Author Topic: Has anyone changed the controller on a TECK?  (Read 4954 times)

Offline Darkshado

Has anyone changed the controller on a TECK?
« on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 16:29:07 »
Hello,

I'm looking at different ergo keyboard options (I'll probably create another thread about that), and I was quite interested in trying out the TECK. Alas, the numerous issues reported here and their lack of response to a relatively simple e-mail of mine (three weeks ago) means I'm not interested in buying one at all.

Has anyone ever rewired a TECK to use an Arduino or Teensy instead of the built-in Megawin controller? Did it solve the missed and doubled presses if the concerned unit had those?

Regards,

Darkshado

P.S. That CAPTCHA test is really hard to read even for humans, I've had to request replacement images multiple times and aside from mild myopia I'm normally sighted. I suppose it'll go away once I have enough posts, but it could use improvement.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 January 2016, 19:03:16 by Darkshado »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Has anyone changed the controller on a TECK?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 17:26:08 »
Welcome to GH :)

In theory if the switches are good (genuine Cherrys, so unless they're blues they should be) and the PCB works (which it is as the keys work) swapping the controller should fix the problem.

I've never done a TECK but I did mod a Ducky and the principal is the same - you have to map out which switches are connected directly to each other, which diode is for each switch, and which diodes are connected to each other (on the other end from the switch).  If you're lucky they use straight rows and columns on a mostly single sided PCB with diodes near the switches so you can see this easily, if you're unlucky it will be like my Ducky which took lots of poking around with a multimeter to work it out.

Once you know how everything's connected you chose convenient places to connect each of the rows/columns to a pin on the Teensy and note which are connected to what.

Probably the most scary part is removing the original controller - I circled a blowtorch lighter round it for a while then heated the middle and knocked it off with a pair of tweezers.  Needless to say your expensive new keyboard's warranty will be long gone :))

P.S.  Sorry about the CAPTCHA, hope it's gone soon!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline possumgumbo

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 15:23:51 »
I desperately want the Teck to work, too.

My office bought me one ages ago, and it works less every day. I had it shelved for the past six months, and now it only allows the Q key to activate once per 5 seconds.

I am right scared of opening the thing up, though.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 01:47:47 »
It's a good bet that someone on these forums could do it for you.  Take a look at the making things together sub forum.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline intelli78

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 02:20:48 »
Try creating custom firmware with their tool. I had a Teck that misbehaved at first, but a new firmware with a different debounce time fixed it.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline possumgumbo

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 15:05:09 »
Try creating custom firmware with their tool. I had a Teck that misbehaved at first, but a new firmware with a different debounce time fixed it.

That was the first thing I tried. The only key that works now is the Q, and only every 30 or so presses.

Offline glitchathon

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 18:11:14 »
I would love to know this too. I really like the layout and it would be a great spare board. But the double-presses is really bothersome. Until I can find a good and cheap solution to it, I find it unuseable.

Offline spectre

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 06:48:58 »

That was the first thing I tried. The only key that works now is the Q, and only every 30 or so presses.

Didnt work for me either, its so disappointing. If someone ever makes a new pcb for it, please send me a message, I want one but I dont have any know-how to do myself.