Author Topic: [IC] KAT Quantum - development paused -  (Read 33688 times)

Offline EURA

Re: [IC] KAT QUANTUM
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 04:23:29 »
Ouch, harsh words Eura, but you know I respect your views regardless. I'm not going to deny I rushed the IC out (*cough* renders in cherry), but the bulk of the work such as colours, kitting and novelties is definitely IC ready for feedback. Could this IC be more fleshed out? Yes. Does it really need to be prior to posting it? No. But that's an off-topic debate on what the GH community's rising expectations of what is considered "IC" ready.  Rushing to IC is not the worst thing in the world, and it's not like I'm just posting a KLE render.
Not that it's a great excuse, but I felt that posting my IC at the same evening as Smokey's; versus a few days later whilst I wait renders would be better, since a) I wanted to pre-emptively avoid being called a copycat (we're both clear we did not steal the idea from the other); b) it's spicier to see reactions simultaneously. It's also clear that we have our differing visions/executions of the same inspiration, and seeing the community's reactions to both would be a more fair evaluation of the merits of each others ideas, versus it being cluttered of baseless accusations.
On a more important and interesting point, and to in regards to the actually purpose of IC, I'd love to know what you actually like and dislike about the design, and what to improve/change.
After further thought and reflection, I'm also not against a collaboration if Smokey is open to it, but that requires two to tango.

I absolutely adore the novelties, specifically the arrow cluster. I think you could actually narrow down on some of the novs, since the kit is pretty big. I like the colors and how vibrant they are on the renders, but I would want to see them color corrected, since I know that the V2 is much darker IRL. I prefer the lighter orange, almost tangerine, that we see, and would be more interested in that than V2, but I know that would have to be a custom color. CP is also not as nearly as white in reality as well, and if you wanted to achieve a starker white like in the renders, I would personally have gone with WS1 or WS2 [the cooler white].

I think your mats are a bit uninteresting and feel a little bland; the concepts are okay, but the compositions of them could use some work.

If you want a more in-depth critique, you know where to find me.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 December 2020, 04:25:11 by EURA »

Offline EURA

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 04:23:54 »

Ouch, harsh words Eura, but you know I respect your views regardless. I'm not going to deny I rushed the IC out (*cough* renders in cherry), but the bulk of the work such as colours, kitting and novelties is definitely IC ready for feedback. Could this IC be more fleshed out? Yes. Does it really need to be prior to posting it? No. But that's an off-topic debate on what the GH community's rising expectations of what is considered "IC" ready.  Rushing to IC is not the worst thing in the world, and it's not like I'm just posting a KLE render.
Not that it's a great excuse, but I felt that posting my IC at the same evening as Smokey's; versus a few days later whilst I wait renders would be better, since a) I wanted to pre-emptively avoid being called a copycat (we're both clear we did not steal the idea from the other); b) it's spicier to see reactions simultaneously. It's also clear that we have our differing visions/executions of the same inspiration, and seeing the community's reactions to both would be a more fair evaluation of the merits of each others ideas, versus it being cluttered of baseless accusations.
On a more important and interesting point, and to in regards to the actually purpose of IC, I'd love to know what you actually like and dislike about the design, and what to improve/change.
After further thought and reflection, I'm also not against a collaboration if Smokey is open to it, but that requires two to tango.

I absolutely adore the novelties, specifically the arrow cluster. I think you could actually narrow down on some of the novs, since the kit is pretty big. I like the colors and how vibrant they are on the renders, but I would want to see them color corrected, since I know that the V2 is much darker IRL. I prefer the lighter orange, almost tangerine, that we see, and would be more interested in that than V2, but I know that would have to be a custom color. CP is also not as nearly as white in reality as well, and if you wanted to achieve a starker white like in the renders, I would personally have gone with WS1 or WS2 [the cooler white].

I think your mats are a bit uninteresting and feel a little bland; the concepts are okay, but the compositions of them could use some work.

