Author Topic: [IC] Durock Silent Linear Switches - IC CLOSED - GB OPEN  (Read 27304 times)

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
[IC] Durock Silent Linear Switches - IC CLOSED - GB OPEN
« on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 16:10:53 »
GB HAS STARTED

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104781.0

The post is on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/f7ivwl/gb_ghost_switch_silent_linear_switch/

Or just buy here: https://preorders.opticboards.com/product/ghost-switch-silent-linear

Thank you all!

---
Hello,

IC FORM HERE https://forms.gle/1R2k5SBGf1m55ncs9

IC FORM PART 2 https://forms.gle/Hhcf7LmiATtUvvsw8

Durock have come out with a new product! A silent linear switch!

>It is with our own patent, with different silents methods from Cherry, Gateron, etc.

From the Durock sales rep these are a new design of silent switches. I have managed to secure enough samples to fit out a 60% board. These will arrive to me at the same time as the delivery of my recent Koala switch GB. Likely last week of the year/first week of 2020. When I have the samples I will use my hotswap GK64 to do a typing test where I can compare them to Gateron Blacks and Cherry MX Silent Blacks. These will be made available as soon as I have them.

##Pricing

These are more expensive than Durocks other switches. The Group Buy cost will be $0.70 USD per switch.

##Colours

As a new product from Durock these do not have a defined colour system. In the IC form there is a section to vote for your favourite colour combination for these new silent switches. 

My favourite idea right now is Translucent Red housing with a Solid Red Stem.

Let me know your thoughts on these!

As always, keep clacking!

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

George 
Optic Boards http://opticboards.co.uk/ 

Small Update

More
So these are the same switch as PrimeKb's upcoming Silent alpaca switches. They are 62g variants with a different colouring. PrimeKB's listing shows a price of $0.65 USD per switch. Which are quite tight margins based on a 20,000 pcs MOQ. I should be able to lower the expected price to $0.60 USD for the GB, although it would make everything a lot tighter than I prefer. Give's me less leeway to bulk up order numbers to reach MOQ more easily.

Also pointed out is my favourite colour idea up above is just Gateron Red Ink switches ...  :( Still we will find a colour series to stick with  :)

UPDATE: 06-01-20 - Samples arrived

More
I have received the sample batch from Durock. I will be recording a typing test hopefully tomorrow.

For now, here's a picture of the samples...

I'm pretty sure they used the Silent Alpaca stems in their standard clear housings ... It is a pretty sweet colour combo...  ;D

Click More for stem images ...
More

Opened Switch
Stem Closeup
Stem Closeup 2.0

UPDATE - Typing Test - 09-01-2020
More
Specs:

Board: GK64 - Aluminum body and plate
Keycaps: GMK Nautilus

Silent Linear switches being tested are with 67g springs, straight from the factory without lube.

For all the typing test the microphone was placed behind the keyboard with the centre of the mic being 10cm (4inches) from the number 6 key.

Typing test is on Sound Cloud https://soundcloud.com/user-981972463-667161549/sets/durock-silent-linear-typing-test

Track 1: Typing on silent linears
This was a short paragraph of text yped out

Track 2: ASDFGHJKL
This was the keyboard row ASDFGHJKL  pressed in sequence where keys AGL were Cherry Silent Black switches and the rest were silent linear durock switches. Can you tell the difference?

Track 3: Silent Black A,G,L x 5
This was the three switches AGL as cherry silent blacks, pressed 5 times each, to see for pitch variance based on location on the kyboard

Track 4: Silent Linear A,G,L x5
As track 3 but with Durock Silent Linears.

I am not going to comment to much on the typing experience just yet. My daily driver switches are Kailh Gold or Kailh Bronze. I like clicky switches. However I am going use the silent linear switches in my GK64 for at least a week to get a better feel for them and then I may feel like I am in a position to adequately review them.

However I will say that the feel of pressing the two types of switch MX silent Black vs Durock Silents. The MX switches do have a scratchy feel to them that is more noticeable than the durock switches. This isn't to say that the durock switches don't scratch. They do, it is not as noticeable but it is there. To put a metric to it I would say that the MX Silent Black's are 3-4x more scratchy.

UPDATE - IC PART 2 - 26-01-2020

More

I have created a part 2 of this interest check. To further refine the colour choice. Please could you all fill this in even if you had already filled in the original IC.

THIS INTEREST CHECK IS OPEN FOR TWO WEEKS - CLOSES 9th FEBRUARY 2020

Update: IC is now closed 09-02-2020
More
We had a total of 184 votes and 20,810 switches pledged. With this part of the IC only being up for 2 weeks this is an amazing outcome.

