Author Topic: [IC] GMK 2002  (Read 46219 times)

Offline whirlwind

Re: [IC] GMK 2002
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 23:13:52 »
I hope this runs

Offline Yato

• Hampter.
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 23:29:26 »
full set would be really nice
discord: matas#1111

Offline KZzzz

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 01 January 2021, 19:15:01 »
I was born this year. Maybe I'll get one for sentimental purposes?

Offline pngu

• send noots
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 06:36:19 »
Hey, sorry for the lack of updates.

I've asked mykeyboard.eu to adopt the project if they'd like to, which they said they'd love, but nothing ever happened after that. I'd love to see this run but I'm also not great at organizing stuff or being pushy. So if somebody, be it a vendor or another community member, wants to push this forward I'll happily hand over access to the IC results and all that.

As was the case with my involvement in GMK Missing Keys I did not and do not intend to claim this thing as "mine" or getting paid, so if you think you'd be a good daddy (or mommy) for this project - and want to bring this to the community as a service, not a product - hit me up. :)

Cheers

Edit: Just to be clear, it's obvious that vendors and folks like that do need and are entitled to their earnings from running a group buy to make it work at all. There's families to feed. What I was really trying to say that I'd rather not hand over to somebody who's going to ask for a personal cut of $10 per set to add to the retail price, on top of that.
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 January 2021, 06:51:30 by pngu »

Offline necromanx

• mykeyboard.eu
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 15:23:45 »
We still very much want to help you run it.  I was unaware you actually wanted it taken off your hands! :-)

Offline pngu

• send noots
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 15:55:53 »
mykeyboard.eu's necromanx just got in touch with me - there was a bit of a miscommunication at play, I wasn't sufficiently clear that I'd like them to actually take the thing on as a whole (that is, cease to be involved).

From here on out, Poesjuh will handle this project on their behalf. I've given them access to the IC results and they'll keep you posted about their plans. Stay tuned!

Offline ligongduck

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 16:42:14 »
I like the vintage with contemporary feel on this set. I'm in

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 17:17:26 »
mykeyboard.eu's necromanx just got in touch with me - there was a bit of a miscommunication at play, I wasn't sufficiently clear that I'd like them to actually take the thing on as a whole (that is, cease to be involved).

From here on out, Poesjuh will handle this project on their behalf. I've given them access to the IC results and they'll keep you posted about their plans. Stay tuned!

Let's gooo!

Offline hkiri

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 17:31:13 »
Wooo, good news!

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 15:46:17 »
Hi all,

I've been trying to think of what to do with this IC, here are my thoughts and concerns, in no particular order;

• At this moment the kit includes shift keys, fn, escape and bottom row.
    For the shift there is the challenge with regards to new icons versus old icons.
    New icons work with GMK 9009 R3 and onward. Old Icons work with GMK 9009 R2 and most OG Doubleshot sets. I'm not expert on OG sets, but I believe a lot of them have text+icons meaning you'll use the text+icons from this kit as well.
  • The bottom row is only suitable for WKL boards or you would need to have an existing set that has the additional keys to use.
  • Adding more keycaps to the kit will imo make it too expensive. Add-on kits usually run at a fairly low MOQ making them relatively costly. There have been a few requests in the from to add AltGr. I'm personally a big fan of it, but I would rather replace the 1.5u alt with AltGr than add it.
  • There are multiple full GMK Sets on the horizon. For example GMK Red Alert, GMK Classic Arabic.
  • GMK Missing Keys will have a Round 2
  • Should it be offered at the same time as Missing Keys R2
  • Should this even be a groupbuy or in-stock buy

So what I'm mostly wondering is; what is the goal of this kit and where should we aim for?
Is the goal to provide an add-on kit that works on any board assuming you have a fitting set to pair it with (so no GMK 9009 R2), then we should keep it as is and not add a single key.

