Author Topic: Love MX Browns? Post here. (Hate them? Go away.)  (Read 48765 times)

Offline Volny

Re: Love MX Browns? Post here. (Hate them? Go away.)
« Reply #150 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 10:14:34 »
This thread has been enlightening for me. I inherited the prevailing prejudice against browns, tried a couple, found them weak (ie. not enough spine-cracking fireworks during the press) , and wrote off browns for good. But then I read this thread and it made sense to me that I should be looking for gentle signalling of actuation rather than spectatular finger thrills.

As it happens, a macropad arrived today with some gateron browns on it. They would have gone straight in a drawer were it not for this thread. I included a few in some blind tests I've been doing to decide which combination of switches to put in my boards, and they did very well. They've become a front runner for some of my lighter keys.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #151 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 10:54:01 »
Medium tactiles that are smooth [like Durock] can also fulfill the role of Browns, while giving a little more tactile feedback.

Offline blur410

• Memewhile in World of Tanks...
« Reply #152 on: Fri, 07 May 2021, 04:01:02 »
Personally Topre has me covered in the medium-light tactility department simply because of the force curve and noise level, it requires almost no effort to hold down compared to any cherry switch and since alps are rare/difficult to obtain it will have to suffice. And not making any sound in voice chat is a bonus. This makes them prime for gaming in particular. But I do have some Kailh Polias incoming so my opinion on brown type switches could change, one thing I do like about browns is that the tactility doesn't get in the way of keyspamming while also being present enough to tell you have depressed the key. If I played more RTS like I used to back in the mid-2000's, I would absolutely worship browns for that use case and is a problem for any non-linear switch aside from browns.

Unfortunately I have been unable to play RTS games properly because I previously learned how to play them on a trackball before moving to a surface mouse. When I got rid of my trackball and upgraded to a deathadder, I simply never looked back and went on to playing FPS/TPS games where keyboards seemed to mean a lot less and mice/computer specs/monitor mattered far more. I have since gone full circle and found out that a lot of the old games I used to play on my first Dell have been since ported to steam or I have reacquired the discs to play them, and correspondingly acquired a bunch of both old and new trackballs for use in these games. Classically I have been a thumb baller but I have since switched to finger balls. Hopefully my muscle memory won't need too much tuning. And hopefully I can learn how to use the hotkeys in newer RTS games and take advantage of the sweet spammability of mx tactiles that made them so popular originally.
Keyboard Ownership History: Dynex(Rubber dome chicklet keys)-EXTINCT, Macbook Air 2016(Scissor switch)-ACTIVE, Razer Ornata(Mecha-membrane)-EXTINCT, Corsair K68 RGB(Cherry MX Reds)-RETIRED, Razer Tartarus Pro(Razer optical analog)-RETIRED, Idobao ID-75(NK Creams)-SHELF, HHKB Pro 3 Classic(Topre BKE MX Mount)-ACTIVE, New Model F62(Capacitive buckling springs)-ACTIVE, Realforce 23UB(Topre)-ACTIVE, BM60-RGBEC w/KBDFANS 5 Degree Case(NK BOX Pinks)-SHELF, Focus 2001 (Alps White)-SHELF, Unidentified Vintage MX Black Board-SHELF

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #153 on: Fri, 07 May 2021, 09:45:14 »
Personally Topre has me covered in the medium-light tactility department simply because of the force curve and noise level, it requires almost no effort to hold down compared to any cherry switch and since alps are rare/difficult to obtain it will have to suffice. And not making any sound in voice chat is a bonus. This makes them prime for gaming in particular. But I do have some Kailh Polias incoming so my opinion on brown type switches could change

Which Topre keyboard are you using? I don't mind light and silent Topre, especially the latter part.

And let us know what you think of the Polias. I tried Halo True in the past, but the spring was too heavy, smothering the tactility. Maybe the Polias can do better. If not, just put the stems in Boba housings and you have Holy Bobas.

Offline blur410

• Memewhile in World of Tanks...
« Reply #154 on: Sat, 08 May 2021, 09:47:04 »
Did just get in my poliahs, gotta wait on my stabilizers from drop tho, could take anywhere from 5 days to a month, bless drop's heart when you pay for premium shipping from a US based warehouse that is somehow slower than KBDfans, based in China.

I have my HHKB Pro 3 setting on the shelf right now, mainly because moving my model f is pretty hard and finding a place to store it is difficult because I typically have normally sized 60% boards while the kishsaver takes up the space of a big TKL. Luckily I am not streaming at the moment and the one friend I play with regularly is in to keyboards anyways so he doesn't mind the ping noises.
Keyboard Ownership History: Dynex(Rubber dome chicklet keys)-EXTINCT, Macbook Air 2016(Scissor switch)-ACTIVE, Razer Ornata(Mecha-membrane)-EXTINCT, Corsair K68 RGB(Cherry MX Reds)-RETIRED, Razer Tartarus Pro(Razer optical analog)-RETIRED, Idobao ID-75(NK Creams)-SHELF, HHKB Pro 3 Classic(Topre BKE MX Mount)-ACTIVE, New Model F62(Capacitive buckling springs)-ACTIVE, Realforce 23UB(Topre)-ACTIVE, BM60-RGBEC w/KBDFANS 5 Degree Case(NK BOX Pinks)-SHELF, Focus 2001 (Alps White)-SHELF, Unidentified Vintage MX Black Board-SHELF

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #155 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 11:07:22 »
I'll go so far as to say that my switch preference has moved away from linears and towards light tactiles.