« Last Edit: Wed, 09 December 2020, 04:32:14 by EURA »

Offline Bobatype

• Discord ID: BobaSweatandTears#1659
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 04:36:41 »
Two ICs of the same theme is a whole lot more unfortunate than two ICs of differing themes which happen to be very similar in colourway - at least in that case, you'll be appealing to different people. Not sure how you want to run this - is it a secret Cold War race to secure a GB slot? It's a beautiful idea but the obvious tension makes me feel very yikesy. Judging initial reactions on opposing threads may be entertaining for you now, but I don't see any way this will end amicably for either party; it may just end up making both of you look bad to the community, which I'm sure you don't want. As someone who has a million other ideas in the works, you could afford to let this one go...? I for one am very interested in seeing KAT Spacedust/Great Wave progress over this IC :)

No. But maybe I'll go into KAT Spacedust and tell the OP to abandon that project instead.

Or not, because that would be insane.

Fair point, friend. Just... two incredibly similar sets. I don't know. I'd abandon it if I were Boba, but my mama did raise a quitter, and that's all I'd think about doing. Is this fight even worth it? Won't it be a better idea to shelve the idea until after Smokey's GB runs or something? Why the need for conflict, and why the rush? What would you suggest that would result in a better outcome?

It's all good, I know atlanticise is just trying to make peace.

It's not a secret cold war race. I'm not rushing to GB until I'm happy with kitting. Although kitting is more expansive due to Keyreative MOQ system, the split alpha colours has meant it's been a very labor intensive process making me much more liable to errors, as I can't just mindlessly copy existing templates. I also really don't want to ruin the opportunity to do this the best I can for those with less popular layouts. (thanks for all the kitting feedback people!).

Note that I have also sent a message to Smokey offering to to co-op and partner up as co-designers; uniting ideas, and running the concept in one profile first, then the other down the line; but it is ultimately up to him if he wishes to do so. I don't hold anything against him if he declines.

Note, I am definitely still working on those other KAT projects (note that I'm not the sole runner of those sets), and progress is being made behind the scenes despite their lack of active GH updates.
I'm not going to let this go because: I personally prefer white background mods variation which Smokey's version doesn't cover; I think a PBT option would be nice; you can mix and match what you want with the kitting; and I really don't want users of orthos/40s/ergos and other obscure layouts being left out of the fun on a concept where the split alphas shine best.
However I am happy to wait a while if needed, if the Smokey rushes out to GB first, so I don't harm chances of reaching MOQ.
It'd be unfortunate for fans of KAT, and/or obscure layouts to wait, but c'est la vie in the mk community. Good things take time to cook anyways.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 December 2020, 04:39:19 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline harlekein

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 04:38:11 »
Fair point, friend. Just... two incredibly similar sets. I don't know. I'd abandon it if I were Boba, but my mama did raise a quitter, and that's all I'd think about doing. Is this fight even worth it? Won't it be a better idea to shelve the idea until after Smokey's GB runs or something? Why the need for conflict, and why the rush? What would you suggest that would result in a better outcome?
What makes you say the GMK version should run and the KAT version shouldn't?

You see, I have no interest in GMK due to their MOQ system resulting in only catering to 60%+ QWERTY. KAT however is much more versatile. And honestly, even if the kitting worked the same, I'd still prefer KAT.

Nothing you say will make me want to buy the GMK kit, while this offering in KAT is much more interesting to me.

It seems you are more worried about KAT projects you don't like are taking up the queue space for KAT projects you do like.

Seeing you have no dog in this fight, it makes me wonder why you are telling OP to abandon his project? That's not what an IC is for, and frankly, it's egoistic and rude.

Offline atlanticise

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 04:42:06 »
I'm not going to let this go because: I personally prefer white background mods variation which Smokey's version doesn't cover; I think a PBT option would be nice; you can mix and match what you want with the kitting; and I really don't want users of orthos/40s/ergos and other obscure layouts being left out of the fun on a concept where the split alphas shine best.
However I am happy to wait a while if needed, if the Smokey rushes out to GB first, so I don't harm chances of reaching MOQ.

