Author Topic: [IC] KAT Autumn - Time for Birbs! Updated Kits!  (Read 5686 times)

Offline GergWorst

[IC] KAT Autumn - Time for Birbs! Updated Kits!
« on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 10:25:25 »

KAT Autumn

IC Form Here: https://forms.gle/ftt983iQMgfDA8sRA

Discord Server
    Instagram

Introducing KAT Autumn

During the whole quarantine period, after settling GMK Bread, I logged in to Maplestory and wanted to take a break. But something about the colour way stuck with me, perhaps because I was looking at Handarbeit, and wanted to do something yellow/orange/red. At that point, I was also watching Chuggaaconroy play through Super Mario Galaxy 2, largely leaving it in the background while I did my work or played video games. There was the one mission with the Bird racing, and so, some renders and colour matching later, here’s what we got.

Why Birds

So I've been getting a ton of questions of why all the bird motifs this autumn themed set. Well, to be honest, when I first came up with the concept for this set, it generally centred around the birds as the main character in the novelties. I later chose the name autumn after including the rest of the novelties and figuring out the colourway.

Then, why autumn? In my head, when I think about autumn, I have something like this image in my head (apologies, it's a stock image)

Hence, birbs.

Colourway

I'm working on getting physical samples now for the set, already placed an order for the chips with Keyreative so I'm waiting for that. And while the lighting on the renders are a tad off, I'm looking for something darker like those shown in the kits.

Kits

*Am still working on a deskmat for the set. Give me a mo.

Kits Update 050920
    - Fixed small error in NorDeUK Kit of Euro Symbol
    - Added missing keys in NorDeUK Kit
    - Moved ISO Enter to Mods kits as per advised in the IC
    - Added Alt Graph to Text Mods
    - Added 1.25 Shift to all Mods
    - Added Ergo Kits

Stuff to fix
    - NorDeUK Kits - Still want to figure that one out a bit more, need to add a 1.25 shift and a couple of keys.

Board Renders

Renders by PachiSquid

Charlotte

Klippe

RAMA U-65

RAMA U-80

Vendors
    • North America: TBD
    • Canada: TBD
    • Europe: TBD
    • Asia: TBD, Probably ZFrontier
    • Oceania/SEA: TBD

Pricing
    Prices are in USD
      TBD

Collaborations
    Keymaker (JAK)’s Birb and Parakeyt
    RocketGruntJake, aka JAK, has agreed to work on a collaboration for the set and do a fulfilment sale of his Bird and Parakeyt for the set! A sample will be produced if this has garnered enough interest in the IC form.

Have a look at his work on https://www.keymaker.space/

Cables

TBD

Rama Keycap

TBD. If there is enough interest.

Special Thanks
    Thanks to PachiSquid for working with me on the novelties and the renders, Milan for helping me with the renders, and my girl for dealing with my obsession for plastic, resin, and metal rectangles.

To-Do
    • Deskmat - Finalise yay or nay + design
    • Artisan Collabs - Finalise yay or nay + design
    • Cable Collabs - Finalise yay or nay + design
    • RAMA Collabs - Finalise yay or nay + design
    • Colour Samples - Request from Keyreative
    *Currently in Contact with them. Colour samples have been requested
    • Find Vendors - Finalise yay or nay
    [/list][/list][/list]
    « Last Edit: Sat, 05 September 2020, 12:44:37 by GergWorst »

Offline cijanzen

Re: [IC] KAT Autumn - Time for Birbs!
    « Reply #1 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 10:29:07 »
    The render colours seem wildly different from the kit renders. Almost pastel looking whereas the kits look like more real autumn colours. I’d take a look at that and decide which direction you want to go in. Personally I’d appreciate the warmer and darker tones of the kit renders!

Offline yoot

• none
    « Reply #2 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 10:33:19 »
    This makes me feel warm and fuzzy. GLWIC!

Offline GergWorst

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 10:42:10 »
    The render colours seem wildly different from the kit renders. Almost pastel looking whereas the kits look like more real autumn colours. I’d take a look at that and decide which direction you want to go in. Personally I’d appreciate the warmer and darker tones of the kit renders!