Results of the colour choice…

Option 1:   BLUE // PINK       49 Votes   26.6%
Option 2:  GREY // VIOLET      42 Votes   22.8%
Option 3:  WHITE // WHITE   93 Votes   50.5%

It is obviously a clear winner for the Ghost switch!

In my opinion this makes for a good basis to start a group buy on. However we will have to wait for a little bit. This is due to the Chinese factories being shutdown due to the Coronavirus outbreak. I am in touch with my rep at Durock who is keeping me updated on the situation. As it currently stands I expect the Group Buy to open late February, about 25th/26th. I am going to run this group buy for only 3 weeks as opposed to 5 weeks like my last few group buys. My recent group buys have had a lot of activity at the start and end with not much in the middle. So I am going to see if this is just wasted time. My reasoning being that if we can get 20,000 switches in 2 weeks of an interest check I am confident we can hit MOQ in 3 weeks of a running Group Buy.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

I have also commissioned @wintheart on Instagram to create some art for a limited edition sticker run to go alongside this Group Buy. I am hoping that this will also create a little buzz for the Ghost Switch.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 February 2020, 14:37:47 by VicareyG »

Offline o3okevin

Re: [IC] Brand New - Durock Silent Linear Switches
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 16:27:19 »
When I have the samples I will use my hotswap GK64 to do a typing test where I can compare them to Gateron Blacks and Cherry MX Silent Blacks.

Why compare to non-silent gateron blacks and not, say, silent ink switches?

Offline yeeterskeeter

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 16:42:44 »
I like how you ignore silent alpacas. These exist already.

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 16:54:01 »

Are Silent Alpacas made by Durock?

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 16:55:19 »
When I have the samples I will use my hotswap GK64 to do a typing test where I can compare them to Gateron Blacks and Cherry MX Silent Blacks.

Why compare to non-silent gateron blacks and not, say, silent ink switches?

Because that's what I have on hand right now. I plan on sourcing other silent switches in the coming weeks, which will hopefully be in time for the typing test. All suggestions for these are welcome!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 17:07:26 »
Very interesting. I'm in for 200 if it happens. Experience shows Durocks are very nice switches.

I'd however be more comfortable with sound tests and comparisons with famous silents, liek Cherry Pinks, Gat Ink Silents and Healios.
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 17:11:07 »
Very interesting. I'm in for 200 if it happens. Experience shows Durocks are very nice switches.

I'd however be more comfortable with sound tests and comparisons with famous silents, liek Cherry Pinks, Gat Ink Silents and Healios.

Added to the list of switches to try and source. I want to have as many as possible to reference on the typing test.

Offline Beerbezerker

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 19:58:51 »
Spring weight? Sound test?

Offline Jhambone9160

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 20:54:19 »
We need some translucent green switches with green stems

Offline Tyson

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 21:42:12 »

Are Silent Alpacas made by Durock?

Yes they are silent durock linears.

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 22:48:51 »
Isn't Zambumon already doing these (Seriko Silent) with Daily Clack and Homerow?

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 02:52:52 »
Isn't Zambumon already doing these (Seriko Silent) with Daily Clack and Homerow?

They could well be the same switch if made by Durock. It has been confirmed that these are the same switch as the Silent Slpaca that PrimeKeyboard will be releasing in January 2020.

Offline VXQN

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 03:26:42 »
Filled in the IC form, surprised to see soo many options for the colours! I would suggest trying to choose something that hasn't been done before to differentiate them from existing swtiches (I say this because there already exists a switch with translucent red housing — Gateron red inks).

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 13:59:25 »
Filled in the IC form, surprised to see soo many options for the colours! I would suggest trying to choose something that hasn't been done before to differentiate them from existing swtiches (I say this because there already exists a switch with translucent red housing — Gateron red inks).

Good point, so far the colour favourites are Milky housing with a white stem. One suggestion is for a black housing with an orange stem. Which strikes me as quite different. Although does seem potentially Carbon inspired.

Offline vi0till

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 02:17:39 »
Any info on this? Would prefer 67g spring weight.

We need some translucent green switches with green stems

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 12:51:00 »
UPDATE: 06-01-20

I have received the sample batch from Durock. I will be recording a typing test hopefully tomorrow.

For now, here's a picture of the samples...

