Author Topic: Audio/Recording Gear  (Read 2665 times)

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
Audio/Recording Gear
« on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 23:25:43 »
There are a few threads out there about musical instruments but this one is for anyone in the recording, producing or broadcasting fields that want to talk gear. Pre-amps, consoles, mics, monitors, software, etc. Feel free to post pictures or videos of your favorite gear or links to your favorite sources.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
Re: Audio/Recording Gear
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 23:32:05 »
I'm a ProTools and Logic user on the software side of things. I also use Propellerheads Reason from time to time rewired through logic. Anyone else recording or creating beats on these digital audio workstations?

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 23:44:07 »
Like I said in the other thread, I'd love to hear your stuff. Any links?

Not sure if you're into hip hop but check this out:

http://www.datpiff.com/Jay-Walker-Quotable-mixtape.407281.html

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
Audio/Recording Gear
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 23:50:58 »
I have some older stuff up here.

www.soundcloud.com/mikecumming

I write acoustic/rock music. A lot of these recordings need work and are mostly just bed tracks that need to be replaced. But everything you hear is written, performed and recorded by me. Minus some of the programed drum tracks which I just used a midi controller for.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
Audio/Recording Gear
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 00:00:18 »
Some of my mics currently.

Studio Projects B1 (large diaphragm condenser)

The current model of this mic now has a -db pad http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B1Mic/

Shure SM81 (unidirectional small diaphragm condenser)

http://www.long-mcquade.com/?page=products&ProductsID=6460

Shure SM57 (instrument/vocal, dynamic)

This mic is found almost everywhere, it's incredibly popular and tough as nails http://www.long-mcquade.com/1092/Pro_Audio_Recording/Microphones/Shure/SM57_Unidirectional_Dynamic_Mic.htm
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 June 2014, 00:07:51 by YoungMichael88 »

Offline roaduck

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 18:12:13 »
I use  a lapdog with a mike plugged in and some tiny but good speakers in the garden.

The sax stand is called Bob...he`s a scrap metal sculpture haha!

The homebrew is for when I get thirsty obviously.

67777-0

BS : IBM 1391406
Other keyboards - don\'t ask

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 19:38:13 »
I might actually purchase the Rode Procaster just to have a solid Dynamic mic. The Blue Spark definitely gives a richer, deeper sound than the Rode but I like the noise cancelling I can get with a Dynamic and it definitely sounds more natural and clean.

I feel like it would be a solid little setup between the two.

Thoughts?

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 20:14:49 »
The condensers I've used pick up absolutely everything. Clocks ticking, bubbles in my fish tank from another room. So for these mics, a nice controlled room free of sound is pretty necessary but most of these sounds are pretty much hidden a mix when your dealing with multi tracked music recordings. If you are dealing with just voice, I would urge you in the direction of a dynamic mic with good shielding from electromagnetic hum. I have no experience with the blue or the other mics mentioned so I'm unaware of their features, dynamic range etc.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 20:23:59 »

I might actually purchase the Rode Procaster just to have a solid Dynamic mic. The Blue Spark definitely gives a richer, deeper sound than the Rode but I like the noise cancelling I can get with a Dynamic and it definitely sounds more natural and clean.

I feel like it would be a solid little setup between the two.

Thoughts?
That Rode Procaster seems like a pretty solid mic from what I've read so far especially for its price. If I were you and was serious about broadcasting, voiceover commentary etc, I would also seriously consider a nice compressor in the future. I'm sure your software has some digital plug ins for that which work fine, but I love outboard analog gear especially when it comes to compression. This can get pricey and it might be considered overkill to some but some nice compression can do wonders on bringing your voice to another level.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 21:49:57 »
I have recorded my band in my basement on some basic gear, but don't have photos of it right now.  I've still got the mixing board, but it's nothing special.

Now I love to pick up gigs running sound for live shows (nothing big or serious, but fun nonetheless).  Here's the board I used most recently.  As you can see, we had a pretty diverse group of instrumentalists (strings for this performance, sometimes acoustic rock, sometimes electric).

Cedar Cultural Center Board by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

I came very close to studying audio engineering or something of the sort in school, but opted out because I wasn't sure how that plays out as a career.  So now I just do it as a hobby, and it's a blast.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
Audio/Recording Gear
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 23:29:42 »
I have recorded my band in my basement on some basic gear, but don't have photos of it right now.  I've still got the mixing board, but it's nothing special.

Now I love to pick up gigs running sound for live shows (nothing big or serious, but fun nonetheless).  Here's the board I used most recently.  As you can see, we had a pretty diverse group of instrumentalists (strings for this performance, sometimes acoustic rock, sometimes electric).

Show Image

Cedar Cultural Center Board by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

I came very close to studying audio engineering or something of the sort in school, but opted out because I wasn't sure how that plays out as a career.  So now I just do it as a hobby, and it's a blast.
Nice. I went the audio production and sound engineering route with my education. I may have talked to you about that already Hoff. It can be a good career as long as you meet some or all of the following criteria.

A) you are the best or at least top two or three in your entire class.
B) you spend as much time networking as you do studying
C) you have the financial backing to live in a larger city and work as an unpaid intern (with no time for other jobs)
D) you have the drive and dedication to devote absolutely ALL of your time and energy to this work

ALSO, it's worth noting there are many more jobs in live sound production than in the studios so that is definitely the smarter route to take.

But, if you really love creating music and it is a major passion of yours, then it's up to you to place whatever value you want on the knowledge you will gain and the amazing people you meet by studying in a professional atmosphere like I did. It was priceless to me and was both the best and worst part of my life.

This is where I went.
http://m.metalworksinstitute.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmetalworksinstitute.com%2F&dm_redirected=true#2763

We were lucky enough to do a few of our final projects in this control room

And had many lectures in this live room and others like it

But the bulk of our lessons were in small auditoriums and smaller control rooms on SSL consoles with about 52 strips.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 June 2014, 23:32:05 by YoungMichael88 »

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 00:33:38 »
I run the meebcast through a Rode NT1-A. I periodically record other sounds, too. I do get a decent bit of noise, though, but I have a fairly well-tuned dbx 166XL compressor/gate box to minimize the effects. I also record percussion instruments with a pair of Karma K-Micro bullet mics. I'll hopefully have recordings of my fancy new instrument in the near future.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline vasouv

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 03:07:27 »
I just record music for fun so I don't have any exceptional setup. M-Audio M-Track is my usb interface (can be goddamn awful some times), M-Audio AV-40s for monitors, AKG K240 MKII for headphones and REAPER for my DAW.

Told you, really basic stuff :P