Author Topic: How well does ADB work on Windows?  (Read 3212 times)

Offline mctrader

How well does ADB work on Windows?
« on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 12:14:04 »
Hey everyone I'm new hear and I'm really happy to have found this place. Great discussion.

I've had my eye on the old Apple and MacAlly keyboards with ALPS for a bit but I've held off because I'm unsure how well the Drakware ADB2USB works on Windows. Can anyone share their experience?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: How well does ADB work on Windows?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 12:39:30 »
I can verify that the classic Griffin iMate works well, but it is my understanding that the new one is both cheaper and better.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Riverman

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 13:40:11 »
That thing's a good deal for only $25.  Griffin iMates still sell for over $50 on eBay.  I have an old iMate that I used to use on my Windows PC at work with an Apple Extended Keyboard II.  I just wish there was a way to get the = key on the numeric keypad to work under Windows.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 15:21:17 »
That thing's a good deal for only $25.  Griffin iMates still sell for over $50 on eBay.  I have an old iMate that I used to use on my Windows PC at work with an Apple Extended Keyboard II.  I just wish there was a way to get the = key on the numeric keypad to work under Windows.

Search for Drakware ADB2USB on ebay. I bought one and it works great and you can easily reprogram every key. Its 24 + Shipping
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline iri

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 15:46:40 »
I use Tinkerboy's converter and it works fine.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 16:31:34 »
I have used the Drakware adapter to test a NeXT keyboard. That's a pretty limited use case, but it worked fine for my purposes.

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 17:10:47 »
QMK has ADB to USB support as well,making an adapter from a Pro Micro is really easy.

Offline mctrader

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 02:25:36 »
Thank you all for the info! Just picked myself up a MK96 and Drakware converter.

Offline mctrader

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 23 July 2021, 15:03:15 »
Sorry to bump an old post, but I'm just updating for anyone who comes across this from Google or whatever that is interested in a MK96. It works great on Windows, zero problems at all. It's the best keyboard that I've personally used! I've only had a Model M, FK2001, AT101w, and this takes the cake by a good margin, at least for my likings. Because there's so little info online, keep in mind that the big drawback with this board is that the little nubs on the F and J keys are instead on the D and K keys board this board. I'm a noob with keyboards so I don't know if you can replace the keycaps to get around this, something to keep in mind regardless.

If anyone has questions about the board, I'll do my best to answer.

Also, if anyone has experience with MK96s and can tell me if I can swap out keycaps on it, I'd appreciate some info!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 23 July 2021, 16:44:18 »
Also, if anyone has experience with MK96s and can tell me if I can swap out keycaps on it, I'd appreciate some info!
It's more about the switches than the keyboard and MK96 is not great to search - pop off a keycap (carefully - a credit card down each side and push both at the same time is probably safest in the absence of a proper tool) and post a pic and someone will be able to help (though will they open this thread?  Probably not...)  Either it's MX-like cross or Alps-like rectangle with a hole in the middle or you're out of luck, and Alps aren't anywhere near as common as MX.  If it has strange sized keys that's not helpful either.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod