Author Topic: [GB] GMK Carbon R2 (FINISHED)  (Read 116486 times)

Offline mimalik

Re: [GB] GMK Carbon R2
« Reply #250 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 15:56:09 »
So far no emails on kit cancelations, dont want to jinx it but so far so good:)

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #251 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 16:08:55 »
I was having some issues earlier with the drop, my account, and payment issues. While talking to MD I asked what the deal was with all of the sets (which ones were getting made even though they didn't hit MOQ, etc) since I was charged for all of them and got this response

As to the second question,  GMK Electronic Design GMBH is a reputable firm known for quality and design. We will have to see what happens during the manufacturing process. I wish I had a better answer.

So pretty much in line with what has been discussed.

Something else I thought was interesting. We aren't getting the 150 price break for Salty. I showed the guy I was talking to the picture that had the most up to date/recent information about how many/what sets were sold, and what MOQs/price drops were hit.

Show Image

So that picture clearly shows that 193 Salty kits were sold - and that the price break of 29.99 was reached. However, when I asked the guy why I was charged 34.99 I received this answer:

When the drop page was written it didn't really clarify it as much as I would have hoped.

So, there are two additional kits, both in the color "salty" basically two different runs of manufacture.
When the manufacturer has to change from one style or color to another that takes time and resources. That's why they offer the discount when they reach a quantity threshold because of the reduced cost in not having to switch thing up as much. Make sense?    So, for the discount to apply each style/ color would need to hit that threshold. Since one hit 113 and the other 79, neither hit the 150 needed to apply a discount to either style.

It's only 5$ so I'm not too worried about it. Just figured I would share though because it seemed kind of weird.

I think there is some confusion. I'll be checking through everything on Monday and syncing with the support team on all these.

If price breaks are achieved we'll honor them of course.

This is a great response, but at the same time it doesn't answer the fundamental question...

Is there or isn't there 2 separate kits? And if there is 2 separate kits, why were the 2 separate kits advertised as such?

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #252 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 23:45:06 »
I was having some issues earlier with the drop, my account, and payment issues. While talking to MD I asked what the deal was with all of the sets (which ones were getting made even though they didn't hit MOQ, etc) since I was charged for all of them and got this response

As to the second question,  GMK Electronic Design GMBH is a reputable firm known for quality and design. We will have to see what happens during the manufacturing process. I wish I had a better answer.

So pretty much in line with what has been discussed.

Something else I thought was interesting. We aren't getting the 150 price break for Salty. I showed the guy I was talking to the picture that had the most up to date/recent information about how many/what sets were sold, and what MOQs/price drops were hit.

Show Image

So that picture clearly shows that 193 Salty kits were sold - and that the price break of 29.99 was reached. However, when I asked the guy why I was charged 34.99 I received this answer:

When the drop page was written it didn't really clarify it as much as I would have hoped.

So, there are two additional kits, both in the color "salty" basically two different runs of manufacture.
When the manufacturer has to change from one style or color to another that takes time and resources. That's why they offer the discount when they reach a quantity threshold because of the reduced cost in not having to switch thing up as much. Make sense?    So, for the discount to apply each style/ color would need to hit that threshold. Since one hit 113 and the other 79, neither hit the 150 needed to apply a discount to either style.

It's only 5$ so I'm not too worried about it. Just figured I would share though because it seemed kind of weird.

I think there is some confusion. I'll be checking through everything on Monday and syncing with the support team on all these.

If price breaks are achieved we'll honor them of course.

This is a great response, but at the same time it doesn't answer the fundamental question...

Is there or isn't there 2 separate kits? And if there is 2 separate kits, why were the 2 separate kits advertised as such?

There is only 1 kit. I forgot to adjust the price on the back end when I updated the numbers and that's why the amount charged does not reflect the price break. Don't worry, we'll get it all sorted.

Yes, I work at MD (as of October).

Offline Daggerfall

« Reply #253 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 05:53:41 »
If anyone winds up with an extra NorDeUK kit, I'd be more than willing to buy it off them.

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #254 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 17:19:35 »
Just an small update from Yanbo.