I'm pretty sure they used the Silent Alpaca stems in their standard clear housings ... It is a pretty sweet colour combo...  ;D

Click More for stem images ...
More

Opened Switch
Stem Closeup
Stem Closeup 2.0

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
Re: [IC] Durock Silent Linear Switches
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 13:36:32 »
Nice! Waiting on that typing test!
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline CherryTeam

• Cherry Cherry Lady
Re: [IC] Durock Silent Linear Switches - Stem Pics!
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 00:55:53 »
Nice  :thumb:

Offline VXQN

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 05:37:18 »
Pleased to see this is moving along! Got pretty close to ordering some other switches the other day but then remembered these — I'm happy to wait if it means I can support a UK retailer.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 08:47:30 »
Hmm, so the damping material is on the sides of the slider as well as the top & bottom? How does that effect feel & sound? I've found every damped MX switch I've tried to have a scratchy sound & wonder if this will make it worse or alleviate it?

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 09:56:03 »
Hmm, so the damping material is on the sides of the slider as well as the top & bottom? How does that effect feel & sound? I've found every damped MX switch I've tried to have a scratchy sound & wonder if this will make it worse or alleviate it?

There is a feint scratchy sound when pressed right next to my ear. Will see if it picks up on the typing test when I record it.

Offline jakl

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 10:22:59 »
Healios and silent Cherry switches sometimes get sticky because of lube.
These look like they have a different material for the dampeners.
Could you maybe lube one of the samples when testing to see if these get sticky as well?

Offline vsrnth

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 10:32:33 »
Could you maybe lube one of the samples when testing to see if these get sticky as well?
+1 on this

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 11:02:30 »

I'll give it a go!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 11:10:37 »

I've only had the sticky issue on Gaterons.  Never been a problem on lubed cherry silents for me

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 08:59:53 »

I've only had the sticky issue on Gaterons.  Never been a problem on lubed cherry silents for me

Same, though once in a while I notice a stick on cherrys that have been sitting in a bag in my drawer but we are talking months without use. Gateron would stick overnight in my keyboard whether lubed or not.

Offline Datastream

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 09:12:59 »
Funnily enough i lubed my silent inks and they dont stick.

I wonder how these match up to the other silent durock linears and silent inks.

Especially silent ink considering inks have the dampening on the top and bottom of slider and not the side.
Also, whats the inside of the stem look like?

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
Re: [IC] Durock Silent Linear Switches - Typing Test
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 05:14:12 »
UPDATE - Typing Test - 09-01-2020

Specs:

Board: GK64 - Aluminum body and plate
Keycaps: GMK Nautilus

Silent Linear switches being tested are with 67g springs, straight from the factory without lube.

For all the typing test the microphone was placed behind the keyboard with the centre of the mic being 10cm (4inches) from the number 6 key.

Typing test is on Sound Cloud https://soundcloud.com/user-981972463-667161549/sets/durock-silent-linear-typing-test

Track 1: Typing on silent linears
This was a short paragraph of text yped out

Track 2: ASDFGHJKL
This was the keyboard row ASDFGHJKL  pressed in sequence where keys AGL were Cherry Silent Black switches and the rest were silent linear durock switches. Can you tell the difference?

Track 3: Silent Black A,G,L x 5
This was the three switches AGL as cherry silent blacks, pressed 5 times each, to see for pitch variance based on location on the kyboard

Track 4: Silent Linear A,G,L x5
As track 3 but with Durock Silent Linears.

I am not going to comment to much on the typing experience just yet. My daily driver switches are Kailh Gold or Kailh Bronze. I like clicky switches. However I am going use the silent linear switches in my GK64 for at least a week to get a better feel for them and then I may feel like I am in a position to adequately review them.

However I will say that the feel of pressing the two types of switch MX silent Black vs Durock Silents. The MX switches do have a scratchy feel to them that is more noticeable than the durock switches. This isn't to say that the durock switches don't scratch. They do, it is not as noticeable but it is there. To put a metric to it I would say that the MX Silent Black's are 3-4x more scratchy.

Offline Beerbezerker

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 05:22:52 »
Soundcloud link doesn't work.

Offline vsrnth

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 05:33:19 »
Doesn't work for me either.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 06:17:35 »

Playlist was set to private, should be working now.

Offline SUB01

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 08:51:33 »
If we are talking about silent switches, the stock mx silent switches aren't really the best comparison. I wish there were comparisons to mx zilents, healios, or gat inks to get a better idea of how these sound.

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 10:07:08 »
If we are talking about silent switches, the stock mx silent switches aren't really the best comparison. I wish there were comparisons to mx zilents, healios, or gat inks to get a better idea of how these sound.

