Author Topic: What to Replace Crunchbang With  (Read 3060 times)

Offline mdmcaf

• If this isn't nice, what is?
What to Replace Crunchbang With
« on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:27:59 »
So I've noticed a lot of us use Crunchbang Linux on our machines (from lurking the Post Your Desks/Setups threads). I too have loved Crunchbang and continue to use it. But I know that since it's not being developed anymore I really ought to switch to something else.

I'm thinking either a Debian build with the i3 Window Manager or Arch Linux with the same.

How about you? Have you switched from Crunchbang yet? If so, what did you switch to?

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
Re: What to Replace Crunchbang With
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 12:55:47 »
I'm still running #! on my laptop. Need to point it at some different repos at some point in case of security updates, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'm also playing with a Jessie Netinst that I built up from nothing using openbox. It's not quite the same as #!, but it's not trying to be either.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline mdmcaf

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 15:50:41 »
I just feel a little robbed that I just got into Crunchbang 6 months ago and they decide to stop developing it.

Openbox is a pretty decent WM, especially if you're more keyboard centric - I'd always wanted to use it but couldn't find good enough instructions for how to configure it. Then I discover #! and it's everything I've ever wanted from a Linux distro and shortly after that they stop developing it.

Robbery I tell you!

Offline osi

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 19:07:15 »
Slackware

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 20:29:12 »
I've tried #! along with quite a few others over the years, although I eventually settled on CentOS (with a little Mint where packages are not supported on CentOS).

If I was replacing #!, I would consider Arch.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mdmcaf

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 13:04:55 »
Yeah, the more I research Arch the better it seems - especially if I'm trying to keep a minimal install for my ThinkPad. It's not that I run low on system resources, it's just that I like to have as streamlined an install as possible.

I think I tried to install Arch a number of years ago on my Raspberry Pi, but wasn't able to get X to work. I didn't try too hard to get it working as it was just something fun to try to do and life stuff probably happened.

As for Slackware? I liked Slackware when I first started getting into Linux, but it seemed a little long in the tooth last time I tried to use it (maybe about 3 or 4 years ago). It could make for a fun dual boot project though  :thumb:

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
    • RoastPotatoes Keyboard Blog
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 13:19:29 »
I recommend arch