Author Topic: Orion V2 Kustom TKL Group Buy  (Read 1221278 times)

Offline gadzkun

Re: Orion V2 Kustom TKL Group Buy
« Reply #1050 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 03:50:14 »
So when are the Orion V3's incoming?? I'll wait for those xD

after octagon V2 > lightsaver V3 > Orion V3 xD

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #1051 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 04:50:07 »
I wonder how different the Orion v3 will be. I mean it has to be different enough to justify a purchase by someone who already has a v1 or v2. If it's just for people who missed out on previous GBs why not do more rounds of the v2? Anyway I am sure Duck has some neat stuff planned.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1052 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 07:16:05 »
I wonder how different the Orion v3 will be. I mean it has to be different enough to justify a purchase by someone who already has a v1 or v2. If it's just for people who missed out on previous GBs why not do more rounds of the v2? Anyway I am sure Duck has some neat stuff planned.

If you think about it the Orion v3 GB probably won't happen until 2017. This one has currently taken 7 months and it's almost done, with two more group buys in front of that then 2016 is basically filled up.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline E3E

« Reply #1053 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 09:14:45 »

Personally, I don't even think Duck knows exactly how different it will be just yet this close off the heels of the Orion v2, but it definitely shows that he really wants to do another version already, haha.

What was the first Duck custom? The Kingsaver/Duck Mini? Then what, the Lightsaver, Lightpad, Orion, Lightsaver v2, Eagle/Viper, Octagon, Orion v2? I'm really curious about the timeline.

I think it's too early to really say what the v3 will have in store, but I think it could possibly have SMD underswitch backlighting like the GON NERD 60 v2 PCBs or 4 pin RGB in-switch backlighting for starters. The angle will probably be the same (for the aluminum options), but perhaps there will be even more intricate machining on the case, since you can clearly see that going from the v1 Lightsaver to the v2 Lightsaver and now the Orion v2, which is the first "third gen" design, I believe. The design will probably remain a two-piece design for all future generations of his boards unless Duck thinks of some crazy one-piece design.

I'm honestly surprised the 75% layout was embraced the way it has been. A lot of people didn't expect an Octagon v2 because of how unpopular the layout typically is compared to other layouts. There hasn't been much of a gap between Octagon v1 an the announcement of its successor.

« Last Edit: Sun, 15 November 2015, 09:21:31 by E3E »

Offline ViệtNV

• VNMK
« Reply #1054 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 12:03:57 »
So when are the Eagle V2's incoming??  :(

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #1055 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 18:45:38 »
The design will probably remain a two-piece design for all future generations of his boards unless Duck thinks of some crazy one-piece design.

Make one piece TKL housing. Make slid at the side which you close with an acryllic insert. Slide PCB in and screw onto the bottom part. Put switches from above into the pre-soldered SIP sockets.

:^)

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #1056 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 18:53:38 »
On another topic while we wait for the next batch to ship...

Duck's new 75% anyone....?

http://kbdlab.co.kr/index.php?document_srl=3200082&mid=board_Lsno50

Show Image

There all beautiful boards can't wait for the octagon. Are the indicator leds included?

Offline E3E

« Reply #1057 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 18:58:18 »
The design will probably remain a two-piece design for all future generations of his boards unless Duck thinks of some crazy one-piece design.

Make one piece TKL housing. Make slid at the side which you close with an acryllic insert. Slide PCB in and screw onto the bottom part. Put switches from above into the pre-soldered SIP sockets.

:^)

Pretty cool idea. That is definitely one way to do it. :D

Offline E3E

« Reply #1058 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 18:59:12 »
On another topic while we wait for the next batch to ship...

Duck's new 75% anyone....?

http://kbdlab.co.kr/index.php?document_srl=3200082&mid=board_Lsno50

Show Image

There all beautiful boards can't wait for the octagon. Are the indicator leds included?

Like the Orion, you'll have to add those yourself, I would imagine, but there will definitely be the pin holes for the indicators to flash through, which is awesome. :D

Offline elton5354

« Reply #1059 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 19:16:25 »
I heard the new 75% will offer the same options as Orion V2.  :eek:

Offline E3E

« Reply #1060 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 19:23:02 »
I heard the new 75% will offer the same options as Orion V2.  :eek:

Awesome. That's what I figured. :D I'm definitely going to go for red again. It's just my favorite color for the 75% form. I don't think I'd like the others as much if I got another color.   

Though IF Alps becomes available, then I might look at a lighter color to go with Alpine Winter.

Time will tell :D

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #1061 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 19:48:17 »
So many options don't know which I like more  :p. Which leds should I buy for the indicators?

Offline E3E

« Reply #1062 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 20:33:18 »
So many options don't know which I like more  :p. Which leds should I buy for the indicators?

For the Orion v2 I put together for the ever-so-awesome rainb1ood, I used 2x4x5mm LEDs, as those were the most colorful I had on hand. Can confirm that autoswitching 2 pin  RGB LED work on the indicator lights, and they look awesome as an indicator. You can pick up different (RGB) varieties on eBay. I used Aliexpress for the 2x4x5mm LEDs.