Offline arock0627

« Reply #156 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 11:40:13 »
I just slapped together an NK65 with Gateron Browns and it's pretty close to my dream board.  I think the installation of a dampener and some work on the spacebar stabs will do the trick.

I spent a few years thinking I liked the tactile bump in a brown but what I actually like is how light it is, because I actually prefer the actuation of linears (i.e. I'm a caveman who bottoms out) but don't like how there's no actuation force.  I tested all of the best tactile switches and none of them felt particularly good, even though I was assured by the online masses that browns were ****.  Then as I was typing on my GMMK at work (also with Gateron Browns) I finally realized it wasn't the bump I liked.

I enjoy the bottoming out, and resting my fingers on the keys when not typing.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 07:45:22 »
Interesting you should mention that. I just received Gateron Orange samples today.

As far as I can tell, it's a factory-lubed Gateron Brown. Not necessarily a good idea.

The tactility of the Gateron Brown is already negligible. Lubing it runs the risk of turning it into a linear, which is what this feels like. They should have at least accentuated the tactile bump in order to justify and compensate for the lubing.

Offline chat and team

« Reply #158 on: Sun, 15 August 2021, 15:02:26 »
https://paramountkeeb.com/collections/switches
These guys have sp star meteor oranges in stock right now.
geekhack mods constantly break tos and refuse to read
Chinese overlords won

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #159 on: Sun, 15 August 2021, 20:52:12 »
Well, of course they do. Just after I received mine that were ordered in June.

SP Star Meteor Orange is an interesting and relevant tactile for those looking at Browns. To me, they are like an MX Brown without the 'noise' associated with Cherry [scratch/sand/gritty, sawtooth molds].

It's a clean, sharp, short bump. Actuation around 2mm, like Gateron Brown, but doesn't feel 'late.' A little lighter than MX Brown at 57 G, but the bump is more distinct.

Problem with the switch is that it is LOUD. Not sure if this is from the spring, housing, stem, leaf, or some combination thereof. So I'm looking at various solutions.

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #160 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 17:09:59 »

To test out a new keyboard I put some "glorious pandas" I had sitting around in to give it a workout.  Damn, those lumpy things make my fingers tired!  Brown is fine, thanks.  ;)

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #161 on: Fri, 24 September 2021, 08:17:12 »
I recently built a 60% with some "old" MX Browns (around 2008 or so). They're really nice.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline Volny

« Reply #162 on: Sat, 25 September 2021, 03:38:56 »

To test out a new keyboard I put some "glorious pandas" I had sitting around in to give it a workout.  Damn, those lumpy things make my fingers tired!  Brown is fine, thanks.  ;)
I've never cared about ergonomics of keyboards because in over 30 years of heavy computing I've not once had any kind of rsi or strain or hand fatigue. Until this year when I put glorious pandas into my keyboard. After a few months I realised my knuckles were starting to hurt from the rock hard bottoming out. I honestly feel like those switches might have given me arthritis eventually. I've since replaced them with 'silenced' switches, but am currently looking at browns and Brown-likes as well.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #163 on: Sat, 25 September 2021, 19:49:52 »
You're not alone in your thinking.

When I type on very-tactile switches like Zealio V2 or Holy Pandas, I feel them exercising muscles in my hands that aren't ordinarily used by light tactiles.

So, for some people, the heavy bump and slam of currently-fashionable tactiles could create additional tension or wear on muscles or joints.

MX Brown was specifically designed to be ergonomic and low-impact, to be used on the ergonomic Kinesis Advantage keyboard.

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #164 on: Sat, 25 September 2021, 21:13:53 »

I've kinda got thin "girl fingers", so I have a very light touch on the keys.  ;D  The switch needs to fit the way your fingers naturally work. 

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #165 on: Sat, 09 October 2021, 18:46:22 »
I just purchased a Leopold FC210TP, and besides the stupid thing not working for some games and programs, the Browns used were VERY inconsistent.  Varying levels of tactility and resistance.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #166 on: Sat, 09 October 2021, 20:51:49 »
My Leopold's Browns were nothing to write home about, either.

I only hear good things about Ducky One Two and Shine 7 with the early Hyperglide Browns, these days. Sometimes you get a good Varmilo.

Really, if you want a good light tactile keyboard, get a custom kit or retrofit a prebuilt with:

-Gateron CAP Brown
-Durock Light Tactile / Pewter
-Durock Medium Tactile (RARA)
-SP Star Meteor Orange

-Some people even like TTC Gold Brown V3, AKKO CS Ocean Blue

Or build light Ergo Clears. Mine are barely heavier than Browns, and at least they are consistent. You might go as low as 63.5 G Progressive for that MX Brown weight. Just lube carefully. Also, Zealio V1 is back!

