Author Topic: [GB] PURPLE/CLEAR ZEALIO SWITCHES (Complete)  (Read 562244 times)

Offline KaminKevCrew

Re: [GB] PURPLE/CLEAR ZEALIO SWITCHES (Complete)
« Reply #1300 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 11:24:42 »

It took me a while to gather everything, but here is my first Zealio build.

Show Image

Show Image

I love them.

Looks great! Love the Nerd60 peeking out. What plate and case is that?

I could swear there were a few posts about this last night... Did gh roll back again or something?

I couldn't tell you what plate it is, but the case is one called something like "aluminum 60% custom keyboard case" from massdrop. I have it in blue and it's a great case! I wish I had gotten a nerd pcb for my build, maybe with the new zealios! :D

Offline potatowire

« Reply #1301 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 12:34:40 »
Looks great! Love the Nerd60 peeking out.

I liked that bit too! I took a few extra pictures of this area for that reason.

What plate and case is that?

I'm pretty sure it is the LeandreN plate (I bought it from another user who got it from Massdrop), and the case is this one. I am pleasantly surprised by it.

Offline potatowire

« Reply #1302 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 12:35:14 »

I could swear there were a few posts about this last night... Did gh roll back again or something?

You may have seen it on Reddit...

Edit: quote syntax typo

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1303 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 13:30:12 »

You may have seen it on Reddit...

Edit: quote syntax typo
Haha! That may well be! I totally forget which is which sometimes XD

Offline apolotary

• Кто-нибудь купите мои клавиатуры ;__;
« Reply #1304 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 00:16:16 »
Sorry if this question was brought up before, but how do linear Zealios compare with Gateron Black?

Also I was wondering if there's going to be a sale any time soon, wanted to buy or trade for a big pack of those :)

Offline Happylomo

« Reply #1305 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 00:57:19 »
Hey Zeal, when will you restock the tactile zealios? ;D

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1306 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 15:56:42 »

Zeal is planning do another group buy with new switches. I believe the tactile ones will come in variants of 65g, 67g, and 78g with different shades of purple for the stem to tell the difference. I can't help on the date side of things but I know there won't be a "re-stock" of the first round.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1307 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 18:18:09 »

Zeal is planning do another group buy with new switches. I believe the tactile ones will come in variants of 65g, 67g, and 78g with different shades of purple for the stem to tell the difference. I can't help on the date side of things but I know there won't be a "re-stock" of the first round.
Whoa. I'm so out of the loop. Sauce?

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1308 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 18:28:02 »

Sorry can't really provide a source, it was discussed in IRC. Hop in there some time to join in on all the fun. :p

Offline Grrizz

« Reply #1309 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 19:58:13 »

Zeal, any plans for a second run?  :cool:

Very soon^tm

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1310 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 20:48:05 »
I am so sad!  I sent all my switches,  and a Lightsaver board to Sethk for soldering,  and they and him have gone missing....  A aaarrrggg.....

Offline ari

« Reply #1311 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 05:21:55 »
OK -- finally have had time to put a report together.  My apologies for the delays; life is kind of chaotic lately.  I'll skip over some of the initial examination (tl;dr: switches are pretty clean in the short timescale) and get straight into the heart of the problem:

Here's the setup:  Scope hooked up to a Teensy, probing the switch and the uC output.
122353-0

Looking just at the janky setup.  Not a snowball's chance I'd do this for work, but these are slow signals with a pretty good voltage swing.
122355-1

With one keypress, we can easily see the problem: Early contact - 68ms before the main closure. That's WAY out of spec; there's a 5ms window for bounce; it is supposed to be stable after that point. Yellow trace: Switch. Green Trace: Microcontroller detection.
122357-2

Here's a different switch, showing not only an early closure (just over 70ms prior to main switch activation), it also shows a second activation after release. Mind you, these switches are unmodified, unsoldered, straight out of the shipping container. There's not a single controller that would think this is only one keypress. (Ignore the purple trace; it toggled every time through the main loop; I was curious.)
122359-3

With the stems at the lowest part of the tactile dip, you can see that the switch on the right (the good switch) is still open, while the switch on the left (the chattering switch) is CLOSED.
122361-4

