Author Topic: [IC] Oxalis60 - A 60% integrated-plate mount keyboard - UPDATED price + colors  (Read 4964 times)

Offline Son0fAres

• Iris Keyboards
Oxalis60

Update : Made changes to the design of the case, made sure it could be built with the added flex cuts. Made some new renders. I have also used the colors from GMK Olivia for the keycaps. If Olivia asks, I will remove them.

Update 2 : Received word from manufacturer. I can have any pantone colors with no added cost. Also I have updated the price of the board for the GB.

Update 3 : Have made renders of the most popular colors based on IC. Hope you like them!

Introduction
Hello! Update about my last post. I have made some changes to the design, more noticeably some flex cuts for the integrated plate and a logo on the weight. There are also a few minor changes related to some dimensions but they are not noticeable.

I am doing a 60% because I think it’s a simple design with a nice layouts. Yes there are a lot of these already but I felt like doing something that could stay a bit more affordable in the “quality” range. I went with a sharper design as I quite like the simple aesthetic.

The name comes from a plant more commonly known as Mountain woodsorrel. I like the flower quite a bit, so I named the keyboard after the flower’s genus. 60 comes from the fact that this is a 60% layout: How original of me.

Google Forms (for your feedback)
English Form : https://forms.gle/QX3aZdDkJ7WfVJrn9
French Form : https://forms.gle/4z4NwB4Ta6coCfLq8

Status
Date: May 4th 2021

What has been done:
•   Plate and Weight design done, waiting on your feedback
•   3D printed a prototype to make sure everything aligns nicely. It does!
•   PCB went through a production review. It is now finished and needs to be sent for QC check from manufacturer.
•   Sent quotes to many manufacturers to see pricing.

What’s next? Get an aluminum prototype made and order another PCB sample. Also waiting on more color options from feedback
What am I doing now? Looking at packaging options and some materials to be bought.

Renders

More

Sound Test of 3D printed Prototype (on reddit)
https://v.redd.it/kdqls79nxrs61/

I lost the video on my PC which is why I'm posting this link. Sorry.
Obviously the sound will be different for the aluminum prototype, but am hopeful it will sound nice thanks to the flex cuts and dampening foam.

Details
•   Name: Oxalis60
•   ETA of GB: 4 - 6 weeks
•   Price: 230
•   Colors: As per IC
•   Typing Angle: 7 Degrees
•   Mounting Type: flex-cut integrated 1.5mm plate
•   Materials: Aluminum
•   PCB: Custom 60% PCB from me with ESD protection, fuse, and LED to verify USB connection.
•   Layouts:
More

What’s Included?
•   Top Case/Plate: Aluminium
•   Bottom Case/Weight:  Aluminium
•   Other: PCB, Rubber Feet, screws, dampening foam, more as per IC

To-Do-List
More
1.   Get your feedback
2.   Get a PCB sample for QC
3.   Design a suitable box
4.   Get a metal prototype
5.   Start GB

FAQ
More
Why should I trust you? I love the custom keyboard community and am dedicating a lot of time to make this work. I have not been a very vocal user but have been part of the community since at least 2015. Got my first mech (Anne Pro 2) in 2019 after reading all I could about cheap “kinda good” keyboards. During quarantine I was bored and looking at some more custom scene keyboards and my jaw dropped when I saw the prices where I live (Canada) for some entry-level keyboards. So I decided to create a PCB and 3D print a case (I’m using the board now!) and I’m pretty happy, but I want to bring this board to the entire community.
QMK and VIA? Yes! I have tested my prototype PCBs and they work with VIA and QMK.
Will this have RGB? No
Hotswap? No, because there are different layouts
ISO? Yes!

DISCLAIMER
Keep in mind this is an interest check. Nothing, including options, pricing, etc., is final until the GB starts.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 May 2021, 15:32:35 by Son0fAres »

Offline homerowco

• Homerow.Co
Re: [IC] Oxalis60 - A 60% integrated-plate mount keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 10:26:27 »
needs some more pics from the inside - not sure if I just overlooked them

Offline Son0fAres

• Iris Keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 10:59:00 »
I've added the following image

Is this better or would another angle suit it better?

Offline homerowco

• Homerow.Co
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 14:04:35 »
back is important to a lot of people to - also where the screws are going to be and the bumpons

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 17:02:38 »
Just curious, what made you choose integrated plate?
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline Son0fAres

• Iris Keyboards
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 18:43:58 »
back is important to a lot of people to - also where the screws are going to be and the bumpons

I'll make the changes on the render to better reflect how it's mounted, and following feedback I will make some changes to the way the plate is integrated to the case. I will also make the back more interesting.

Just curious, what made you choose integrated plate?

Firstly I wanted to make a keyboard with the least amount of different pieces. Secondly, the main motivation for me was the fact that I didn't want to bring another tray mount 60% keyboard. Sandwich was out of question because sure it makes the board cheaper but it's not as refined. So I'm left with integrated plate mount. I notice now that there were many more integrated plate mount keyboards out there so I'm looking into making this unique.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 19:58:30 »
Your board, your decision.

However:

You forgot about top mount, which is the default in high end customs for good reason (although every IC seems to be some gasket variation nowadays).

Sandwich mount doesn't at all mean that the board is unrefined. Look at the QXP, Salamander, and entire TX line.

Also there's bottom mount, which has gained a bit of popularity (Prime Elise, Prophet, Hex 3C) and has a bassier, more resonant sound than sandwich mount.

And finally there are the various implementations of gasket out there: rubber pads with mounting tabs, big o-ring under the plate, et alia. You can even do tray mount with the big o-ring like in the Unikorn, which is probably the cheapest option; it actually feels and sounds premium, unlike standard tray.

Lots of people straight up don't like integrated plate because it's stiff as a board and tends to sound bad. But if you personally like it and you think enough other people will like it to make it worth your while running the GB, then have fun. Diversity isn't bad!
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Nerdbot5000

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 12:27:06 »
Though I am ultimately not interested as my preference is for a lower angle (5 or below), I just wanted to add that OP is not alone in the preference for an integrated plate.

I don't mind the firmness and enjoy that it makes the design more simple (one less separate part).

Offline Son0fAres

• Iris Keyboards
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 13:52:21 »
Update : Made changes to the design of the case, made sure it could be built with the added flex cuts. Made some new renders. I have also used the colors from GMK Olivia for the keycaps. If Olivia asks, I will remove them.

I really hope to make this as interesting as possible for all of you! Can't wait for your feedback! Thank you everyone ;D

Offline Son0fAres

• Iris Keyboards
Update 2: Have updated pricing, am also looking into making accurate renders based on some feedback about color options.

Offline Son0fAres

• Iris Keyboards
Re: [IC] Oxalis60 - A 60% integrated-plate mount keyboard - UPDATED price
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 15:24:47 »
Update 3: Have updated color options to better reflect what IC Form answers