Author Topic: CHERRY switches have NEW stems, supersmooth!  (Read 127394 times)

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
Re: CHERRY switches have NEW stems, supersmooth!
« Reply #250 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 07:09:15 »
I have no idea if this is part of Cherry's retooling, or just an unannounced update, but Cherry MX Whites are now radically different from the old versions. They don't have the inconsistency issues that old versions used to have. They also have gold plated springs that bottom out at 62g in a linear switch (I'm guessing that the actuation is still 55g as before).

I bought mine from Sennin32 on eBay.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #251 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 18:33:12 »
I have no idea if this is part of Cherry's retooling, or just an unannounced update, but Cherry MX Whites are now radically different from the old versions. They don't have the inconsistency issues that old versions used to have. They also have gold plated springs that bottom out at 62g in a linear switch (I'm guessing that the actuation is still 55g as before).

Well that's interesting.

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #252 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 19:43:16 »

Well that's interesting.

Yup, certainly is.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline Sempre

« Reply #253 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 08:17:08 »
My current clears are a pain when removing keycaps since they're very tight. Did anyone try new Clears and noticed a difference in this regard?

Offline cozycat

« Reply #254 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 00:14:41 »
Have all switches been retooled? I'm interested in trying Nature Whites, but not if they're using the old tooling...

Offline robbles

« Reply #255 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 10:34:02 »
Have all switches been retooled? I'm interested in trying Nature Whites, but not if they're using the old tooling...

They always used the new tooling.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #256 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 10:37:37 »

They always used the new tooling.

Racist against colored old tools..

Offline Zhuni

« Reply #257 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 04:51:00 »
Not impressed with the new reds. But also they still suffer from some of the switches having that creaky spring feeling in some keys like every other Mx board I've owned. Something I never have on Gaterons and the smoothness isn't even close.
[sigpic] [/sigpic]
KBC Poker

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #258 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 06:30:11 »
Not impressed with the new reds. But also they still suffer from some of the switches having that creaky spring feeling in some keys like every other Mx board I've owned. Something I never have on Gaterons and the smoothness isn't even close.
Interesting. I found new MX Blacks to be smoother than Gateron Yellows.

Although several of the MX Blacks had creaky springs, where none of the Gaterons suffered.

Offline Zhuni

« Reply #259 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 06:24:21 »
Yeah it's the creaky springs that bug me the most especially if one is on the WASD as I really feel it in games. Why does cherry have that not Gaterons? I've had 10+ cherry boards which always have atleast 6-7 keys like that. And the two Gateron boards have been perfect.
[sigpic] [/sigpic]
KBC Poker

Offline kconfire

« Reply #260 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 12:31:44 »
My new Cherry MX blacks are much more refined/smoother than the old "NIB vintage Wyse keyboard switches."
I am upset that now I have to throw out 2 NIB Wyse keyboards with a bunch of PCB mounted vintage cherry blacks that are nasty and don't have much merit now.. lol
[Collection] Monokei Kei SE, Realforce R2 TKL, Leopold FC660C
[Soon TM] Monokei Tomo SE, GSKT-00

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #261 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 15:27:19 »
My new Cherry MX blacks are much more refined/smoother than the old "NIB vintage Wyse keyboard switches."
I am upset that now I have to throw out 2 NIB Wyse keyboards with a bunch of PCB mounted vintage cherry blacks that are nasty and don't have much merit now.. lol
Don't throw them out, I'm sure someone would buy them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #262 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 13:28:57 »
Are these the new/same blacks that you're talking about?

http://cherryamericas.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/EN_CHERRY_MX1A-2xxx.pdf

Who sells them?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #263 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 14:53:05 »

Who sells them?

Those are just cherry gray switches which are heavier than blacks, they aren't new.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #264 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 14:54:52 »

Who sells them?

Those are just cherry gray switches which are heavier than blacks, they aren't new.

Woops, copied wrong link.. how about these - http://cherryamericas.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/EN_CHERRY_MX1A-1xxx.pdf

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #265 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 15:10:18 »

Who sells them?

Woops, copied wrong link.. how about these - http://cherryamericas.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/EN_CHERRY_MX1A-1xxx.pdf

I honestly have no idea.