Offline arhue

« Reply #167 on: Mon, 11 October 2021, 00:11:05 »

Using my MX Brown KBC Poker II for 5-6 years now. I really love the happy middle ground that they provide. I haven't used any other switch keyboards extensively, other than trying out my friend's linear switch keyboard, which I didn't really like. Blues are too noisy and can quickly annoy people around you.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #168 on: Fri, 22 October 2021, 21:59:07 »
I used to be a huge fan of MX Brown when I first started in this.  As I was introduced to newer switches the Browns fell out of favor with me.  There were many better clones that hit the scene.  The board with the Browns went into the closet for a while.  A year or two later I took it out and decided to lube it. I did go a little heavy and I also lubed the legs, but it was an entirely different switch.  The lube dulled the tactile bump, but as the lube wore away it did come back.  The switch now has a little more resistance and it sounds and feels totally different.  The only negative to lubing it is that it is not as responsive.  MX do very well with lubrication.  My favorite switches are Kailh Box, but there is so little of the switch that comes into contact with the housing that there is no benefit gained from lubing.

Anyways I'm using my old Poker 3 with lubed Browns in a Tex case and I'm loving it.  It really is a pleasure to use.  I'm also finding that my typing is more accurate. I'm not sure why, but maybe because of the longer switch action?  4mm vs 2.8 or 3, whatever the Kailh Box and Speed Switches are.  I'll post an image.  It's a sharp looking board. I never upgraded the caps because I really like the Pok3r caps. 
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #169 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 07:40:55 »
Anyways I'm using my old Poker 3 with lubed Browns in a Tex case and I'm loving it.  It really is a pleasure to use.  I'm also finding that my typing is more accurate. I'm not sure why, but maybe because of the longer switch action?  4mm vs 2.8 or 3, whatever the Kailh Box and Speed Switches are.  I'll post an image.  It's a sharp looking board. I never upgraded the caps because I really like the Pok3r caps.

I've yet to hear from anyone who doesn't type faster, more accurately, or both with browns after giving them a fair shot.

Testing hyperglide browns side by side with hyperglide blacks, both with the same internal tuning(55g tx short spring, thick lube, deskkeys films), it's like night and day for me.

The tactility is pronounced enough when side by side to linears that I can appreciate the balance cherry nailed with the bump. Had I not had a linear board right beside this one I wouldn't even really notice the tactility when typing longer blocks of stuff. I've found that the tactility is just present enough that I know it's there, but it isn't in the way, if that makes sense.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #170 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 12:01:30 »
There are people out there who unironically think MX Browns are a linear, as are all switches in that range [e.g. Everglide Jade Green].

But if you test them side-by-side with actual linears, the difference is apparent.

There is a definite slowdown and short bump with Brown-like switches. It's not a clean, empty linear press. Now, if that tactile event is not enough for you, there are other switches.

But they're not linears, and they're ergonomic as they ease bottom-out at low linear weights.

The more you use Browns, the more you understand Cherry's reasoning behind them, and the testing that may have gone into the process. The one thing that's lacking today is Browns produced with modern equipment and techniques using fresh molds, so that you can experience what Cherry intended.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #171 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 14:42:50 »
The one thing that's lacking today is Browns produced with modern equipment and techniques using fresh molds, so that you can experience what Cherry intended.

These are Hyperglide Browns, my man  :cool:
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #172 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 15:17:02 »

I like Hyperglide Browns. At least the fresh ones.

They have a good typing feel. There still is that Cherry scratchiness, and they sound atrocious. There are also said to be housing issues that deviate from classic Cherry, causing interference with GMK keycaps.

So I wouldn't say that they are manufactured 100% perfectly, but they are nice Browns to type on.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #173 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 17:03:52 »

They have a good typing feel. There still is that Cherry scratchiness, and they sound atrocious. There are also said to be housing issues that deviate from classic Cherry, causing interference with GMK keycaps.

So I wouldn't say that they are manufactured 100% perfectly, but they are nice Browns to type on.

If you land on a good batch I can %100 vouch for them. Have some 55g tx spring swapped ones in a matrix 2.0 (non add) and it's honestly just as good as my vint browns with kbdmod 55g springs, if not a slight bit better?

The kind of cherry picking and lottery rolling you have to do with them isnt worth it imo, when vints are a bit more consistent overall, but they're damn good if you get the right ones.

Also protip, 2.0 pre ADD matrix is a browns board, and nobody can convince me otherwise.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #174 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 17:59:32 »
Also protip, 2.0 pre ADD matrix is a browns board, and nobody can convince me otherwise.

Every board is a browns board, CMV.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #175 on: Mon, 25 October 2021, 19:16:07 »

Every board is a browns board, CMV.

Facts

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #176 on: Tue, 26 October 2021, 23:05:51 »
I used to be a huge fan of MX Brown when I first started in this.  As I was introduced to newer switches the Browns fell out of favor with me.  There were many better clones that hit the scene.  The board with the Browns went into the closet for a while.  A year or two later I took it out and decided to lube it. I did go a little heavy and I also lubed the legs, but it was an entirely different switch.  The lube dulled the tactile bump, but as the lube wore away it did come back.  The switch now has a little more resistance and it sounds and feels totally different.  The only negative to lubing it is that it is not as responsive.  MX do very well with lubrication.  My favorite switches are Kailh Box, but there is so little of the switch that comes into contact with the housing that there is no benefit gained from lubing.

