Author Topic: Looking to get new equipment - sit/stand desk or better chair?  (Read 5668 times)

Offline new_to_theinternet

Looking to get new equipment - sit/stand desk or better chair?
« on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 13:44:30 »
Hey everyone, I was wondering if I could get your opinion on a new purchase for my battlestation. I'm going to budget around $500 for either a sit/stand desk (probably the IKEA Bekant) or a nicer chair (Herman miller aeron?). I currently have an OK chair that has some decent features (adjustable arm rests, lumbar support), but ever since trying out an aeron chair I've had my eyes on it. On the other hand, I feel like I might benefit more from the option to stand with a sit/stand desk. Thoughts?

Offline bcredbottle

Re: Looking to get new equipment - sit/stand desk or better chair?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 14:03:25 »
A chair will only do so much b/c the basic problem is sitting for extended periods.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 01:41:37 »
Personally, I'd go for the sit/stand desk first.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline rsantos97

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 12:36:36 »
I was in the same boat as you, looking for something ergonomic to add to my work environment.  I wound up purchasing a Leather Steelcase Leap first.  That was a huge mistake, luckily I only paid $585 for it instead of the actual price because that is one uncomfortable chair which made my back hurt.  I then wound up purchasing an Ergotron Workfit-s, which is a sit/stand solution that you can use on top of an existing desk.  It is not bad, but I rather just get a good comfortable chair.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 13:34:45 »
Depends on your habits. If you sit for extended periods of time, then a standing desk is advisable. If you're like me, and get up at least once an hour and walk around, a better chair may be a more worthwhile purchase.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline RyanArr

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 20:56:26 »
I'd take a look at the Ikea Skarsta desk. It's crank adjusted, which is not nearly as convenient, but it's very cheap and much more stable than the Bekant. Then buy a chair with the money you save.

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 21:46:23 »
I'd take a look at the Ikea Skarsta desk. It's crank adjusted, which is not nearly as convenient, but it's very cheap and much more stable than the Bekant. Then buy a chair with the money you save.

Interesting, didn't see that last time I looked. Do you have first-hand experience with it?

Offline RyanArr

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 00:13:43 »
Interesting, didn't see that last time I looked. Do you have first-hand experience with it?

I do. It's the desk I work at every day (except this week; it's in storage due to construction, otherwise I'd have pics). Picked it up a few weeks ago and I really like it. The crank is a little annoying for moving it all the way between max and min height, but is actually nicer than a motor IMHO for smaller adjustments. I've tried the Bekant at Ikea a couple of times and found it very unstable. The Skarsta also had a little flex when I tried it in the store, but when I shook both of them I found the flex in the Skarsta was all in the poor attachment of the table top, while the Bekant flexes in the legs. I can add extra bolts to the table top, I can't make the leg itself work better than designed.

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 01:06:58 »
i haven't really explored into chairs, but I've sat in several and I love my IKEA Markus, long back is awesome. I'm 6'4".

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline raymogi

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 01:12:39 »
Can never go wrong with the Aeron. I've had mine for 3 years already and it's treating me well.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 01:19:44 »
i haven't really explored into chairs, but I've sat in several and I love my IKEA Markus, long back is awesome. I'm 6'4".

+1 on the markus, especially for tall people. Maybe you can budget enough for a markus and that ikea  skarsta?

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 17:31:46 »

I do. It's the desk I work at every day (except this week; it's in storage due to construction, otherwise I'd have pics). Picked it up a few weeks ago and I really like it. The crank is a little annoying for moving it all the way between max and min height, but is actually nicer than a motor IMHO for smaller adjustments. I've tried the Bekant at Ikea a couple of times and found it very unstable. The Skarsta also had a little flex when I tried it in the store, but when I shook both of them I found the flex in the Skarsta was all in the poor attachment of the table top, while the Bekant flexes in the legs. I can add extra bolts to the table top, I can't make the leg itself work better than designed.

Thanks, I've been looking for some good feedback on it. I'm thinking this will probably be the way to go, and I would say the crank lift is justified for being almost half the cost of the Bekant. Is the table top pretty solid? I've got three monitors, two of them on mounts that attach to the table with clamps.

Offline RyanArr

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 02:19:31 »
The top is kind of junk. It's actually sold separately from the frame, so you can pick out other tops at Ikea or get one somewhere else and it wouldn't be hard to attach it. I'm planning to make my own top at some point. I only got the top that Ikea pairs with it because I picked up a unit in the as-is section for half off. There was nothing wrong with it except some idiot had put it together wrong. I got the two missing bolts replaced at the customer service counter and saved $100.

Offline Burt Macklin

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 04:33:43 »
Thanks for that Skarsta info, that's interesting. I was planning on getting Bekant, but haven't yet had the chance to see them both in person - so if Skarta really is more stable, it'd save me a lot of cash.

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 20:06:39 »
The top is kind of junk. It's actually sold separately from the frame, so you can pick out other tops at Ikea or get one somewhere else and it wouldn't be hard to attach it. I'm planning to make my own top at some point. I only got the top that Ikea pairs with it because I picked up a unit in the as-is section for half off. There was nothing wrong with it except some idiot had put it together wrong. I got the two missing bolts replaced at the customer service counter and saved $100.

Nice. I figured I would like a solid-wood top, maybe down the road as a replacement. Thanks for the info!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 03:40:36 »
I like height-adjustable desks, but I also think there can be great benefit in “alternative” chairs if you can find one that suits you (e.g. saddle chairs, kneeling chairs, bouncy chair-on-a-stick chairs, etc.; personally I have a HÅG Capisco chair, which is amazing for me). If you can, try to find a place which has some of these chairs that you can try for at least a half hour or so at a time, and ideally see if you can borrow one for a few days to see if you like it before buying anything. This place in San Francisco will let you sit and work all day in their showroom if you want to try their chairs: http://www.ergodepot.com/category_s/168.htm

If you’re on a budget, this thing perched on top of any standard chair is pretty nice: http://www.ergodepot.com/HumanTool_Balance_Seat_p/ht-balance.htm

For me personally, standard office chairs, including the $1000 type (Aeron, Steelcase, etc.) are uncomfortable for sitting in more than a few hours per day. I prefer a simple hard wooden chair, like a kitchen chair or whatever, over the kind of chairs in most offices. But changing positions frequently, e.g. sitting on the couch for a while, lying on my side for a while, standing for a while, etc. is very helpful, as is taking frequent breaks to get up and walk around.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 December 2015, 03:44:57 by jacobolus »

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 16:18:44 »
I used a kneeling chair for several years, and rather liked it when I was in 'productivity mode.' Didn't like it when I just wanted to lounge and surf the net or watch some video. I think its a great second chair, if you have the space/desire.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline sinusoid

• fd > ESC
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 14:56:56 »
@keshley - seconded. Good for productivity, bad for lounging, worth to keep around. Had same experiences.

+1 for standing desk.

I'm swapping between standing/sitting position. Don't spend much time on the chair, so I use whatever.

Standing position lets you walk around and stretch, rest parts of the body against the desk parts... You're constantly moving. 

Best thing for sitting ever IMVHO is a bean bag. I used to stack up a few when I had back pain. It supports the body evenly across all contact area, does not enforce a default position, but still forces you to change position once in a while. There are no limits to how you can set these up.