Author Topic: [IC] Vega Wrist Rest  (Read 11730 times)

Offline r00dy

• like it, buy it. don't like it, don't buy it
[IC] Vega Wrist Rest
« on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 11:26:43 »
Vega Wrist Rest Prototype

Prototypes 3

Black Anodized Aluminum

275944-0

275946-1

275948-2

275872-3

Copper

275870-4

Ewhite Aluminum

275874-5

Prototype 2

273072-6

273078-7

Prototype 1

270257-8

270259-9

Introduction
We thought it would be cool to design a wrist rest that matched the profile of a board. There are a lot of Vegas out there. We thought some people might be interested.

IC Form:IC Form
Join our Discord: here

Specifications
Material: Aluminum, remainder TBD
Colors: E-White and Black are currently leading
Angle: 6.5 degrees
Depth: 80 mm
Feet: 4 adhesive rubber feet (Note: the height matches with the rubber feet on)
Price: $100+ (for aluminum), possibly lower with higher interest

Changes Between Prototypes
The first prototype was too short for our entire hands to sit comfortably so we've extended the depth for the second prototype (to 80 mm). We also adjusted some edges to better match the Vega's aesthetic. The third prototype features the same dimensions with a few adjustments to the curves and chamfers.

Current IC Results

What materials would you be interested in for the wrist rest?

270263-10

What colors are you interested in?

270265-11

FAQ

Why Aluminum
Aesthetics and feel. The finish matches the board more than polycarbonate, resin, or wood. It's also cool to the touch which we found refreshing over the past few weeks of use.

Other materials?
Unless there is a large interest in copper or stainless steel, we will most likely stick to an aluminum variant. Polycarbonate has been reasonably popular and we will consider it if we feel that there is adequate interest.

What about color matching?
The navy prototype didn't match the Vega navy either but we thought it paired nicely regardless of the minor color variation. Here are some pictures of the black prototype next to a black vega:

273511-12

273513-13

Acknowledgment
We'd like to thank ai03 for making a phenomenal board and for providing feedback on this project.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 September 2021, 11:23:04 by r00dy »

Offline r00dy

Re: [IC] Vega Wrist Rest
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 11:27:55 »
Reserved

Offline leexy

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 12:08:37 »
first second

Offline phoenixrage

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 12:42:21 »
hope there's enough interest for the grey so I can have it match my vega order.

Offline c0d3r

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 12:52:07 »
I prefer a copper one

Offline adi

• adi.kbds; Consider ePBT Fruit Chew
    • Adi Nikumbh
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 13:57:25 »
reserved, cant wait to get my proto for colormatching

Offline Vaiur

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 14:34:39 »
hope there's enough interest for the grey so I can have it match my vega order.

Hope there's a grey for my vega too, but outlook seems grim.
Either way, cool idea.

gl w ic
CB87:Sakabato Black/Red/Brass | Think6.5v2 Deep Ocean 1u | Alpine65 eWhite | Vega Grey | RAMA u80a SEQ2 Sage | Iron165 r2 Graphite | Mode80 Lotus | Geon Frog F12 Black | Keycult 2/65 Purple Unfinish | Geon F2-84 Black | JJW Cloudline Navy/Silver | Iron165 r2 PC Atomic Purple

Offline Tree_

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 18:02:09 »
Glwic.

Rose Gold isn't even in the running so it's a no for me.

Offline JoltFX

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 01:17:04 »
Glwic.

I do believe that’s the issue here, this shouldn’t really be labeled Vega Wrist Rest when it only matches 2-3 color profiles. Might as well just say wrist rest compatible with Vega. Idk I may be wrong

Offline Diggidy

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 05:37:59 »
Smoked polycarb would be so lit.

Offline r00dy

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 10:23:05 »
Glwic.

I do believe that’s the issue here, this shouldn’t really be labeled Vega Wrist Rest when it only matches 2-3 color profiles. Might as well just say wrist rest compatible with Vega. Idk I may be wrong

It matches the height, length, and angle of the Vega (not any other board in particular) and we are attempting to match the most popular color profiles. This alone, in my opinion justifies, the title Vega Wrist Rest. It was designed to work specifically with the Vega and even trying to match 2-3 of the colors alone is quite a challenge.

Each prototype is expensive and there is no guarantee that we can match the E-White or Black given the variability in anodization and e-coating (e.g. batch variance). Some factories won't color match for a low MOQ so unless there's a massive spike in interest for other colors, it's hard for us to justify the costs. We also have to find a person with each particular Vega color to match the wrist rest since we only own the navy variant (so far we've only found someone for black).