I just purchased a Leopold FC210TP, and besides the stupid thing not working for some games and programs, the Browns used were VERY inconsistent.  Varying levels of tactility and resistance.

Here is the board with a Tex case.  I can't believe how much I am likeling these switches, and I'm making virtually NO MISTAKES.  I have to iterate that I don't really care for MX Browns much not lubed, but this is like a different switch. 

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #177 on: Wed, 27 October 2021, 09:58:43 »

I've yet to hear from anyone who doesn't type faster, more accurately, or both with browns after giving them a fair shot.

Testing hyperglide browns side by side with hyperglide blacks, both with the same internal tuning(55g tx short spring, thick lube, deskkeys films), it's like night and day for me.

The tactility is pronounced enough when side by side to linears that I can appreciate the balance cherry nailed with the bump. Had I not had a linear board right beside this one I wouldn't even really notice the tactility when typing longer blocks of stuff. I've found that the tactility is just present enough that I know it's there, but it isn't in the way, if that makes sense.

It turns out that MX blacks are still too stiff for me to type with comfortably, even though box navies are fine. I used them for more than a week straight to give them a fair shot. I previously did the same with membrane buckling spring before that (also too stiff). Since I'm on a kick of extended use of switches I have always disliked (for a more expansive field of experience), MX brown is up next. I finally replaced the stabilizer inserts I stole from my only MX brown board (one of those old Rosewill 9000 series things), and I'll try to use it exclusively at work for at least the next week or more.

In your estimation, how long must the switch be used in order to give it a fair shot? I find it a little hard to believe that any one switch is a universal improvement in speed and accuracy for every typist, especially one that's so light. Do you imply that the modifications you've made to improve the specifications (since I think 45g is too light in general) must be applied in order to reach keyboard nirvana?

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #178 on: Wed, 27 October 2021, 14:55:55 »

If you land on a good batch I can %100 vouch for them. Have some 55g tx spring swapped ones in a matrix 2.0 (non add) and it's honestly just as good as my vint browns with kbdmod 55g springs, if not a slight bit better?

The kind of cherry picking and lottery rolling you have to do with them isnt worth it imo, when vints are a bit more consistent overall, but they're damn good if you get the right ones.

This guy put 72 G Progressive Vint Browns in a JER J80S:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/qh3qu3/handarbeit_just_makes_everything_look_even_better/

Does it get any better than this [aside from Handarbeit keycaps]?

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #179 on: Sat, 30 October 2021, 22:05:11 »

This guy put 72 G Progressive Vint Browns in a JER J80S:

Show Image

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/qh3qu3/handarbeit_just_makes_everything_look_even_better/

Does it get any better than this [aside from Handarbeit keycaps]?

It gets better with a lighter spring weight  :cool:

I think browns really excel with a light spring (below 62g bottom-out) and a light typist. If you're heavy-handed or like heavy springs, I imagine the tactility would barely register.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #180 on: Sun, 31 October 2021, 14:47:19 »

It gets better with a lighter spring weight  :cool:

I think browns really excel with a light spring (below 62g bottom-out) and a light typist. If you're heavy-handed or like heavy springs, I imagine the tactility would barely register.

I personally would not have used 72 G springs as this person did, even though they are Progressive springs. The top press might end up feeling like a stock Durock Light Tactile, which uses 67 G springs, probably too heavy for a light Brown.

But I see why he did it, and respect it. 72 G Progressive offers more of a 'curved' progressive trajectory than the lighter Progressive springs, so it will still be relatively light at the top and only concentrate force at the bottom.

68 G Progressive is fine for Ergo Clears, tends to operate well-enough and not much beyond Brown-weight. I am in the process of maybe preparing 63.5 G Progressive Ergo Clears for a plateless build. Those should be some light-typing Ergo Clears.

I agree with the low spring weight for Browns. I like Durock Light Tactile / Pewter at about ~57 G 15mm. Even 60 G 14mm is heavier than I would like those. For Everglide Jades, stock 58.5 G is a great weight for the alphas, although maybe too light for heavier keys. I've been experimenting with Ergo Browns [MX Brown in OUTEMU linear housings] at about 55 G, and they can be great.

Surprisingly, I haven't tried 63.5 Progressive in Browns themselves, although I did in TTC Watermelon Milkshake [heavy Browns]. It almost worked, but I think those TTC switches need about 65 G Progressive, which I don't have access to.

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #181 on: Thu, 02 March 2023, 22:33:33 »
So.. I'm sorry for reviving this thread but I'm pretty interested in trying MX Browns, I've seen force graphs and comments here that say the Hyperglides are a bit heavier, I'm used to 55g bottom out linears.

I wonder what would people recommend in 2023? should I get the Hyperglides or should I get the "regular" retooled Browns? they're in similar prices.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #182 on: Fri, 03 March 2023, 04:27:19 »
Hunger Mechanic will probably know. He tries all of that stuff. PM him if he doesn't see this.