This is very well said! I'd feel more inclined to wait for your set myself, for all of the above reasons, and it's good to know that while the INITIAL IC was rushed out to kind of prove that the idea wasn't copied, you'll still put a lot of work into finalising everything. That you're considering kitting very carefully, and including various colour options as well, really helps in differentiating your set.

I would second Eura's opinion on the colours. You're not going GMK so using stock GMK colours seems redundant to me, and I much prefer the brighter leaning on neon colours in the renders than actual V2 and N5. WS2 would look hella clean too.

Offline atlanticise

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 04:52:08 »
What makes you say the GMK version should run and the KAT version shouldn't?

You see, I have no interest in GMK due to their MOQ system resulting in only catering to 60%+ QWERTY. KAT however is much more versatile. And honestly, even if the kitting worked the same, I'd still prefer KAT.

Nothing you say will make me want to buy the GMK kit, while this offering in KAT is much more interesting to me.

It seems you are more worried about KAT projects you don't like are taking up the queue space for KAT projects you do like.

Seeing you have no dog in this fight, it makes me wonder why you are telling OP to abandon his project? That's not what an IC is for, and frankly, it's egoistic and rude.

Hello harlekein, I really appreciate that you're standing up for Boba as you should. But I do agree with you on everything - I dislike GMK kitting and MOQ system, I prefer KAT profile, etc etc. I'm not trying to tell Boba that he's wrong or his set sucks. I love this set. I'm trying to ask him if he's sure he wants to pursue this, and as you can see, he's already given a pretty solid answer.

On hindsight I do realise that my comment may appear egoistic and rude. In my defense, I have often had conversations with Boba on Discord so it was done in a friend-to-friend kind of way, I wasn't attacking a random stranger like how you may perceive. I was concerned about this blowing out of proportion and harming him, because this community is not nice when there's drama.

Please know that I am not here to fight you or anybody. I didn't even think about queue space, who even thinks of that? I was encouraging him to focus on projects that he's already involved in, because if there is backlash and he ends up not being able to handle it, at least he has that and the support of many people - including me. I'm sorry reading my post rubbed off wrong on you. Boba knows where I'm coming from <3

Offline yui

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 04:58:25 »
Sad not to see French Kit, but this set reminds me so many things  :p
Hi, I am polling the option, but given its lack of popularity based on the sales data of many KAT sets, unfortunately something has to give as the number of SKUs is already high. Text variants of ortho and 40s will be culled (icons will stay).
the problem with custom keyboards in france is that no GB supports french, so the community is small, and as the community is small, GB do not support french and so the loop continues. i switched to US-iso for that reason, but when you try to gift a keyboard this becomes a bigger problem, as you can't tell someone to just suck it up and learn a new layout :) those are my 2 cents on that issue, being french and all, and having coworker want similar keyboards as me but not willing to learn to touch-type or qwerty
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 05:15:26 »

Thanks for the feedback. I do think the novelty kit is bit too large at the moment (was trying to also cover XT-layout, and stepped caps users too).  If I don't' hear back from Valve, I'm thinking of culling some of the ones that might be obvious IP concerns like the portal gun, deployed turret, and reducing the number of bot row modifiers. I may also exploring splitting novelties into a base novelties kit, and an alternate novelty kit, but that might be needlessly complicated.
The renders aren't colour corrected, and I will take a look at my Pantone guide again to see if there's better colour options than the stock GMK colours I originally conceptualised the set with. Stark white can be a bit polarising, which is why I kind of went for CP which GMK Olivia utilises to avoid the WS1 vs WS2 debate.

I agree the mats are a bit simple (some deliberately so), but I will endeavour to make them more interesting. Thanks so much for your opinion; I'll contact you a bit later for more indepth critique when I've done some revisions.

