permanently closed.
If you were to push the slider in a little, it would open, and then close again quickly.
I opened it up and found this (healthy slider in the back for comparison)

So, I would recommend to order slightly more than required and test every switch before using them.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 October 2015, 19:50:48 by Nufrifin »

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #1038 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 21:31:18 »
Finally got around to lubing my Zealios, went with GHer's thick lube and left in the 67g spring. It feels eerily similar to 45g Topre. This Phantom is now definitely my favorite MX board, it amazes me how obscenely smooth lubed Zealios are. I would say normal zealios are about 85% as smooth as reasonably possible, properly lubed they go to like 95%. There's definitely a noticable difference but it's not a pronounced or substantial one, mostly when striking a key off-center.

It crossed my mind for a brief second for put some stock Cherry MX clear springs into the Zealios since I'm a huge fan of their force curve but decided to ride out 67g for now. Anyone tried Cherry clear springs inside some Zealio's yet?

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #1039 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 22:55:07 »

I had this issue with a large number of switches. I'm glad it's not just me. I ended up having to desolder and replace some of them several times because many of the new ones I would try were faulty as well. After finally getting 61 working switches in my keyboard, I now have a bin with 32 switches that actuate above the bump.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1040 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 23:00:35 »

I had this issue with a large number of switches. I'm glad it's not just me. I ended up having to desolder and replace some of them several times because many of the new ones I would try were faulty as well. After finally getting 61 working switches in my keyboard, I now have a bin with 32 switches that actuate above the bump.
Wow! I bought 65 (sorry zeal) and every one of mine was in great condition.

Offline Nufrifin

« Reply #1041 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 23:06:57 »
Rayoui, if you have the time, could you please open one of those switches and see if the slider looks like it should?

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #1042 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 23:41:23 »
Rayoui, if you have the time, could you please open one of those switches and see if the slider looks like it should?

I opened a few of them after removing them but didn't notice anything obviously deformed about the stem or leaf.

I just tested a few with a multimeter and can confirm that they do indeed actuate above the bump.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1043 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 00:16:03 »
Got my order!

They feel very nice, but it seems that QC has to be done by whoever makes the keyboard, one out of a 100 had a weird issue, switch was permanently closed.
If you were to push the slider in a little, it would open, and then close again quickly.
I opened it up and found this (healthy slider in the back for comparison)

Show Image

So, I would recommend to order slightly more than required and test every switch before using them.

God tip, thank you very much. I will try all of them before to solder them. It is a shame QC is not hat good lastly with some of the recent GBs, including some GMK's.

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #1044 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 00:52:19 »
I don't know if this has been addressed, but has Zeal said if he has any plans on selling the springs separately?
[WTT] Bros | HWS | Nightcaps [WTTF] Bros | KBK/KWK | CC

LZ-FE                 Kpad           Poker II                   Leopold 980M          TGR Tris       TGR-Jane   
72g Vintage Blacks      Blacks            Blues                        Silent Pinks                Coming Soon™

Others
More
Leopold 750RT - Reds, Smart68 Coming Soon™, Steelseries 6Gv2 - Reds

Offline renzpwns

• I didn't like money in my wallet anyways.
« Reply #1045 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 01:16:43 »
Finally got around to lubing my Zealios, went with GHer's thick lube and left in the 67g spring. It feels eerily similar to 45g Topre. This Phantom is now definitely my favorite MX board, it amazes me how obscenely smooth lubed Zealios are. I would say normal zealios are about 85% as smooth as reasonably possible, properly lubed they go to like 95%. There's definitely a noticable difference but it's not a pronounced or substantial one, mostly when striking a key off-center.

Hey, just wanted to ask a few questions about lubing the Zealios. I got the thick lube with my order and I'm wondering which parts of the switch did you lube? Like the stems, sliders and springs and all that. I've been experimenting with some of the switches but I just want to know what others think on it.

Offline Zorox

• Tactile FTW <3
« Reply #1046 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 01:40:41 »

It crossed my mind for a brief second for put some stock Cherry MX clear springs into the Zealios since I'm a huge fan of their force curve but decided to ride out 67g for now. Anyone tried Cherry clear springs inside some Zealio's yet?

I can pretty assume that the feeling when you replace Cherry clear springs into Zealios would be almost the same as normal Cherry clear. The springs are the reason people chose Zealios imho :D

Offline ripwallet

« Reply #1047 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 06:28:56 »
Cannot wait to start my zelios build i've heard nothing but great things about them.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #1048 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 08:04:25 »
Hey, just wanted to ask a few questions about lubing the Zealios. I got the thick lube with my order and I'm wondering which parts of the switch did you lube? Like the stems, sliders and springs and all that. I've been experimenting with some of the switches but I just want to know what others think on it.

I used an old cell phone screen as a sort of palette for lube and applied it to the center post, the legs, and the side rails. I applied on the lighter side of what I would consider a medium volume of lubricant, with the majority being applied to the side rails and legs and basically whatever was left on the brush was then applied to the center post. I tried lubing springs on a couple test switches but it doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference on Zealios so I skipped it.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #1049 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 08:03:11 »
So I brought my Phantom with Zealios in to work to use today and I'm having some serious issues with it. At least 8 of the 86 switches activate early (before the tactile bump) and are causing keys presses to double-register non-stop. Has anyone figured out a fix for this? Swap out to a different stem? Replace the switch?

I have to admit, I'm less than impressed by the shear number of my switches having this issue. If it were only 1 or even 2 I wouldn't have even said anything, but when you're getting close to a 10% failure rate that is a sincere problem.