Imo for this kit to work it needs to be as small as possible.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts :)

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 16:17:33 »
Hi all,

I've been trying to think of what to do with this IC, here are my thoughts and concerns, in no particular order;

For the shift there is the challenge with regards to new icons versus old icons.
    New icons work with GMK 9009 R3 and onward. Old Icons work with GMK 9009 R2 and most OG Doubleshot sets. I'm not expert on OG sets, but I believe a lot of them have text+icons meaning you'll use the text+icons from this kit as well.
  • The bottom row is only suitable for WKL boards or you would need to have an existing set that has the additional keys to use.
  • Adding more keycaps to the kit will imo make it too expensive. Add-on kits usually run at a fairly low MOQ making them relatively costly. There have been a few requests in the from to add AltGr. I'm personally a big fan of it, but I would rather replace the 1.5u alt with AltGr than add it.
  • There are multiple full GMK Sets on the horizon. For example GMK Red Alert, GMK Classic Arabic.

So what I'm mostly wondering is; what is the goal of this kit and where should we aim for?
Is the goal to provide an add-on kit that works on any board assuming you have a fitting set to pair it with (so no GMK 9009 R2), then we should keep it as is and not add a single key.

centered icons would ruin this for me, og icons are superior and the amount of those around far outweighs 9009 r3

i'd argue for the removal of r5 1.25 mods - a requisite is having beige r5 6.25 bottom row and that doesn't exist besides in 9009 r3 to my knowledge? on the other hand, r5 is in the majority of wkl og beige

maybe yellow r5 1u winkeys? this would mean you could make an r4 set into an r5 one for a 60 for example

i like in stock
Hoarder Collector and designer

Classifieds

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 20:01:08 »
treeleaf approved ~
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline hexa

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 20:21:52 »
Big fan.

Offline sneakysnek

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 21:58:29 »
clean and neat-looking, might be thinking of getting it if it comes out. very retro too!

Offline Rx003

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 03:24:47 »
Classic Retro Funky , good luck with the set!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 06:41:11 »
Hi all,

1. Please no new centered icons. Making this with regards to 9009 R3 icon alignment only is a deal breaker. I would imagine the majority of users will be using OG Cherry / Classic Retro variants / KA1953 with this and quite a few of the OG Cherry sets do in fact have icon mods (see missing keys) and some CRP sets.

2. Since this is an add on set, the base set should have an existing bottom row to use with this if you're not using WKL.

3. I would argue for keeping the regular alt key as opposed to replacing it with an alt gr key which doesn't exist in most OG Cherry sets sets except for some ISO-DE boards (I could be wrong). Having no alternative and just being stuck with an alt gr is kind of a bummer. Adding it isn't going to kill the bottom line on this one.

4. I concur.

5. Okay..

6. But, why?

7. The former.

Offline westway

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 09:22:15 »
Hi all,

I've seen this answer a bit late.

This set should, in my opinion, keep OG icon mods. There are a lot of OG sets and previous iterations of 9009 that can benefit of this kit. Plus, GMK KA1953 and Classic Retro come with top left aligned arrows and, to allow using them with 2002 icon mods, these need to be top left aligned. Otherwise you're gonna get centered icons and top left aligned arrows, which would be weird. I add a less solid and maybe wrong motivation: if you read threads of sets with centered icon mods, there are a lot of people that ask for OG icons, while I've almost never seen the opposite. 9009 R3 centered icon mods are probably an annoying thing that people would like to get rid of and, personally, was quite disappointed that the iteration with R5 bottom row, which reminds OG, came with these new icons.

Regarding other questions, I like the kit as it is. Alt Gr is a thing, and it would be great to see in addition (like in GMK RGBYK) and not in place of Alt. I would prefer GB and I am neutral about running this at the same time of Missing Keys R2, since I don't think it is gonna affect the sales.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 March 2021, 09:31:56 by westway »

Offline hexa

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 09:54:56 »
I also agree that centered icons would be a dealbreaker. I am looking to add this to an Originative GMK Classic Retro set, so non-centered icon + text are a must for me, but I also like being able to support OG Cherry sets. This would also provide R5 capabilities which would be nice for me particularly. I am indifferent to timing and other sets, just really want this to run :D

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 11:42:02 »
I'd like to add that if you read the FAQ in the op, it pretty much answers many of these proposed questions.