Quote from: Yanbo
Hey quick note to everyone while everyone is waiting.

I'm still sorting through the various kits to see what we can make happen and what's actually to far away. We'll have an update out to everyone affected soon. There are quite a few factors to consider so it's taking a bit longer than usual.

Thank you for your patience in the meantime!

Regarding Salty Kit - i think there was a price error and we'll get everyone  a refund if that was the case. I'd like to get everything addressed together so nothing has happened here even though it's very cut and dried.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #255 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 19:32:07 »
pls pls make bone alpha and bone mods. Pls

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #257 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 22:25:50 »
Warning Signs number row and Cadet!!! Please!!

Offline mimalik

« Reply #258 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 15:05:38 »
The update from Yanbo is making me nervous, esp for my beloved Beezarre kit. Still being optimistic that all the kits will get picked up.

Offline snelltrail

« Reply #259 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 18:59:49 »
The update from Yanbo is making me nervous, esp for my beloved Beezarre kit. Still being optimistic that all the kits will get picked up.

Also really hoping that Beezarre gets made!

Offline Lormania

« Reply #260 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 10:56:12 »
I'm looking forward to seeing which make it. Hope we find out before the weekend or I won't stop thinking about it haha
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 December 2018, 11:02:09 by Lormania »

Offline silversung

« Reply #261 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 17:32:16 »
Got the partial refund for Salty Kit notice. Now wondering if space kit will make it..

Offline polarsolar

« Reply #262 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 18:32:24 »
I just got a message from MD saying the DC kit didn't make it.

For what it's worth, I also ordered spacebars and number row warning signs (and bones base + bone icon mods), and this message only mentioned the DC kit.  That's not a confirmation that the other kits made it, but FYI.

The email only offered the options to stay in for all the remaining kits or to cancel the whole order. I sent a message back asking whether I can keep some kits and drop others -- fingers crossed.

Offline sujikinen

« Reply #263 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 19:09:22 »
I got it too,that's a really bad news for me :'(

Offline mimalik

« Reply #264 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 19:52:52 »

For what it's worth, I also ordered spacebars and number row warning signs (and bones base + bone icon mods), and this message only mentioned the DC kit.  That's not a confirmation that the other kits made it, but FYI.

The email only offered the options to stay in for all the remaining kits or to cancel the whole order. I sent a message back asking whether I can keep some kits and drop others -- fingers crossed.

Did they give you option to select from other kits which will be made? If yes then which kits were offered?

Offline mimalik

« Reply #265 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 19:54:19 »

Did they give you option to select from other kits which will be made? If yes then which kits were offered?

Lol upon reading your post again..... ignore my query.

Offline polarsolar

« Reply #266 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 12:17:07 »

:D

Support just emailed and manually changed which kits I'm getting in the drop, so that's an option. I didn't ask for a full list of what's getting made and didn't ask to add any other kits -- sorry, no added info there.  I'm still in for spacebars, bone icon mods, and R1 warning signs.

Offline mimalik

« Reply #267 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 12:29:01 »
It appears that so far only NorDeUK (from MD portal comments) and DC kits are the casualty. Anyone got email for kit cancellation?? This suspense is killing me, since drop end I am checking GH and MD portal every 10 mins.

Offline slom

« Reply #268 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 14:30:54 »
It appears that so far only NorDeUK (from MD portal comments) and DC kits are the casualty. Anyone got email for kit cancellation?? This suspense is killing me, since drop end I am checking GH and MD portal every 10 mins.

I still have a few international kits, if someone from Europe is interested. I have a FS thread on DT if you want pictures.

edit: hope it is ok to "advertise" here. I deliberately waited until the drop is over. If not tell me and I will remove this.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 December 2018, 14:58:12 by slom »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #269 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 14:38:37 »
Guess no news is good news?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #270 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 14:47:36 »
From all the kits only NorDeUK and DC Kit are discarded. So for some people these are definitely bad news :(

Everything else will be made ;)

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #271 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 14:49:05 »
From all the kits only NorDeUK and DC Kit are discarded. So for some people these are definitely bad news :(

amazing.