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #266 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 20:48:29 »
Cherry may have refreshed their molds but the "new" switches are not being sold under a different part number. They are not differentiating "new" and "old" stems. When stock of older switches is gone I would imagine all newer cherry switches will be using the new molds.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #267 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 11:12:18 »
Cherry may have refreshed their molds but the "new" switches are not being sold under a different part number. They are not differentiating "new" and "old" stems. When stock of older switches is gone I would imagine all newer cherry switches will be using the new molds.

Good point

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #268 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 14:55:42 »
Think I want to try the new blacks with 62g's. Anyone know where to buy the newer-molded black switches?

Offline Soo8

• Mice enthusiast.
« Reply #269 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 14:56:50 »
I read the thread and still can't quite make out the details of what is the better option. Gateron Reds or these new retooled Cherry Reds? Some say that the gaterons are still smoother but a bit more wobbly, some say that the new cherries are smoother. So what's it? Which of the two is the better option? I'm planning to buy a tada68 kit, are cherries worth the extra 20$?
All PBT, all the time.
KC60\\Kailh Silver\\npkc classic pbt
Novatouch\\homemade silencing rings\\enjoypbt blank

Offline kconfire

« Reply #270 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 21:56:43 »
Think I want to try the new blacks with 62g's. Anyone know where to buy the newer-molded black switches?

I've been buying new Cherry MX Blacks (plate mounted) from SwitchTop.
My LZ-CLS will also have the new Cherry MX Blacks with 60g springs :)
[Collection] Monokei Kei SE, Realforce R2 TKL, Leopold FC660C
[Soon TM] Monokei Tomo SE, GSKT-00

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #271 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 13:27:06 »

Good point

I confirmed this with Cherry Corp. Any MX switches you purchase now use the new stem (as long as you're not buying old stock).
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 August 2017, 13:31:29 by digi »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #272 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 16:34:10 »
now how in the heck do you know if it is old stock or not.  Just have to rely on the vendor to know i guess.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #273 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 16:41:25 »
now how in the heck do you know if it is old stock or not.  Just have to rely on the vendor to know i guess.

wait 5 years, they run out by then.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #274 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 16:46:51 »
Switchtop is selling guaranteed re-tooled MX Blacks, Blues, and Browns.

If you're looking for a really smooth linear the Kailh BOX Black's are even smoother and less wobbly. Although aftermarket springs are not fully compatible.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #275 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 17:36:10 »

wait 5 years, they run out by then.

Yeah, I would go with a someone who you think moves a lot of volume like Digi-Key or Mouser...or that SwitchTop place that confirms they're the new ones..

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #276 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 10:26:33 »
I've recently purchased on amazon a g80-1800 with black switches. Imagine my suprise when I discovered that it was in ANSI layout (instead of ISO), and it had the smoothest black switches that I've ever tried. There is an enormous difference between those switches and my old g80-3000 and g80-1800. In my opinion they are gateron smooth, without the wobble.

I've opened some of the new switches and replaced the stem of an old switch with the stem of a new one. The switch stays smooth also in the new housing. So the difference is in the stem. When you compare a new switch to the old one, you can definetely see that the sides are smoother, and that on the back of the stem there is a smaller gap, which is identical to the new silent switch.

new switch on the left, old switch on the right:

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
the stem of the new cherry mx silent is identical to the new cherry mx black that I have at hand, so the use the same very smooth cast.

(Attachment Link)
here you can see the old linear stems. Look at the stem of reds and blacks, you can clearly the differences between the old reds/ blacks, and the new silent switch, which is identical to the new black that I own :thumb:

Looking at your picture of the new stems, you'll see a small little nub in the middle of the indentation on the top of the stem. From your pictures, it appears the picture of the old blacks don't have that, if that's one of the differentiating factors, I can confirm the mx blacks from Digikey are the new blacks (new molds).

Offline Altis

« Reply #277 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 14:21:17 »
Still trying to decide some MX switches for my WhiteFox. I'm curious how the retooled MX browns are. I have the older ones in my DAS and they're okay but noticeably gritty.