Offline MyManMart

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 13:19:03 »
This is so good. Yes please.

Offline UGunaLOSE

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 12:31:53 »
<#... gib plox

Offline Sterenke

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 06:11:42 »
+1 for OG

Offline bigapplepietart

• Topre Convert
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 29 August 2021, 12:42:13 »
Following, not a fan of centred icons, but very in for R5 compatibility.
Current:
Heavy Grail (Purple DES V1) | hiney tkl one PC (Orange SKCM Alps) | Lunar II (Green SKCL Alps) | Sho S60 V2 (Purple DES V1) | HHKB Hybrid Type-S (45g Stock Domes)

Past:
Razer Blackwidow (MX Blues) | FC660M (MX Blues) | GH60 (Ergo Clears) | 8x mkI (Vintage Blacks) | Klippe (Sakurios) | Equinox (Sakurios) | MGA (Silent Alpacas) | Kei (Creamsicles) | KFE CE (Alpacas) | Rukia R1 (Durock L7) | H60 (Silent Blacks) | E80-1800 (MX Blacks) | Ottantaquattro (Vintage Blacks) | hbcp (Vintage Blacks) | HHKB Pro 2 (45g Aged Domes) | ADK64 (Blue SKCM Alps) | Palmetto (Ultraglides)

Offline kazenine

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 29 August 2021, 22:09:05 »
when this kit run gb ?

Offline Poesjuh

[IC] GMK 2002
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 04:26:20 »
It never did.

What I have in mind as a kit:

Versus current / original kit:

Color and legend for 1U Super up for debate.

Old icons only.

Offline vladimir108

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 06:57:03 »
ideas:
R3 1.75U "Control" for HHKB
R4+R5: 2x 1U "Alt" for HHKB

Offline AASH

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 10:07:16 »
If it's still possible to suggest kitting changes, i'd love to see this get any form of 40s compat. If OP wants more info about how that can be achieved et all, I'd suggest joining the server (discord.gg/40percents) and ask in #keyset-design. I love this idea, and sincerely hope this happens at some point. Thanks!!
40s, with love

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 13:45:35 »
If it's still possible to suggest kitting changes, i'd love to see this get any form of 40s compat. If OP wants more info about how that can be achieved et all, I'd suggest joining the server (discord.gg/40percents) and ask in #keyset-design. I love this idea, and sincerely hope this happens at some point. Thanks!!

This is a mod add-on ala old school RGB mods generally intended to WKL TKL, it likely isn't appropriate and doesn't really have to be for smaller keyboards.

Offline AASH

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 02 October 2021, 19:14:43 »

This is a mod add-on ala old school RGB mods generally intended to WKL TKL, it likely isn't appropriate and doesn't really have to be for smaller keyboards.
:truetrue: guess I really need a TKL in the Grand scheme of things. Lol. Would still have loved being able to put it on a small WKL board, but it does male sense

40s, with love

40s, with love

Offline pngu

• send noots
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 15 October 2021, 15:18:33 »
ne gmk 2002 avail

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 18 October 2021, 10:11:42 »
ne gmk 2002 avail

I suppose you would need to get in touch with the thread starter to find out  :cool:

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 30 January 2022, 09:47:32 »
Update.

Me and mcmcmc are looking to add 2002 as one of the possible kits to the IC he just launched for beige add-on.

Running and launching a gmk set is apparently really not something for me, but there are people here that want to see this kit come alive and I do want to see that happen for you all.

While there may be minor changes, I truly want to keep the spirit of the kit originally designed by pngu alive and keep it relatively small and affordable.

[IC] GMK Beige Addon & Extension
 https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=2190&share_tid=116126&url=https%3A%2F%2Fgeekhack%2Eorg%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D116126&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk