Author Topic: [IC] Parallax Imperium TKL  (Read 10308 times)

Offline Parallax Keyboards

[IC] Parallax Imperium TKL
« on: Sun, 03 September 2023, 18:30:23 »
302330-0

INTRODUCTION:

Allow me to introduce myself...I am Danny, a keyboard enthusiast from the UK.
I have recently setup my UK based company, Parallax Keyboards Limited.
After being in the hobby for the past 3 years and moderating on discord for some well known and established keyboard brands, I have decided to take it upon myself to start designing and producing keyboards. Design is something that I have always been keen to learn in more detail and what better way than mixing two hobbies and interests together. I have loved designing this keyboard and have invested 100's of hours into this project but the sense of accomplishment and achievement far out weighs anything else.

THE KEYBOARD DESIGN:

Originally this keyboard was going to be designed and made for purely myself (I had no intention of releasing a GB), however after receiving some awesome feedback and interest from friends and fellow hobbyists I have decided to release my design to the world.
When designing this keyboard I wanted to create something that was simple, yet elegant and had a premium look and feel to it. I am hopeful I have been able to achieve this with the use of premium materials, intricate engravings, beautiful chamfers and angles which all correlate around the keyboard. 

So, I guess this leaves me with the pleasure of introducing you all to the Parallax Imperium TKL.

PARALLAX IMPERIUM TKL:

• F13 TKL keyboard
  • WKL or WK variants
  • Top mount o-ring system
  • Case material: Aluminium
  • Weight and accent piece materials: Copper or Brass
  • Magnetized rear accent pieces
  • 7 degree typing angle
  • Front case height: 18.4mm (with bump-ons/feet)
  • PCB's designed by Gondolindrim
  • Solder and Hotswap PCB's available (comes with soldered PCB)
  • Supplied with anodized black aluminium plate
  • Supplied with daughterboard and JST
  • Estimated weight (bare keyboard including weight, accent pieces and plate): 2.1Kg

302334-1

LAYOUT:

302332-2

PLATE AND MOUNTING SYSTEM:

302340-3

(Shown in copper BUT will be supplied with anodized black aluminium plate)

302336-4

302338-5

RENDERS:

WKL variant:

302316-6

WK variant:

302318-7

Copper:

302320-8

302358-9

302322-10

Brass:

302324-11

302326-12

302328-13

Base detail:

302342-14

FURTHER INFO:

• Price: TBC
  • Number of units: Aiming for 30-50 units depending on interest received
  • Vendors: TBC (In contact with two at present)
  • Prototypes: Manufacturer located and confirmed but proto's not yet ordered
  • PCB design: In progress

ACCESSORIES:

What is a keyboard without some accessories?

Introducing the Parallax Imperium Wrist Rest:

302344-15

302346-16

(Shown with a copper front weight, however a brass weight will also be an option to match the keyboard weights)

Other accessories:

• Hotswap ANSI PCB's designed by Gondolindrim
  • Parallax Artisan produced by Vkeycaps
  • Range of other plate materials to be available (brass, carbon fibre, FR4)

LINKS:

For further updates and pictures with regards to this project, please feel free to join the discord server or Instagram page by clicking the links below:

discord.gg/TjHxpSpSNp
https://www.instagram.com/parallaxkeyboards/

UPDATES:
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 September 2023, 19:19:48 by Parallax Keyboards »

Offline expletive

• ExpletiveGG TTV
Re: [IC] Parallax Imperium TKL
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 September 2023, 14:23:18 »
wow this is very clean.

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 September 2023, 15:20:53 »
It's nice to hear you like it. Thanks  :)

Offline Mechboards

• * Vendor
  • Mechboards UK
    • Mechboards
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 September 2023, 08:48:17 »
Looks really nice! Hi from the UK :)

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 September 2023, 16:09:28 »
Appreciating the UK support, thanks  :)

Offline Exclusive

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 September 2023, 09:42:03 »
I know a broke Australian bloke who keeps looking at this IC and hoping to afford it.

That bloke is me...

The board is absolutely stunning, cannot wait to see some reviews on it!

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 September 2023, 12:26:59 »
it looks amazing, but the company branding on the weight is not it imo.

Offline nii427

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 October 2023, 23:12:57 »
Love it. This one is so cool.

Offline QWER|key

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 25 October 2023, 04:07:36 »
Any news on this?  Prototype done yet? 

Offline Sieglinde

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 25 October 2023, 09:01:53 »
It looks good but if the back already has the logo why put it again on the front? Removing the logo above the arrow cluster would be a good change.

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 October 2023, 15:09:26 »
Evening all,

I hope you are all keeping well!

