Author Topic: [IC] Evolv | A four year journey complete  (Read 396409 times)

Offline InvXXVII

Re: [IC] Evolv - 75% Keyboard
« Reply #600 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 20:23:23 »
This thing is nuts. Insane Hype.

I dont wanna think about how much dust will get caught on top of that space frame looking thing down below.

Regarding the knob on top of the board, are you getting the additional functionality from in-plane translation of the knob or rotation of the knob about the depth axis of the keyboard? It would be so slick if I could push it horizontally/vertically without it rotating out of plane.

Unfortunately not:

https://imgur.com/BGeH9Wu

Hmmmm okay.

Thanks for the animation!

No problem! Sorry for the poor quality, threw it together really quickly. If I can find a rotary joystick that has lateral functionality, I will switch to it with no hesitation.

WOW. You should consider putting that animation in the original post because first of all, it looks pretty sweet, and, secondly, it perfectly answers the question I was going to ask. That animation made me go from "thinking about this board" to "definitely will join GB" (depending on price of course). I look forward to future updates.

Offline Guns

Re: [IC] Evolv 75%
« Reply #601 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 19:58:13 »
Is this IC dead or?
My life's been a circle of violence and degradation long as I can remember. I'm ready to tie it off.

Offline InvXXVII

« Reply #602 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 21:16:53 »
Is this IC dead or?

Still alive and working on prototypes. Join their Discord for more frequent updates.

Offline Qwapa

« Reply #603 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 19:21:24 »
This is sooo amazing :D the polycarb is sooo nice!  :thumb:

Offline Butterbeer

« Reply #604 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 22:51:52 »
According to Nathan, the Evolv has been handed over to vendors.

If anyone has any information on where to get new updates or which vendors will be moving this project forward please leave a post. The Discord has been archived. Thanks!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #605 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 00:33:14 »

If anyone has any information on where to get new updates or which vendors will be moving this project forward please leave a post. The Discord has been archived. Thanks!

Yes, indeed. As far as PCB goes, it is in full active development and I fully intend to make this happen. I am still waiting for the vendors to contact me.
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline bobsacamano

« Reply #606 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 10:17:05 »
Been away from GH for a while. I remember the original iteration of this and being excited for this. Hope it still happens.

Offline General_Pretzel

« Reply #607 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 19:09:24 »

Yes, indeed. As far as PCB goes, it is in full active development and I fully intend to make this happen. I am still waiting for the vendors to contact me.

Is there a discord or something where we can track progress? I understand wanting to take a break or whatever, but it's kind of lame that no information was given on how to continue following along on the project. Geekhack is just not a super reliable place to follow along on these sorts of projects.

Offline bananarama

« Reply #608 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 20:38:33 »
Pretty board love the design, except for the knob. I don't know why but to me at least knobs don't belong on boards. Just looks weird to me. Good luck.

Offline tsukune1349

« Reply #609 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 21:51:56 »
For the Discord members, what did Nathan mean by "The board has been handed over to vendors"?

Will they start to sell it at their own convenience or will they wait for Nathan to come back and resume the project? o.O

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #610 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 01:05:55 »
For the Discord members, what did Nathan mean by "The board has been handed over to vendors"?

Will they start to sell it at their own convenience or will they wait for Nathan to come back and resume the project? o.O

From what I understand, vendors will take the projects forward.
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
« Reply #611 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 04:00:09 »
Hi all. We've currently got the reins for the project in Nathan's absence. We look forward to sharing more information in the future soon!

Offline tsukune1349

« Reply #612 on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 05:30:43 »
Hi all. We've currently got the reins for the project in Nathan's absence. We look forward to sharing more information in the future soon!

Great news, looking forward to the GB  :thumb:

Offline PradyXT

« Reply #613 on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 07:24:44 »
I love this layout, you seem so dedicated! This is like a work of art. I agree with the utility > design part. The knob just makes it look better than a useless badge.