This is very well said! I'd feel more inclined to wait for your set myself, for all of the above reasons, and it's good to know that while the INITIAL IC was rushed out to kind of prove that the idea wasn't copied, you'll still put a lot of work into finalising everything. That you're considering kitting very carefully, and including various colour options as well, really helps in differentiating your set.

I would second Eura's opinion on the colours. You're not going GMK so using stock GMK colours seems redundant to me, and I much prefer the brighter leaning on neon colours in the renders than actual V2 and N5. WS2 would look hella clean too.

Thanks! Yes I"m not going to rush to GB. Compromising on quality/accuracy helps no-one and I have other sets I'm co-designing I'd rather prioritise first. So I'm sorry to those interested if this takes a while, but I promise it will take less time than it took for GMK Black Lotus to get from IC to GB  ;D
I hear you on the colours. I'll request some renders that are a bit more colour calibrated so a fairer comparison between options are better.

the problem with custom keyboards in france is that no GB supports french, so the community is small, and as the community is small, GB do not support french and so the loop continues. i switched to US-iso for that reason, but when you try to gift a keyboard this becomes a bigger problem, as you can't tell someone to just suck it up and learn a new layout :) those are my 2 cents on that issue, being french and all, and having coworker want similar keyboards as me but not willing to learn to touch-type or qwerty

I know you French users are small in number, but very passionate and active in the community asking for compatibility.  I do feel for you, and so I will try and see what I can do (I have left it as an option in the feedback form), but can't promise.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 07:19:17 »
Hello harlekein, I really appreciate that you're standing up for Boba as you should. But I do agree with you on everything - I dislike GMK kitting and MOQ system, I prefer KAT profile, etc etc. I'm not trying to tell Boba that he's wrong or his set sucks. I love this set. I'm trying to ask him if he's sure he wants to pursue this, and as you can see, he's already given a pretty solid answer.

On hindsight I do realise that my comment may appear egoistic and rude. In my defense, I have often had conversations with Boba on Discord so it was done in a friend-to-friend kind of way, I wasn't attacking a random stranger like how you may perceive. I was concerned about this blowing out of proportion and harming him, because this community is not nice when there's drama.

Please know that I am not here to fight you or anybody. I didn't even think about queue space, who even thinks of that? I was encouraging him to focus on projects that he's already involved in, because if there is backlash and he ends up not being able to handle it, at least he has that and the support of many people - including me. I'm sorry reading my post rubbed off wrong on you. Boba knows where I'm coming from <3

Alright, no harm done. I might be a bit overprotective here. It's just that for me the GMK version is not even an option or consideration, so for this set to take a backseat instead seems unreasonable to me.

In the game of keyboards and keycaps, we are all used to waiting a long time, so I do agree that it is best for this IC to fully develop before the GB takes place. Anyway, I'll shut up about it, and I'll let the focus go back to the actual set.

Offline vurtomatic

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 20:28:31 »
How many artists have painted flowers? Picasso painted them, Monet painted them, Van Gogh painted them, Murakami "paints" them. Nobody would confuse them. It's not like someone is ripping off someone else. These are different executions of the same concept and we've seen so many instances of this in life outside of this niche hobby.

If it's established and accepted that this is unfortunate timing, why should they now be mutually exclusive? It's not a monopoly. This healthy "competition" has presented us with options, isn't it a free market?

FWIW IMHO, a color scheme isn't a concept. Seeing the ESC and Enter novelties sold the concept for me. IMHO this is a better execution of the Portal concept. It's simple as that to me.  :p :thumb:

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 20:36:48 »
How many artists have painted flowers? Picasso painted them, Monet painted them, Van Gogh painted them, Murakami "paints" them. Nobody would confuse them. It's not like someone is ripping off someone else. These are different executions of the same concept and we've seen so many instances of this in life outside of this niche hobby.

If it's established and accepted that this is unfortunate timing, why should they now be mutually exclusive? It's not a monopoly. This healthy "competition" has presented us with options, isn't it a free market?