But yeah, any kind will work! People tend to favor 1.8mm LEDs since they will not conflict with the downstroke of keys with thick Cherry profile caps like 2x4x5mm LEDs can. I'd recommend them honestly. I'm lucky I use SA on my Octagon, because the LEDs did create problems when I used them with my Gateron PBT set.

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #1063 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 21:05:34 »

For the Orion v2 I put together for the ever-so-awesome rainb1ood, I used 2x4x5mm LEDs, as those were the most colorful I had on hand. Can confirm that autoswitching 2 pin  RGB LED work on the indicator lights, and they look awesome as an indicator. You can pick up different (RGB) varieties on eBay. I used Aliexpress for the 2x4x5mm LEDs.

But yeah, any kind will work! People tend to favor 1.8mm LEDs since they will not conflict with the downstroke of keys with thick Cherry profile caps like 2x4x5mm LEDs can. I'd recommend them honestly. I'm lucky I use SA on my Octagon, because the LEDs did create problems when I used them with my Gateron PBT set.

sounds good thanks

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #1064 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 06:54:11 »
Thank you E3E for hooking me up with those sweet 2x4x5 LEDs!

Can't wait to receive the masterfully crafted board from you

Offline ryptide11

« Reply #1065 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 09:38:46 »
Any idea when the second batch will ship?

Offline elton5354

« Reply #1066 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 09:56:57 »

I was told a month after the 1st batch was shipped

Offline Want

« Reply #1067 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 02:36:53 »

Are the angled acrylic bottoms coming with this shipment, or is that a separate shipment? Gotta say, someone really dropped the ball on those angled acrylic.

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #1068 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 09:52:07 »

Just one for now.

Offline R1N3

« Reply #1069 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 10:13:32 »
Glorious..

What bottom though??

Offline filphil

« Reply #1070 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 10:26:52 »

Offline slushi

« Reply #1071 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 11:00:23 »

HHKB Pro 2

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1072 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 11:09:14 »
Show Image

Just one for now.

are those dyesubs or ds?

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1073 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 13:38:07 »
Filphil's pictures never fail, the blue grey is quite stunning. Makes me want to get a good camera too. :thumb:

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #1074 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 15:34:43 »
anyone have pictures of the angled acrylic bottom?

Offline E3E

« Reply #1075 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 15:54:13 »

Here's some pictures from my build log for rainb1ood.

The acrylic bottom is super cool and very hefty, imo. Solid. :)

Sorry, I know my camera sucks. :P

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #1076 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 16:46:54 »

Here's some pictures from my build log for rainb1ood.

The acrylic bottom is super cool and very hefty, imo. Solid. :)

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Sorry, I know my camera sucks. :P

Looks good, I definitely know what I'm getting on the Octagon now can't wait.
How do the zealios feel on an acrylic plate?

Offline slushi

« Reply #1077 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 16:52:15 »
Wow E2E, very nice. I may need to contact you for my own build since I don't really want to chance this board's PCB with my first soldering experience. Mine looks to be the exact same build as rainb1ood's.

HHKB Pro 2

Offline E3E

« Reply #1078 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 17:00:46 »
Wow E2E, very nice. I may need to contact you for my own build since I don't really want to chance this board's PCB with my first soldering experience. Mine looks to be the exact same build as rainb1ood's.

Haha, I'd be happy too! I usually just ya know, do my own builds, but it's really nice having the opportunity to put together builds of really cool boards for others like this.

Just send me a PM with whatever you'd like done and I'd be happy to work with you! :D

Looks good, I definitely know what I'm getting on the Octagon now can't wait.
How do the zealios feel on an acrylic plate?

Can't tell you how they feel; you'll have to ask rainb1ood for that one. I never put caps on the board, haha. Though I hear that plastic plates and direct mounting to PCBs are popular for tactile switches. I have a Rapoo KX that I use some ergo clears with (it was my first board, lol), and I have to admit, it's a very smooth and soft feel while keeping the tactility. No flex in my case, but I can't speak for the Orion. A shorter board like the Octagon should have even less flex if any.

Yeah, I'm really hyped about the new Octagon. Though I probably will just go with the aluminum bottom. Either that or buy one of each and then sell off what I don't care for (if anyone would even be in the market for that, haha). I hope Alps will be possible for it, but I'll still buy it even if not.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 November 2015, 17:05:07 by E3E »

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #1079 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 17:04:02 »
I highly recommend E3E for keyboard soldering services if you're looking for one

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1080 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 18:26:35 »
Glorious..

What bottom though??

:D

Show Image

i got the same combo im so happy i creamed

Offline Phillipj06

« Reply #1081 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 19:23:55 »
Sad I missed out on this GB.  Any idea when/if the next round will be.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #1082 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 19:29:02 »

Read the last like two thread pages.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1083 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 19:30:04 »

Probably this time or a bit later next year or early 2017

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #1084 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 19:51:17 »
Does anyone have a better translation for this site http://duck0113.tistory.com/124

I'm using chrome's translator and I get the basics of some function but I'd like to learn more about the 02D mapper and some of the translation does not make sense.

