Author Topic: OL DAC from JDS Labs  (Read 5316 times)

Offline Tactile

OL DAC from JDS Labs
« on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 10:49:25 »
I got my OL DAC from JDS labs the other day. Has anyone else tried one of these? Has anyone installed the filter switch?

Here's an astonishingly lousy photo.
175207-0
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 August 2017, 15:49:41 by Tactile »
REΛLFORCE

Offline ika

Re: OL DAC from JDS Labs
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 11:39:03 »
Looks nice. I need a dac upgrade for my M^3. How different is this from the ODAC besides the addition of optical? It seems to be better due to addition of power via wallwart but it's cheaper for some reason.

Found the answer to this vs ODAC: http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=1391

ODAC was interesting five years ago for its claim of transparency at only $149. DAC performance and features improve every year; OL DAC is the logical successor. While there’s no need for “greater transparency”, few can argue with getting more for less. There remains one potential advantage to choose a Standalone ODAC–running from USB power can be useful in certain scenarios. Thus, we decided to maintain ODAC and OL DAC concurrently. Confusing? Yes, sorry about that.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 August 2017, 11:42:53 by ika »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 12:32:23 »
I think Noise isolation is extremely important.   as is crosstalk

But as for THD,  Dynamic Range,  Noise,     This stuff kind of goes out the window because subwoofers are only 50-70% accurate

And they don't really hand out tools to tune the system you buy.  making the whole endeavor  Without Reference..

Offline Tactile

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 14:57:22 »
Looks nice. I need a dac upgrade for my M^3. How different is this from the ODAC besides the addition of optical? It seems to be better due to addition of power via wallwart but it's cheaper for some reason.

Found the answer to this vs ODAC: http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=1391

ODAC was interesting five years ago for its claim of transparency at only $149. DAC performance and features improve every year; OL DAC is the logical successor. While there’s no need for “greater transparency”, few can argue with getting more for less. There remains one potential advantage to choose a Standalone ODAC–running from USB power can be useful in certain scenarios. Thus, we decided to maintain ODAC and OL DAC concurrently. Confusing? Yes, sorry about that.
There's all that and also the AK4490EQ DAC chip. Teac chose this DAC chip for this baby ...and I'm sure I wouldn't be able to hear a difference between the two.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Tactile

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 18:11:30 »
I Installed the filter switch and any difference in sound in the different switch positions is so subtle I can't hear it. If anyone is considering doing this mod my advice would be not to bother.
REΛLFORCE