I did actually finally try some retooled browns and I can actually feel tactility when typing at a normal pace on them instead of them just feeling gritty like in my old Rosewill board. I can see why somebody might like the retooled ones. Haven't tried hyperglides.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #183 on: Fri, 03 March 2023, 10:05:27 »
I'd like to help, but I have only limited experience with these variants.

I tested about 10 Hyperglides when they came out. Feel-wise, they are okay, and go well with GMK keycaps.

However, they sounded very gritty. Also, there have been sporadic reports that Hyperglide housings are kinda messed-up, dimensionally-speaking. They may have interference with Cherry-profile, specifically GMK. However, anytime anyone sits down to investigate this, they can't find the problem. So it may not exist.

The original retooled Browns, when they came out circa 2017, received rave reviews. They were less-scratchy than the older 2012-2016 era pre-tooled Browns. And the tactile bump seemed more well-defined. I personally think that good retooled Browns may be the best modern Browns. I don't have experience with any switches specifically labelled as such, but a relative has a Varmilo custom store TKL from 2018 that has relatively good Browns in it. They feel 'clean' and 'clear,' and the tactile bump is thin but fairly-defined.

In terms of availability and convenience, I would be tempted to get so-called "Butter Browns." They are usually Hyperglides given a half-million or so actuations. Sure, they cost more. But are you likely to find something as good or better in a reasonable amount of time? You can even get a lubed and filmed variant from Loobed Switches, although that is expensive.

Some of the early Hyperglides were good, and came in Ducky One 2 keyboards, if memory serves.

I guess one would have to buy a small bag of Hyperglides or retooled from AliExpress or something, and if they are good, buy more and continue with the work on them.

Personally, I would consider alternatives to Browns.

SP Star Meteor Orange are like some of the better Browns, as they are less scratchy than average, and have an 'icepick' like small but defined bump. They really improve with films and careful 3204. You can even use Cherry top-housings for a more Cherry-like nylon sound. I have a board like this, very good.

KTT Mallo are modeled after MX Brown. But they are KTT manufactured, so almost no scratch. The problem is, an MX Brown bump made from smooth moulds is almost linear. It is very soft. Like a marshmallow. You can get them with stock 55 G springs, which are fine. You have to lube at least the springs and leaf-area to remove extraneous noise. The factory-lube is very good for function, but not sound.

AKKO POM Brown are relatively new, and less is known about them. Some think that they are a little more tactile than MX Brown. I don't like the stock sound, the switches need lubing. They are obviously smoother than MX Browns.

So those are some things to consider. I would get into a position to 'try before you buy' with some samples, and find Browns that suit you. Replacing the Cherry springs with 55 G is a step in the right direction. If you want really poppy MX Browns, you can use 55 G 18mm mStone springs from AliExpress. They really powered the new Ergo Clears when I tried it. They're almost like those 63.5 G ThiccThocc DL springs.

You might want to check around this timestamp in the following thread for discussion of mounting styles:

https://www.keebtalk.com/t/light-tactile-switch-comparision/14773/66?u=hungermechanic

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #184 on: Fri, 03 March 2023, 19:20:25 »
More
I'd like to help, but I have only limited experience with these variants.

I tested about 10 Hyperglides when they came out. Feel-wise, they are okay, and go well with GMK keycaps.

However, they sounded very gritty. Also, there have been sporadic reports that Hyperglide housings are kinda messed-up, dimensionally-speaking. They may have interference with Cherry-profile, specifically GMK. However, anytime anyone sits down to investigate this, they can't find the problem. So it may not exist.

The original retooled Browns, when they came out circa 2017, received rave reviews. They were less-scratchy than the older 2012-2016 era pre-tooled Browns. And the tactile bump seemed more well-defined. I personally think that good retooled Browns may be the best modern Browns. I don't have experience with any switches specifically labelled as such, but a relative has a Varmilo custom store TKL from 2018 that has relatively good Browns in it. They feel 'clean' and 'clear,' and the tactile bump is thin but fairly-defined.

In terms of availability and convenience, I would be tempted to get so-called "Butter Browns." They are usually Hyperglides given a half-million or so actuations. Sure, they cost more. But are you likely to find something as good or better in a reasonable amount of time? You can even get a lubed and filmed variant from Loobed Switches, although that is expensive.

Some of the early Hyperglides were good, and came in Ducky One 2 keyboards, if memory serves.

I guess one would have to buy a small bag of Hyperglides or retooled from AliExpress or something, and if they are good, buy more and continue with the work on them.

Personally, I would consider alternatives to Browns.

SP Star Meteor Orange are like some of the better Browns, as they are less scratchy than average, and have an 'icepick' like small but defined bump. They really improve with films and careful 3204. You can even use Cherry top-housings for a more Cherry-like nylon sound. I have a board like this, very good.

KTT Mallo are modeled after MX Brown. But they are KTT manufactured, so almost no scratch. The problem is, an MX Brown bump made from smooth moulds is almost linear. It is very soft. Like a marshmallow. You can get them with stock 55 G springs, which are fine. You have to lube at least the springs and leaf-area to remove extraneous noise. The factory-lube is very good for function, but not sound.