Offline filphil

« Reply #1085 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 19:58:40 »
Since you have the basics down do you have an idea as to what you're looking to do? 

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #1086 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 20:07:35 »
I'd like to know what Control Mode, Key lock,  Push lock, Change lock, LED bypass, etc. does

I've been reading this translated text over and over too and trying to understand:

Code: [Select]
Maximum brightness automatic control of the switch LED and RGB LED
 In the 500mA of USB 2.0 switch with LED status lights, effects, conditions, and automatically controlling the brightness of the colors of the RGB
 If the switch LED except for the bypass mode and multi-LED disabled
  It can affect the brightness of RGB when the bypass mode. (Full LED OFF switch at the maximum, full ON, minimum brightness)
  Bypass mode only affects switch LED mode.
The maximum power setting
 LED as the ability to set the maximum current value available in the (RGB included),
  All responsibility for the operation and fault when setting its functions are attributed to your own.
 For a USB output current of the devices used (PC, etc.), if you only set generous.
 Example) lights up the entire bypass switch LED (LED multi-use) to secure an RGB LED brightness in the state.
 > Setting
   After entering control mode,
   SCM Enter, enter,
   Pressing a number from 500 to 900 slowly (base 500)
   Control mode, press (Save)
   Control mode is exited with ESC
  Using the event of default after reset operational errors or dead 500
   Keyboard LED LED Down key and then press the Stop recognized
   After changing power settings

Offline elton5354

« Reply #1087 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 21:34:54 »

Are the angled acrylic bottoms coming with this shipment, or is that a separate shipment? Gotta say, someone really dropped the ball on those angled acrylic.

Yeah, everything is going to shipped together. Makes no sense in shipping separately as that will add cost and time (packaging and shipping twice). You won't find a better acrylic bottom than this hence the tough QC on them and thus took much longer to produce. I'd imagine they wasted more money and time trying to produce them.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #1088 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 11:07:52 »

Yeah, everything is going to shipped together. Makes no sense in shipping separately as that will add cost and time (packaging and shipping twice). You won't find a better acrylic bottom than this hence the tough QC on them and thus took much longer to produce. I'd imagine they wasted more money and time trying to produce them.

Thanks for the update, Elton! You're the best GB leader.  :thumb: :)) :-*

Offline filphil

« Reply #1089 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 16:13:11 »
I'd like to know what Control Mode, Key lock,  Push lock, Change lock, LED bypass, etc. does

I've been reading this translated text over and over too and trying to understand:

In the 500mA of USB 2.0 switch with LED status lights, effects, conditions, and automatically controlling the brightness of the colors of the RGB
  It can affect the brightness of RGB when the bypass mode. (Full LED OFF switch at the maximum, full ON, minimum brightness)
 LED as the ability to set the maximum current value available in the (RGB included),
  All responsibility for the operation and fault when setting its functions are attributed to your own.
 For a USB output current of the devices used (PC, etc.), if you only set generous.
 Example) lights up the entire bypass switch LED (LED multi-use) to secure an RGB LED brightness in the state.
 > Setting
   SCM Enter, enter,

Wish I could help you out.  That translation pains me too. =(

http://kbdlab.co.kr/index.php?mid=board_Lsno50&document_srl=3208312

WHAT IS THIS

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1090 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 16:15:03 »
Duck feet.

Waddle, waddle.

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #1091 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 16:17:23 »

> Setting
   SCM Enter, enter,

Wish I could help you out.  That translation pains me too. =(

http://kbdlab.co.kr/index.php?mid=board_Lsno50&document_srl=3208312

WHAT IS THIS

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Unicorn X3. Great full metal keyboard look but less clumsy. I like it.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1092 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 16:25:13 »
Is anybody working on the brass plate? I'm still interested.

Offline slushi

« Reply #1093 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 16:25:29 »
goddamn, that bottom case design looks cool!

HHKB Pro 2

Offline filphil

« Reply #1094 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 09:57:47 »
Anyone happen to have an extra aluminum plate laying around?

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #1095 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 12:23:21 »
do we have an eta on the Octagon and the estimated turn around time for it?

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1096 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 12:31:26 »
Teaser Pic :thumb:

Orion v2 w/ OTD Red Alert 2 by Steve N, on Flickr

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #1097 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 14:26:25 »

Show Image

Nice board. I was looking through your pictures, did you put those sip sockets in for the indicator leds or did they come installed with the pcb?

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1098 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 14:37:19 »

Show Image

Nice board. I was looking through your pictures, did you put those sip sockets in for the indicator leds or did they come installed with the pcb?

Thanks I put them in myself, it was a little tricky trying to hold them in place to solder so I put a piece of tape on the other side to hold it so I could flip it over and solder them on.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1099 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 14:43:40 »
do we have an eta on the Octagon and the estimated turn around time for it?

I'm hoping it's not too soon. My wallet is going to commit sudoku at this rate. I'd be happy if it's at the end of January or start of February.