Author Topic: Should I switched to Ergodox along with Colemak or should I switch in steps  (Read 3775 times)

Offline User

I will be getting Ergodox keyboard soon. I plan to try Colemak keyboard layout as well. Should I switch in steps (first get used to Ergodox before jumping to Colemak) or do it at once?

Also should I use HW Colemak or SW Colemak? The latter have advantage that I can switch the keyboards in laptop as well from what I understand (in times when I don't use them with plugged keyboard) while the former have advantage of working with any OS out of box including UEFI/BIOS etc. Third method is a layer which switches to HW Colemak.

Offline steve.v

Nothing wrong with using it now. The only prob I may see is the letter C. Tarmac is an option.

Offline jacobolus

Switching both at once will save you trouble later, and help you preserve standard-keyboard QWERTY skill.

Offline Zustiur

Switching both at once will save you trouble later, and help you preserve standard-keyboard QWERTY skill.
I agree with jacobolus. You may as well switch both together, that way the different keyboard shape assists with having two sets of muscle memory.

Offline tuffff

Re: Should I switched to Ergodox along with Colemak or should I switch in steps
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 05:43:28 »
Definitely try switching layout together with any physical change. I did so and now instinctively type NEO on mechanical and QWERTZ on rubberdome keyboards.

Offline nickw

Re: Should I switched to Ergodox along with Colemak or should I switch in steps
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 00:34:49 »
I would suggest learning colemak using tarmak.  I learned it at the same time as I was switching to an ergodox, though I was typing on other keyboards too, all in colemak though.

The learning curve on an ergodox isn't all that big a deal, so doesn't really factor in, IMO.