When I shopped around for silent switches at the start of the IC everywhere seemed to be out of stock. MX Silent Black is all l I had to make a comparison with.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 January 2020, 13:34:15 by VicareyG »

Offline YungDaff

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 09:34:50 »
When is the GB coming for these? Also, will there be a EU proxy?

Offline Beerbezerker

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 15:55:06 »

Thank, yes working now :)
The single key presses towards the end are nice.

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 13:53:20 »
When is the GB coming for these? Also, will there be a EU proxy?

I'm in the UK so not sure if there is a need for an EU proxy.

As for when GB ... maybe end of the month? There hasn't been a huge response. 113 replies to the form.

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 13:54:17 »

Thank, yes working now :)
The single key presses towards the end are nice.

Good! I tried to cover as many bases as possible! I hadn't recorded a typing test before that!

Offline seon

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 09:00:13 »
As a new product from Durock these do not have a defined colour system. In the IC form there is a section to vote for your favourite colour combination for these new silent switches. 

I didn't see this part in the IC form. Just the number, spring weight, other thoughts and email. Which colour options are there? I really hope this thing happens, as I originally wanted Ink Silents, but those have issues with the loose leaves.
For those interested, there are a few more images of these switches on Durock's Alibaba listing for these.

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 12:58:20 »

I didn't see this part in the IC form. Just the number, spring weight, other thoughts and email. Which colour options are there? I really hope this thing happens, as I originally wanted Ink Silents, but those have issues with the loose leaves.
For those interested, there are a few more images of these switches on Durock's Alibaba listing for these.

I removed the colour option question from the form. the most common answer was white housing white stem. Boring.

Below are some renders I made of colour options that came up. And the popular White//White combo.

More

Offline antx1701

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 09:46:18 »
Love silent linears, love option 3.

Offline vi0till

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 09:57:28 »
Regarding the color choice, this is transparent or milky housing?

Don't seem to see from the render.

I removed the colour option question from the form. the most common answer was white housing white stem. Boring.

Below are some renders I made of colour options that came up. And the popular White//White combo.

More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 14:07:58 »
Regarding the color choice, this is transparent or milky housing?

Don't seem to see from the

The responses were for milky / translucent housing.

I'm likely going to run a second round of IC with the above colour choices, in both opaque and translucent variants for 6 total options.

Offline prangano

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 19:47:06 »
Option 1 is fantastic

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 08:13:08 »

More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I love the look of options 2 and 3, but I think going forward with Option 3 and calling them Ghost switches would be cool for a theme, especially since it's a silent switch.

Offline VXQN

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 09:22:06 »
Not really a fan of option 1. 2 is better but still not my thing (unless the "grey" was really a proper grey). I'm into the idea of "ghost" switches!

Offline UltimateCheeze

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 03:14:16 »
A lot of people say that Gateron silent switches (Gateron, Aliaz, Ink and Zeal) feel like they stick to the top housing a lot. When you try out these Durock silents, can you say if they have this sticky feel, because I am 99% in if the rubber feels similar to Cherries.

In the event I dont join the GB, I will buy them directly from Durock later anyway.

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 08:42:57 »
UPDATE - IC PART 2

I have created a part 2 of this interest check. To further refine the colour choice. Please could you all fill this in even if you had already filled in the original IC.

THIS INTEREST CHECK IS OPEN FOR TWO WEEKS - CLOSES 9th FEBRUARY 2020

« Last Edit: Sun, 26 January 2020, 08:46:33 by VicareyG »

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
Re: [IC] Durock Silent Linear Switches - NEW IC FORM
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 12:58:04 »
Still very interested. The price cut to $0.60/switch motivates me to pick up 200 for future projects. While I voted for gray/violet, I wouldn’t be disappointed if the ghost color scheme wins. The blue/pink has a Miami theme going on, which turns me off a bit.

GL with the rest of your IC!

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 11:22:13 »
Come one everyone! Please vote!

https://forms.gle/Hhcf7LmiATtUvvsw8

3 days left to vote and we are currently at, 110 votes for 12,500 switches. Ghost switch is winning with 48% of the votes.

GO GO GO!

Offline VicareyG

• Vendor - Optic Boards
    • Optic Boards
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 03:58:22 »
Come one everyone! Please vote!

https://forms.gle/Hhcf7LmiATtUvvsw8

3 days left to vote and we are currently at, 110 votes for 12,500 switches. Ghost switch is winning with 48% of the votes.

GO GO GO!

Only 14 hours left to vote in the IC .... come on!