Offline Ranger_Trivette

« Reply #614 on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 07:37:59 »
how is the base obtained?
by molt? welded? cnc milled?

Offline NoThankYou

« Reply #615 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 21:37:52 »
I'm interested in following this case!  Though for some reason, I can't join the discord.
Could I possibly get a different discord link?

Offline brodiegrizz

« Reply #616 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 22:11:32 »
love this aesthetic, super excited and will be joining the disc

Offline General_Pretzel

« Reply #617 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 12:51:05 »

How soon can we expect an update on this? Where will more details be shared? Is there a new Discord channel we can join to follow along?

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
« Reply #618 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 17:35:33 »
At the moment we are just in pre-preperation. Nathan is taking some time off and we've still got some things in discussion - Unfortunately we don't have a tentative date for the next update but rest assured we will get this moving as quickly as possible  :thumb:

Lead times and part shortages (Particularly micro controllers) are causing havoc to supply chains presently, so we can afford to take some time and get it 100%.

Offline eljudio42

« Reply #619 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 21:28:59 »
At the moment we are just in pre-preperation. Nathan is taking some time off and we've still got some things in discussion - Unfortunately we don't have a tentative date for the next update but rest assured we will get this moving as quickly as possible  :thumb:

Lead times and part shortages (Particularly micro controllers) are causing havoc to supply chains presently, so we can afford to take some time and get it 100%.

Will the discord still be the place to stay up to date for the board going forward or will it be this post or another discord?

Here's a link for those in need https://discord.gg/KhNs3JSagK

Offline Lioot

« Reply #620 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 06:20:07 »
Looks great, hope we get more info soon

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #621 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 17:06:06 »

Will the discord still be the place to stay up to date for the board going forward or will it be this post or another discord?

Here's a link for those in need https://discord.gg/KhNs3JSagK
I don't think the Discord server will work. All channels have been locked and only 3 remain. Our best option is to stay tuned to this thread, unless the guys who took over the project have another server, that would be great!

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 July 2021, 17:07:51 by Alejo1707 »

Offline Gabrielcr78

« Reply #622 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 11:43:31 »
Hell, any one know if this will be available to purchase any soon? also.. will there be an ISO layout?
thanks!

Offline KeyCartel

• Build it
« Reply #623 on: Fri, 06 August 2021, 19:12:41 »
honestly, the alu cast is awesome. very unique.

CREATE TO INSPIRE

Offline General_Pretzel

« Reply #624 on: Mon, 09 August 2021, 23:02:21 »

Any updates yet? It'd be a real shame for this project to just die off.

Offline noah1001

« Reply #625 on: Mon, 09 August 2021, 23:07:23 »
is there any new update?

Offline iNKY Studio

• long-term partner with Domikey
« Reply #626 on: Tue, 10 August 2021, 02:03:09 »
nice one

Offline clackeys

• Clackeys
« Reply #627 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 10:26:19 »
Crossing my fingers this project happens

Offline Jojo.NGNS

« Reply #628 on: Mon, 16 August 2021, 07:58:20 »
Whoa i thought this was just some render for fun but itd be really awesome if this actually went up for sale! Hopefully there will be some more updates in the future,, this really would NOT be something youd want to miss out on...

Offline General_Pretzel

« Reply #629 on: Mon, 13 September 2021, 00:06:13 »
No updates from SwitchKeys since June. Doesn't make me confident this project will ever actually happen. :(

I'm curious why SwitchKeys were even chosen to run the project - have they ever produced their own keyboard? They just seem like any other vendor selling third-party products. It seems like there could've been others that could've made this project a bit more of a priority. Not hating, but just really sad this project will likely never come to life.

Offline Diggidy

« Reply #630 on: Mon, 13 September 2021, 07:11:08 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 October 2023, 05:36:21 by Diggidy »

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #631 on: Mon, 13 September 2021, 08:43:07 »
Guys, things take time, specially with how crazy the available of raw materials and components is at the moment. Let's give the boys a chance and hope to hear more about everything soon!