AKKO POM Brown are relatively new, and less is known about them. Some think that they are a little more tactile than MX Brown. I don't like the stock sound, the switches need lubing. They are obviously smoother than MX Browns.

So those are some things to consider. I would get into a position to 'try before you buy' with some samples, and find Browns that suit you. Replacing the Cherry springs with 55 G is a step in the right direction. If you want really poppy MX Browns, you can use 55 G 18mm mStone springs from AliExpress. They really powered the new Ergo Clears when I tried it. They're almost like those 63.5 G ThiccThocc DL springs.

You might want to check around this timestamp in the following thread for discussion of mounting styles:

https://www.keebtalk.com/t/light-tactile-switch-comparision/14773/66?u=hungermechanic

I once had a sample of SP Star Meteor Orange, didn't like it too much, though I'm pretty locked on Cherry MX to try the Cherry "experience".

The MX Brown sample I have (which I assume it the "regular" retooled) its pretty nice, compared to the Cherry MX Black and Red samples I have, a bit smoother than them, even when the Brown switch is stock and the linear ones are lubed with 3204.

Getting samples would cost me as much as a pack so I guess I'll try the Hyperglides.

I've read one of your comments mentioning the Hyperglides being heavier, is that significant or is it still light?

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #185 on: Fri, 03 March 2023, 21:45:41 »
I'm not sure what I said about Hyperglides being heavier. I was not involved with the force graphs.

Maybe the ones I tested were a little heavier than other Browns that I have.

Cherry springs are so inconsistent that batch-variance is a factor here. I swear, a '60 G' Cherry spring is like 53 G, 63 G, maybe a little less variance but I've read of 55 and 63 G measurements in their 60 g springs, and probably worse.

[And they are noisy too. I would consider something like 57 - 58.5 G 15mm aftermarket springs for a natural and consistent MX Brown weight.]

The one thing that bugged me about the Hyperglides was the scratch, so the "butter Browns" with 620,000 actuations appeal to me.

You will get an authentic Cherry experience with Hyperglides. Hopefully they are perfectly compatible with GMK.

Kinda wish I had secured some of those early retooled Browns. Some batches were really nice, by all accounts. Would have needed to mount them in a fairly expensive [i.e. top-mount] keyboard to get the full-effect, though.

We'd all be very interested to know your impressions of the Hyperglides when they arrive. My only MX Brown keyboard right now is a stock MJ2.

Offline OliverG7

• CasinoLandia
« Reply #186 on: Thu, 13 July 2023, 10:10:04 »
If your SteelSeries 6gv2 MX Brown keyboard's "Control" key is double-clicking after four months of use, try cleaning the switch, updating the firmware, or replacing the keycap. If the issue persists, contact SteelSeries support or utilize the warranty.

Offline StefanVoda

« Reply #187 on: Mon, 24 July 2023, 01:50:36 »
MX Brown with TX 65g M (standard height) springs. Lubed only the springs with TX oil.

Trying to get them a bit broken in before I lube them. I think the 65g springs are a bit too heavy for the switch, but it doesn't steal any of it's characteristics. If they'll bother me in any way after a few months I might consider a 62g swap. Will see.
ai03xkevinplus POLARIS | WG Vint MX Black/Gateron Yellow KS-3X47

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #188 on: Mon, 24 July 2023, 17:36:32 »
MX Brown with TX 65g M (standard height) springs. Lubed only the springs with TX oil.

Trying to get them a bit broken in before I lube them. I think the 65g springs are a bit too heavy for the switch, but it doesn't steal any of it's characteristics. If they'll bother me in any way after a few months I might consider a 62g swap. Will see.

65 G 15mm is indeed a bit high for Browns.

65 G 14mm is, in fact, a weight I have used with Ergo Clears. It is said to be a very good weight for Ergo Clears, striking a balance between power and ergonomics.

[In my opinion, even 65 G 14mm is more than is necessary for any 1U Ergo Clear key, so it is certainly a high weight for Browns.]

The highest common weight I see used with MX Browns is 63.5 G 15mm. So 62 G is entirely reasonable in this context. You may wish to consider 14mm 62 G springs, which are enough to power the spacebar on some Ergo Clear builds.

Personally, with Browns, I like to use lighter weights, turning them into "Ergo Browns." For example, I think that the 58.5 G Meteor Orange is an excellent switch, once it is suitably modified. On the other hand, it is important to remember that the spring weight is a large part of the MX Brown's 'tactility,' and going too low could create an unsatisfying switch.

In short, if you want 65 G, I recommend building Ergo Clears or something similar [there are many choices these days.] For Browns, I would say that 55 - 63.5 G springs are the most common weights.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #189 on: Mon, 24 July 2023, 18:16:02 »

I heard bad things about machine based actuation like the ones that most "butter browns" and that they ruin the leafs of the switches, due to the force that these machines press at, especially over the course of 500,000 actuations, I have heard those machines are fine only for about 10000 actuations, which to be fair is more than enough for them to be really smooth. I still break in switches by hand, because while it isn't as consistent, leafs won't be damaged and the inconsistency of the presses means that other areas will be smoother rather than a single area that is smoooth.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #190 on: Mon, 24 July 2023, 19:19:50 »
I participated in some machine-actuation of MX Browns and other switches. Far fewer than 500,000 actuations were used, as those kinds of numbers can do damage. (Yes, the "Butter Browns" probably use too many actuations.)