FWIW IMHO, a color scheme isn't a concept. Seeing the ESC and Enter novelties sold the concept for me. IMHO this is a better execution of the Portal concept. It's simple as that to me.  :p :thumb:
You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a TV. You wouldn't steal a set of keycaps. Copying colors is stealing.

Offline vurtomatic

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 21:06:57 »
What you said shows we're approaching this completely differently and aren't even on the same page.

(PLUS, who's stealing from who anyway? My caveat was, if we've established and accept this is unfortunate timing — why should it be an either or situation?)

My POV is, I accept that these two sets appeared at the same time and if nobody is stealing from the other, then I'm happy to have the options. And between these two options, I rationally expressed why this set works for me. I did not say "the other set rocks because it came out earlier" or "I love the other set" because I only had one option to love.

I didn't decide there is a guilty party here who should "suffer the consequences" and withdraw their IC. I'm not looking for culprits and blame, I'm appreciating this windfall and the luxury of choosing something that "works for me".

From what you wrote, your POV is there IS a guilty party who ripped the other off, hence there can only be ONE. IP theft is certainly a serious issue and if you feel this is such a case, escalate it if such channels are available. I doubt these folks will cancel their IC based on your unsubstantiated accusation of theft.

I expressed my POV, you have yours, no need to refute. :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 December 2020, 21:22:44 by vurtomatic »

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 21:40:28 »
Chill dude, I was kidding

Offline psxndc

[IC] KAT QUANTUM
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 23:03:18 »
And just for the record, originality (you came up with your idea independently from the other person’s) is a defense to copyright infringement. :-P
Ortho. Always.

Offline wolverine92

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 23:38:59 »
I wondered about this when I saw the other set.   But KAT got more of my attention and I like the Gel Icon sets on this. In the end, both sets might infringe on some copyright. But I doubt one stole from the other. Assuming this one moves forward, I would definitely join the GB.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 00:43:38 »
As much as I love that there is passionate discussion/debate there is about how there are two sets, because it just keeps bumping this thread to the front page, I will probably decline to further comment on this topic as I've said all that needs to be said, and focus on the design of this set itself.
Both sets are valid, no-one copied each other, we copied from the same source haha. People can pick what they prefer.
Unfortunately Smokey has politely declined collaborating and thus will proceed with his own vision at a much different timeline.
I will elect to take my sweet time improving the kitting as it's been a bit of a gnarly beast trying to account for left vs right side placements of all keys. Furthermore communicating with manufacturer tends to happen at much a slower pace with Keyreative than GMK.

In regards to copyright infringement, the company in this regard has historically taken a gentle approach to fan-based inspirations, but I am aware of concerns especially in regards to novelty designs. The other set takes a much more conservative approach in this regards, however I'd rather toe the line to a bit more faithful, because I think it looks 100x better this way.
The aperture symbol and cake are not 1:1 copies and I think are fair grounds for use, alongside the generic atom symbol. I really do think the escaping/entering exit sign symbol man is core to the novelty kit and I don't intend on changing that if possible at all, especially on Esc/enter, and arrow keys. I do wonder if I have gone overboard with also adding spacebars, and a R3 one purely for Vim users.
Due to the size of the novelty kit I was already thinking of culling/moving the portal gun and deployed turret designs away; and potentially slimming down bot row modifiers. I do wish to keep the chibi turret, and the robot core buddy if possible though, but the latter's design may need to be stripped down a bit more.

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 00:50:51 »
Also thank you to all those who have pointed a few kitting issues that will happen soon TM:

- adding mod-colored versions of [R4] 1u backtick/tilde, 1u backslash,  and 1.5u backslash in their respective modifiers kits (thanks to Nopunin10did)
- 40s kit will be updated as per 40s discord server suggestions (thanks to Konstantin and Dr Ratsby)
- Spacebar gradients need to be revamped
- ergo, 40s and ortho will likely remain icons only

- adding Iso enters and 1.25 left shift, to respective modifier kits, so even non-UK (Nordic/Spanish etc.) Iso users have access to those keys. (thanks to Nopunin10did)
- this consequently means I will likely have to shift the remaining UK ISO alpha keys into the main alphas (noted that the R2 is currently incorrectly coloured), OR decide to keep them split off as separate, but unconventionally include the Iso enter novelty keys in there. (I'd also similarly add Iso novelty keys to the obscure alphas as well, this way the main novelties kit costs are kept lower).

