Author Topic: Name changes - so many.  (Read 2827 times)

Offline jamster

Name changes - so many.
« on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 04:14:02 »
Keep seeing "<User X> is now know as <User Y>" on these forums.  Never seen such a constant trickle of name changes across any other forum I've been a member of.

Kind of wondering... why? Why do users here care what their handles are enough to want to change? Or is it that it's a totally normal thing, but that other forums just don't allow it, or handle it in a much more low-key manner?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Name changes - so many.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 06:33:43 »
Prolly cuz they iz ask too many gekha female out , now they broke up, then they be like all embarrased , but they're still addicted to keyboards and can't leave.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 07:43:29 »
I find it annoying when users change even their thumbnail. It throws me off. In this setting all of that is your identity. When you change it it's a bit jarring for the rest of us because we associate the user with the name and the pic. Then we almost have to get to know them all over again.

Prolly cuz they iz ask too many gekha female out , now they broke up, then they be like all embarrased , but they're still addicted to keyboards and can't leave.

lol

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 06:22:17 »
TP probably hit the nail on the head there. You encounter a lot of weirdness I'd an ex logged into all my accounts started sending messages. Had to change passwords etc.

Offline yui

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 06:34:53 »
i guess also some peoples get ashamed of who they were and of that name, and also here it is announced i have seen a few forums where it is not so you do not see it.
although, for example, now i know that yui is a female Japanese name, and i am neither, when i started using that name online i did not but i keep on using the name for continuity sake so that peoples do not get lost but i am pretty sure that upon learning that some would change it.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 09:31:59 »
I don't get it, I've stuck with this as my identifier for over a decade now.  I don't get it how people can change so many times - only time I've done a name change is on PSN to mess with friends - back in the days when PSN was free. 

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Kavik

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 14:16:32 »
I find it annoying when users change even their thumbnail. It throws me off. In this setting all of that is your identity. When you change it it's a bit jarring for the rest of us because we associate the user with the name and the pic. Then we almost have to get to know them all over again.

lol

With the exception of a few people, I identify users solely by their avatars. When someone changes his picture, I lose all frame of reference for who that user is, unless it's something very similar à la Puddsy or Romevi. I need to get better at reading names.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline yui

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 03:18:41 »
With the exception of a few people, I identify users solely by their avatars. When someone changes his picture, I lose all frame of reference for who that user is, unless it's something very similar à la Puddsy or Romevi. I need to get better at reading names.
peoples without pictures are a pain for you?

Offline iri

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 05:59:49 »
pewpew473829, formerly known as thatdude4732

can't you see the importance of such name changes
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline yui

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 06:38:02 »
pewpew473829, formerly known as thatdude4732

can't you see the importance of such name changes
well yeah if he/she does not identify as a gun/sci-fi lover but instead as a random dude with names like ours that are not obviously a reference to something it makes no sense but if cute_girl99<3 want to stop being asked out by every other dude on the internet she may have a valid point to change her name (ok i assumed that someone called cute_girl is female, i know that it is not likely the case)
your online name is meant to represent you, if it does not anymore then it makes sense to change it i can see how young peoples may change it quite a bit more often.

Offline jamster

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 07:07:30 »
My username was arrived at probably after tens seconds of thought... I don't use it anywhere else, and if I took the time to sit back and think about it, it sounds kinda stupid, like a reference to some 70s American sitcom character (I am not familiar with Americana TV shows, but this is the impression I'd get from the name). It's not what I would choose if I were starting a new account here.

Still, until this conversation it's never even occurred to me to try to change it. Admins have enough to do already. And because... I just don't feel that an internet handle represents me in any meaningful way.

jamsterBiggusDikcus
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 November 2020, 07:09:34 by jamster »

Offline Kavik

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 11:21:59 »

People without pictures are the very few whose names I read.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 12:00:04 »

Luckily for you my handle is the same as my avatar. You're welcome.

Offline yui

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 26 November 2020, 01:13:46 »

so then if i were to put a profile picture it would annoy you? i am actually curious because i was wondering if at this point it would be more confusing to peoples or not.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 26 November 2020, 10:05:32 »
When I first joined I used my actual name and a picture of my face.

Within about a week or 2, I contacted iMav and changed to my current persona. It is coming up on 10 years and I have not felt any need to change.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline jamster

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 26 November 2020, 19:29:50 »
When I first joined I used my actual name and a picture of my face.

Within about a week or 2, I contacted iMav and changed to my current persona. It is coming up on 10 years and I have not felt any need to change.

Did that profile also contain the coordinates for Tennessee?  :)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 27 November 2020, 08:52:36 »

Did that profile also contain the coordinates for Tennessee?

No, I moved to Tennessee from Georgia about a year ago. Coordinates to degrees-minutes-seconds accuracy usually get within a few hundred meters of my actual residence, but while an additional decimal point would locate the house exactly, I avoid doing that.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 27 November 2020, 11:00:14 »

No, I moved to Tennessee from Georgia about a year ago. Coordinates to degrees-minutes-seconds accuracy usually get within a few hundred meters of my actual residence, but while an additional decimal point would locate the house exactly, I avoid doing that.

Google map pinpoint saved as 'fohat's digs'

Edit: Not actually  :eek:
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 November 2020, 15:48:14 by ddrfraser1 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 27 November 2020, 15:55:48 »

Google map pinpoint saved as 'fohat's digs'

Edit: Not actually  :eek:

/Nuclear launch detected.....