This is what the switch SHOULD look like at this point -- there's a small gap, so it's still an open circuit.
122363-5

And here's what a chattering switch looks like:
122365-6

That difference is due to two things.  First, the length difference between the front of the stationary contact mount and the rear of the slider guide.  This accounts for up to 0.002 inches in my switches - smaller is better here:
122367-7

Secondly, the slider itself can vary slightly -- there appears to be a range of 0.003 inches in my switches.  Bigger is better here:
122369-8

... So that's the problem.  That's why hamfisted soldering can cause this.  That's why you can see this on factory-fresh switches.  That's why strict's fix works.  And that's why you'll never see this on linear Zealios.  :)

(I also put this on imgur so I'd have some time to write things up and try to present it all logically.  Some extra photos and setup and fluff at the link:  http://imgur.com/a/dLD6I )

« Last Edit: Thu, 31 December 2015, 05:52:46 by ari »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #1312 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 05:56:05 »
Zeal is planning do another group buy with new switches. I believe the tactile ones will come in variants of 65g, 67g, and 78g with different shades of purple for the stem to tell the difference.

78g, like the sound of that, bring it on  8) .

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #1313 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 10:13:37 »
OK -- finally have had time to put a report together.  My apologies for the delays; life is kind of chaotic lately.  I'll skip over some of the initial examination (tl;dr: switches are pretty clean in the short timescale) and get straight into the heart of the problem:

Here's the setup:  Scope hooked up to a Teensy, probing the switch and the uC output.
(Attachment Link)

Looking just at the janky setup.  Not a snowball's chance I'd do this for work, but these are slow signals with a pretty good voltage swing.
(Attachment Link)

With one keypress, we can easily see the problem: Early contact - 68ms before the main closure. That's WAY out of spec; there's a 5ms window for bounce; it is supposed to be stable after that point. Yellow trace: Switch. Green Trace: Microcontroller detection.
(Attachment Link)

Here's a different switch, showing not only an early closure (just over 70ms prior to main switch activation), it also shows a second activation after release. Mind you, these switches are unmodified, unsoldered, straight out of the shipping container. There's not a single controller that would think this is only one keypress. (Ignore the purple trace; it toggled every time through the main loop; I was curious.)
(Attachment Link)

With the stems at the lowest part of the tactile dip, you can see that the switch on the right (the good switch) is still open, while the switch on the left (the chattering switch) is CLOSED.
(Attachment Link)

This is what the switch SHOULD look like at this point -- there's a small gap, so it's still an open circuit.
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

That difference is due to two things.  First, the length difference between the front of the stationary contact mount and the rear of the slider guide.  This accounts for up to 0.002 inches in my switches - smaller is better here:
(Attachment Link)

Secondly, the slider itself can vary slightly -- there appears to be a range of 0.003 inches in my switches.  Bigger is better here:
(Attachment Link)

... So that's the problem.  That's why hamfisted soldering can cause this.  That's why you can see this on factory-fresh switches.  That's why strict's fix works.  And that's why you'll never see this on linear Zealios.  :)

(I also put this on imgur so I'd have some time to write things up and try to present it all logically.  Some extra photos and setup and fluff at the link:  http://imgur.com/a/dLD6I )

So what do you recommend we do to resolve or avoid the issue? Opening every switch and investigating sounds extremely tedious, but if it's the only option I'd like to know.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #1314 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 10:40:04 »
Thanks to ari's detailed reports he's provided to me over PM's, Round 2 Zealios will not have this issue. I've already forwarded his reports to Gateron, and they have said that they will address the problem by slightly adjusting the distance between the metal leaves. I'll be receiving some R2 samples in January, and will send a batch of switches to ari to confirm that there are no issues.

As for the <±0.005" tolerance, that's under the manufacturing spec.

I'd like to personally thank all supporters from the community that purchased Zealios directly or indirectly. Really looking forward for R2...(and R3 SoonTM) Sorry that Round 1 wasn't perfect, but without your guys' support, Zealios wouldn't have even happened! Gateron and I both desire for a 0 defect item and we truly hope we can deliver that starting next round.

Cheers to all, and have a Happy New Year everyone!

I'll actually have some R1 Zealios listed on my site again. Stay tuned, it'll be updated today.

