Author Topic: Hi from New Zealand!  (Read 1242 times)

Offline redd_ddog

Hi from New Zealand!
« on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 03:24:59 »
I have been a long time lurker/mech keyboard desirer and have finally received my first mech - a fullsize backlit Ducky Shine 4 w Cherry MX Browns. I had been snooping on all the forums and related subreddits and keycap sites but was always too busy to justify putting so much money into a keyboard even though I wanted to. By a stroke of luck (hah!) I had a nasty fall breaking one (very nearly both) of my ankles, so now I am bedridden and am practically drooling with how much time I have to spend slamming away at some keys!
now I'm keeping my eyes peeled to decide on my next acquisitions, a TKL, 60% and perhaps even getting a planck. I just know you lot are going to be super helpful! And if anyone else from NZ reads this and has some tips on good sources close by I'm open to it. Not many people where I am are interested in this niche bubble of goodness at all.

Offline wholphin

Re: Hi from New Zealand!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 05:39:50 »
Hey! Sorry to hear about those ankles - hope your recovery is swift and doesn't require extensive physio.

Can definitely confirm that we mechanical keyboard fans are out there in this little part of the world, although I've found it nearly impossible to find anything decent in NZ! My first two mechs were Ducky Shine 3s (TKL and full sized) from Playtech. Aside from that, I've got a couple of keyboards off Massdrop, a couple of Model Ms off Trademe, and my HHKB off Amazon. In terms of other sources, I've heard mechkb.com ship to NZ, but have never tried them
Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | Ducky Shine 3 Tuhaojin (Browns) | Poker II (Blues) | Model M, bolt modded x2 (03 Jan '90, 18 Jan '90) | Leopold FC660M (Ergo Clears) w/ aluminium case | HHKB Pro 2 | Model M SSK (04 Dec '91) w/ PhosphorGlow's replacement controller | Leopold FC660C | Realforce 104U | Realforce 23UB

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 05:40:14 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Ouch!  I hope you have a speedy recovery :)

There's a few NZ members on here now, maybe time for a meetup?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 06:20:42 »
hey cuz!
I'm from chch, but now located in the UK.
welcome to GH!