Author Topic: More monitor questions - which would you buy?  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
More monitor questions - which would you buy?
« on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 15:57:31 »
I am looking at upgrading my current 27" 1080p TN monitor to a 27-30" IPS unit and am wondering which monitors you guys would go with. 

I am trying to keep my budget around $250 to $300 (this gets me at the lower end of the used panels and right at the korean models). 

I am currently looking at the U2711/U2713 from Dell.  They are about $300 on ebay.

Another option is the Asus PB278Q.  I found one on CL for $300 that is nearly new and has no dead/stuck pixels.

Also on CL is an X-STAR DP2710 for $200.  The buyer didn't realize that it is only D-DVI and can't use it.  Not worth shipping back.  It is still in the box and the guy is not very tech savy, so he doesn't even want to plug it in and check for pixels/backlight bleed (known issues with these monitors).  I am hesitant to drive 2 hrs to find out that it looks like ****. 

Any other options you guys would recommend?  Main uses will be browsers/gaming (Borderlands/Diablo/LoL/Steam games). 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: More monitor questions - which would you buy?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 16:55:49 »
I've been very happy with my Monoprice Zero-G.  If you wait for one of their sales, you can get it for closer to $300.  IPS abd 1440p is definitely worth it.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
Re: More monitor questions - which would you buy?
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 21 March 2015, 17:15:30 »
I've been very happy with my Monoprice Zero-G.  If you wait for one of their sales, you can get it for closer to $300.  IPS abd 1440p is definitely worth it.

I was looking at that one as well. 

In the time since I posted this, the guy on CL with the Asus came back with a $250 price and I am going with that.  I like that I know the monitor is free of defects and is nearly new (guy purchased a pair of them for gaming and switched one of them for a 144hz panel for BF4). 

Picking it up tonight.  It uses a PLS screen that looks pretty nice from the reviews and I am really looking forward to the change.  Goodbye TN, you are now relegated to forum duty  :thumb:
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2