- Novelty kit needs to be trimmed down (unsure if spacebar novelties should remain; and portal gun might go, or kept to just one key for now)
- Two variants of novelty kits will likely be required given there are two versions of modifier colours; as the the current bot row modifiers currently on satisfies one camp

In the mean-time, I'm eagerly awaiting KAT renders; and re-looking at other options for orange and blue (current renders are inaccurate in displaying what V2 and N5 actually look in reality).

« Last Edit: Thu, 10 December 2020, 00:56:15 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline wolverine92

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 07:13:21 »
Your ortho gel icon set nails it. Having just icons is fine by me and I appreciate having the extra blanks in each row, along with the 1.5u so I can use on my Lily58. I would place my order today, but yes, take your time to get this right. This will be a very sought after set once it is done.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 07:44:55 »
Love the kit design.  Interested.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline RA Can

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 22:45:18 »
I've been waiting for this since long time.. you monster
btw discord link not working

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 22:51:59 »
I've been waiting for this since long time.. you monster
btw discord link not working

Profile pic checks out.

Care for some lemons?

Offline Hell-es

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 13 December 2020, 03:46:01 »
Regarding colors - could this be matched to KAT Blanks / Milkshake / Refined to use it with all these sets

Really like the theme

Offline xlSantos

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 13 December 2020, 04:52:13 »
I am looking forward to this one, I have a deep connection with Portal with a friend I don't speak to anymore.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 13 December 2020, 05:56:15 »
When I started playing portal I did not expect to loose days until it was complete.  Love that game so much.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 13 December 2020, 17:44:24 »
There are objectively too many amazing KAT sets coming out.

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 13 December 2020, 19:24:49 »
Also thank you to all those who have pointed a few kitting issues that will happen soon TM:

- adding mod-colored versions of [R4] 1u backtick/tilde, 1u backslash,  and 1.5u backslash in their respective modifiers kits (thanks to Nopunin10did)
- 40s kit will be updated as per 40s discord server suggestions (thanks to Konstantin and Dr Ratsby)
- Spacebar gradients need to be revamped
- ergo, 40s and ortho will likely remain icons only

- adding Iso enters and 1.25 left shift, to respective modifier kits, so even non-UK (Nordic/Spanish etc.) Iso users have access to those keys. (thanks to Nopunin10did)
- this consequently means I will likely have to shift the remaining UK ISO alpha keys into the main alphas (noted that the R2 is currently incorrectly coloured), OR decide to keep them split off as separate, but unconventionally include the Iso enter novelty keys in there. (I'd also similarly add Iso novelty keys to the obscure alphas as well, this way the main novelties kit costs are kept lower).

- Novelty kit needs to be trimmed down (unsure if spacebar novelties should remain; and portal gun might go, or kept to just one key for now)
- Two variants of novelty kits will likely be required given there are two versions of modifier colours; as the the current bot row modifiers currently on satisfies one camp

In the mean-time, I'm eagerly awaiting KAT renders; and re-looking at other options for orange and blue (current renders are inaccurate in displaying what V2 and N5 actually look in reality).

Cheers, mate! I’m lookin forward to it!

Offline MakerJake

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 12:00:42 »
I think this is a really cool set and design but I have heard some not so good things about KATs quality.