Render colours were done under sunlight so the colours are a tad brighter. The orange should be RAL2007 as far as I'm aware.

Edit: Just saw your reference below. Will triple and quadruple check with the samples I've ordered
    « Last Edit: Sun, 30 August 2020, 11:07:54 by GergWorst »

Offline cijanzen

[IC] KAT Autumn - Time for Birbs!
    « Reply #4 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 10:48:27 »

Render colours were done under sunlight so the colours are a tad brighter. I've added the RAL palette to the post, but will do a quick graphic on them in a bit
    Are you sure about RAL 2007? That’s “Luminous Bright Orange” and doesn’t look like either your kits or the renders.

Edit: Actually it does look similar to the web representation of the RAL 2007 colour but the web colour doesn’t represent the real colour very well.
    « Last Edit: Sun, 30 August 2020, 10:55:16 by cijanzen »

Offline GergWorst

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 10:55:05 »

Render colours were done under sunlight so the colours are a tad brighter. I've added the RAL palette to the post, but will do a quick graphic on them in a bit
    Are you sure about RAL 2007? That’s “Luminous Bright Orange” and doesn’t look like either your kits or the renders.

It fits the kits from what I'm checking, and the bit of yellow from the warm lighting used in the renders by Pachi offsets it a bit. I'm waiting to confirm colour samples with Keyreative (they've already been ordered) to make sure it's correct.

Here's a reference - https://www.colorabout.com/color/hex/ffa420/

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 10:59:01 »

It fits the kits from what I'm checking, and the bit of yellow from the warm lighting used in the renders by Pachi offsets it a bit. I'm waiting to confirm colour samples with Keyreative (they've already been ordered) to make sure it's correct.

See my edit. If they’re referencing the real RAL 2007 colour you’re going to end up with a very different colour.

That’s just with a phone so even that doesn’t convey the real colour properly but you get the idea.

Offline GergWorst

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 11:05:56 »

Thanks. Will have a look to make sure everything turns out well.

Offline robots4dancing

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 11:52:38 »
    Hell yeah, Team Fall lets go!

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 12:23:50 »
    If the colors are going to be those seen on cijanzen's RAL cards, I'm in and I'll figure the board out later.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
    « Reply #10 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 13:41:32 »
    Birbs 😍

Not a fan of the green accents, but the other colors are gorgeous.

Offline Valynar

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 15:41:01 »
    I agree with other comments: you should make a choice between pastel colors or more pronounced, harder colors.  I love those novelties by the way... Really looking forward where you take the set.

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
    « Reply #12 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 16:27:20 »
    Sorry for being picky, but my daughter's middle name is Autumn, my company name has "Autumn" in it, and Autumn is my favorite season for a lot of reasons. Maplestory is also a game I have a particular history with.
    I was hoping for a little more put into this, to be honest.

Question:
    Why birds?
    If you're in a place that has an actual Autumn/Fall season, then birds are leaving to warmer climates and not nesting and laying eggs. Birds (sparrows) that do travel to places like the Pacific Northwest, are there to be more near the coast, where there is soft ground for probing.
    The apples and pumpkins make sense because September/October is harvest time for those, but I don't get the lovebird references. That's pretty much Spring, right?

Also, the colors are too saturated for me and don't remind me of Autumn or Maplestory.
    Something more like the colors in the background for this picture would evoke that feeling, but it's your set and design.
    « Last Edit: Sun, 30 August 2020, 16:33:33 by Jaxxstatic »

Offline MKUltraCorp

• MKUltra Corporation
    « Reply #13 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 18:40:30 »
    How can you use a Boardwalk for your hero image and not offer an ergo kit??

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
      • Keyboard-related resources.
    « Reply #14 on: Thu, 03 September 2020, 11:47:33 »
    Not that I mean to complain (who am I kidding here?), but...

The NorDeUk kits seem problematic: the Y and Z caps have APL legends for no reason, the AltGr keycaps are nowhere to be found (although this isn't as bad as...) and so are the 1.25U Shift keys. I also miss the key.

I'll check later the rest of the "international" kits, but I'm not sure those problems aren't the only ones there are.

GLWIC!