Offline rondg

« Reply #272 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 14:50:02 »

Bone kits! Very nice!

Offline bobdenard

Re: [GB] GMK Carbon R2 (CLOSED)
« Reply #273 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 14:53:47 »
Great! Couldn’t buy everything I wanted this time, here’s hoping I can get the rest during keycaps recap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #274 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 15:32:49 »
Very exciting most of the stuff is getting made!!!

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #275 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 16:38:06 »
Holy cow, thats nuts i have some real unicorn pieces coming my way then, wish i had bought more of each now.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #276 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 16:39:33 »
The masses will be creaming their panties when they see how good bone kits look.  Really glad they went through.  Woohoo!

Offline mimalik

« Reply #277 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 17:12:35 »
The masses will be creaming their panties when they see how good bone kits look.  Really glad they went through.  Woohoo!

I have same feeling about Umka, Cadet and Beezarre. Just the combination possibilities with Space Cadet, Calm Depths...woot woot

T0mb3ry, please no more GMK Carbon drops, atleast not with the options we had in this one. We all showed our commitments and love for this innovative drop. We should have privilege of having these unicorns to ourselves.

Offline mimalik

« Reply #278 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 17:25:13 »
Check out Umka with SC Blue Alphas... courtesy of Oblotzky https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96869.150
In my humble opinion Umka was star of this drop besides R0/5 keys. And I am just nuts for anything orange.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #279 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 17:45:13 »
T0mb3ry, please no more GMK Carbon drops, atleast not with the options we had in this one. We all showed our commitments and love for this innovative drop. We should have privilege of having these unicorns to ourselves.

The sheer amount of options is that made this drop struggle. So in this regard do not worry. I will not offer a GMK set with this variety of  keys and kits again. Things like warning signs in Bone colors will not be offered again. Also the strict R0 and R5 combination is going to be unique for round 2. I might (definitely not guaranteed) offer R0 or R5 only as addon kit (and probably not the r0/r5 combo but more single rows) again but that will cost a fortune if you think about that the upgrade kit costs around 130$. Splitted it will cost even more. Also to pull Umka or Bone as single drops is at this current moment unrealistically, because of the custom colors which will set up the MOQ at 250 and because Bone and Umka are niche inside a niche. So basically, including Bone and Umka in this drop was the only chance to work around the 250 MOQ (tho Bone was at 250 MOQ too but i expected it to do better) for custom colors. So overall those who picked Bones and especially Umka made a safe choice if it comes to rarity. Tho rarity does not make it any greater and honestly i wish people buy my sets for their personal needs.

But anyway if next GMK Carbon R3 happens (IF is the biggest question and it will definitely not happen any time soon - definitely not in 2 years) then the R3 will be by far smaller, with minimum variety and with R1 function / R4 bottom rows. So some keys and some combinations are definitely unique to R2 and it was the only chance to get those ;) Some people might think now i am causing artificial scarcity. No its not! Its real scarcity because of the fact that such things are not feasible to realize given the reality, what simple designs are really hard to pull off because those do not sell in reasonable quantities.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 December 2018, 17:51:04 by T0mb3ry »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #280 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 20:47:15 »
Show Image

The sheer amount of options is that made this drop struggle. So in this regard do not worry. I will not offer a GMK set with this variety of  keys and kits again. Things like warning signs in Bone colors will not be offered again. Also the strict R0 and R5 combination is going to be unique for round 2. I might (definitely not guaranteed) offer R0 or R5 only as addon kit (and probably not the r0/r5 combo but more single rows) again but that will cost a fortune if you think about that the upgrade kit costs around 130$. Splitted it will cost even more. Also to pull Umka or Bone as single drops is at this current moment unrealistically, because of the custom colors which will set up the MOQ at 250 and because Bone and Umka are niche inside a niche. So basically, including Bone and Umka in this drop was the only chance to work around the 250 MOQ (tho Bone was at 250 MOQ too but i expected it to do better) for custom colors. So overall those who picked Bones and especially Umka made a safe choice if it comes to rarity. Tho rarity does not make it any greater and honestly i wish people buy my sets for their personal needs.