Sorry if this question was brought up before, but how do linear Zealios compare with Gateron Black?

Also I was wondering if there's going to be a sale any time soon, wanted to buy or trade for a big pack of those :)

They've got a slightly lighter and cushiony spring force all the way down, not as hard IMO past the 2mm mark. They also have a warm fuzzy tone when you look at it! :D
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 December 2015, 15:41:41 by Zeal »
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1315 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 13:45:56 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Nice job man; why some switches do not show any early triggering? What is the manufacturing difference between the samples you analyzed and the others that do not have any issue?

Offline ari

« Reply #1316 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 15:40:25 »
Nice job man; why some switches do not show any early triggering? What is the manufacturing difference between the samples you analyzed and the others that do not have any issue?
I'm not entirely certain I'm answering your question, but it appears to be a combined effect resulting from miniscule (0.003in -- well below manufacturing tolerance) size differences in the stem and switch base.  I couldn't tell you where those differences come from, but since it all appears to be in the plastic components, a semi-educated guess would be differing rates of post-injection shrinkage or different physical dies.  I don't know enough about injection molding to give a better answer.  :(

So what do you recommend we do to resolve or avoid the issue? Opening every switch and investigating sounds extremely tedious, but if it's the only option I'd like to know.
Honestly?  Practice good soldering technique (to avoid any issues resulting from melting the plastic) and don't worry about it unless you notice a switch chattering.  If you do notice one, pop the top off and apply strict's fix -- https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74807.msg1923515#msg1923515

Cheers to all, and have a Happy New Year everyone!
Thank you, Zeal.  I really appreciate all the work you've put into these things, and I'm truly hoping that I've been able to help.  :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 December 2015, 15:42:17 by ari »

Offline wilarseny

« Reply #1317 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 17:15:20 »
Honestly?  Practice good soldering technique (to avoid any issues resulting from melting the plastic) and don't worry about it unless you notice a switch chattering.  If you do notice one, pop the top off and apply strict's fix -- https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74807.msg1923515#msg1923515

Just to add to this, so you don't have to go through the entire thread to check - there've been a lot of us, even beginner solderers like myself, who have had no chattering switches. Just seems to be a matter of luck as to what end of the tolerances your switches end up on but the % of problem switches seems pretty low for most.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1318 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 17:28:24 »
@ari, that makes sense, the transparent material should have lower melting point and higher contraction coefficient than the regular translucent one, that Gateron uses in all the other switches, if they use the same molds with different contraction coefficients that may result in out of tolerance parts.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #1319 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 19:23:55 »
@ari, that makes sense, the transparent material should have lower melting point and higher contraction coefficient than the regular translucent one, that Gateron uses in all the other switches, if they use the same molds with different contraction coefficients that may result in out of tolerance parts.

You can't use the same moulds for different plastics. I've mentioned it before -- Zealios consist of two new moulds that I had purchased and gotten made. One being the purple stem, the other being the bottom clear housing.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1320 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 19:47:51 »
@Zeal, I am sure you are already taking care of it, because that may indicate the need to double check the tolerances of the new molds if they were adjusted for the transparent material, as you mentioned before, you already informed your supplier about the issue.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #1321 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 20:21:21 »
@Zeal, I am sure you are already taking care of it, because that may indicate the need to double check the tolerances of the new molds if they were adjusted for the transparent material, as you mentioned before, you already informed your supplier about the issue.

Gateron will be adjusting the two contact leafs a tiny bit more to prevent possible chatter in future versions.
+/- 0.0508mm is unfortunately under the manufacturing tolerances of the moulds, so it's not currently possible to make any changes in that regard.

Offline ari

« Reply #1322 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 21:41:09 »
+/- 0.0508mm is unfortunately under the manufacturing tolerances of the moulds, so it's not currently possible to make any changes in that regard.

Yeah, no surprise there.  That's a pretty small difference to hold in a mold.