Edit: To be more clear, I have heard/seen that some KAT had sets quality issues. I don't know whether that still happens or if it was a problem long in the past. Has that been fixed/does that happen now? I really like this set and the designs so I want to make sure it will be as great as it looks. also, I'm not sure if this was the best place to ask this.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 December 2020, 12:57:35 by MakerJake »

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 12:37:36 »
I think this is a really cool set and design but I have heard some not so good things about KATs quality.
Such as? I've participated in every KAT groupbuy that has offered colevrak, which is most of them. There were a few legend issues from KAT Milkshake that Keyreative and vendors remedied posthaste. Other than that I've heard of 0 issues. KAT Eternal is/was flawless.

There are a **** ton of KAT sets that have come before this one, some of which have concluded groupbuys. Saying you've 'heard some not so good things' in this IC about KATs quality is really uninformed imho.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 December 2020, 12:41:15 by KingOfMemes »

Offline MakerJake

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 12:52:13 »
Such as? I've participated in every KAT groupbuy that has offered colevrak, which is most of them. There were a few legend issues from KAT Milkshake that Keyreative and vendors remedied posthaste. Other than that I've heard of 0 issues. KAT Eternal is/was flawless.

There are a **** ton of KAT sets that have come before this one, some of which have concluded groupbuys. Saying you've 'heard some not so good things' in this IC about KATs quality is really uninformed imho.
I have heard that there have been some issues with KAT sets. If that's no longer as true I am happy to be corrected. I should have added more content to my original comment to make it more clear. And on this thread might not have been the best place to put that. I do see how it can be seen as unrelated but at the time I though it was close enough as it had to do with the manufacturing of the set, sorry if it wasn't. 
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 December 2020, 13:06:56 by MakerJake »

Offline geohammy

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 14:16:41 »
Drama aside, I really like this! If this comes into fruition it will definitely be my first KAT set. GLWIC!
Unagi, Bias, Dolphin, XTAL

Join the YVKB Discord:
https://discord.gg/pCjDYqup6r

Offline Chronicle

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 17:04:32 »
I really do think the escaping/entering exit sign symbol man is core to the novelty kit and I don't intend on changing that if possible at all, especially on Esc/enter, and arrow keys.
I just wanted to chime in and say that the Esc/Enter showing in the render is my favourite part of the design, so I would hate to see them changed. I agree that it's the "core" to the kit; I like the focus on that over the portals.

Hoping to see the KAT renders soon!

Offline kk73715

• Why are you even reading
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 02:29:33 »
I'm not too familiar with the details behind keycap design, but would it be possible to use GMK font?

I ask this because KAT Refined does this and if KAT can continue to keep the font this would be huge news. Yes there would be more similarities with the current GMK equivalent but this should just incentivise both designers to make their respective designs more unique. Timing is untimely but there isn't much you can do anymore.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 06:41:44 »
I'm not too familiar with the details behind keycap design, but would it be possible to use GMK font?

I ask this because KAT Refined does this and if KAT can continue to keep the font this would be huge news. Yes there would be more similarities with the current GMK equivalent but this should just incentivise both designers to make their respective designs more unique. Timing is untimely but there isn't much you can do anymore.

It's possible to do if MacSurfy shares his files, but regardless I don't feel like it would fit this set.

Personally I'd love if the set used FF DIN Bold, as it'd match the Portal aesthetic perfectly.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 08:15:22 »
Love everything about this.  That 1st deskmat in black is just perfect.

Systems -
More

Keyboards -
More

Offline penvellynn

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 21 December 2020, 22:58:18 »
i'll take your entire stock

Offline parablol

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 23 December 2020, 02:10:47 »
Best IC I've seen on here in a long time

Offline LordOwen

« Reply #86 on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 07:46:29 »
The kit looks amazing! I'm looking forward to eventually jumping in on it when the time comes.

Also, it looks like the Discord link is broken or expired :/

Offline GogNogler

Re: [IC] KAT Quantum
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 17:33:14 »
Just curious if you're still working on this set. Trying to decide to wait on this one or hop on that GMK gb.

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 21:57:32 »
Just curious if you're still working on this set. Trying to decide to wait on this one or hop on that GMK gb.