But anyway if next GMK Carbon R3 happens (IF is the biggest question and it will definitely not happen any time soon - definitely not in 2 years) then the R3 will be by far smaller, with minimum variety and with R1 function / R4 bottom rows. So some keys and some combinations are definitely unique to R2 and it was the only chance to get those ;) Some people might think now i am causing artificial scarcity. No its not! Its real scarcity because of the fact that such things are not feasible to realize given the reality, what simple designs are really hard to pull off because those do not sell in reasonable quantities.

So glad bone alpha and bone mods made it. I love bone color options so much.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #281 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 20:48:29 »

I got all the bone stuff. So amazing

Offline 112227

« Reply #282 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 22:52:42 »
also got bone. HYPE.

Offline xarkkon

« Reply #283 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 09:15:15 »
Didn't come into the set because of pricing, but was very close to pulling on Bones + Bones Alpha + Rolling Bones. Very happy that those are coming through. Looking forward to seeing everyone's beautiful sets!

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #284 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 10:12:37 »
Just to know, did you guys got the $10 coupon bundled with the set from MD? 

Offline fireworm

« Reply #285 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 10:19:16 »
I believe you mean Umka-ing?

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #286 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 10:57:15 »

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #287 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 11:19:57 »

If its anything like the ones that I received, it's not a coupon as such, but a credit on the next thing you buy.  You can see it by joining a drop, and checking to see if the -$10 credit is there.  You don't have to complete the drop after that.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #288 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 11:27:33 »

I have 2 orders and got one coupon

Offline fer.real

« Reply #289 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 11:47:30 »

I don't think they've awarded the credits yet.  At least I haven't received it.

I asked about it on Massdrop.  https://www.massdrop.com/buy/69296/talk/2282124

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #290 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 11:48:53 »

I don't think they've awarded the credits yet.  At least I haven't received it.

I asked about it on Massdrop.  https://www.massdrop.com/buy/69296/talk/2282124

Then I guess it might have been the credits from the delay of xda canvas

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #291 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 13:14:28 »
I believe you mean Umka-ing?

Yes, Umka-ing.  my bad.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #292 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 18:50:53 »
also got bone. HYPE.

Boner bone bone bone

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #293 on: Sat, 15 December 2018, 19:48:10 »
Would i be able to use a R1 Norde kit on this round?

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #294 on: Sat, 15 December 2018, 19:50:16 »

Profile wise yes. Color wise, should also be the case. GMK is pretty good with creating the same colors accurately every time, unlike SP where you will always notice a difference in shades when they use a different batch of resin. While nobody can guarantee it, I would personally say you should be very safe to do so.

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #295 on: Sat, 15 December 2018, 20:04:20 »

Profile wise yes. Color wise, should also be the case. GMK is pretty good with creating the same colors accurately every time, unlike SP where you will always notice a difference in shades when they use a different batch of resin. While nobody can guarantee it, I would personally say you should be very safe to do so.

Cheers mate! :-*

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #296 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 08:19:45 »
If you want to use ISO DE then you will be missing two keys ('# and *+~). Those keys were part of the R1 base set and thus were not included in the NorDeUK kit of R1.

Otherwise the colors should match R1 and vice versa.

Offline kitchenace13

« Reply #297 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 18:11:52 »
Quick questions that someone can hopefully confirm?
  • Did the space kit make it into the group buy?
  • It looks like the spacekit has 2.25 and 2.75 convex spacebars (listed as R4c) (https://i.imgur.com/ww0DZLQ.png)?  Has GMK confirmed they've produced those new molds?

Thanks so much! 

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #298 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 18:42:18 »
  • It looks like the spacekit has 2.25 and 2.75 convex spacebars (listed as R4c) (https://i.imgur.com/ww0DZLQ.png)?  Has GMK confirmed they've produced those new molds?

Thanks so much!

Yes and they've confirmed they will make the keys, if they've made the molds yet I don't think anyone can know.

« Last Edit: Thu, 20 December 2018, 18:44:45 by Acereconkeys »
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #299 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 21:08:10 »

Thanks so much!

Only two kits didn’t make it: NorDeUK and Colevrak