Sorry for the lack of posts and updates. I've had a lot going on as of recent due to finding out that my wife is pregnant  :thumb:

However, the Parallax Imperium is still in progress and moving along nicely. I am just now in the process of carrying out the final fitment checks by producing a 3D printed model on a high end printer. You will all be pleased to hear that everything is looking spot on and no adjustments from the original design have needed to be made. Hopefully by doing this it will save a lot of money during the CNC prototyping stage.

I am still in talks with the manufacturer and the next step will be to order the prototypes.

I am also in the process of designing a website for Parallax Keyboards Limited.

I welcome any constructive criticism and have taken on board the couple of comments about the Parallax logo being on the front of the keyboard, however I still personally feel as though it makes the keyboard slightly more individual.

I have had a lot of newcomers on my discord server as of late who I feel also appreciate the design language and aesthetic of the Imperium and if I was to now remove the logo it would have more of a negative effect. Going forward, to try and accommodate the constructive criticism I will make sure that there is the option on future designs to not carry the Parallax branding on the front (I already have another design in the pipeline and there is no PX logo on the top case. More details on this will be released once the sale concludes on the Parallax Imperium).

I look forward to being able to share more details with you all in the near future.

« Last Edit: Wed, 25 October 2023, 15:11:35 by Parallax Keyboards »

Offline QWER|key

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 26 October 2023, 13:17:16 »
Just to add...  I like the logo on the front. I think a machined logo (no colours) between arrow and nav keys looks good on a TKL. I mean, no one complains about TGR being on the Jane twice :)  I agree... it differentiates it in a subtle way.

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 26 October 2023, 15:13:54 »
Thanks for this awesome feedback. It makes it all the more worth while receiving comments like this.  :thumb:

Offline FitLabb

• FitLabb
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 08 November 2023, 07:49:01 »
Evening all,

I hope you are all keeping well!

Sorry for the lack of posts and updates. I've had a lot going on as of recent due to finding out that my wife is pregnant  :thumb:

However, the Parallax Imperium is still in progress and moving along nicely. I am just now in the process of carrying out the final fitment checks by producing a 3D printed model on a high end printer. You will all be pleased to hear that everything is looking spot on and no adjustments from the original design have needed to be made. Hopefully by doing this it will save a lot of money during the CNC prototyping stage.

I am still in talks with the manufacturer and the next step will be to order the prototypes.

I am also in the process of designing a website for Parallax Keyboards Limited.

I welcome any constructive criticism and have taken on board the couple of comments about the Parallax logo being on the front of the keyboard, however I still personally feel as though it makes the keyboard slightly more individual.

I have had a lot of newcomers on my discord server as of late who I feel also appreciate the design language and aesthetic of the Imperium and if I was to now remove the logo it would have more of a negative effect. Going forward, to try and accommodate the constructive criticism I will make sure that there is the option on future designs to not carry the Parallax branding on the front (I already have another design in the pipeline and there is no PX logo on the top case. More details on this will be released once the sale concludes on the Parallax Imperium).

I look forward to being able to share more details with you all in the near future.

First off, congrats on finding out you guys have a baby on the way! As a father of 2 boys, I can tell you that it’s the best thing in the world being a parent, and I wish you and your wife all the best!!!

Secondly, I really love the design of this board. You’re always going to have a multitude of opinions out there, especially in this early stage, and taking the constructive feedback as it’s offered in that way is an important thing to do. If anyone takes that too far and tries forcing their thoughts or beliefs on you, or is less than kind in their feedback, then just ignore it. I personally think you’re onto something here with a very aesthetically pleasing design, and wish you good luck with it!
Founder of FitLabb.com - an online fitness & nutrition platform
YouTube - FitLabb

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 08 November 2023, 10:21:14 »
Thank you very much for the message. I truly do appreciate the kind words about the Imperium along with your words of wisdom.
Me and my wife are both super excited, there is just an awful lot to try and sort before the baby arrives.

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 08 November 2023, 10:36:17 »
Hello all,

I wanted to share with you all some pictures of the 3D printed prototype of the Parallax Imperium which I have produced. The prototype has been painted using the correct colour pantone. Hopefully it will give you all a real idea of what the Parallax Imperium will look like once produced.
*Please note due to the prototype being 3D printed (in sections), there may be some imperfections due to the layers during printing. For example: the keyboard base inner tray has visible steps on the prototype, however this will be smooth as per the renders. To add to this further, the bump on's used on the 3D printed prototype are temporary and not the actual feet that will be used on the retail models.

304034-0

304036-1

304038-2

304040-3

304042-4

304044-5

304046-6

304048-7

304050-8