I wasn't really impressed by machine-actuation results. Cherry switches, in particularly, did not improve much. But it is the case that worn-in MX Browns are much nicer to use than mediocre, stock ones.

Ultimately, you are justified in breaking-in switches by hand. The best thing to do with MX Browns would be break them in by hand, and then spring-swap them with lubed aftermarket springs. Lubing and filming the switches is optional. Then, put them in your choice of build. Personally, I think top-mount and polycarb/POM would be optimal.

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #191 on: Mon, 24 July 2023, 20:07:57 »
I participated in some machine-actuation of MX Browns and other switches. Far fewer than 500,000 actuations were used, as those kinds of numbers can do damage. (Yes, the "Butter Browns" probably use too many actuations.)

I wasn't really impressed by machine-actuation results. Cherry switches, in particularly, did not improve much. But it is the case that worn-in MX Browns are much nicer to use than mediocre, stock ones.

Ultimately, you are justified in breaking-in switches by hand. The best thing to do with MX Browns would be break them in by hand, and then spring-swap them with lubed aftermarket springs. Lubing and filming the switches is optional. Then, put them in your choice of build. Personally, I think top-mount and polycarb/POM would be optimal.

Yeah I feel you need to work to make cherry swtiches extremely good (and other scratchy switches like creams and even jwks to a lesser extent), you can't just pop them into a board and it's smooth. I do think lubing helps so unless it's smooth enough you should lube most times (maybe with an oil and not a grease as you just want a thin layer) , just don't lube the legs. Also spring swapping in general is necessary for all cherry switches, even if you like the weighting. Cherry springs just aren't very good.

I also prefer softer plates like poly-carbonate as the softer bottom out works a lot better than the alu. I remember using high bump tactiles (I think they were glorious pandas) on alu and it was very uncomfortable after a while, especially compared to the linears that I prefer (I do want to mention that it was a very stiff typing experience in general so that may have the affect), but that would be the same for most. From what I tried the mounting doesn't really have an affect, I think it's what you prefer in terms of mounting style, so I feel that top mount and gasket mounts would both work, but maybe that's because I really don't have a preference when it comes to mounting and as long as it feels nice I'm happy, maybe not tray mount though it's just too stiff.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #192 on: Mon, 24 July 2023, 20:12:19 »
Yes, I was going to say, if going for crispness and consistency, use top-mount. For a softer feel, gasket should be fine.

Polycarb and POM are good materials for light-tactiles. Sometimes, though, a switch is so light [e.g. 55 G Mallo] that the metal plate can give it more authority. If the switch is smooth and lubed properly, an alum plate won't be so harsh.

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #193 on: Mon, 24 July 2023, 20:38:11 »
Yes, I was going to say, if going for crispness and consistency, use top-mount. For a softer feel, gasket should be fine.

Polycarb and POM are good materials for light-tactiles. Sometimes, though, a switch is so light [e.g. 55 G Mallo] that the metal plate can give it more authority. If the switch is smooth and lubed properly, an alum plate won't be so harsh.

55g switches seem too light, especially for a tactile, but yeah I agree mostly, I would imagine that top mount would be better as well as the mounting makes the switches feel more stable. I think some of the harshness of when I used those glorious pandas was that they were kinda scratchy (they were lubed with 204g0 though), maybe breaking them in would have helped, but I think most of that feeling comes with high bump tactiles being more scratchy on the tactile bump due to the friction that comes with the larger protrusion on the stem contacting the leaf.

would 55g browns be viable? I would never use them but I'm not sure how good they would be, If I would use 55g springs, then I would try them with linears first (I might actually do that just to see if I like it more, I mainly use 62g at the moment so I might do a cheap build to try it out.)

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #194 on: Mon, 24 July 2023, 22:43:26 »
Large-bump tactiles can be scratchy. I think that the stronger tactile leaf can lead to greater noise and scratch. Plus, stronger springs tend to be louder.*

But it doesn't have to be this way. Some well-built large tactiles are very smooth. For example, Holy Bobas [Halo stem in Boba housing] are pretty smooth. You only really need to lube the stem. With 3204 or 205g0. And spring, of course.

So I think heavy-tactile scratch in large part is a result of poor manufacturing practices. If you try the new MMD Princess, which are extraordinarily cheap, they are built fairly smooth, and I wouldn't characterize them as 'scratchy.'

55 G light-tactiles isn't so bad. KTT Mallo is ok in that weight. But I agree that, in Brown-like switches, it's dangerous to go lightweight. Strangely, it seems to work fine with a lot of heavy-tactiles. Like HPs, U4T, and U4. I think it's because the large tactile bump still contributes a lot to the peak weight/force of the switch, despite the weaker spring. [And powerful 55 G L springs work very well with T1s, Ergo Clears, etc...]