Hi! Yes, I'm still slowly working on this set. I've just been a bit quiet on progress on this, to give the GMK Gateway GB its own space to shine, and the fact I'd likely run this GB towards the latter half of 2021; so there's been no hurry to actively update the IC.
I'm currently focusing on my other projects KAT Great Wave (GB likely June), and KAT Space Dust (GB likely April) as a priority first.

I've in fact made a few changes to KAT Quantum such as:
- FF Din Bold for the set's typeface, the same font as the title; thanks to those who suggested this, as it does really fit well with the theme, whilst utilising the advantage of dyesub
- Colour changes. Orange and Blue have switched from GMK stock colours to a Pantone that was more reflective of the first renders where the orange and blue is a bit more 'lighter/summery', vs the intense blue/orange of V2 and N5. Some may not like it, but I believe overall it looks better and is less tiring to look at, whilst harmonising with the white a bit better.
- There's a whole list of kitting changes I've done but haven't had time to properly update the images, and outline yet (soonTM): such as a few changes to F-row pattern, and having orange accents on the arrow keys as an additional option (Whilst playing with render, I found different layouts of TKL and 65%, led to certain situations where orange or blue arrow keys would look better than the other, so will offer both), and grey Esc/Enter accents as an option.
- The novelty kit has also been slimmed a bit down, as I haven't been successful getting a reply yet from the company, so as such, I'm likely culling the gun, and the detailed deployed turret in the mean-time just to be safe. Don't worry, the cute, chibi turret will stay. I have also simplified the Robot orb novelty (for better visual consistency with other designs, and also less IP issue), and will be adding the dots and tick/cross symbols a novelties as well.
Thanks to some of the avid Portal fans who have reached out directly to provide some further input on some of these elements.

I've also added some quick renders of the new colours, with the new font as a placeholder in the mean-time. I need to find time re-render them with novelties and new angles lol.

Don't worry I haven't abandoned this IC, as I fully intend to see it to completion. But just note, I will give it some time to get to GB, because running one too quickly after the GMK set would like negatively impact chances of reaching MOQ. I also would love to get officially licensed if possible.
If you want a portal themed set sooner, the GMK route will be a lot quicker to get to production first. This set being KAT though will be ultimately cheaper, have a larger variety of colourway pattern options and kitting compatibility. But it's up to you if wish to wait that much longer.

EDIT: I'm trying another avenue of contact to Valve to get official licensing.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 February 2021, 09:49:39 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline long_qt_pie

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 22:43:11 »
I’m in, love the gel kits.  Would you consider the paired blue portal man to match the orange one?  Also would it be possible to get some of the white background novelties in colors in a gel novelty kit given keyreactives system?
Jetfire | Mech 27 v1 | Mira SE | Singa | Orion 2.5 | Eo87 | Lubrigante | MGA | IBM F XT | AEKII | Lightpad | Exent | Dolphin Rev 2 | F1-8x | Mr Suit

Offline _senya

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 00:09:28 »
Last 3 GMK sets I bought had issues, and I don't have any KAT sets, so I was really hoping to get this one.

Offline soloplayer

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 01:33:40 »
this set and your KAT Great wave are really awesome! now i'm in trouble choosing 1 of this
cant wait for the GB

Offline Finite

• peer pressured into mk hobby, pls send help
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 15:45:58 »
I'm 100% down for this no matter how long it takes (plus it'd fit the theme due to "Valve time" being something we've all encountered). I'm getting a nice E-White ergo/Alice clone just for this keycap set. Everything about it looks perfect, especially the capslock/enter stick figure novelties. I hope there doesn't need to be too many changes, and I also hope that the cable looks vibrant enough to match the keycaps. I seriously hope this set works out perfectly and you don't have to worry about any issues!

Offline L4ll1g470r

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 23:23:02 »
Definitely interested. Prefer the wob alphas and need norde if things need to be cht down.  :D

Keep up the good work.