Author Topic: Help with enthusiast compact camera  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
Help with enthusiast compact camera
« on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 03:48:19 »
I'm a happy Sony RX100 (first version) owner. It has solid image quality, decent manual configuration and fits in your pocket. I'm not a photographer and I don't need huge cameras but I hate phone and point-and-shoot picture quality (especially indoor).

Since I often do quick shooting sessions and I need to review/edit the picture right away I wanted to grab a wifi camera to replace the RX100. Do you have any suggestion?

The following are the must haves:

- 1" sensor or better
- small/compact
- wifi (I don't need NFC)
- decent battery life

Nice to have but not needed:

- GPS
- 1080p 24/30/60fps videos
- time lapse
- slow motion

What I've found so far:

- Sony RX100 III, this is the logical upgrade, but honestly $800 is hard to swallow
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
- Canon PowerShot G7 X
- Nikon 1 J4
- Samsung NX mini

Thanks!

Offline intelli78

Re: Help with enthusiast compact camera
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 04:08:03 »
Couple comments...

The Sony and Canon are the only point-and-shoots in your list; the rest are interchangeable lens cameras, in 3 different families. If you want to get an ILC, I'd personally go with the Lumix due to M4/3 lens selection, but I'm biased, I have a lot of M4/3 equipment. But it sounds like you aren't looking for that (?)

You might look into the Panasonic LX100 which has neat retro style controls and does 4K video, not a whole lot cheaper than RX100 mk III though, and a bit hefty.

DPReview has some really good buying guides / roundups, you may want to check their site.

Edit: Also have you looked into EyeFi / other Wifi SD cards?
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 March 2015, 04:26:02 by intelli78 »
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 04:27:42 »
The Sony and Canon are the only point-and-shoots in your list; the rest are interchangeable lens cameras, in 3 different families. If you want to get an ILC, I'd personally go with the Lumix due to M4/3 lens selection, but I'm biased, I have a lot of M4/3 equipment. But it sounds like you aren't looking for that (?)

Thanks for your help!

I really don't care what kind of technology or family the camera is. The bottom line is: must be small. must take reasonably-for-the-size good pictures :)

The Panasonic LX100 seems a good camera but a pinch bigger than I wished...

Offline tbc

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 19:18:55 »
absolutely nothing can compete with the rx100 series.

the rx100 mark 2 might be the better option for you since it's cheaper than the m3

the m2 is an upgrade to the m1, but the m3 is more of a sidegrade - more of a specialization towards street photography.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 19:26:36 »
Another vote for the Panasonic LX100. The lens on that seems incredible.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 20:56:44 »

Thanks for your help!

I really don't care what kind of technology or family the camera is. The bottom line is: must be small. must take reasonably-for-the-size good pictures :)

The Panasonic LX100 seems a good camera but a pinch bigger than I wished...
LX100 is just a bit more expensive than GM1. If you don't want to change lens, LX100 is a pretty good option. LX100 has a great lens and good control. But it's also bigger than GM1. It's a trade off.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 22:03:40 »
Another vote for one of the Panasonics, whether you want to change lenses or not.

Stay away from that Nikon. IMHO the iQ is not in the same league as the others listed.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 03:18:30 »
I start thinking there's no real alternative to the Sony rx100... I might actually end up keeping it and get a bigger one with wifi for when I need quick photo transfer.

New models of these kind of cameras seem to come out close to summer, I might wait a month or two to see if something new comes out.