Quick update -- I was able to eliminate some chatter overall by another method:  Re-matching some of the chattering and non-chattering stems / lowers.  I found switches with the biggest gaps and traded sliders with switches that chatter.  In quite a few instances, I was able to start with a chattering switch and a non-chattering switch, and end up with two non-chattering switches.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #1323 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 01:49:05 »

Preparing for R2. 4 different shades of purple to differentiate the weights. 65g will remain current colour, the above 3 are new shades of purple. Names? :)

Offline WinterIsle

« Reply #1324 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 02:01:34 »
Left: Light Purple
Mid: Purple
Right: Dark Purple

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #1325 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 02:04:25 »
whatever you go with, one needs to be named cough syrup.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #1326 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 02:05:19 »
left = purple 1
mid = purple 2
right = purple 3

:D

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1327 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 02:39:58 »

This :blank:

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #1328 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 02:52:34 »

There's 4 purples though. D: 65g will keep the current purple, the above 3 shades are "new" shades. I'm thinking of naming the darkest one indigo.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #1329 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 03:23:09 »
Show Image

Preparing for R2. 4 different shades of purple to differentiate the weights. 65g will remain current colour, the above 3 are new shades of purple. Names? :)

Maybe it is way too early to ask the question when the R2 Zealios will become available? Still I can't resist to ask... Reason being I am contemplating installing the R2 version instead of R1 on my Orion V2 TKL...

Offline Zealousy

• Twitter
« Reply #1330 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 04:25:42 »
Zealio Light Urple
Zealio Purple
Zealio Royal Purple

Urple is not a typo.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1331 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 06:27:40 »

There's 4 purples though. D: 65g will keep the current purple, the above 3 shades are "new" shades. I'm thinking of naming the darkest one indigo.

How does the 65g stem compare to these then? Have I missed what weights these new shades are?

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #1332 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 06:50:53 »
Child in Time, Highway Star, Space Truckin' and Smoke on the Water

Offline w00zie

« Reply #1333 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 08:00:33 »
purp
purpl
purple
purpled

Offline diqkiq

« Reply #1334 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 08:19:38 »
Zurple
Purple
Purplos
Filco Majestouch TKL, Noppoo Choc Mini, Realforce 87 55g, Model M TKL, Ducky Shine 3 TKL, KC60, Planck.

Offline a-c

« Reply #1335 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 10:43:42 »
Tinky Winky
Dino
Barney
Grimace

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #1336 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 10:58:57 »
L to R:
Amethyst
Indigo
Violet
Royal or Eminence

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #1337 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 03:07:32 »
Purple
Purpler
Purplest
I-can't-believe-it's-not-purple

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #1338 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 08:46:28 »
"Red"
"Blue"
"Brown"
"Purple"
As long as it has the name Zealio in there, no-ones gonna confuse it with a Gateron or Cherry.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #1339 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 11:46:08 »
I'd just say dark or light zealios. Pretty simple.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1340 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 12:52:20 »
Purple Rain
Purple Haze
Purple Urkle
Purple Drank
Purple People Eater
Purple Kush
Purple Lurple

Periwinkle
Mauve
iris
violet
lilac
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 January 2016, 12:55:37 by Bromono »

Offline myotherteeshirt

« Reply #1341 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 10:23:48 »
Will the V2 zealios attempt to address the chattering issues as well as the wobblyness oobly described?

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1342 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 10:26:09 »
Will the V2 zealios attempt to address the chattering issues as well as the wobblyness oobly described?

Thanks to ari's detailed reports he's provided to me over PM's, Round 2 Zealios will not have this issue. I've already forwarded his reports to Gateron, and they have said that they will address the problem by slightly adjusting the distance between the metal leaves. I'll be receiving some R2 samples in January, and will send a batch of switches to ari to confirm that there are no issues.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #1343 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 10:31:32 »
Any chance at a stock tactile zealios at 60g or under in the future?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #1344 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 12:49:12 »

Not for R2, sorry.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #1345 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 12:53:32 »

Not for R2, sorry.

What are the switch weights going to be for round 2?

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #1346 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 13:11:19 »

Not for R2, sorry.

R3 possibly?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #1347 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 14:22:48 »

Not for R2, sorry.

62g, 65g, 67g, 78g

Not for R2, sorry.

R3 possibly?

Will depend on demand.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #1348 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 14:27:07 »

Not for R2, sorry.

62g, 65g, 67g, 78g

Count me in for 78g!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1349 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 14:57:37 »
Did I miss it somewhere but when is R2?