Anyway, 55 G Browns would work, although that isn't a good weight for Cherry in my experience. Maybe 55 G 14mm TX, as some people have recommended. 63.5 G is popular as a heavy Brown, it seems to be good with light-tactiles. 55 G Ergo Clears work surprisingly-well. You might want to try TTC Watermelon Milkshake or Golden Brown V2 - 3 as examples of somewhat heavier Browns. Durock also uses 67 G as standard weight in Durock Light Tactile. It's excessive, IMHO, but maybe TTC strikes a better middle-ground.

55 G linears work. There's WS Yellow, which I think is around that weight. I liked it better than 55 G Cherry Brown. Akko Cream Yellow V3 Pro is around 50 G 18mm. For weights like this in tactiles, I think 52 G OUTEMU springs are okay with Silent Sky stems in smooth linear housings.

*I think that light-tactiles are actually more vulnerable to manufacturing imperfections and design flaws. Because any deviation from linear and limited-bump will be noticed. Any deviation from the ideal push-feel stands out.

Look how hard it is to find a decent out-of-box Brown. Conversely, there are several more tactile switches that are fine or even good out-of-box. Any small thing that goes wrong on a light-tactile is noticeable. They require skill to perfect.

Offline StefanVoda

« Reply #195 on: Tue, 25 July 2023, 06:41:38 »
The highest common weight I see used with MX Browns is 63.5 G 15mm. So 62 G is entirely reasonable in this context. You may wish to consider 14mm 62 G springs, which are enough to power the spacebar on some Ergo Clear builds.

In short, if you want 65 G, I recommend building Ergo Clears or something similar [there are many choices these days.] For Browns, I would say that 55 - 63.5 G springs are the most common weights.

Sadly I never really like short springs. Might try it with Browns for giggles.
Tried Ergo Clears! My favourite configuration is with 65g 16mm springs!

Thanks for sharing!
ai03xkevinplus POLARIS | WG Vint MX Black/Gateron Yellow KS-3X47

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #196 on: Tue, 25 July 2023, 11:20:49 »
Some punchy 'light' springs may work well with Browns. If you like Long springs, 55 G 16mm will work. You might even try 18mm.

Your Ergo Clear configuration sounds good. For Durock Medium Tactiles [a different 'Ergo Clear'], you might particularly enjoy the RARA V2 with the 63.5 G ThiccThocc DL springs. Sure, they are loud springs, maybe pingy, but this is where 63-5 G 18-22mm springs make sense. [Would make sense in Durock "Midnight" tactiles, as well.] You can have a smooth and punchy Ergo Clear with huge springs in that range.

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #197 on: Tue, 25 July 2023, 17:45:05 »
Large-bump tactiles can be scratchy. I think that the stronger tactile leaf can lead to greater noise and scratch. Plus, stronger springs tend to be louder.*

But it doesn't have to be this way. Some well-built large tactiles are very smooth. For example, Holy Bobas [Halo stem in Boba housing] are pretty smooth. You only really need to lube the stem. With 3204 or 205g0. And spring, of course.

So I think heavy-tactile scratch in large part is a result of poor manufacturing practices. If you try the new MMD Princess, which are extraordinarily cheap, they are built fairly smooth, and I wouldn't characterize them as 'scratchy.'

55 G light-tactiles isn't so bad. KTT Mallo is ok in that weight. But I agree that, in Brown-like switches, it's dangerous to go lightweight. Strangely, it seems to work fine with a lot of heavy-tactiles. Like HPs, U4T, and U4. I think it's because the large tactile bump still contributes a lot to the peak weight/force of the switch, despite the weaker spring. [And powerful 55 G L springs work very well with T1s, Ergo Clears, etc...]

Anyway, 55 G Browns would work, although that isn't a good weight for Cherry in my experience. Maybe 55 G 14mm TX, as some people have recommended. 63.5 G is popular as a heavy Brown, it seems to be good with light-tactiles. 55 G Ergo Clears work surprisingly-well. You might want to try TTC Watermelon Milkshake or Golden Brown V2 - 3 as examples of somewhat heavier Browns. Durock also uses 67 G as standard weight in Durock Light Tactile. It's excessive, IMHO, but maybe TTC strikes a better middle-ground.

55 G linears work. There's WS Yellow, which I think is around that weight. I liked it better than 55 G Cherry Brown. Akko Cream Yellow V3 Pro is around 50 G 18mm. For weights like this in tactiles, I think 52 G OUTEMU springs are okay with Silent Sky stems in smooth linear housings.

*I think that light-tactiles are actually more vulnerable to manufacturing imperfections and design flaws. Because any deviation from linear and limited-bump will be noticed. Any deviation from the ideal push-feel stands out.

Look how hard it is to find a decent out-of-box Brown. Conversely, there are several more tactile switches that are fine or even good out-of-box. Any small thing that goes wrong on a light-tactile is noticeable. They require skill to perfect.

Thanks for the great amount of detail with this. I'm actually planning on buying a new batch of hyperglide browns for an ergo build, and will probably use 62g springs cause that is what I'm used to. Definitely would wanna try out 55g linears on like a 40s through-hole type build though cause I think that would be a cool project