So many options make it difficult to decide. I much prefer the sound of Cherry switches though in general but just wish they were more smooth. Also considering the retooled MX Blacks, though I'd likely change out the springs in them to something lighter (used to MX Red).
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #278 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 15:18:28 »
Glad to see that Cherry is at least  improving the designs. Because the blacks i had on my poker 2 sucked ass compared to gateron.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #279 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 22:48:31 »
Glad to see that Cherry is at least  improving the designs. Because the blacks i had on my poker 2 sucked ass compared to gateron.
Yeah I have nature whites on my pok3r 3 le and they are really nice to type on very quiet and smooth

Offline johngodsmith

« Reply #280 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 07:26:08 »
So have clears/greys been retooled? Specifically the ones from Winkeyless? It says 'New MX Clear Slider' in the description but I'm still sorta skeptical. I've heard people say they have retooled while others say they haven't.

Offline johngodsmith

« Reply #281 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 03:35:32 »
If anyone’s interested still, everything but the clears are retooled. I still haven’t seen a retooled clear before but apparently some guys in Vietnam ran a GB for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #282 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 04:38:40 »
If anyone’s interested still, everything but the clears are retooled. I still haven’t seen a retooled clear before but apparently some guys in Vietnam ran a GB for them.

Been waiting patiently for the retooled Clears  :(
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline johngodsmith

« Reply #283 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 05:00:45 »

Same
Would love to give em a try
Lemme know how they are when you get your hands on some! 

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #284 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 05:26:20 »

Same
Would love to give em a try
Lemme know how they are when you get your hands on some! 

Whoever gets them first hopefully will post in here.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Deephouse_jedi

« Reply #285 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 14:41:14 »
Still not as smooth as Gaterons

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #286 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 14:59:05 »
Still not as smooth as Gaterons

It's true, they aren't.  However, Cherry switches have less wobble and a (subjectively) better sound.  They both have their strengths and weaknesses

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #287 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 14:25:53 »
Well, this is disappointing.  I just got a big order of Cherry blacks from switch top to put in my TKC1800 build.  They are scratchy as hell.  I have a batch of 80 that I ordered half a year ago from switchtop that put these to shame.

Nothing I tried helped.  Tried lubing with thick lube.  Tried lubing with thin lube.  Tried opening up the switch column with a drill bit.  Tried spring swap.  Tried STEM SWAP and that didn't even help.  It must be some combination of top, stem, and spring causing the scratchiness.  I don't know that I would recommend ordering any cherry MX switches at this point to anyone.  This is annoying.

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #288 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 14:33:33 »
Well, this is disappointing.  I just got a big order of Cherry blacks from switch top to put in my TKC1800 build.  They are scratchy as hell.  I have a batch of 80 that I ordered half a year ago from switchtop that put these to shame.

Nothing I tried helped.  Tried lubing with thick lube.  Tried lubing with thin lube.  Tried opening up the switch column with a drill bit.  Tried spring swap.  Tried STEM SWAP and that didn't even help.  It must be some combination of top, stem, and spring causing the scratchiness.  I don't know that I would recommend ordering any cherry MX switches at this point to anyone.  This is annoying.

Sell them as 'vintage blacks' on mm.   :p

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #289 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 14:46:31 »
Here are the new new retooled switches that are just as scratchy as the old.  Smooth switch is on the left  The one on the right with a new logo are scratch city

198074-0

198076-1

The springs are different material.  To the left is the older smoother one that has a more brass looking spring.  New scratchy on the right has a silver (stainless steel) spring

They do have the exact same stem, as far as I can tell.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 June 2018, 14:48:55 by pixelpusher »

Offline jlee755

« Reply #290 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 15:07:44 »
Here are the new new retooled switches that are just as scratchy as the old.  Smooth switch is on the left  The one on the right with a new logo are scratch city

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

The springs are different material.  To the left is the older smoother one that has a more brass looking spring.  New scratchy on the right has a silver (stainless steel) spring

I thought retooled switches were supposed to be really smooth?

That Cherry logo is interesting; do all the retooled ones look like that?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #291 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 17:07:25 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

The one that I'm saying is smooth is a "retooled" version from switchtop that I bought about 1/2 a year ago
The scratchy one with the new logo, I just ordered this week from the same vendor.  Supposedly "retooled," but markedly scratchier. 