Polycarbonate or copper are more viable options in my opinion for people who have Vega's in colors that aren't Black and E-White.

Offline JoltFX

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 10:26:54 »
I appreciate this response and this makes more sense now thanks. Hence why I said I may be wrong just my initial take :). GL

Offline Liub

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 10:36:56 »
Submitted IC form, would love a clear/smoked PC option.

Offline r00dy

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 26 July 2021, 23:38:07 »
I appreciate this response and this makes more sense now thanks. Hence why I said I may be wrong just my initial take :). GL

Thanks

Submitted IC form, would love a clear/smoked PC option.

PC seems to be reasonably requested so we'll definitely take it into consideration. We've received the second prototype and I've updated the post with pictures of the black prototype. We will have some color matching pictures soon. The main changes are some slight adjustments to the edges and the depth of the wrist rest which we've extended out for comfort.

Offline r00dy

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 04 August 2021, 15:24:13 »
After comparing the black wrist rest, the colors seem to align well for the groupbuy. We're making a few slight adjustments for our next round of prototyping in ewhite and copper. I've updated the main post with pictures of the prototype but here is another pic of the black vega with the matching wrist rest.

273515-0

Offline Tree_

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 04 August 2021, 17:51:25 »
Glwic.

It matches the height, length, and angle of the Vega (not any other board in particular) and we are attempting to match the most popular color profiles. This alone, in my opinion justifies, the title Vega Wrist Rest. It was designed to work specifically with the Vega and even trying to match 2-3 of the colors alone is quite a challenge.

Each prototype is expensive and there is no guarantee that we can match the E-White or Black given the variability in anodization and e-coating (e.g. batch variance). Some factories won't color match for a low MOQ so unless there's a massive spike in interest for other colors, it's hard for us to justify the costs. We also have to find a person with each particular Vega color to match the wrist rest since we only own the navy variant (so far we've only found someone for black).

Polycarbonate or copper are more viable options in my opinion for people who have Vega's in colors that aren't Black and E-White.

That's all fair, and I totally understood that you need to work within MOQ's to get colours made and that Rose Gold probably won't be the most popular.

Looking forward to possibly being able to pickup a PC wrist rest.  :)

Offline adi

• adi.kbds; Consider ePBT Fruit Chew
    • Adi Nikumbh
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 18 August 2021, 23:47:01 »
After comparing the black wrist rest, the colors seem to align well for the groupbuy. We're making a few slight adjustments for our next round of prototyping in ewhite and copper. I've updated the main post with pictures of the prototype but here is another pic of the black vega with the matching wrist rest.

(Attachment Link)

Damn whoever took this picture was a hella good photographer

Offline le-crapaud

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 11:19:38 »
Rose gold would be ideal for me too but a black wrist rest could look great too. I'm very interested in this!

Offline r00dy

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 09:14:16 »

(Attachment Link)

Damn whoever took this picture was a hella good photographer

The self praise is something to behold.

Rose gold would be ideal for me too but a black wrist rest could look great too. I'm very interested in this!

Thanks, unfortunately, there simply wasn't enough interest in rose gold and we didn't have a rose gold vega to color match with. We've settled on the vendor along with the final skus and pricing. Hopefully we can get the gb going in the next few weeks. Here's a picture of the copper wrist rest patina'd by kneedeep.

276632-0

Offline c0d3r

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 11 October 2021, 19:13:54 »
Shipping kills it, the GB is only good for the ppl in the state, not for the ones outside of US.

Offline MagicElyas

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 17 October 2021, 19:30:34 »
From my point of view, the aesthetics look sick and ir has to be very nice in summer to keep your wrists cool given the thermal capacity and thermal conductivity of alu and copper. However, during the winter has to be frightening to land your wrists in a piece of metal that is cold.

Offline r00dy

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 19 October 2021, 18:58:52 »
Shipping kills it, the GB is only good for the ppl in the state, not for the ones outside of US.

It's a US vendor and shipping a heavy wrist rest isn't super cheap unfortunately.

From my point of view, the aesthetics look sick and ir has to be very nice in summer to keep your wrists cool given the thermal capacity and thermal conductivity of alu and copper. However, during the winter has to be frightening to land your wrists in a piece of metal that is cold.

Thanks, I personally find that the wrist rest doesn't stay cold for a long time. It usually becomes pleasantly cool and stays that way after some use.

Offline DeMechanica

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 20 October 2021, 01:38:42 »
I would kill for a grey one!

Offline r00dy

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 21 October 2021, 20:36:41 »
Unfortunately there wasn't enough interest for grey and we didn't have a grey vega for color matching.