Offline santela

« Reply #632 on: Wed, 15 September 2021, 20:29:02 »
As it often happens in this hobby - ambitious projects can take too long and the hype dies off or the project is dead itself. Would be a shame for this project to go away tho, still remember the immense hype when it was first announced.

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
« Reply #633 on: Wed, 15 September 2021, 21:14:28 »
Guys, things take time, specially with how crazy the available of raw materials and components is at the moment. Let's give the boys a chance and hope to hear more about everything soon!

Exactly this! Nathan has been working hard behind the scenes and there will be more news to share later on in the year, or early next. There will be an update the moment there is something newsworthy to share.

Best,

Stef

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #634 on: Thu, 16 September 2021, 07:17:06 »

Exactly this! Nathan has been working hard behind the scenes and there will be more news to share later on in the year, or early next. There will be an update the moment there is something newsworthy to share.

Best,

Stef
Oh s*t! It's alive!

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #635 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 23:16:18 »
As it often happens in this hobby - ambitious projects can take too long and the hype dies off or the project is dead itself. Would be a shame for this project to go away tho, still remember the immense hype when it was first announced.

Ambitious? Most certainly.

Dead?

Hell no. Evolving.

Offline Thockologist

• Formerly PoorlyDrawnKeebs
« Reply #636 on: Tue, 05 October 2021, 02:22:43 »
The board looks absolutely incredible. The even spacing for the arrow cluster and page up/page down/etc keys looks so much better than boards that have different spacing, always found it mildly irritating that the spacing on the side cluster for some broads was a small amount larger than the spacing for the arrow cluster.

If the limited group buy for the all metal one goes well do you think you'll do another run? I'm guessing there wouldn't be more than a couple or few hundred so NathanAlphaMan do the QC they want but this could mean tons of people who didn't win the raffle would be very eager for a second run of the all-metal version.

Offline Sedula

« Reply #637 on: Fri, 08 October 2021, 13:20:35 »
There will be an update the moment there is something newsworthy to share.

Checking in every so often even just to say "nothing new" is newsworthy. It lets people know that projects aren't abandoned and builds confidence in your commitment to communication and transparency. Going completely silent is not a professional look and erodes trust. Stopping by even just to make a simple post like this is very reassuring to the people following the project.

Offline Thockologist

« Reply #638 on: Thu, 14 October 2021, 03:04:59 »
Checking in every so often even just to say "nothing new" is newsworthy. It lets people know that projects aren't abandoned and builds confidence in your commitment to communication and transparency. Going completely silent is not a professional look and erodes trust. Stopping by even just to make a simple post like this is very reassuring to the people following the project.

I'm not certain if they're going to continue the idea of making the Evolv (or possibly just no longer doing a raffle GB). In their discord I mentioned something along the lines of waiting for the Evolv GB raffle that was being planned and the response to it was "Evolv raffle? Chaos having effects already. We in imagination land" ("Chaos having effects" was in reference to previous discussion about GMK Chaos) so it could be the radio silence is because the board is no longer going to be made. They apparently spoke to manufacturers about numbers but that was a fair while ago and nothing in the Discord about it has been said since then, other than the nebulous imagination land thing. I hope it's not out of line to share things that were mentioned in the Discord.

I definitely agree about the complete silence on the project not being a good sign, especially if big moves relating to its production. In my opinion talking to manufacturers is definitely newsworthy enough for a quick post.

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #639 on: Thu, 14 October 2021, 10:47:08 »

I'm not certain if they're going to continue the idea of making the Evolv (or possibly just no longer doing a raffle GB). In their discord I mentioned something along the lines of waiting for the Evolv GB raffle that was being planned and the response to it was "Evolv raffle? Chaos having effects already. We in imagination land" ("Chaos having effects" was in reference to previous discussion about GMK Chaos) so it could be the radio silence is because the board is no longer going to be made. They apparently spoke to manufacturers about numbers but that was a fair while ago and nothing in the Discord about it has been said since then, other than the nebulous imagination land thing. I hope it's not out of line to share things that were mentioned in the Discord.

I definitely agree about the complete silence on the project not being a good sign, especially if big moves relating to its production. In my opinion talking to manufacturers is definitely newsworthy enough for a quick post.

This only shows part of the picture and only shows your current stance on the project. Yes, there has not been a formal announcement, and that is indeed sad to the people not present on their discord. I just joined to corroborate your information so I can provide a clearer picture without your bias. STEW, who is a member of SwitchKeys said specifically this:

"evolv raffle? wow chaos having effects already. We in imagination land"

This means nothing, just that there are no plans on launching the keyboard yet.

I took a little more time and searched for more information on the board status and found this as well:

"evolve might be closer to double the price of the bubble"
       -STEW, 09/28/2021

Considering the date, it looks like things are moving forward, moreover, STEFF looks like has a proto of the board, and one of his posts on August of this year states this:

Latest revisions from @TeamKate

My opinion on your posts is the same I have for most people talking on the Fourteen server about the Whimsy, you over-hyped a keyboard that was at least started by a fellow enthusiast who might run a different agenda, with keebing on the side. Nathan passed the project down to SK for personal reasons, and from what I can tell, SK is working hard towards finalizing it. About the lack of information being shared, well, it's their product and they have the right to do with it whatever they want, we haven't put any money into it, and all the protos and failed tests are coming out of their pockets if the product never goes live. Limited information usually kills interest on people, but once again, that is their decision and they are entitled to it.

Finally, I would like to ask to all people reading not to hype the project, take it as it is at the moment: a keyboard in development that might or might not happen. Be conscious buyers and enthusiasts. I love the design and of course would love to have one in my hands and will be very excited if it ever goes live and manage to snatch one out, but we are not there yet, so why get frustrated?

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #640 on: Thu, 14 October 2021, 11:40:17 »
Calm down, people. Further developments are on their way, we are committed to delivering this.

Offline mcmcmc

« Reply #641 on: Fri, 15 October 2021, 09:57:17 »
gud i likey

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #642 on: Sat, 16 October 2021, 14:24:32 »
Guys I'll be streaming some firmware work for the Evolv protos today at 9PM BRT (in about 4h 30 mins).We will implement some nice little feature I call "encoder modes"!

Offline ylothar

• Yo Ho Ho!
    • KEEB.it
« Reply #643 on: Sun, 17 October 2021, 03:04:13 »
Guys I'll be streaming some firmware work for the Evolv protos today at 9PM BRT (in about 4h 30 mins).We will implement some nice little feature I call "encoder modes"!

I missed that!  :eek:
Is it possible to view the stream recording?
«How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?»

Offline Thockologist

« Reply #644 on: Sun, 17 October 2021, 07:41:50 »
I missed that!  :eek:
Is it possible to view the stream recording?

The VOD is up on his twitch channel (same name as here).

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #645 on: Sun, 17 October 2021, 11:50:52 »
For you people that are interested, here's the VOD:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1178870430

In order to understand what's going on, I recommend watching from 02:06:20 : https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1178870430?t=02h06m20s

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #646 on: Sun, 17 October 2021, 12:13:42 »
Let me explain what is going on.

For some time now I've been thinking that encoder implementations on keyboards were kind of lame. Generally they do one thing and one thing only, like control your computer volume, all time and there's no way to change that during runtime; to change encoder functionality you need to download QMK, program your own encoder, flash the PCB... Yuck, right? There were some implementations here and there that did it something a little bit more sophisticated, but for the most part that is pretty much it. It just felt... frustrating that I would use my car radio and its simple encoder would do it all, from controlling the volume to doing equalizer, to tuning stations. Encoders are meant for greatness, and as the great philosopher Hineybush once said: if you want to be a knob, then be a knob.