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #292 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 17:33:47 »

This is interesting because in my experience the stern is where the scratchiness is. Stem transplant simply made the switch smoother.

I really doubt that the spring has any influence though.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #293 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 17:38:15 »
Where's the cherry guy?
Didn't we have a cherry representative in this thread?

Offline Altis

« Reply #294 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 08:41:47 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

The one that I'm saying is smooth is a "retooled" version from switchtop that I bought about 1/2 a year ago
The scratchy one with the new logo, I just ordered this week from the same vendor.  Supposedly "retooled," but markedly scratchier.

That's disappointing to hear.

So we effectively now have precisely the same problem with retooled MX switches as with vintage ones.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #295 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 10:32:43 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

That's disappointing to hear.

So we effectively now have precisely the same problem with retooled MX switches as with vintage ones.

Not necessarily, and let's not jump to conclusions because of one batch. If we've learned anything in this hobby it's that switches are inconsistent sometimes, especially Cherry switches.

I have a plethora of retooled switches and none of them are scratchy. I wouldn't necessarily take it to heart that all "retooled" switches from Switchtop are definitely going to all be retooled, they might have received an old batch or something.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #296 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 11:40:10 »
Does anyone else have "retooled" switches that have this new logo on top?  That's one question that might help clear things up. The retooled one on the left from earlier in the year seems shinier in this photo but I think it's because they are at different angles from the light source.  To my eye the appear to be made from the same material.

Again, this batch does seem to have the new stem design.   When i take the stems of the two out, I can't see a difference in them.

On the right is what my newest order of "retooled" blacks from switchtop had for a logo.  Honestly, it looks almost like a knock-off.  Wrong font-weight (taller x-height on the font, too) and lack of detail on the cherry fruit image. 

198315-0
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 June 2018, 11:49:05 by pixelpusher »

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #297 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 14:36:23 »
Does anyone else have "retooled" switches that have this new logo on top?  That's one question that might help clear things up. The retooled one on the left from earlier in the year seems shinier in this photo but I think it's because they are at different angles from the light source.  To my eye the appear to be made from the same material.

Again, this batch does seem to have the new stem design.   When i take the stems of the two out, I can't see a difference in them.

On the right is what my newest order of "retooled" blacks from switchtop had for a logo.  Honestly, it looks almost like a knock-off.  Wrong font-weight (taller x-height on the font, too) and lack of detail on the cherry fruit image. 

(Attachment Link)

Those are the same logos that were on the silent blacks from the group buy a few months back where the springs were all wrong. Those were kinda scratchy too.

All of my retooled blacks have the smaller logo on the left, many of the older switches I have come across (Filco from 2 years ago) have the bigger logo and they aren't retooled. I've had 2 newer FC980M boards with "retooled" black in the past 6 months, and half of those switches were scratchy as well.

It's possible that Cherry is getting rid of some old stock housings.

Offline josephchoi

• JCKeyboards
« Reply #298 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 23:03:22 »
Here is some findings of mine...

1. MX clear with new fonts switch top
198474-0
Opened it , the switch stem seems to be the old one
198476-1
I found that its not so scratchy, even quite smooth (It's my first batch of MX clear switches, I don't have other for comparison)
The stem surface look quite smooth, not so grainy feel as the old blacks
I have tried to lube it using dupont silicone lubricant /w teflon, the effects is minimal (still no match for zealios though)
I think this should be the retooled clears?

2. MX red with old fonts switch top
198478-2
The switch stem is a new one with small gap at front
198480-3
So it shall be the retooled one? However, I found this switch quite scratchy :eek:

3. MX black with new fonts switch top
198482-4
The switch stem is a new one with small gap at front
198484-5
New fonts and new stem, is it smooth? Yes, very smooth, much smoother than previous reds.

Conclusion?
It seems that the fonts on switch top is determining whether the switch is retooled or not :eek:
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 June 2018, 23:11:25 by josephchoi »

Offline tomasG2

« Reply #299 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 15:28:26 »
How do I know which keyboard has the new stems?