For some time now some keyboard designers have tackled this problem in a myriad of ways; for instance, Jack Humbert tried to implement an encoder matrix. See this video:

Jack's implementation makes it possible to hook up multiple encoders to a keyboard using minimal MCU pins. In that implementation, one encoder would, say, control computer volume, another encoder controls LED brightness, another one mimicks mouse wheel, and the list goes on. Myself I tried something similar on Sagittarius (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107023.0) which (and I didn't see this at the time) is kind of unnecessary... So it came out as a huge meme, culminating with the Simon stream ganking me and I just gave up into madness and "designed" a full encoder Sagittarius which we sent to Taeha Types DMs in Discord because he complained about encoders during the Sagittarius build stream (sorry Nathan, it was bigger me...)

So in short, it is really difficult to make a keyboard support multiple encoder funcionalities in a friendly way that allows the user to seamlessly switch between functionalities.

For Evolv, I still wanted to tackle this problem, but I came up with a lightbulb idea: something I call "encoder modes". The idea here being, the encoder has different modes of operation which can be selected by holding the encoder click for ~2s, which cycles between modes, or pressing layer 1 and rotating the encoder, which also cycles between the modes back and forth. The way you know what mode is up at a given instant is that the RGBs glow a specific color for each mode.

So, for instance, on my stream video, what I do is, I have three encoder modes:

• A pink mode, which I call "media mode": rotating does vol up/down, click does mute, directionals do next/previous song, stop and play.
  • A cyan mode, called "application mode": the rotating does alt-tabbing and the click closes it (once you rotate the encoder the alt-tab application menu pops up and you can select an application by either clicking the encoder or waiting for 2s); horizontal directionals cycle between application tabs doing ctrl+tab or ctrl+shift+tab (this would change between Chrome tabs for instance) and vertical directionals do page up/down
  • An yellow mode, called "mouse mode": rotating does mousewheel up and down, clicking does mouseclick, and directionals do arrows

These modes are fully user-programmable and customizable, by the way, like adding or removing encoder modes, changing their specific colors, list goes on.

And my thoughts are: this works! This does the trick! The encoder has multiple funcionalities which I can switch among easily and seamlessly. I am very, very happy with this.

However, the directionals are way too much. They make the encoder and the modes kind of way too complicated... And I get that the whole theme about Evolv is to be just a on-your-face overengineered keyboard, but the way the directionals are they just harm the experience more than they add to the core theme. I'm talking to Nathan AlphaMan to switch back into your common EC11E encoder which does rotation and click, but no directionals. This way, everything would be much more clear-cut: we'd still have the encoder modes, but whatever the directionals do can be programmed into another encoder mode or another key in another layer.

In any case, the stream was kind of quiet (firmware streams always are) but I had a blast doing it. There are some things to flush out still (the joystic encoder has a problem with the click and the directionals, they all activate at the same time and it's horrible to deal with software-wise).

So yeah, I am pretty happy with what Evolv has become in this encoder thing. This is what peak encoder performance looks like you guys.

LOOK AT ME, HINEY. I AM BECOME KNOBMAN.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 October 2021, 12:30:59 by Gondolindrim »

Offline ylothar

• Yo Ho Ho!
    • KEEB.it
« Reply #647 on: Sun, 17 October 2021, 15:55:29 »
Very very nice :cool:
«How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?»

Offline General_Pretzel

« Reply #648 on: Mon, 18 October 2021, 11:50:10 »
Thanks for the update! It is very much appreciated and I hope things continue to progress with this board. Keep 'em coming!

Would love to see the GB for this run sometime next year, if possible.

Offline Technofrikus

« Reply #649 on: Mon, 18 October 2021, 16:03:04 »
Check out vial. With that you can easily program encoders on the fly (like via). With full qmk functionality. So layers work the encoder as well.
But your encoder mode is nice as well. Haven't seen the stream so not sure how you implemented it. But a bit more permanent than layers.